Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Let's collectively adopt an 8 day week

Everywhere in the world we deal with a similar calender, consisting of 12 months and roughly 52 weeks of 7 days. Also universally around the world saturday and sunday are referred to as "the weekend", regardless of wether that entails days off or not.

In most of the west, we now have the convention of the 7 day week being divided in 5 work days and 2 days off work. Due to the increase in production per person (by better manufacturing methods) some argue that it's time to go to the 4 day work week, giving folks 3 days a week off. On the production side of the spectrum employers claim this would be too drastic a drop in work hours.

So why not move to 5 workdays and 3 days off?

As a unit of time, a year is based on our revolution around the sun. A month is (roughly) based on the lunar cycle. A day is based on the revolution of our planet around its own axis. The week is based on... nothing. It is a complete human fabrication.

Aside from the logistical issues of a worldwide adaptation, what do you think about the concept of this 8 day week?

How many days in a year? How many days in a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How many days in a year? How many days in a month?
    Not sure what you mean?

365.25 days in a year, months ranging from 28-31 days

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    As a unit of time, a year is based on our revolution around the sun. A month is (roughly) based on the lunar cycle. A day is based on the revolution of our planet around its own axis. The week is based on... nothing. It is a complete human fabrication.

The seven-day week originates from the calendar of the Babylonians, which in turn is based on a Sumerian calendar dated to 21st-century B.C. Seven days corresponds to the time it takes for a moon to transition between each phase: full, waning half, new and waxing half. Because the moon cycle is 29.53 days long, the Babylonians would insert one or two days into the final week of each month.

How about we keep everything as is and go to 4 days work and 3 days off.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Ideally, sure ^^

I'm just challenging the notion a week needs to have 7 days.

Of course this discussion is a lot like discussing a metric clock with 10 hour days, which makes absolute sense but the adoption process would be such a nightmare it never took hold, but let's not make that keep us from thinking about such things.

Ideally, sure ^^

Of course this discussion is a lot like discussing a metric clock with 10 hour days, which makes absolute sense but the adoption process would be such a nightmare it never took hold, but let's not make that keep us from thinking about such things.
    I think a 13 months with 7 days per week calendar has a certain charm. Also a nightmare to implement.

Mankind probably has to leave solar system for a chance to change time to metric.

I think a 13 months with 7 days per week calendar has a certain charm. Also a nightmare to implement.

Mankind probably has to leave solar system for a chance to change time to metric.
    I can completely stand behind a new 13 month calender (though I don't see a direct benefit) AS LONG AS september, oktober, november and december are the 7th, 8th, 9th and tenth month respectively.

In this particular discussion though, I would like to focus on stepping off the 7 day week!

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not ever or say we did!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    I already do this. I asked my work if I could do it and they said yes. It's fantastic for my stress levels.
    Here is something to believe in!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everywhere in the world we deal with a similar calender, consisting of 12 months and roughly 52 weeks of 7 days. Also universally around the world saturday and sunday are referred to as "the weekend", regardless of wether that entails days off or not.

In most of the west, we now have the convention of the 7 day week being divided in 5 work days and 2 days off work. Due to the increase in production per person (by better manufacturing methods) some argue that it's time to go to the 4 day work week, giving folks 3 days a week off. On the production side of the spectrum employers claim this would be too drastic a drop in work hours.

So why not move to 5 workdays and 3 days off?

Aside from the logistical issues of a worldwide adaptation, what do you think about the concept of this 8 day week?
    The better move would be to not redesign a global calendar division, but instead to just make the week divided up into 4 work days and 3 days off. Of course, even then, that system wouldn't apply to the world, nor would a lot of people be affected by it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    I already do this. I asked my work if I could do it and they said yes. It's fantastic for my stress levels.
    That's awesome - most companies would laugh you out of the HR office. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The better move would be to not redesign a global calendar division, but instead to just make the week divided up into 4 work days and 3 days off. Of course, even then, that system wouldn't apply to the world, nor would a lot of people be affected by it.

- - - Updated - - -

In the USA I imagine you would be yes. In the Netherlands you have the right to work parttime.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    In the USA I imagine you would be yes. In the Netherlands you have the right to work parttime.
    How does that work in the Netherlands? Do you get paid less if work part time? Like on a graduated scale?

At least the French revolution had the bright idea to align the months with their 10-day week; and it still failed miserably.

I know that religion is a forbidden subject, but getting people to work on the religious day in the week (Sunday in Christianity) will be a mess.

And based on the fact that people used to work on Saturdays, and then it was turned into a half-day, and then people stopped working completely on Saturday (except for...) the most logical idea would be to do the same on Friday afternoon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a four day work week but too crappy of a job to enjoy it.
    /s

Ideally, sure ^^

I don't see the value in doing it. 8 days in a week is no less arbitrary than 7 days a week (and, in effect, will actually feel more arbitrary during it's implementation). Also, the amount of days in the week doesn't dictate how many days off you get during a week. There's different standards for that in different countries.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

How does that work in the Netherlands? Do you get paid less if work part time? Like on a graduated scale?
    Yep, your salary is defined for a 40 hour week, if you work 32 hours you get paid 80%

In Germany you have practically the right to work part time (with lower pay of course). Better said an employer has to have a real good reason to deny your application, if you are not entirely non-replacable I can't think of a reason. Down to 50%. In my company policy is that only part time employees can shift to 4 days, one dude went 99% for that. Hilarious.

Not sure what you mean? 365.25 days in a year, months ranging from 28-31 days
    45.7 weeks...roughly in a year.
    Every calculation based upon the time schematic would need going over.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've always believed that if you don't ask for something you want, you'll never get it.

My week is structured like this, Mon-Tues: Work, Wed: Off, Thurs-Fri: Work, Sat-Sun: Off.

So I basically never work more than 2 days in a row. It's great.
    Here is something to believe in!