View Poll Results: Is the ETC a viable class concept?

Voters
200. This poll is closed
  • Heck Yeah!

62 31.00%
  • Heck No!

138 69.00%
Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

This is the only viable option for a Bard class in WoW. Would you play it?

The Elite Tauren Chieftain

Since I am tired of seeing this class concept being brought up constantly in multiple threads, let's end the discussion here; The ONLY viable Bard concept in WoW currently is the Elite Tauren Chieftain. He is the only Bardic character in WoW that has the majority of criteria that the other 4 WoW expansion concepts possessed, and he has enough presence in the lore to be considered a part of it.

He has original abilities, he has clear weapon options (variations of those weapons have appeared in WoW), and there is evidence of potential variation due to his band-mates. You could even possibly tie the class to a Darkmoon expansion.

In addition, there was the Bard class April fool's joke from the early days of WoW showcasing a concept similar to the ETC;

A hard rocking, heavy metal Bard class. Uniquely Blizzard, and quite different from other fantasy RPG Bardic characters.

However, the major problem with this concept (IMO) is that it simply doesn't fit WoW, and would be completely derided as a terrible class concept.

What do you think? Do you share my view that this class concept would be a terrible class idea, or do you think an ETC class has potential? Let me know in the poll above.

This is hardly the 'only viable option'. There's enough bits and bobs of magical instruments or power being gained from them. The Mantid had an entire boss based on sound magic, Murmur exists (and frankly still has some of the coolest sound effects of any boss), and frankly the main bard we've encountered is Russell Brower, the Wildhammer who reappears as one of the Hyjal helper NPCs and is completely not associated with that side of things.

Now, I'd like the rock/metal aesthetic becaue I frankly would find a clothie wielding a two hander axe to be absolutely hilarious, but that's a very specific requirement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    This is hardly the 'only viable option'. There's enough bits and bobs of magical instruments or power being gained from them. The Mantid had an entire boss based on sound magic.
    Wouldn't a character need to have the body of a Mantid in order to perform those abilities?

The ETC is the only viable option because it's a hero character with a viable way to anchor the Bard concept. Your examples are not focused, and are over the place. Potential WoW classes tend to be grounded into a singular concept. ETC provides that concept, I have yet to find another example that compares.

Man I was way into Guitar Hero back in the day and I remember that April Fool's Joke and being so disappointed that it wasn't a real thing.

That's the only way I want to see Bards introduced in WoW.
    I mean maybe not the only way, but for two specs out of three.

Edit : I saw the result of the poll and y'all suck.
    Last edited by DatToffer; 2022-08-19 at 09:01 AM.

people making up "bard and tinkerer" stuff should be banned.
    nothing you wrote was original.
    to save wow we need more adult stuff, clearly this game doesnt work out as a fake kids game.
    game is for 12+ 12=kid

Quote Originally Posted by Sinured View Post
    people making up "bard and tinkerer" stuff should be banned.
    nothing you wrote was original.
    to save wow we need more adult stuff, clearly this game doesnt work out as a fake kids game.
    game is for 12+ 12=kid
    Nah it's not people who make this stuff that are the problem.
    It's people who make this stuff and proclaim it as gospel and the one true way they may happen, as revealed to them by their assholes. Which isn't people, just Teriz.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-19 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's people who make this stuff and proclaim it as gospel and the one true way they may happen, as revealed to them by their assholes. Which isn't people, just Teriz.
    Especially because you KNOW he'll take this poll(even as heavily loaded and inflamatory as it is) as some gospel truth that "people don't want bards", when the truth is that people don't want HIS idea of bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Eh...

I wouldn't play this spec. Unless it was the only DPS option for some hypothetical Bard class, in which case I'd suck it up and give it a try, get to max level with it, gear it up eventually, get semi-decent with it. But it would never be my main. I'm all for bardic concepts that are somewhat unique from the typical characteristics of an RPG bard. I had one. Kinda. But the concept of a heavy-metal kind of bard is probably not going to sit very well with me.

But if Blizzard ever does what I could imagine Blizzard doing if they ever did anything with a bard concept, which is start with ETC as a sort of foundation and then expanded the concept to add additional uniqueness via another interesting DPS spec with a novel concept, while also staying at least somewhat adjacent to what a 'bard' is, then I'd tolerate a spec inspired by ETC, if only out of respect for such an inspiration paving the way for a potentially better 2/3rds of the concept as a whole.

without reading the OP i'd take that over a tinker
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

Don't think ETC would fit as a class. It's too whimsical for me even for wow standards. All other classes is a bit more grounded...
    Which is understandable since ETC is just a meme tribute to a fan-band.

Bard could work, just not ETC style.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Buff classes would break the game or be useless. Either a buff class and 2 dps beat 3 dps or you would never take the buff class.

It would become a requirement or useless.

Honestly, a bard class would be awesome. I would love to see it have specs based on different music genres: Metal for DPS, Jazz for heal/dps hybrid, classical for pure heal. Similar specs to priests, I guess.

However, the main draw of the bard in other games (and, by extension, the expectation for a WoW bard) would be a buffer. As we all know, the WoW community is scared of ally-targetable buffs like Power Infusion. There are two options that will solve this: Removal or PI; or give more classes similar buffs. I think only when people accept that these buffs are fine, one way or another, would a bard become a viable class that can fulfill the buffer fantasy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The worst part is that this guy has been banned at least half a dozen times but the mods won't permaban, I thought this site had a 3 strike policy. I've seen great poeple get permabanned for almost nothing but posters like OP get to continue making this site an absolute shithole, spamming absurd obsessive shit.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Bard can work just fine as a DPS spec with some group utility spells.

You`d make use of frequent self buffs, maintain debuffs and DoT effects on the enemy.
    They could have a group/raid wide buff that increased the tick rate of DoT effects for example.

RIFT for all it`s faults and flaws, had a really interesting Bard "spec"

Obviously it`s possible to implement it, but some changes would be required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    The worst part is that this guy has been banned at least half a dozen times but the mods won't permaban, I thought this site had a 3 strike policy. I've seen great poeple get permabanned for almost nothing but posters like OP get to continue making this site an absolute shithole, spamming absurd obsessive shit.
    One thread is spam?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    Bard can work just fine as a DPS spec with some group utility spells.

You`d make use of frequent self buffs, maintain debuffs and DoT effects on the enemy.
    They could have a group/raid wide buff that increased the tick rate of DoT effects for example.

RIFT for all it`s faults and flaws, had a really interesting Bard "spec"

Obviously it`s possible to implement it, but some changes would be required.
    Yeah, but it would have to be utilizing the ETC concept: A heavy metal spoof of Cairne Bloodhoof.

The question is do you think a Bard based on the ETC would be a viable class concept, or would people believe it to be far too whimsical and silly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Don't think ETC would fit as a class. It's too whimsical for me even for wow standards. All other classes is a bit more grounded...
    Which is understandable since ETC is just a meme tribute to a fan-band.

Bard could work, just not ETC style.
    And that’s the problem; ETC is the only Bard-style hero in the history of Warcraft. Per previous class inclusions, a Bard class would be based on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And that’s the problem; ETC is the only Bard-style hero in the history of Warcraft. Per previous class inclusions, a Bard class would be based on him.
    Hence I voted heck no.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Hence I voted heck no.
    It seems that you're not alone in thinking that way.

Interestingly, here are some abilities from the Bard hero class spoof from 2008;

Metal
    I Am Murloc - A potent transformational ability.
    Tape Jam - An Indie debuff.
    Shoegazer - An Indie debuff.
    Epic Solo - Begins an epic solo that will enthrall up to ten enemy targets within a 20-yard radius, causing them to "rock out" and suffer 310 to 390 Rock Damage per second. The solo lasts 1 second for every 10 groove.
    Starstruck - A talent which likely increases the Bard's stage presence.

Axe Specialization - Increases the Bard's proficiency with axes.

Punk Rock

Nonconformity - Dispels fear, mind control, and similar effects.
    Mosh Pit - Removes all movement-impairing effects and increases movement speed by 50% for the bard's entire party. Lasts 10 seconds. Does not stack with other movement-speed-increasing effects.
    Shred - A punk rock talent.
    Rock 'N Roll Racing - A punk rock talent.

Combined with the ETC's HotS abilities and talents, we actually have a skeleton of a class here. It makes me wonder why no one ever brings this Bard concept up given it has far more cohesiveness and material than the D&D style bards that people constantly desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only viable option is to do like LOTRO (Minstrel) or ArcheAge (Songcraft) or add the "Bard" flavor option from FFXIV (the ability to play various instruments) since FFXIV's "Bard" is not a Bard, but a bad excuse.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The only viable option is to do like LOTRO (Minstrel) or ArcheAge (Songcraft) or add the "Bard" flavor option from FFXIV (the ability to play various instruments) since FFXIV's "Bard" is not a Bard, but a bad excuse.
    That isn’t how WoW brings in expansion classes. Every new WoW class is distinctly Blizzard in tone and flavor. The ETC is exactly how Blizzard would do a Bard class.