7+ Year Old Account
    Decided to check out the show specifically because of this thread.

Was pleasantly surprised. I ended up binge watching all 6 episodes. The show is witty and funny; I love the scenes were Malsany breaks the fourth wall. I regularly found myself laughing out loud.

Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post

Hulk spit that out. Not Banner. Want the video?
    But it didn't kill Banner before Hulk could "spit it out"

Also, since Banner doesn't remember what happens when he's Hulk... his line about the other guy spitting it out is more prosaic than anything. All he would know is he ate a bullet and woke up later, very much alive.

- - - Updated - - -

But that's exactly what you people do. Comparing Tony's accident with a super brawl. Whatever works to not accept that the show has no consistency.
    It wasn't a "superbrawl". Titania wasn't trying to kill Jen... she was trying to get her to Hulk out so she could humiliate her. This is all very clear in the episode.

- - - Updated - - -

But i didn't argue that this happens all the time in MCU. Endus did. I rejected his meme, also your video cause it proves nothing for Tony (so no double standard) and then went back to my initial argument.
    Did you see the video where Hulk backhands black widow and sends her flying into a wall? She lived through that too...unharmed.

And there's also the other video where bruce jumps out of the space ship and hits the ground hard...which proves either

A) Hulks are more durable than normal people even in non hulk form

and/or

B) Humans in the MCU (and action movies in general) are more durable than humans in real life.

You're claiming that Tony was hurt. So, either the next scene happened much later, after he healed, or he wasn't hurt at all.
    No, what he is saying is that Tony clearly wasn't hurt...but he should have been if we used reality as our basis. It's a moment played for laughs...and it wouldn't be very funny if Tony broke every bone in his body... which is why the next scene shows him unharmed.

I posted one of these earlier for Die Hard...but here's another..Home Alone this time:

Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-09-26 at 12:11 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I am still confused how Titania was able to attack a court room in episode 1....somehow then do a trade mark on she hulk...and still make a joke of the court room....the attend a wedding......
    Is the legal side of this just non existent? Its on the same MCU timeline right? I am so confused as to what this show is about, if it was isolated in its own pocket universe...ok...but if this is in the same as our current MCU shows/movies then what is going on with the legal law? Its like the entire thing is just...thrown out the door lol and its a Mr Bean show

And the last episode when mr immortal goes in for legal advice....they treated their client like complete shit....

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Are people literally arguing about what would physically happen in a Superhero movie? If you applied actual physics to a Super hero movie everyone dies.
    not just Superhero movies. action movies in general are just full of absolute shit. people doing crazy action stunts would die like 95% of the time if it weren't a movie. Die Hard is a perfect example of that. John McClane should've been seriously injured/dead within the first few action sequences, he definitely wouldn't have made it to the end of the movie. However that's how the movie has to go, because it would absolutely suck if the protagonist died within the first 30 minutes of the movie, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Couple points I want to make here:

1) The thing about "what people expect from the MCU" is that it's always evolving. What they expected from the MCU in 2008 is different than what they expect in 2022. If the MCU had constrained itself to being "what people expect"...it would never have grown into what it is.

2) Marvel has been very clear about what people should expect from She-Hulk. If some people aren't gettting what they expect...they just weren't paying attention. That doesn't mean they have to like it... not every show is for every person. But there needs to be a line drawn between "this isn't what i wanted" and "this is trash".

3) The MCU has always taken cues from the comics...even if the majority of people aren't aware of it.
    I agree, but the evolution the franchise had was never outside of making action/adventure films and shows with some comedy (sometimes too much comedy). It's not like they made a teen drama about spiderman, it was still an action film.

About your second point i must ask, paying attention to what? All it should take is the trailer and i remeber watching it and expecting just what any other marvel show has delivered: action, ties to a bigger storyline, some comedy. It didn't look bad to be honest.

Not every show is for every person, but i have to insist that the fact that this is part of the MCU is what makes the show be more relevant. When it comes to marvel movies and shows my interest is not in any particular show or character but in the whole cinematic universe. In other words, i'm not watching She-hulk, i'm watching the MCU. And i have no problem with certain plots from the MCU not being of my liking, as it happens with this one, but i will still want to watch it even if it's just for curiosity.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaaara View Post
    I am still confused how Titania was able to attack a court room in episode 1....somehow then do a trade mark on she hulk...and still make a joke of the court room....the attend a wedding......
    Is the legal side of this just non existent? Its on the same MCU timeline right? I am so confused as to what this show is about, if it was isolated in its own pocket universe...ok...but if this is in the same as our current MCU shows/movies then what is going on with the legal law? Its like the entire thing is just...thrown out the door lol and its a Mr Bean show

And the last episode when mr immortal goes in for legal advice....they treated their client like complete shit....
    What's to be confused about? The courtroom debacle may or may not have resulted in criminal charges. Even if it did, bail is a thing. A trademark lawsuit wouldn't be affected one way or another by Titania's other legal complications, nor would attending a local wedding.

And sure; they weren't kind to Mr. Immortal. They're not ethically obliged to be. They got him a dream settlement, so it can't be argued they weren't working in their client's interest. Respect isn't a requirement.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    snip
    ok enough! it's a TV show, for obvious reasons the heroes live despite being in situations where they normally wouldn't. same goes for EVERY SINGLE ACTION MOVIE protagonist in the history of movies. stop looking for a realistic scenario IN A SUPERHERO TV SHOW WHERE A WOMAN CAN TURN INTO A HULK IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    not just Superhero movies. action movies in general are just full of absolute shit. people doing crazy action stunts would die like 95% of the time if it weren't a movie. Die Hard is a perfect example of that. John McClane should've been seriously injured/dead within the first few action sequences, he definitely wouldn't have made it to the end of the movie. However that's how the movie has to go, because it would absolutely suck if the protagonist died within the first 30 minutes of the movie, wouldn't it?
    There's a single fundamental point about stories in general; realism is not valuable unless it serves the narrative somehow. Telling a good story comes before realism, in all cases. I'm sure I've heard somewhere a quote that I'm probably mangling, that stories aren't about literal truth, they're about metaphorical truths. And if realism gets in the way of those metaphorical truths, it is to be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by gaaara View Post
    The same way Paris Hilton gets out of a DUI...celebrity status and money.

THeir client was complete shit. And they still got him an awesome settlement. Mallory is also kind of shitty to Jen during the trademark case....didn't affect her ability to do her job though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    I agree, but the evolution the franchise had was never outside of making action/adventure films and shows with some comedy (sometimes too much comedy). It's not like they made a teen drama about spiderman, it was still an action film.
    Wandavision says hi.

About your second point i must ask, paying attention to what? All it should take is the trailer and i remeber watching it and expecting just what any other marvel show has delivered: action, ties to a bigger storyline, some comedy. It didn't look bad to be honest.
    The trailers clearly show Jen breaking the 4th wall and talking to the audience directly. They leaned a lot heavier into the comedy than the action as well.

Not every show is for every person, but i have to insist that the fact that this is part of the MCU is what makes the show be more relevant. When it comes to marvel movies and shows my interest is not in any particular show or character but in the whole cinematic universe. In other words, i'm not watching She-hulk, i'm watching the MCU. And i have no problem with certain plots from the MCU not being of my liking, as it happens with this one, but i will still want to watch it even if it's just for curiosity.
    And it's fine if you choose to watch it...but you still have to keep in mind that just because it isn't what you are looking for from a marvel show...that doesn't mean it's "bad"...it's just not for you. I don't like Grey's Anatomy...and I won't force myself to watch every episode of Grey's Anatomy just so I can go on the internet and tell Grey's Anatomy fans that Grey's Anatomy is a terrible show. I focus on the things i do like.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-09-26 at 01:05 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You're missing the point.

The point is, ALL movies and shows are wildly inconsistent with this stuff ALL THE TIME.

So why does it suddenly matter here, when it's been going on for 100+ years in cinema?
    Sometimes the varying power levels is more irksome than others and this IS the thread to talk about SheHulk. I mentioned that some of the stuff in SheHulk has gotten a bit on the silly side for me, power variance wise, but it's not enough to turn me off the show. Falcon & Winter Soldier's first little action sequence with the helicopters did though, bleh. Not the thread to complain about it though. Most of the rest I've watched recently has been within acceptable levels of power variance for me.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

So Bruce was ok after this, but a damn traffic accident causes him to bleed all over his cousin and transform her.

Now is that a double standard or not?
    If you'll notice he wasn't ok. He was broken pretty badly.

Technically the way the Other Guy works is that at the exact fraction of a second upon impact, he transforms. Banner has no special resistance to injury but anything beyond minor injuries will cause him to transform because the Other Guy doesn't want to die. The Thor3 movie scene illustrates this poorly. Same goes for the suicide anecdote. As soon as the bullet touches the back of his throat, he transforms.

His power was being suppressed in the She-Hulk show. Enough to slow down the transformation.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2022-09-26 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    My arguments are based on actually watching the show.
    I have my doubts. Considering you denied the existence of several scenes of the show I have to assume that an episode for you in 10 Minutes long.

Already having pre-existing knowledge of the character helps too.
    Basically what you are saying is that you are not judging the show on it's own merits, but on what better people wrote in better comics about the same character.

There has been a lot of incredibly ridiculous arguments made in this thread, yet you manage to surpass them all again and again.

Your arguments involve conspiracy theories doubtlessly cribbed from some prominent crank on YouTube. It’s like you patiently wait for your talking points to arrive before invading the thread-du-jour and throwing shit everywhere.
    My arguments were based on what everyone could see, if they have seen the show with open eyes. So far the only people that have denied them have been admitting that they haven't seen the show or are denying the existence of several scenes in it.

Besides that, you are prooving that you can't deny the points I make, so you attack me directly. Cute.

The trailers clearly show Jen breaking the 4th wall and talking to the audience directly. They leaned a lot heavier into the comedy than the action as well.
    My point is that nothing about the trailer suggest that this is a sitcom. It can have more comedy than action and not be a sitcom, it can have some plot related to her personal life and still not be a sitcom... just by watching the trailer, from the clips to the music, everything transmits that the show is just as any other marvel show, leaning more towards comedy than action, wich is totally fine.

But let me be clear that i don't make a big deal about this, trailers often work this way. Some trailers end up being better than the show or movie they promote and the point of a trailer is to sell the product.

And it's fine if you choose to watch it...but you still have to keep in mind that just because it isn't what you are looking for from a marvel show...that doesn't mean it's "bad"...it's just not for you. I don't like Grey's Anatomy...and I won't force myself to watch every episode of Grey's Anatomy just so I can go on the internet and tell Grey's Anatomy fans that Grey's Anatomy is a terrible show. I focus on the things i do like.
    You can't dismiss any criticism by saying "it's not bad, you just don't like it". We can enjoy or not a show and still recognize it's qualities and flaws.

To me the show doesn't work well because the elements that should define it as a sitcom are weak at best, the action is sparce and the plot is advancing at the pace of a snail, the CGI looks terrible most of the time and i find the writing to be simply bad and unfunny.
    Last edited by Geckoo; 2022-09-26 at 08:10 AM.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    How do you know how hard he was hit? with his hands in front, he either broke them both or the self sustained hit was not strong enough.

You're claiming that Tony was hurt. So, either the next scene happened much later, after he healed, or he wasn't hurt at all.

And why comparing a scene of an accident with a brawling scene between two super powered women?
    He accelerated up and toward what appears to be a concrete wall. Have you ever hit concrete ... at all? It always hurts and you can determine the speed he hit the wall by analyzing the film. The point in bringing it up is that humans in the MCU appear to be more durable than humans in the real world.

And this doesn't actually address my actual point which is your problem is you could not suspend your disbelief and another reason for bringing up the scene is to show that you did at other points in the MCU. You aren't demanding proof that Iron man didn't get injured, but are wanting an explanation to why Jen wasn't turned to paste with Titania.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I get that, but I mean if you realize that Tony Stark would have died after he attempted to fly in his Mark I (and certainly when the Mark II armor crashed), but having a harder time understanding how a superpower being can pull a punch ... I just don't get it.

It is fine some things you can't suspend your disbelief for, but this argument seems arbitrary because people can pull their punches in real life.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The same way Paris Hilton gets out of a DUI...celebrity status and money.
    Suuuure. For that comparison to work drunk Paris would have had to drive her car directly into a crowd of people with the clear intend of killing them and the only reason no one was killed, was because of another person in the car turning the wheel in the last moment. That is a charge of attempted vehicular manslaughter, which doesn't go away as easily as a DUI.
    We are working in a universe here where even HEROES like the Avengers have their actions restricted because of possible collateral damage thanks to the Sokovia Accords. The fact that a completely irresponsible and nigh brain-dead person like Titania is allowed to run around without having her powers inhibited is just another point where the show doesn't understand the world it is writing for. Her getting away with attempted murder is just the tip of the iceberg of horrendous writing.

Speaking of which. Did Jennifer sign the Accords? Because she is liberally using her powers without anyone from the goverment giving her the right to do it (and for the most ridiculous reasons, like looking good at a wedding) or a thought of collateral damage. As a lawyer she should probably respect the law, right?

Ah what am I saying, she is openly threatening people's lifes to make them accept her agreements. Of course she doesn't respect the law. Considering we constantly see how bad she is at her job and how much she hates it, I have to wonder if the only reason she became a lawyer is because she likes wearing suits and boasting about being a lawyer.

THeir client was complete shit. And they still got him an awesome settlement. Mallory is also kind of shitty to Jen during the trademark case....didn't affect her ability to do her job though.
    The only reason they managed that was because the men and women sueing were incredibly stupid. "Nah, I don't wanna set up me and my children and their children for life with billions of dollars in Apple stock, I want a sincere apology." This kind of stupid doesn't happen unless the writer has no idea how else to make his characters earn a win.
    Besides that, it doesn't matter what kind of a person the guy was. It is their friggin job to be impartial and professional, it is what they are getting a ton of HIS money for. If they can't even defend a guy that cheated his wifes without devolving into a swarm of bickering geese then how in the world are these people supposed to defend actual criminals? Murderers, Rapists... all of that is part of their job.

Of course the writer doesn't even understand that in her attempt to take the piss out of another guy, she instead showed a perfectly valid reason why you should not want a woman in that job. She took the stupid untrue clichee of a "women can't control their emotions, thus women can't be professional" and proved it correct.
    This is the same clichee that Jennifer complained about in episode 1... and now these two are playing into it themselves... proving that the people that called Jen out for being "emotional" and "difficult" might actually have had a point if she showed the same level of professionalism as these two idiots.
    Maybe, if you want your female main characters be seen as professionals in their field, show them being professional, do not show them doing whatever they feel like and then expect everyone to accept that behaviour.

Wandavision says hi.
    Wandavision wasn't a sitcom. It was a drama series that used tropes from a sitcom because the main character in her desperation fled into a world structured after her childhood memories, which were heavily influenced by sitcoms. It fit in line perfectly with other dramatic movies of the MCU like Civil War, Endgame and Infinity War.

It is clear that the MCU is currently throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Multiverse of Madness was called "the first Horror-Movie" of the MCU and it worked well as that, since it had an exceptionally skilled writer with lots of experience behind it, so there is a good chance there might be more. She-Hulk is "the first sitcom" and it failed miserably in every conceivable aspect. Most importantly, it is less funny then the funny scenes in the dramatic movies and shows... so I expect that area of the MCU to go the way of the Dodo.
    Maybe if we had had someone that is actually interested in writing for the character She-Hulk instead of someone that just wanted a plattform to vent her own life's frustrations, this experiment might have succeeded.

Grey's Anatomy is not part of a shared Movie Universe that I have a strong interest in and that is where your comparison fails you. As I pointed out in other posts I treat the MCU just like I treat Star Wars. As a franchise that I have a strong engagement in and want to see succeed. Hence why I expect certain standards to be upheld (mainly in the realms of Lore consistency and overall writing quality).
    Episode 7-9 failed to meet these standards. And spectacularly so, because the new writers had no respect for the lore of the world they were writing for. They couldn't be arsed to do the research needed to deliver a good product and that showed, not to mention that their writing was about as consitent as a molten cheese.

Sure, you could now dismiss my critique by saying that the movies aren't for me. I would counter that 1) I decide what is for me and what isn't, 2) They very well could have been if people hadn't been so brain-dead when making them. I liked the idea of a female Jedi as the main character, it could have been great, but they failed to write her in any way convincing and just turned her into a Mary Sue with a ridiculously stupid backstory and lore-breaking powerlevels.

The same is happening with She-Hulk. It is set in a universe I care about and the main character does interest me, so the series very well could have been for me, if the writing wasn't so hillariously bad. But it is. So my anger stems from the fact that this show is throwing away all the good will it inherently has as part of the MCU because Jessica Gao couldn't be arsed to write with the Lore of the MCU in mind, do her research on lawyering and most of all is treating this friggin show as her personal blog.

The only reason there isn't more loud and public outcry about this is that everyone criticising the show and it's writer is labeled as a misogynist, a cheap put powerful defense, that makes sure that Gao can't be held to the same standards as all other Marvel properties have been, except for Captain Marvel, which, oh wonder, did exactly the same with it's critics.

That people are falling for this tactic is unbelievable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It is fine some things you can't suspend your disbelief for, but this argument seems arbitrary because people can pull their punches in real life.
    Again. If she pulled her punch, how did Jen fly several meters backwards? The force necessary for that would have shattered her jaw or skull, depending where it hit.

If we are going by the established Hulk lore, she should have automatically transformed immediatedly after. Just like Bruce did seconds after landing on the Bifrost.

If we are not going by those rules then we open more questions: Why did she not die? Is her body invulnerable even in Jen form? If so, why does she even have to transform?

This is what I mean when I am complaining about the writing. I just know 100% that Jessica Gao never even thought about these things and probably wouldn have cared if she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I have my doubts. Considering you denied the existence of several scenes of the show I have to assume that an episode for you in 10 Minutes long.

Basically what you are saying is that you are not judging the show on it's own merits, but on what better people wrote in better comics about the same character.

There has been a lot of incredibly ridiculous arguments made in this thread, yet you manage to surpass them all again and again.

My arguments were based on what everyone could see, if they have seen the show with open eyes. So far the only people that have denied them have been admitting that they haven't seen the show or are denying the existence of several scenes in it.

Besides that, you are prooving that you can't deny the points I make, so you attack me directly. Cute.
    Citation please.

They crib stuff directly from the comics yet somehow you're not criticizing the comics for the same reasons. And how do you know if the comics are better? Have you read them?

People directly quote the show back to you and you consistently handwave it because it doesn't suit your agenda. Numerous others in the thread do the same thing, using similar lines. And a few of them were actually dumb enough to show where they got their opinions from.

They crib stuff directly from the comics yet somehow you're not criticizing the comics for the same reasons. And how do you know if the comics are better? Have you read them?
    I haven't read them, hence I am not criticising them. That is a thing I do. I only talk about things I have personally spend time looking at. That I assume it is better might seem a contradiction to that rule at first glance, but my point is simply that any book from any real author is gonna be superior to this show.

Btw. while digging through the net I found an article of someone decrying the Slott comics as misogynistic because of, among other things, Jen's promiscuity. https://www.comicbookherald.com/she-...mnibus-review/

I wonder what that person would say to the show. Jen is after all trying very hard (or swiping very hard) to get a guy in her bed.

Mhm... considering this and my earlier comment on Gao's depiction of Mallory and the Paralegal I am somewhat tempted to rectify my view. Maybe she doesn't hate men, maybe she just hates everyone. That would be very inclusive at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I haven't read them, hence I am not criticising them. That is a thing I do. I only talk about things I have personally spend time looking at. That I assume it is better might seem a contradiction to that rule at first glance, but my point is simply that any book from any real author is gonna be superior to this show.

Btw. while digging through the net I found an article of someone decrying the Slott comics as misogynistic because of, among other things, Jen's promiscuity. https://www.comicbookherald.com/she-...mnibus-review/

I wonder what that person would say to the show. Jen is after all trying very hard (or swiping very hard) to get a guy in her bed.

Mhm... considering this and my earlier comment on Gao's depiction of Mallory and the Paralegal I am somewhat tempted to rectify my view. Maybe she doesn't hate men, maybe she just hates everyone. That would be very inclusive at least.
    You specifically said they were better. The book isn't always better than its adaptation.

You're confusing one person's opinion for reality.

People like to fuck. There's nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't our art reflect real life?

Again you're seeing something that isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Is this still whining that episode one held up a mirror to how some people behave? Reality is tough, I get it.
    It’s just a performance now. People playing their roles for our entertainment.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You're missing the point.

The point is, ALL movies and shows are wildly inconsistent with this stuff ALL THE TIME.

So why does it suddenly matter here, when it's been going on for 100+ years in cinema?
    Of course it matters. One thing MCU has managed to do for the first time in the history of cinema (and now TV) is to bring to live a huge world where various superheroes are born, grow, make friends and enemies and face great challenges. It is all tied and coordinated. There are rules, known powers with limits and powerful foes that can be overcome despite those limits.

Having Banner bleed by an accident in his human form, but She-Hulk after a superpowered punch that sent her flying meters far having no friggin visible injury is inconsistent. It's in the same series. I don't care what other MCU installments have done with their heroes, nor what other movies (lol with Home Alone. It's a fucking joke) have shown. What happened there might make sense in their own frame, story and heroes. Or might not, but have disbelief suspended because of comic relief.

But here, there is an inconsistency of the properties of Hulking. On the same show, on heroes with totally similar, if not identical, superpowers. One bleeds as human, the other takes punches IN THE FACE like it was a schoolyard push.

Also, we have a brawl. We have two opponents, the protagonist and the antagonist fighting. This should have at least some stakes. Something to overcome. Something to actually cause Jen to shift. There should be some cost for the protagonist, who has already "won" the same antagonist twice, and there's not a friggin bleeding nose. Something that would actually deem hulking up necessary to fix it.

It all ends up like the same old shit for the 3rd time. So Jen hulks and breaks Titania's veneers. Yippeee! Hurrah for the show hero! (not). How thrilling and engaging, and also fun and funny fight! (again, not)

Now if you call this good writing or acceptable, it's you fuckin' opinion. And it reflects on you. I call it shit. And i will keep calling it shit, every friggin time, despite your obvious wall arguments. You're not winning anything. So keep going. I know i will, as much as i am interested, bothered or entertained to do so.

I am sorry i will not accept inconsistencies by a subpar writer in one of the shows so she can do her thing, whatever it is. It really briings MCU down 2 notches, if not more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    It’s just a performance now. People playing their roles for our entertainment.
    No, i just want this show to crash and burn. Because it's awfully written. I don't care for winning internet points or fights (lol).

I just hope people read this and make their own decisions.
    /spit@Blizzard