Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Relevant to nothing but I meant to ask you guys here for clarification on this because the show doesn't (Or didn't in the first 4 episodes, haven't watched the NEWEST one yet).

Are we given any real idea WHAT the "infection" or "disease" the King has/is dying from?

In the initial episode I was thinking it was just an infected spot (they mentioned I think he cut himself on the iron throne?) where the infection was getting ahead of the treatments. But by episode 3/4 (whichever one had the wedding - can't remember) it seems that its not only spread over his arm/chest but that instead of infection I'm thinking it looks like the "Stone skin" disease dealt with in the original GOT series.

I realize we may never be 'intended' to know other than 'some wasting/progressive disease' and overall its not really important - but its just one of those details that, as a medical professional, I always like to know in books/tv shows/movies/etc.

So was just curious if perhaps the book specified this or if other people were thinking it was the "stone skin" disease as well or just - any other ideas?
    It wasn't specified what kind of disease it is. However in the books it is said that throne almost has a will of it's own and that it rejects unworthy kings. It's hard to explain, it is somewhat magical akin to One Ring in LotR. Multiple kings, be it completely insane or extremely vain, died of mysterious consequences.

Regarding the grayscale, it's hard to say when it comes to Targaryens. It has never been straight out confirmed but there is a theory that certain Targaryens are immune to diseases for whatever reason. All Targaryens are capable of bonding with dragons due possessing the valyrian blood (that's why Velaryons are dragonriders too) and yet some have an extra perk of having prophetic dreams or being immune to diseases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Viserys have an amputated arm in the latest episode?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    In the books it's gout at the end of his life. Show as said some kind of leprosy.

If it were grey scale people would try to stay the fuck away from him. Also it doesn't really look like he's turning to stone, and he'd be dead by episode two or so. But then again the Crabfeeder looked like he had grey scale and neither his men nor Daemon seemed to care much. Might be different for both series/books.

Death had lost its terror for Tyrion Lannister, but greyscale was another matter.
    —thoughts of Tyrion Lannister[3]

He had heard it said that there were three good cures for greyscale: axe and sword and cleaver. Hacking off afflicted parts did sometimes stop the spread of the disease, Tyrion knew, but not always. Many a man had sacrificed one arm or foot, only to find the other going grey. Once that happened, hope was gone.
    —thoughts of Tyrion Lannister[3]

He dare not let the greyscale become known. Queer as it seemed, men who would cheerfully face battle and risk death to rescue a companion would abandon that same companion in a heartbeat if he were known to have greyscale.
    —thoughts of Jon Connington[10]
    Aha - thank you! (do appreciate the quotes - going above and beyond there!)

Interesting... gout...compared to leprosy. Compared to what the show was 'showing' of his arm in that scene in 3 or 4 (acknowledging yes the show may have taken liberties with whatever was being described in the book), never would have thought 'gout' =D.

And while I did understand the 'greyscale worse then death' idea from the original GoT books I wasn't sure if this was 'so far back' in the history of Westeros that perhaps they weren't aware of greyscale the same was as they are in the later timeline or it hadn't been 'diagnosed' yet, etc. To explain why it COULD (in my mind) be greyscale but not resulting in the same sort of reaction as in the original book series. And yeah, I wondered it about the Crabfeeder as well - what was 'going on' with his deformity.

And I appreciate all the responses btw - thank you to everyone! Just didn't want to make a huge post quoting all relevant responses.

Now that itch in my brain is scratched to satisfaction and it will let it go! =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Didn't Viserys have an amputated arm in the latest episode?
    He did.

It's just a persistent infection that is straining the whole bodily system - not as sexy as any sort of specific disease like greyscale. It looks like the maesters are pretty keen to let him die, as well...

The last episode felt very rushed. We got enough elements to understand what happened during that time, but everything seemed to happen too fast so some scenes made a bit of a disservice to the purpose certain characters had, specially Laena. The way i see it, the only purpose Laena's character had was to add depth to Daemon, but the scenes they had together fell too short to truly understand their relationship and the sequence with her giving birth and her death lacked a few key elements to be really impactful. So the episode would be a lot better with some more minutes, but hey, time is money! the story is solid.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    TV Viserys is probably just diabetic. Since his silly as couldn't stop people poking himself on the throne on top of the decreased ability to fight off infections he is slowly being colonized by bacteria. Hence not dying fast but never getting better

Maybe it's Westeros MRSA.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The actor said it is leprosy.
    Not trying to inject too much realism into the show but that's a goof from whoever told the actor it's leprosy. A couple of more people in proximity ofthe king should have gotten as well. He wipes his nasty hands all of stuff. You have servants and maesters touching his sores for at least a decade. They should have their own mini leper colony at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    The last episode...
    Daemon has such a window for growth, but instead he's an apathetic househusband of 3.
    The amount of attention focused on how Slutnyra is struggling with her childbirthing, how she perseveres and endures(all the while fucking behind husband's back), basically amounts to nothing and further shows she's not as capable or smart as first 3 episodes suggested.
    Larys did an impeccable job, though. He might be the one who finally broke the camel's back in a metaphorical sense, what with Allicent realising she got her hands indirectly bloodied.
    To be fair, Rhaenyra's husband is well aware of her banging Harwin Strong. It's their personal arrangement since Laenor Velaryon is gay.

That said, I agree that Rhaenyra and Laenor (and by extension Harwin) are morons, which is why I'm thoroughly team Alicent.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Not trying to inject too much realism into the show but that's a goof from whoever told the actor it's leprosy. A couple of more people in proximity ofthe king should have gotten as well. He wipes his nasty hands all of stuff. You have servants and maesters touching his sores for at least a decade. They should have their own mini leper colony at this point.
    AFAIK while the bacteria is contagious, the pathology has a heavy part of genetic roulette when it comes to expressing itself.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

5+ Year Old Account
    in old GoT people were afraid their favorite characters would die, but this show they kill characters a lot sooner, I just started to like Harwin Strong, then he dies same episode...I know they have done time skips but still...also there is no humor... my brother called the show has become "stressful"

Aegeon totally creeps me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    To be fair, Rhaenyra's husband is well aware of her banging Harwin Strong. It's their personal arrangement since Laenor Velaryon is gay.

That said, I agree that Rhaenyra and Laenor (and by extension Harwin) are morons, which is why I'm thoroughly team Alicent.
    Agreed.
    Though it's silly of Gaenor to miserably ask Slutnyra if the latest kid is his.
    He's either dumb or dumb.
    Though, in his defence, I must say I was touched by the amount of support and care he tried to offer to her while they were walking to the Queen's room.

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2022-10-02 at 02:34 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was thinking that as well… and all the sex he’s been having with Alicent. That’s some definite close skin-to-skin contact.
    Well, we can at least go with "Westeros's version" of Leprosy? =D

I mean its the same if the book says "gout" or even "rampant infection" in the "real world" Understanding of it. Gout doesn't turn your arm hard with a crusty/shell look (the way his arm looks at the end- before its gone). Neither does rampant infection. Gangrene (rampant infection) could certainly be 'solved' by cutting off your arm to save your body, yes, but none of that turns your arm hard with a grey crust and that wouldn't explain ongoing symptoms because the gangrene is now gone. Sepsis would kill you way, way faster, if it was some 'systemic infection.' Leprosy isn't solved by removing any infected parts, and his look 'ten years later' is not one of someone who has continued to have leprosy for another decade.

But - this is Westeros. None of these terms have to mean the same thing as it means in our medicine. I was just trying to figure out if we're seeing an "early discovery of what is later called Greyscale" but we aren't - because its also not infecting anyone else and greyscale doesn't take years to kill anyone.

Really, the idea of a "Westeros diabetes" systemic issue does make more sense than any of these other diagnoses. But only 'superficially' (ha) as clearly the King isn't having any of the myriad of other issues you'd get with uncontrolled diabetes, all of which would have also killed him already.

Or maybe, due to all the inbreeding, he has a shit immune system from birth and he's just getting repeatedly infected and diseased by whatever-he-comes-into contact with. I mean you could argue this is a variety of multiple, repeat, infections even if no single issue was related to earlier ones and he just has a weak immune system that gives no protection. He could have 3 STDs and 2 injury infections at the same time right now, for all we know. That also makes more sense then 'this is leprosy' or 'gout'.

Btw- my discussion isn't meant as a slam or negative commentary on the show. I"m not looking for medical accuracy, at all, in my dragon fantasies. Just discussing and commenting on what the actors (or writers, or whomever) are claiming they are portraying and how that really 'fits' or not. They can call it "Dragon Dick Disease 43" and I'd be just as fine with it. =D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    in old GoT people were afraid their favorite characters would die, but this show they kill characters a lot sooner, I just started to like Harwin Strong, then he dies same episode...I know they have done time skips but still...also there is no humor... my brother called the show has become "stressful"

Aegeon totally creeps me out...
    Yeah, talk about "character no one can really care about yet..." getting killed. This show is SEEMING more like Star Trek or Walking Dead - with plenty of "red shirt" characters you know can be killed off at any second (and at times feeling you even expect it by the end of the episode cuz they are 'new'), but no real 'risk' to the main players anymore. GoT never had that 'lack of risk' to main characters. And there is a definite difference.

Also - anyone else feel like Strong's attack on Sir Christo (whatever the Bitter King's Guard name is, sorry I suck at names) when he was taunting him about 'how one might defend their son' (paraphrased) could have ALSO been explained by Strong standing up and saying something like - "No its how I defend MY SWORN KING" and shut down asshole-guard with such a simple response?

I mean - that IS the sworn, identified, one-day-heir to the throne that Sir Christo is insulting the parentage of. As well as insulting the Rightful Future Queen - in a yard full of people. All he had to do to save his ass was make it about, I don't know, THAT factoid - instead of saying nothing?

Eh, much like the "drunk and horny" scene, its one of those interactions that just seems to dumb down the characters for the sake of plot, rather than actually adding to the political drama by giving an answer that SHOULD serve to be all he needed to say, in the world they are living in.

Aegon and his brother remind me of "Children of the Corn" - that may be also what creeps you out. Multiple kids with white hair .
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

All he had to do to save his ass
    We've seen he is strong, not smart . But yeah, some characters do stupid stuff.

Btw Aegon... he's a horny teenager and rubbing one out through the window seems totally in character imo. Who's gonna see him from half a mile down, just think when you go through your city, do you actually look up? He has his fathers temper, looks like he too just wants to enjoy life.

Btw, I watch all episodes again in German. I talk to a coworker about the show and wouldn't know half the names since they are localized. I never gave "cunt" much thought as a swear word, but hearing the German literal translation "Fotze" hits a lot harder. In episode 5 "he is cuntstruck" was translated as "er ist ihr Fotzenknecht" which translated back to English means "he is her cunt menial" which I think is rather misogynistic. Taking an advanced English course after school was one of the better decisions in my life, I don't have to watch German dubs if I can help it.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, talk about "character no one can really care about yet..." getting killed. This show is SEEMING more like Star Trek or Walking Dead - with plenty of "red shirt" characters you know can be killed off at any second (and at times feeling you even expect it by the end of the episode cuz they are 'new'), but no real 'risk' to the main players anymore. GoT never had that 'lack of risk' to main characters. And there is a definite difference.

Also - anyone else feel like Strong's attack on Sir Christo (whatever the Bitter King's Guard name is, sorry I suck at names) when he was taunting him about 'how one might defend their son' (paraphrased) could have ALSO been explained by Strong standing up and saying something like - "No its how I defend MY SWORN KING" and shut down asshole-guard with such a simple response?

I mean - that IS the sworn, identified, one-day-heir to the throne that Sir Christo is insulting the parentage of. As well as insulting the Rightful Future Queen - in a yard full of people. All he had to do to save his ass was make it about, I don't know, THAT factoid - instead of saying nothing?

Eh, much like the "drunk and horny" scene, its one of those interactions that just seems to dumb down the characters for the sake of plot, rather than actually adding to the political drama by giving an answer that SHOULD serve to be all he needed to say, in the world they are living in.

Aegon and his brother remind me of "Children of the Corn" - that may be also what creeps you out. Multiple kids with white hair .
    Aegon is defin a sociopath.

I feel like the whole thing with Rhae's baby daddy (I've given up on learning half these characters names) wasn't so much that he confirmed that he is the father of the kids, but he added further credibility to the rumors. If it was the first incident, fine. They (weakly) alluded to there already being rumors about the kids, maybe some even involving him. His actions didn't outright confirm the rumors, but they added to the pile, enough to get people talking more. Enough that a just a few more slip ups, another kid, maybe the kids growing older and looking more like him, would be enough for even willfully blind Vis to put 2+2 together. Thats why his dad was saying people can't be sure now, but it's only a matter of time with him hanging around the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Not keen on the messaging of the show. "Motherhood is the worst possible thing that could happen to you! You must avoid it at all costs, and then you shall be free!"
    Honestly I felt this way after watching my mother be miserable with 5 children, and I still feel this way. I have no children and no regrets.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah, that’s some sociopath behavior… not just some horny teen rubbing one out. Homelander did the same thing, only he was on a much higher building.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think that’s the message that’s being sent… at least that’s not how I’m perceiving it. I think the show is showing the battles women also faced in medieval times, which was the message of the first episode. Men may be fighting wars and beating the shit outta each other, but women are also dealing with their own battle… one that many don’t survive from. Pregnancy. And these women aren’t being given a choice. They’re being forced to lay with men because it’s their "duty". They’re doing what’s expected of them..
    This message was well send when they show the tournament, people fighting and the queen giving birth, one guy dies and she suffers in pain, two battlefields

And im not quite sure if they are just "forced", at least the first queen, she understand her duty, and its not just for her own sake, but for the sake of the realm to be stable, no war and no bloodshed, being a hero in their own way, or for the sake of the family/house.

It also shows bluntly the biological differences that regardless of the social status, we can't avoid.

Medieval times were horrific for anyone too, like Viserys from just a small cut suffering heavy necrose, and i bet a lot of shit happening to him was due stress

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Did the fact she was about to die elude you?

The maester proposed Daemon the same thing as they did to Viserys when Aemma was having major birth complications. Daemon however, couldn't decide to carve her up. Laena took the matters into her own hands and died the way she wanted, a dragonrider's death.
    Pretty hard to believe a mother would let her child die when there was a chance for her to survive (even if she would die giving birth by the "knife"). Also, completely different to what happens in the book.

So yea, a "dragonrider death" over the life of her child? Not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Pretty hard to believe a mother would let her child die when there was a chance for her to survive (even if she would die giving birth by the "knife"). Also, completely different to what happens in the book.

So yea, a "dragonrider death" over the life of her child? Not buying it.
    Some weird attitudes in this thread about women's roles. No woman is entitled to die for her child. She is not a bad mother for choosing her own life over the life of an infant. Women should not be expected or forced to to be baby makers, whether in real life, historical contexts or make-believe universes. In all contexts mentioned, there are women that have chosen not to have children, or have chosen their own lives over an infant.

If you think otherwise then you should seriously question your personal belief systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Some weird attitudes in this thread about women's roles. No woman is entitled to die for her child.
    but men are supposed(under pain of law) to die for "their" countries.
    Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    but men are supposed(under pain of law) to die for "their" countries.
    Huh.
    What does that have to do with the weird attitudes in this thread about women's roles?