Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Julia Louis, Allison janney are funny and talented. And even they are left to funny side kick characters and no one is bank rolling big solo projects for them
    No one is going to call out this idiot for apparently being unaware of a 7 season award winning show called Veep that very much centered around one of the aforementioned women?
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-10-09 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    No one is going to call out this idiot for apparently being unaware of a 7 season award winning show called Veep that very much centered around one of the aforementioned women?
    "It only won awards because [insert vague misogynistic whining about agendas]."

I really enjoyed Parks and Recreation which is arguably led by Amy Poehler, although I'd say it's more of an ensemble show.

Also Ali Wong has me rolling on the floor laughing. Not much substance in her stand-up but tickles me just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    and it was 100% set up to look as bad as possible.
    1000% chance someone had intentionally set it up to look that way.

Especially when you consider that her "rampage" incident would have lasted all of about a minute in real time, tops, from the point where she becomes angry enough to rip down the screens to the point where she chases the guy through the wall. Yet somehow there were already riot cops with anti super gear ready and waiting when she broke out of the wall? No way in hell that kind of response shows up that fast unless someone tipped them off well in advance that something was likely to happen. In any realistic "spontaneous" hulk-out event, people would barely have even contacted 911 in that amount of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Victoria Wood, Julie Walters (two soups is a masterpiece of comedy), Maxine Peake, Miranda Richardson and Dawn French.

I didn't even leave Britain and named five comedy actresses that are funny.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    She broke a screen, a wall, and captured a guy and then let him go when the cops told her to, that’s not a rampage, some destruction sure but not a rampage.
    With the freak out from Abomination’s rather tame transformation they have now twice shown a huge fear and overreaction of hulk-type transformations, but i really don’t get why. Perhaps just for comedic value/the story, but considering what we’ve seen of the hulk in the movies he and those like him shouldn’t garner that concern. I’m expecting the DODC to break out sentinels before we even have mutants popping out from under every rock if we’re at that level. Could have some fun jabs at defense contractors but that seems like really low hanging fruit.

Also am I the only one that thinks hulk king will get branded into hulkling? It’s too close in name and we’ve had quite a few young avengers name drops.

I think people panicking once one person starts screaming seems like the norm to me. It's not for nothing that you regularly get human stampedes with several deaths and lots of severe injuries just from one person saying they think they saw a bomb or even just having an anxiety attack in tightly packed places. One or two people screaming from someone tearing down a TV-wall and the rest panicking with them is not really far fetched compared to that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because Hollywood was wildly sexist for decades, yes. And still is, in a lot of ways, though it's finally started to improve in the last couple decades. The base argument here was that "women aren't as funny as men", and that's just straight-up misogynistic hatemongering.
    Sexism in Hollywood is the least of their problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    What is their biggest problem?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    What is their biggest problem?
    Oh I dunno, complicity in the child sex trafficking ring run by Epstein and his wife? A lot of celebrities partook in the abuse and victimization of minors and not one of them has paid the price for their participation. It doesn't really surprise me though, because the entertainment media sure as hell isn't holding their feet to the fire like they deserve, considering they are handwaving the child grooming allegations and other criminal behavior of Ezra Miller and Weinstein got away with abusive shit for 40 years.

Oh I dunno, complicity in the child sex trafficking ring run by Epstein and his wife? A lot of celebrities partook in the abuse and victimization of minors and not one of them has paid the price for their participation. It doesn't really surprise me though, because the entertainment media sure as hell isn't holding their feet to the fire like they deserve, considering they are handwaving the child grooming allegations and other criminal behavior of Ezra Miller and Weinstein got away with abusive shit for 40 years.
    If you have any evidence of any celebrities being involved in Epstein's child sex trafficking or any other crimes related to the abuse of children...you should present it to the authorities. The legal system failed with Epstein.

Ezra Miller should probably be investigated, arrested, and prosecuted...but that's a matter for the police and the courts...not Hollywood. Discovery Warner standing by Ezra is a black mark on them... and capitalism... but not Hollywood in general.

And Weinstein got away with it for 40 years specifically because of Sexism in Hollywood.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And Weinstein got away with it for 40 years specifically because of Sexism in Hollywood.
    Yeah I don’t understand how someone can call sexism “the least” of Hollywood’s problems while also referencing Weinstein as one of its biggest…

IDK about "the least", but even if it WAS (and it so, so isn't) - okay? Does that mean it's therefore NOT a problem? Does that mean you can only engage with THE biggest problem and nothing else? Or how many of the top X "big" problems are we required to engage with first, before we get to that one? Is there a list somewhere? Or is this... just some vapid bullshit statement utterly devoid of actual content?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    IDK about "the least", but even if it WAS (and it so, so isn't) - okay? Does that mean it's therefore NOT a problem? Does that mean you can only engage with THE biggest problem and nothing else? Or how many of the top X "big" problems are we required to engage with first, before we get to that one? Is there a list somewhere? Or is this... just some vapid bullshit statement utterly devoid of actual content?
    It's a deflection. I mean, even if we concede that sexism is not the biggest problem in Hollywood (and that's not that hard of a concession to make.. Hollywood is not short on problems)...he's saying it's the least...that every other problem in Hollywood is worse than women being treated as less then men. According to him, Ezra Miller ( who is definitely problematic....but still only a single individual), is a bigger problem than sexism.

And Weinstein, who is certainly a bad dude, isn't actually a problem anymore. But the environment that allowed him to get away with it for so long, again according to him, is the least of the problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Fabulous Mrs. Maisel deserves a shoutout here too.
    I believe it's "Marvelous Ms. Maisel"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    That's nice champ. Now go be pedantic somewhere else.
    Okay grumpy gus. I just figured if you wanted to give a "shout out" to a show... you might want to get the name right.

I am thoroughly enjoying this series, moreso than Loki at least.

The comedy in it is just spot on and hilarious, and the most recent episode left me in a "uh oh!" state, despite the 1st 6 eps being just pure comedy.

I can see how some people don't like the fact that it's not super serious like other marvel movies/series, but I do find it unfortunate that people are just writing it off as bad because of the twerking post-credit scene (which was amazing imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Jesus, thank Christ someone said it. Imagine thinking Julia Louis frickin Dreyfuss was a side character. Her two major roles have been fucking Seinfeld and Veep. I think it's also a not-uncontroversial opinion that she was the best character on Seinfeld too, upstaging Jerry and George in later seasons. She was on SNL before that.

Also, network sitcoms aren't usually popular around here (for good reason, they're basically formulaic and bland), but Janney has been the co-lead (with Anna Faris) on a very successful sitcom called Mom. Never saw an episode, but it lasted for 8 seasons on network TV, which is syndication levels of mainstay comedy. Even in The West Wing she was chief of staff and a major character by the later seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Jesus, thank Christ someone said it. Imagine thinking Julia Louis frickin Dreyfuss was a side character. Her two major roles have been fucking Seinfeld and Veep. I think it's also a not-uncontroversial opinion that she was the best character on Seinfeld too, upstaging Jerry and George in later seasons. She was on SNL before that.

Also, network sitcoms aren't usually popular around here (for good reason, they're basically formulaic and bland), but Janney has been the co-lead (with Anna Faris) on a very successful sitcom called Mom. Never saw an episode, but it lasted for 8 seasons on network TV, which is syndication levels of mainstay comedy. Even in The West Wing she was chief of staff and a major character by the later seasons.
    Julia Lewis is a side character in Seinfeld. The main character Im sure you can figure out. Hints in the name. OK so Veep? Cool. I asked for 5. At least that show is this century compared to the likes of golden girls I guess

Thinking about it more, pretty much every female comedian I've listened to has been great and it's easier to list the ones I don't care for, that being Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer. Their humor just doesn't land with me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Cool. I asked for 5.
    No one is under any obligation to help you justify your dumbass "derr, but women not funny tho" assertion for you.