7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Decided to finally watch this on a slow couple of days at work.

This is badly written.

Kind of a neat idea to frame a stereotypical law-based sitcom in a modern context with metacommentary. They did not pull this off well at all. Shockingly bad writing. I would claim it is lazy writing, but the show had too many passes and still felt pleased about itself.
    The ending made the series better for me, but they really needed to do more to make it work.

The show is just a mess overall. Like what exactly is the main plot? Is it Jen learning to live with her powers? People hating Jen for just getting her powers? A metacommentary on how we see the MCU? Like, there was just too much. It is the weakest of the Phase 4 series by far. Which sucks because the other series show they can at least make something enjoyable or a cohesive story. She-hulk is just a mess.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

There was a scene where the main character popped in frame to look into the camera and remark how cleverly they connected the A and B plots.

This was just all over the place. The logic didn't support the show's ideas at all.

She was like breaking the law, a lot. Which is fine if it's just for comedy purposes. But they also tried to get drama out of it and have two forms of commentary. So I kept asking myself, "Is this the part I take seriously or the part where I am supposed to think this is all a vamp?"

Bad writing.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-12-30 at 07:00 PM.

As somone who's been a fan of She-Hulk and enjoyed a lot of her comics I'd say the series was ok. The cast is pretty good, and the CGI seriously isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

IMO There are two real major issues with the series -

1) It just honestly wasn't funny enough. There were some great moments (Wong + Madisynn, and the villain retreat stand out), but for a comedy it just didn't have enough good jokes that landed. That's the worse thing that can happen to a comedy - Any other issues people had probably could have been looked over if it was just funnier and more consistantly so

2) There was a lot I liked about the finale - It was interesting to do a meta-commentary on Marvel and how they shouldn't always have to build up to some big action finale for resolution... BUT... they'd spent the whole rest of the series building up to a big action finale. It was the writing equivalent of getting blue balls - You build all these threads up and all this foreshadowing all season and then just instantly end it all, giving little resolution or closure.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a scene where the main character popped in frame to look into the camera and remark how cleverly they connected the A and B plots.

This was just all over the place. The logic didn't support the show's ideas at all.

She was like breaking the law, a lot. Which is fine if it's just for comedy purposes. But they also tried to get drama out of it and have two forms of commentary. So I kept asking myself, "Is this the part I take seriously or the part where I am supposed to think this is all a vamp?"

Bad writing.
    Its like someone took a look at a dry erase version of a story board, and just ran with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    2) There was a lot I liked about the finale - It was interesting to do a meta-commentary on Marvel and how they shouldn't always have to build up to some big action finale for resolution... BUT... they'd spent the whole rest of the series building up to a big action finale. It was the writing equivalent of getting blue balls - You build all these threads up and all this foreshadowing all season and then just instantly end it all, giving little resolution or closure.
    I felt like it was a card played too soon. If it was the end goal of the long game, the series could have been methodically crafted to lead up to it seasons later.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Shame it didn't get a second season to try better, I liked most of it though the final episode I would have rathered the expected action tbh haha, as it was pretty bad finale.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Shame it didn't get a second season to try better, I liked most of it though the final episode I would have rathered the expected action tbh haha, as it was pretty bad finale.
    No shame, thank God it didn't get a 2nd season. It ruined the character with the inconsistent scenario, the non followed plots, the bad jokes and the "meta" finale, which reaked, imho, as hasty and lazy wrap up for the series.

The show, if Disney plans to re-use the character, should be soft-rebooted with different writers and showrunners, who will have a clear vision of what the show should be: a superhero show with some legal drama? a light comedic legal drama? a sitcom about the problems of a superhero in their everyday life?

Because She-hulk tried to be all these at the same time and failed hard. The better episodes were the ones with the cameos and that says enough.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    The show, if Disney plans to re-use the character, should be soft-rebooted with different writers and showrunners
    Hey, this isn't the DCEU!

The show was a goofy bit of fun. It wasn't the greatest writing ever, no question; and it wasn't exactly coherent, consistent, or particularly streamlined. I don't think it tried to be. Whether or not that was a good plan is definitely debatable.

They may well have overplayed it on the silliness and the cheap jokes at times. I didn't think it was a good fit for the MCU as a whole, but that it worked within the constraints it set for itself. To the extent that a show of this kind can ever "work", since it's a bit of a self-absorbed guilty pleasure. It's gooey, unhealthy, and full of artificial flavor - but sometimes, for a little while, that does the trick.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Bad writing.
    Pretty funny when you consider they are just repeating what they did with deadpool but instead of jokes about testicals and sex trafficking it's about dating in LA as a hopeless lawyer who can turn into a 7 foot superhero.

Wanda vision was the only TV show that actually tried something new
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    No shame, thank God it didn't get a 2nd season. It ruined the character with the inconsistent scenario, the non followed plots, the bad jokes and the "meta" finale, which reaked, imho, as hasty and lazy wrap up for the series.

The show, if Disney plans to re-use the character, should be soft-rebooted with different writers and showrunners, who will have a clear vision of what the show should be: a superhero show with some legal drama? a light comedic legal drama? a sitcom about the problems of a superhero in their everyday life?

Because She-hulk tried to be all these at the same time and failed hard. The better episodes were the ones with the cameos and that says enough.
    Uh...unless I've missed something...there's been no notice of She-Hulk being cancelled. That's not to say that a second season has been approved either.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Uh...unless I've missed something...there's been no notice of She-Hulk being cancelled. That's not to say that a second season has been approved either.
    I didn't say it was cancelled, did i?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

The show was a goofy bit of fun. It wasn't the greatest writing ever, no question; and it wasn't exactly coherent, consistent, or particularly streamlined. I don't think it tried to be. Whether or not that was a good plan is definitely debatable.

They may well have overplayed it on the silliness and the cheap jokes at times. I didn't think it was a good fit for the MCU as a whole, but that it worked within the constraints it set for itself. To the extent that a show of this kind can ever "work", since it's a bit of a self-absorbed guilty pleasure. It's gooey, unhealthy, and full of artificial flavor - but sometimes, for a little while, that does the trick.
    If you find a legal drama show with no drama, a sitcom with absolutely not relative side characters, a superhero show with inconsistent abilities and above all, a show with absolutely no resolution at all, because meta, well, what can i say, to each their own.
    /spit@Blizzard

I didn't say it was cancelled, did i?
    You expressed relief that it didn't get a second season. It still could.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    And i haven't objected to that, in the case of a soft reboot, different writers and different show character.

I am so happy this went bad and it's not renewed with the current showrunners and writers. Still.
    /spit@Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account

Hopefully they hire people who actually read the comics, to attempt a damn adaptation, but sadly, picking fans to do the work is not a priority in current marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

Seeing how the show rated low, i don't think it rly worked, especially taking account how a she-hulk show should have worked, like Deadpool did.

Apart from a few fun moments, like with the frog dude, the costume guy and daredavel the show was rly bad in its writing, i watched second time again recently and it was worse than i remembered. I know they tried to "troll" the trolls, and it was funny at first, but a gag that repeats itself too much lose the humor

I actually re-watched all the marvel shows recently, and apart from wandavision and Loki all of then seem to have the same problem, quick content without much quality.

maybe its partially the acid i was on at the time but she hulks one of my favorites of the phase 4 stuff i feel like the only person who loved it.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    maybe its partially the acid i was on at the time but she hulks one of my favorites of the phase 4 stuff i feel like the only person who loved it.
    Only one way to find out. Rewatch sober. And think about what you see and hear after every episode.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    As somone who's been a fan of She-Hulk and enjoyed a lot of her comics I'd say the series was ok. The cast is pretty good, and the CGI seriously isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

IMO There are two real major issues with the series -

1) It just honestly wasn't funny enough. There were some great moments (Wong + Madisynn, and the villain retreat stand out), but for a comedy it just didn't have enough good jokes that landed. That's the worse thing that can happen to a comedy - Any other issues people had probably could have been looked over if it was just funnier and more consistantly so
    It felt to me like they had things that they said to each other and got "oh that's funny", and put it in, but never actually wrote a joke/punchline/situation for it to play out. Like, if you're sitting there and tell your friend "omg, I used to know this guy that was so afraid of confrontation, he would throw himself out a window to avoid a real talk". So they put that in there, but didn't like, flesh it out well or anything, it's just... there. Like we have the basic framework of a sitcom, but they didn't know how to actually make a sitcom or something.

As Honest Trailers said "no, the big showdown is just for the movies, the shows all end in a void outside space and time where the thing gets explained to you by a god. See, you're doing it right now!" with Kang in Loki, Hippolady in Moonknight and Watcher in cartoon. Was amusing.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Lots of people like it it's just people on the internet complaining. They seem to think if a show isn't fully serialized it's not worth watching.

Which makes me feel old since shows structured like this one used to be the norm before streaming came around.

7+ Year Old Account
    While you are technically correct, there is no movement to make a second season. And no one has come out and stated that they were contacted to make one.

Most MCU Disney+ series were pitched as single seasons (Even Loki). As it stands right now, only Loki is confirmed to have been renewed for a 2nd season.

So, there may have never been plans in the first place for a second season, and if there were no plans for one, the show wouldn't be classified as "cancelled" but rather just ended.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I liked everything except the ending.

The "a stolen blood plotline is stupid" joke even though they literally did do the stolen blood plotline. You can't kick someone in the balls and then say "wouldn't I be an asshole if I kicked you in the balls? Let's not do that". I agree with what you're saying, but you literally still did it.

Daredevil carried the show, including in episodes where he wasn't present by us hoping he would be. They even had to make a joke about it and pretend like the show wasn't just cameo city.

It's like at the end they remembered that the character can break the 4th wall in more ways than just talking to the audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I went in expecting a She-Hulk series, a She-Hulk series is exactly what I got. People suggesting the writers/whoever read the comics (they clearly actually did) maybe don't know the comics as well as they think. She-Hulk herself was incredibly faithful to the character. The series itself literally took from the comics for her character (specifically Dan Slott's run). Did it have problems as a series? Sure. Was it bad/unfaithful to the character/comics? lol no.

Things don't need to be enjoyed by everyone. You didn't like something? Cool, move on to something else you might enjoy. If you're looking for excellence in everything you watch, you're going to be repeatedly disappointed (as this sub-forum of misery shows).
    There are people who want the MCU or comic book movies in general just to adapt the comics 1 for 1. Which can't be done.
    –The Sith Code