Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    He is going against the kings wishes and they already all swore fealty to her. You obviously haven't read the books he has never had the realms best interest at heart..
    the books dont really matter,the show is clearly doing things different,also how is he going against the kings wishes?did the hand force him to marry his daugther?? otto thinks its better if the king has more kids(thats aobjectivly a good thing for their family and the well being of the realms) and for a male to rule (yes its sexist,but at the end of the day if the entire realm is sexist against female rule,its better for peace and stability to give them what they want)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're MULTIPLE years of books and seasons into the "Game of Thrones" World and its lore and reality.

If you're just now figuring out that this society (much like the real life medieval society) is Patriarchal focused and that women are seen as only good for the alliances they can give their families and the children they produced, you've really not been paying attention.

Is it "good" - that's irrelevant. Its the way this fictional society is based and mostly always has been. Its also more true to "real world history" than setting it up in any other way. And if that is news to you - I'm very sorry for your lack of education.

If you're looking for a fantasy series that takes place in a more matriarchal or "equality for the sexes-based" society the you need to look elsewhere. There is plenty of that type of fantasy - its just not the GoT world.

Its neither good nor bad - its a fictional world in a specific setting following its own internal laws and rules. WE (on the outside of this fantasy society) can see that as 'bad' and 'not what we want in our world' but the books are never, and have never, presented themselves as some sort of moral tale of how our society should function or as some ideal medieval society we 'wish we had' in our own past. Nope - that was never its scope, intent, or design. So stop looking to it like it should be.

If you aren't in the mood for a ruling patriarchy in your fiction that's fine - but stop looking to GoT to provide that for you. You will continue to be disappointed and/or angry by every installment.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-09-07 at 06:00 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk I feel like the reason Corlys Velaryon is black is because they found a fucking phenomenal actor to play him, and then they were like, "Okay, well, here's how we're gonna do this."

Though, tbh, I'm really liking the guy playing Laenor.

And tbh, all of the casting is so fucking spot on it's a joy.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think it matters whether Corlys Velaryon is black or not, he and the family seem to be cast pretty well and it's not just a one off black person in the role, it's an entire family. A world where black people doesn't exist or hold any forms of power seems a bit silly in a universe where there's subtle hints of magic and well, dragons. I'd feel differently about this if Corlys was just a one off black character, but that clearly isn't the case. Considering they aren't originally from Westeros, I feel like they can play around with casting the Velaryon's to be whatever they want. Also I don't think the silver haired dreads on the men look that bad, but it does look off on the daughter.

HoTD and GoT do take place in a very real part of human history though, and to expect women to be treated any different in this time piece is well.. dumb? I feel like women being treated any differently would just open the grounds for complaints from women (and men) that they're trying to wash history (again, this isn't real) and erase the fact that women during medieval times were treated like shit.

More often than not though most of the women in these shows, at least GoT and HoTD have some of the best stories. They're built up in a world that doesn't really respect them because of tradition, and pave their way with what they got. The final season of GoT aside, look at the difference between how all of the female characters rose to power in their own unique ways. Some did it with subtlety, others through politics and manipulation, while some chose violence. You were meant to hate Cersei through most of GoT, but I couldn't help but cheer for the character when she became Queen initially, blew up the sept and had Gregor torture her enemies.

Viserys and Daemon are probably my favorite characters thus far, but all of them are a blast. The time skips in this show really don't bother me because some of the events in the show (as I've been told) are only shorts excerpts from the book anyway. Although HoTD leads into the deterioration of the Targaryen empire, you're still sort of the led to believe the wealth/prosperity of the empire means that not a whole lot happened during some of the skips (the half year between the first/second episode, and the two years between the second/third).

Considering all the pride and traditions ruling parties have to uphold, it's pretty endearing how humble and endearing Viserys actually is towards his daughter. He's an even more likeable Robert Bartheon, which I didn't think was possible considering how awesome he was.

15+ Year Old Account
    EP3 felt like a lacklustre. Felt that with the amount of buildup the first two had this would produce something more meaty either in plot, sharp turn, or something else.

She was off with her future love almost dying to a boar and her uncle was ignoring the Crabs Life Matter month in the realm and her father had a bad conscious and got drunk (kudos).
    Dull episode.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

african-american actor playing african-valyrian character is the least of problems this series has.
    The narrative is boring, the characters are undeveloped(barring strong female Reinira of course), and the way the narrative is being done is...utterly lacking in content and substance.
    The whole Crab feeder plotline is awful and dull.
    The King's Hunt is a disaster.
    At least Reinira is strong, female and independent.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I have yet to watch.

I watched all of Game of Thrones series, but where does this series rank in quality compared to that series by season?

Are we talking Season 1 or 2 ... or Final Season GoT quality?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I have yet to watch.

I watched all of Game of Thrones series, but where does this series rank in quality compared to that series by season?

It _looks_ great. It looks the GoT part.
    Can't say there's any substance beyond the looks, though.
    Characters feel as 2d as possible(barring Reinira of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I have yet to watch.

Definitely better than the last seasons. You don't quite have the standout performances you had in GoT either either. The characters feel a bit more forgettable. The characters aren't bad, but nore are they great, and the plot is otherwise working.

I guess more 3-4 if i had to pick a season.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2022-09-09 at 05:34 PM.

I am happy I gave the show another chance. I am also happy to hear it is doing well. If everyone listened to solely the internet.. instead of word of mouth they might get a different impression of this show. I figured this is how it managed to do a jump in popularity. I was worried it would be butchered down and a cheap spin off. Yet I can tell there is adequate funding put into the project. It's sad when they do need to cut some stuff.. I guess there was a scene with Alicent that was cut. The costume design looked spot on, including hair and make up. (images of it over the internet)

Surprisingly, all three episodes have had action in them. Which is fantastic. Not sure if they will be able to keep up the momentum. (Something I don't think is particularly easy to accomplish since GoT is notorious for a lot of talking. I don't mind those scenes either personally..) Episode 3 having the most action yet.

I will add my defenses are up from watching this show (since the mass disappointment with GoT ending) and I was ridiculed for giving it another chance. That it is a set up for disappointment. Yet the book is finished, so I don't know how much they will stray from the original material or not. So far I am happy with it and it is a good quality production which makes me even more happy. Hoping it does well. I hope it keeps climbing in popularity too, I think they are doing good so far.

5+ Year Old Account
    House of the Dragon S1E03 Explained.

Alt Shift X
    Sep 10, 2022

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I really need a youtuber to explain me what I've seen with my own eyes

Lol, I knew which Youtuber that would be before I clicked it. "Here we see Viserys drinking wine. This is an indication that he is in fact drinking wine at that precise moment. Later he speaks to Rhaenyra with his mouth, and she replies, also using her mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Lol, I knew which Youtuber that would be before I clicked it. "Here we see Viserys drinking wine. This is an indication that he is in fact drinking wine at that precise moment. Later he speaks to Rhaenyra with his mouth, and she replies, also using her mouth."
    I thought you jest and watched a bit of that video... what the actual fuck is that lmao.

I been impressed with this show. It has surpassed my expectations so far, maybe because they were low to begin with. Due to the disappointment of the final seasons of GoT. I thought it would be a cheap spin off but it is a high quality production. I appreciate this. They still make some cuts to the show from what I heard on the internet. An Alicent scene had a beautiful costume and great hair and make up. (can browse internet for this)

The past three episodes have managed to have action. This is great. I don't know how long they can keep up this momentum. As GoT is notorious for lots of talking scenes. (Don't get me wrong I enjoy these scenes too.) Episode 3 having the most action yet.

My guard is up with this show still. Even though the book is finished.. not sure how much they will stray from the original material. I was ridiculed for giving it another chance but I am happy I did. I heard it is climbing in popularity, which is fantastic. They been doing a pretty good job and it is nice to see some recognition for it.
    Last edited by tiakeesa; 2022-09-11 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I think its the other way around tbh.

That being said - GoT didnt have a "fan trailer" that only talked about diversity
    Can I ask how you think it is the other way around?

I think lotr is a book that most loved as kids etc and got was a good TV series then a bad TV series, I don't think many people had read got before the TV series and the books aren't very good after 2 or 3.

I mean to be fair, I don't rate lotr that highly either but it is still a classic because of a lot of stuff it introduced or made mainstream, I think a lot of authors have done it better since but as almost the world's introduction to fantasy it needs to be on the pedestal it is.

This felt a little bit like a repeat of my earlier statement so sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arlion View Post
    Because it was a suicidal strategy. It only worked because Daemon was so exposed that the crab feeder got tempted and took the bait, and risked his forces too much. Even then it would have failed if the archers didnt went to stormtrooper academy, and even then he could still have gotten away, but Daemon took a leap of faith going blind into the cave. It worked, but it was a suicidal strategy. He went all in before the Kings Landings reinforcements came in.
    I think it would have worked as well with lesser people or a wig (jk) send your troops in, archers come, burn them, send your troops in or archers don't come because of dragons, send troops in.

Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    I think it would have worked as well with lesser people or a wig (jk) send your troops in, archers come, burn them, send your troops in or archers don't come because of dragons, send troops in.

Did I miss something?
    They tried that for years without success. Dangling Daemon as a prize was necessary to get crab army out of the caves.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    african-american actor playing african-valyrian character is the least of problems this series has.
    The narrative is boring, the characters are undeveloped(barring strong female Reinira of course), and the way the narrative is being done is...utterly lacking in content and substance.
    The whole Crab feeder plotline is awful and dull.
    The King's Hunt is a disaster.
    At least Reinira is strong, female and independent.
    I don't dislike Reinira, however I do feel they are attempting to remake Dany but skipping all the parts that built her into the character the audience loved enough to react as it did to what they did to her in S8.

Dany didn't start off a powerful, dragon-riding ruler. She was an outcast sister being used as currency by her brother. She had nothing other than her bloodline and her beauty and even that only made her valuable as something to trade with. She grew and evolved into someone we CARED about, but wasn't given it off the bat.

Reinira I feel like the writers are trying to go "see! she's just like Dany! adore her like you did that other character!". They even have attempted to make her look similar, to the point where the comparison is obvious. Reinira is not BAD, she just hasn't had to suffer and evolve yet so the connection they writers are expecting just isn't there yet.

We shall see, its not as good as GoT yet, but it may get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Reinira I feel like the writers are trying to go "see! she's just like Dany! adore her like you did that other character!". They even have attempted to make her look similar, to the point where the comparison is obvious. Reinira is not BAD, she just hasn't had to suffer and evolve yet so the connection they writers are expecting just isn't there yet.
    The whole family is supposed to look the same, they even help that by inbreeding from time to time. We're still in the world building part of the series, the troubles have not even remotely begun.

And about Daenerys... she burnt her first victim to death in season 1 and a lot more over the years. I still don't understand how anyone was shocked about her behaviour in season 8, it's been written on the wall over the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post

Did I miss something?

I mean, in a real war I'd have imagined Daemon had already won. The show portrays it as a stale-mate, even though they've managed to encircle the crab feeder and his men and forced them to retreat into caves. But... I mean, think about it. That's not a stale-mate, that's a win.

If you have them encircled and trapped in caves, it doesn't matter that they're still alive. If all exits to the caves are guarded, or at least the islands themselves, you can simply starve them out. And, assuming they have food in the caves for 60 years, it's STILL a victory because you know what raiders can't do when trapped in caves?

Raid.

Just the fact that they're pushed into the caves, knowing that they'll be burnt to a crisp by dragons if they ever fight on an open field means that the Crab Feeder problem was in practice already solved. They put the crab feeder in a position where he's unable to pillage ships and do his piracy stuff. So, what on earth could he possibly do to disrupt the shipping lanes with an army with a few dragons waiting outside the caves? Absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, Daemon has endless ability to resupply and reinforce his troops while the crab feeders, being sieged, have a very finite amount of both men and supplies. Hell, Daemon could just station one small detachment + one dragon near the caves and they'd be fine.

Daemon had already won. I've no idea why they implied this was a stale-mate.
    Last edited by Rathwell; 2022-09-11 at 02:56 PM.