Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Otto hightower is evil I don't know why anyone would root for him. He made his own daughter marry the king and have kids all so he could run the 7 kingdoms.
    OK Hightower comes close to evil. You could still argue that he wants to stabilize realm by having a clear male heir conforming to hundreds of years of tradition. Every house is trying to marry off their daughters and sons to get as near as they can to enjoy some of that sweet Iron Throne power.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I think it will change once her children will be more involved and she will be forced to pick a side. However that's good I think, gives her way more complexity as a character.

Overall I really like what the show is doing. They are humanizing every character in a way that you can clearly understand how and why they are feeling certain way and acting the way they are as result of it. I like nobody is clearly good or evil, makes it way more interesting in my opinion.

Even if you know the story it still makes it highly entertaining to watch as it gives you a different perspective. And it will make the Greens vs Blacks conflict much more intriguing, you will be picking a side and cheer for them like it's a football match.

Because I think HotD did much better job at changing things in a rather logical way.

For example Corlys Velarion is white in the books. However him being black doesn't seem so weird. His family is from Valyria which was already far away from Westeros where the main story unfolds and it isn't that strange for a sailor to be at least mixed. It makes sense they would marry on their travels across the world to forge strong alliances to ensure their trade. Also his and Rhaenys' children are mixed and his whole family is black.

On the other hand, in LotR you get those things thrown in without much thought other than meeting quota. To be honest, I find it kind of disturbing and disrespectful. Not that the actors are doing bad job and white could do much better but because it feels like an afterthought. They didn't attempt to expand on the change at all, which reduces the whole issue down to skill color and therefore it's rather racist too.
    Yea, they didn’t think theres a problem with an occasional black elf… fuckin racists as they are…

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Yea, they didn’t think theres a problem with an occasional black elf… fuckin racists as they are…
    I don't have a problem with "black [race here]" in a story, but I agree that the way HotD handled it is much better. We see a whole family, a whole line, and - logically, at least - a whole region of people that are black.

In Rings of Power it's just, "Hey, one of you at random is black. Just one. It's you. Ok." and it's like...uh, got our token I guess?

Otto hightower is evil I don't know why anyone would root for him. He made his own daughter marry the king and have kids all so he could run the 7 kingdoms.
    how is that ''evil''? the dude wants a stable regime,and he thinks a woman queen isnt right for the stability of the realms,it doesnt make him evil it makes him a pragmatist(wrong or not)

and he is right in the sense that the king needs to have more kids,the targaryens can easily go extinct,and at this point in the story,there werent all that many,and losing them isnt like losing any other royal family,it would mean losing the bloodline that can control dragons,westeros strongest military asset

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I don't know if I would call that evil. While it's a bad look today, it was pretty common during periods depicted in the show. He's political and a manipulator, but he hasn't crossed that evil line yet.
    I dont really see how its a bad look,the dude is an important dude,why not marry his daugther to an even more important dude?also the king needs to have more kids,at this point in time they were to few,daemon didnt seem interested in kids,the princess is a wildcard and as a woman she could die in childbirth,its much to risky to leave the entire bloodline in the hands of a woman as oposed to a male,and then there is the other branch family

the line is a bit thin at this point,nothing like with jaehaerys who had like 4 or 5 adult kids

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I don't know if I would call that evil. While it's a bad look today, it was pretty common during periods depicted in the show. He's political and a manipulator, but he hasn't crossed that evil line yet.
    just because its common doesnt mean its good. the guy used his own daughter all so he could hold power. If you have read the books then you know hes been like this for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    how is that ''evil''? the dude wants a stable regime,and he thinks a woman queen isnt right for the stability of the realms,it doesnt make him evil it makes him a pragmatist(wrong or not)

and he is right in the sense that the king needs to have more kids,the targaryens can easily go extinct,and at this point in the story,there werent all that many,and losing them isnt like losing any other royal family,it would mean losing the bloodline that can control dragons,westeros strongest military asset

- - - Updated - - -

I dont really see how its a bad look,the dude is an important dude,why not marry his daugther to an even more important dude?also the king needs to have more kids,at this point in time they were to few,daemon didnt seem interested in kids,the princess is a wildcard and as a woman she could die in childbirth,its much to risky to leave the entire bloodline in the hands of a woman as oposed to a male,and then there is the other branch family

the line is a bit thin at this point,nothing like with jaehaerys who had like 4 or 5 adult kids
    He is going against the kings wishes and they already all swore fealty to her. You obviously haven't read the books he has never had the realms best interest at heart.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    OK Hightower comes close to evil. You could still argue that he wants to stabilize realm by having a clear male heir conforming to hundreds of years of tradition. Every house is trying to marry off their daughters and sons to get as near as they can to enjoy some of that sweet Iron Throne power.
    yea his own grandson. Hightower doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

He is going against the kings wishes and they already all swore fealty to her. You obviously haven't read the books he has never had the realms best interest at heart..
    the books dont really matter,the show is clearly doing things different,also how is he going against the kings wishes?did the hand force him to marry his daugther?? otto thinks its better if the king has more kids(thats aobjectivly a good thing for their family and the well being of the realms) and for a male to rule (yes its sexist,but at the end of the day if the entire realm is sexist against female rule,its better for peace and stability to give them what they want)

Bloodsail Admiral
    We're MULTIPLE years of books and seasons into the "Game of Thrones" World and its lore and reality.

If you're just now figuring out that this society (much like the real life medieval society) is Patriarchal focused and that women are seen as only good for the alliances they can give their families and the children they produced, you've really not been paying attention.

Is it "good" - that's irrelevant. Its the way this fictional society is based and mostly always has been. Its also more true to "real world history" than setting it up in any other way. And if that is news to you - I'm very sorry for your lack of education.

If you're looking for a fantasy series that takes place in a more matriarchal or "equality for the sexes-based" society the you need to look elsewhere. There is plenty of that type of fantasy - its just not the GoT world.

Its neither good nor bad - its a fictional world in a specific setting following its own internal laws and rules. WE (on the outside of this fantasy society) can see that as 'bad' and 'not what we want in our world' but the books are never, and have never, presented themselves as some sort of moral tale of how our society should function or as some ideal medieval society we 'wish we had' in our own past. Nope - that was never its scope, intent, or design. So stop looking to it like it should be.

If you aren't in the mood for a ruling patriarchy in your fiction that's fine - but stop looking to GoT to provide that for you. You will continue to be disappointed and/or angry by every installment.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-09-07 at 06:00 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

idk I feel like the reason Corlys Velaryon is black is because they found a fucking phenomenal actor to play him, and then they were like, "Okay, well, here's how we're gonna do this."

Though, tbh, I'm really liking the guy playing Laenor.

And tbh, all of the casting is so fucking spot on it's a joy.
    Tiriel US-Illidan

Signature by Shyama

I am Murloc!
    Don't think it matters whether Corlys Velaryon is black or not, he and the family seem to be cast pretty well and it's not just a one off black person in the role, it's an entire family. A world where black people doesn't exist or hold any forms of power seems a bit silly in a universe where there's subtle hints of magic and well, dragons. I'd feel differently about this if Corlys was just a one off black character, but that clearly isn't the case. Considering they aren't originally from Westeros, I feel like they can play around with casting the Velaryon's to be whatever they want. Also I don't think the silver haired dreads on the men look that bad, but it does look off on the daughter.

HoTD and GoT do take place in a very real part of human history though, and to expect women to be treated any different in this time piece is well.. dumb? I feel like women being treated any differently would just open the grounds for complaints from women (and men) that they're trying to wash history (again, this isn't real) and erase the fact that women during medieval times were treated like shit.

More often than not though most of the women in these shows, at least GoT and HoTD have some of the best stories. They're built up in a world that doesn't really respect them because of tradition, and pave their way with what they got. The final season of GoT aside, look at the difference between how all of the female characters rose to power in their own unique ways. Some did it with subtlety, others through politics and manipulation, while some chose violence. You were meant to hate Cersei through most of GoT, but I couldn't help but cheer for the character when she became Queen initially, blew up the sept and had Gregor torture her enemies.

Viserys and Daemon are probably my favorite characters thus far, but all of them are a blast. The time skips in this show really don't bother me because some of the events in the show (as I've been told) are only shorts excerpts from the book anyway. Although HoTD leads into the deterioration of the Targaryen empire, you're still sort of the led to believe the wealth/prosperity of the empire means that not a whole lot happened during some of the skips (the half year between the first/second episode, and the two years between the second/third).

Considering all the pride and traditions ruling parties have to uphold, it's pretty endearing how humble and endearing Viserys actually is towards his daughter. He's an even more likeable Robert Bartheon, which I didn't think was possible considering how awesome he was.

EP3 felt like a lacklustre. Felt that with the amount of buildup the first two had this would produce something more meaty either in plot, sharp turn, or something else.

She was off with her future love almost dying to a boar and her uncle was ignoring the Crabs Life Matter month in the realm and her father had a bad conscious and got drunk (kudos).
    Dull episode.
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.

african-american actor playing african-valyrian character is the least of problems this series has.
    The narrative is boring, the characters are undeveloped(barring strong female Reinira of course), and the way the narrative is being done is...utterly lacking in content and substance.
    The whole Crab feeder plotline is awful and dull.
    The King's Hunt is a disaster.
    At least Reinira is strong, female and independent.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I have yet to watch.

I watched all of Game of Thrones series, but where does this series rank in quality compared to that series by season?

Are we talking Season 1 or 2 ... or Final Season GoT quality?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I have yet to watch.

I watched all of Game of Thrones series, but where does this series rank in quality compared to that series by season?

It _looks_ great. It looks the GoT part.
    Can't say there's any substance beyond the looks, though.
    Characters feel as 2d as possible(barring Reinira of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I have yet to watch.

Definitely better than the last seasons. You don't quite have the standout performances you had in GoT either either. The characters feel a bit more forgettable. The characters aren't bad, but nore are they great, and the plot is otherwise working.

I guess more 3-4 if i had to pick a season.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2022-09-09 at 05:34 PM.

House of the Dragon S1E03 Explained.

Alt Shift X
    Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, I really need a youtuber to explain me what I've seen with my own eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    sorry about late reply; I drink heavily in the mornings.

Lol, I knew which Youtuber that would be before I clicked it. "Here we see Viserys drinking wine. This is an indication that he is in fact drinking wine at that precise moment. Later he speaks to Rhaenyra with his mouth, and she replies, also using her mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Lol, I knew which Youtuber that would be before I clicked it. "Here we see Viserys drinking wine. This is an indication that he is in fact drinking wine at that precise moment. Later he speaks to Rhaenyra with his mouth, and she replies, also using her mouth."
    I thought you jest and watched a bit of that video... what the actual fuck is that lmao.

I been impressed with this show. It has surpassed my expectations so far, maybe because they were low to begin with. Due to the disappointment of the final seasons of GoT. I thought it would be a cheap spin off but it is a high quality production. I appreciate this. They still make some cuts to the show from what I heard on the internet. An Alicent scene had a beautiful costume and great hair and make up. (can browse internet for this)

The past three episodes have managed to have action. This is great. I don't know how long they can keep up this momentum. As GoT is notorious for lots of talking scenes. (Don't get me wrong I enjoy these scenes too.) Episode 3 having the most action yet.

My guard is up with this show still. Even though the book is finished.. not sure how much they will stray from the original material. I was ridiculed for giving it another chance but I am happy I did. I heard it is climbing in popularity, which is fantastic. They been doing a pretty good job and it is nice to see some recognition for it.
    Last edited by tiakeesa; 2022-09-11 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I think its the other way around tbh.

That being said - GoT didnt have a "fan trailer" that only talked about diversity
    Can I ask how you think it is the other way around?

I think lotr is a book that most loved as kids etc and got was a good TV series then a bad TV series, I don't think many people had read got before the TV series and the books aren't very good after 2 or 3.

I mean to be fair, I don't rate lotr that highly either but it is still a classic because of a lot of stuff it introduced or made mainstream, I think a lot of authors have done it better since but as almost the world's introduction to fantasy it needs to be on the pedestal it is.

This felt a little bit like a repeat of my earlier statement so sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arlion View Post
    Because it was a suicidal strategy. It only worked because Daemon was so exposed that the crab feeder got tempted and took the bait, and risked his forces too much. Even then it would have failed if the archers didnt went to stormtrooper academy, and even then he could still have gotten away, but Daemon took a leap of faith going blind into the cave. It worked, but it was a suicidal strategy. He went all in before the Kings Landings reinforcements came in.
    I think it would have worked as well with lesser people or a wig (jk) send your troops in, archers come, burn them, send your troops in or archers don't come because of dragons, send troops in.

Did I miss something?