Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    suit guy felt like he was trying to channel Edna Mode
    This. I was waiting for him to say "No Capes!" the entire time.

I still am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last episode was a lot of fun.

I'd love to see a MST3000 style show with Wong and Madisynn watching Sopranos and True Blood.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I feel like you are maybe overanalysing things a little. The Titania thing appears to happen so quickly because it does happen so quickly. You just kinda gotta embrace the idea that whatever sweat shops are producing and rebranding Titania's products are staffed with like, Santa Elves or something. I mean, sure, it doesn't make any sense that they could do it that quickly...but it doesn't make any sense that the main character in the TV show understands that she's in a TV show, either.

She-Hulk isn't meant to be the connective tissue that shows like WandaVision and Loki were. It's just a fun little romp. It's very much like the "Sensational She-Hulk" comics from thee late 80's/early 90's. When she wanted to get from one place to another in a hurry, she would just step out of one panel and into the next:
    I think my problem is that for me at least its stuck between being dumb and trying for character development, a bit of drama etc. its in a weird in between where its not dumb enough for me to completely turn my brain off, if that makes sense?

and sure its not meant to be connective tissue, I think, but at the same time, it still seems to try to make an effort to connect to other marvel stories, so I'm a little torn on this.

its just... weird and disconnected, you know? like on one hand they are making sure to bring in characters from larger MCU... but on the other hand they still feel superfluous and more like gimmicks then actual connections to a larger narrative. I guess we'll see how the rest of the show turns out, but the more I watch it the more frustrated it makes me. oh I'm giggling while the jokes are happening and actors do great jobs, but ..yanno.
    I think for me, they're just not fully delivering on any of the stuff. The comedy, it's like you can see the idea but they often fail to work out the actual setup and punchline. Same with law/drama stuff, they have the concept, but then it just sort of resolves, without real tension/ build up/ delivery. The scenes are all short, and things just kind of happen.

It's not a bad show, it just feels a bit hollow.

So yeah, there's really no reference for how much time passed between Titania smashing up the courtroom (assuming she got arrested/ charged with something) and SheHulk getting her job and defending Blonsky. It was like one montage.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I think for me, they're just not fully delivering on any of the stuff. The comedy, it's like you can see the idea but they often fail to work out the actual setup and punchline. Same with law/drama stuff, they have the concept, but then it just sort of resolves, without real tension/ build up/ delivery. The scenes are all short, and things just kind of happen.

It's not a bad show, it just feels a bit hollow.

So yeah, there's really no reference for how much time passed between Titania smashing up the courtroom (assuming she got arrested/ charged with something) and SheHulk getting her job and defending Blonsky. It was like one montage.
    hollow is a good word for it, I think. I'm enjoying the way I enjoy chewy candy - its sweet and fun, but also kinda empty and there are times when it gets stuck in your teeth uncomfortably.

hollow is a good word for it, I think. I'm enjoying the way I enjoy chewy candy - its sweet and fun, but also kinda empty and there are times when it gets stuck in your teeth uncomfortably.
    We can roll with that analogy. It's like chewy candy, with all the ups and downs; but it's never going to be a hotdog or an apple, and no one should expect it to become one.

That's not to say there aren't quality differences within chewy candy, of course. Sometimes it's more sweet and fun, sometimes it's more sticky-to-your-teeth. But it's always going to be chewy candy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    We can roll with that analogy. It's like chewy candy, with all the ups and downs; but it's never going to be a hotdog or an apple, and no one should expect it to become one.

That's not to say there aren't quality differences within chewy candy, of course. Sometimes it's more sweet and fun, sometimes it's more sticky-to-your-teeth. But it's always going to be chewy candy.
    And perhaps to the ongoing point; telling people the candy they're enjoying isn't a steak served at a three-Michelin-star restaurant isn't a criticism of the candy in any way whatsoever. It's a demonstration of the critic's unreasonable standards and misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And perhaps to the ongoing point; telling people the candy they're enjoying isn't a steak served at a three-Michelin-star restaurant isn't a criticism of the candy in any way whatsoever. It's a demonstration of the critic's unreasonable standards and misunderstandings.
    fair enough.

I guess I just expected a bag of fresh fudge based on previews and first episode, but some of the pieces are stale and not as good as others and I find it disappointing because the first candy I ate was delicious and I enjoyed it very much,

and the thing is I still pull delicious candies out of the bag, its just that stale ones are randomly mixed in with the fresh ones, and there is just no way to tell when your experience is going to be perfectly great piece of candy and when its going to be a stale bit, getting stuck in your teeth. not until you unwrap and taste it.

P.S. and just because its candy, doesn't mean you don't get to criticize it or hold it to good candy standards.

fair enough.

I guess I just expected a bag of fresh fudge based on previews and first episode, but some of the pieces are stale and not as good as others and I find it disappointing because the first candy I ate was delicious and I enjoyed it very much,

and the thing is I still pull delicious candies out of the bag, its just that stale ones are randomly mixed in with the fresh ones, and there is just no way to tell when your experience is going to be perfectly great piece of candy and when its going to be a stale bit, getting stuck in your teeth. not until you unwrap and taste it.

P.S. and just because its candy, doesn't mean you don't get to criticize it or hold it to good candy standards.
    That candy company that has made stuff you liked before has made a new candy with a vague description and mascot on the packaging, if it doesn't live up to your hopes, it's obviously your fault for having expectations.

Anyway, probably too harsh, since the show isn't bad. The idea that any criticism has to be shut down is just silly to me.
    I didn't really care for the first episode much. The others have had a better framework, I just wish they actually had any meat on the bones.
    Last edited by Svifnymr; 2022-09-16 at 11:20 PM.

That candy company that has made stuff you liked before has made a new candy with a vague description and mascot on the packaging, if it doesn't live up to your hopes, it's obviously your fault for having expectations.
    No, it's more like the company who made burgers and fries now came out with a candy, and people are going "sorry where are the fries exactly, and why is there no patty and no bun anywhere?!".

No, it's more like the company who made burgers and fries now came out with a candy, and people are going "sorry where are the fries exactly, and why is there no patty and no bun anywhere?!".
    Then you must have lost the allegory. Or, I guess you just think that Disney can't make a comedy like a bajillion other comedies that do it better? Not sure. You really don't think much of Disney writers I guess?

- - - Updated - - -

Am I allowed to criticize the Disney+ interface? Because it's just bleh. They should just have a "skip to credit scene" option also. So many things they could have learned from a dozen other setups. Though, that's not a SheHulk thing (and I'm actually watching Ms Marvel atm anyway), still silly.

Then you must have lost the allegory. Or, I guess you just think that Disney can't make a comedy like a bajillion other comedies that do it better? Not sure. You really don't think much of Disney writers I guess?
    Comedy is subjective. You may find other shows have comedy you enjoy more...but that doesn't mean they "do it better". Personally, I'm very much enjoying the comedy and it is exactly what I was expecting.

Am I allowed to criticize the Disney+ interface? Because it's just bleh.
    Personally, I think it's decent enough...no worse than Netflix and way better than Prime. Though i would love it if streamers would allow some customization to the UI. Filter out genres I don't watch, allow me to move categories around, stuff like that. I realize it's not as simple as that...since they already have to make the apps compatible with different platforms...but it is on my wishlist of features.

They should just have a "skip to credit scene" option also. So many things they could have learned from a dozen other setups. Though, that's not a SheHulk thing (and I'm actually watching Ms Marvel atm anyway), still silly.
    Does any other streaming service have a "Skip to Post-Credits Scene" option? I haven't specifically looked for that feature...but I haven't noticed it on my other streaming services. Seems like it would defeat the purpose of placing those scenes after the credits though.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Comedy is subjective. You may find other shows have comedy you enjoy more...but that doesn't mean they "do it better". Personally, I'm very much enjoying the comedy and it is exactly what I was expecting.
    Comedy is subjective, and discussing opinions about such seems like a good use for message boards.
    I didn't really have any expectations of the show, but some folks just dismiss the discussion as if there's no room for improvement? Not that Disney is reading this board, obviously, anymore than they'll read the compliments.

Personally, I think it's decent enough...no worse than Netflix and way better than Prime. Though i would love it if streamers would allow some customization to the UI. Filter out genres I don't watch, allow me to move categories around, stuff like that. I realize it's not as simple as that...since they already have to make the apps compatible with different platforms...but it is on my wishlist of features.
    Some of it might just be the browser, I could swear there was a "skip intro" option before when I had D+, but it's been a while. (I just get it every now and then for a month and watch all the stuff I missed... and they had a $1.99 deal!)

Does any other streaming service have a "Skip to Post-Credits Scene" option? I haven't specifically looked for that feature...but I haven't noticed it on my other streaming services. Seems like it would defeat the purpose of placing those scenes after the credits though.
    No, they don't, but they should. And yeah I guess it's silly to even put them in if you'll let people skip to them, but I just skim through to find them so I don't know what they gain other than a "tradition" that's not that old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, probably too harsh, since the show isn't bad. The idea that any criticism has to be shut down is just silly to me.
    This remains an entirely fictional persecution complex. There is no campaign to oppose any and all criticism. I've criticised aspects of the show. I've had no "shutting down" by anyone, except the types pushing misogyny in the guise of "criticism" at least.

It's like with the new Little Mermaid. Criticism that she's black is just racists being shitmongering fuckbrains. There's no "criticism" there; they're just racist as fuck. Criticism that the live-action remakes are at best useless trademark reinforcement (as this one seems to be) or at worst, actively crap on the themes from the original (like the new Pinocchio) or just fail to communicate emotions properly (the new Lion King) don't get any real pushback, because those criticisms are on the actual material, not the critic's bigotry-laden personal agenda.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-09-17 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This remains an entirely fictional persecution complex. There is no campaign to oppose any and all criticism. I've criticised aspects of the show. I've had no "shutting down" by anyone, except the types pushing misogyny in the guise of "criticism" at least.
    Campaign, nyah, shutting down with dismissive stuff like this, sure. It's pretty normal for almost any discussion on this forum. Draw the lines and defend them.

I mean, unless you really think anyone saw the trailers for SheHulk and were expecting steak? I guess it's possible.

Anyway, no point to discussing how discussion is discussed, just another loop. We'll see how Daredevil goes.

I didn't really care for the first episode much. The others have had a better framework, I just wish they actually had any meat on the bones.
    no its more like company advertised bagged candy in flavors that were appealing to me, I ate first candy and it was pretty good, but then some of the candies in a bag are misshapen and half melted, wrappers are stuck to some of them so badly you cannot completely separate candy from wrapper and every once in a while, you pull out a candy that is stale.

maybe some people, but not all of us. you CAN criticize candy on merits applicable to candy, just because its candy doesn't mean its flaws are excusable or cannot be pointed out. a half melted candy with a wrapper stack to it, might still taste just as sweet, but those wrapper pieces you end up spitting out are STILL annoying.

edited to add... these is a skip credits button on Disney (at least browser version, one of these days I'll actualy watch something on my TV, but today is not that day) and it takes you to mid or post credits scene. its not exactly clear that this is what it does... but I clicked cause I was curious and ... there it was.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2022-09-17 at 12:42 AM.

Comedy is subjective, and discussing opinions about such seems like a good use for message boards.
    I didn't really have any expectations of the show, but some folks just dismiss the discussion as if there's no room for improvement? Not that Disney is reading this board, obviously, anymore than they'll read the compliments.
    I'm just saying if we're agreeing that comedy is subjective... it's better to avoid terms like "do it better"

Some of it might just be the browser, I could swear there was a "skip intro" option before when I had D+, but it's been a while. (I just get it every now and then for a month and watch all the stuff I missed... and they had a $1.99 deal!)
    Well, there's definitely a "Skip Intro" option on my TV's version of the D+ app. But yeah, it might not be on the browsers veersion.

No, they don't, but they should. And yeah I guess it's silly to even put them in if you'll let people skip to them, but I just skim through to find them so I don't know what they gain other than a "tradition" that's not that old.
    Post Credits scenes had been around for quite some time before Marvel started making them a part of the viewing experience. They first started showing up in the 60's.

The first one I remember ever seeing was at the end of the Masters of the Universe Movie way back in '87.

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Well, there's definitely a "Skip Intro" option on my TV's version of the D+ app. But yeah, it might not be on the browsers veersion.
    The "next episode" thing is always mistimed too, but I am pretty sure that was always a thing. Just easier to exit and select the next episode.

no its more like company advertised bagged candy in flavors that were appealing to me, I ate first candy and it was pretty good, but then some of the candies in a bag are misshapen and half melted, wrappers are stuck to some of them so badly you cannot completely separate candy from wrapper and every once in a while, you pull out a candy that is stale.
    I thinkit's more like you pulled out like a Strawberry flavoured candy first, thought it was pretty good...but the next flavour was black licorice or somethng like that and you really didn't like that. That is to say...there isn't anything actually wrong with the candy...there's just some flavours in there that you like more than others.

- - - Updated - - -

The "next episode" thing is always mistimed too, but I am pretty sure that was always a thing. Just easier to exit and select the next episode.
    I remember having that issue when D+ first launched... but I haven't seen it happen much since. Typically doesn't bother me much as long as they aren't cutting off the end of the episode.

I thinkit's more like you pulled out like a Strawberry flavoured candy first, thought it was pretty good...but the next flavour was black licorice or somethng like that and you really didn't like that. That is to say...there isn't anything actually wrong with the candy...there's just some flavours in there that you like more than others.
    I mean, I think most of us can agree that the mediocre CGI contributed to budget which lead to shorter episodes?