Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Thumbs down Has Merithra been Medan'd?

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Merithra_of_the_Dream
    Merithra seems to have stepped forward to represent the green dragonflight.
    Working with a mortal hero, she helped save the Emerald Dream from an infestation of the Void.
    While not confident she can live up to the legacy of her deceased mother Ysera, she decided she will do her best to fulfill the task ahead, and became the de-factor leader of the green flight.

It really seemed like it was time for her to come into her own, a'la Wrathion, and become a new prominant character.

But now... nope! Ysera's back and she's in charge again!

Merithra of the Dream says: Life-Binder, might I ask you something?
    Alexstrasza says: Of course, Merithra. You may always speak openly with me.
    Merithra of the Dream says: Long did my mother lead the green dragonflight as the Aspect of the Dream.
    Merithra of the Dream says: And yet she always seemed... distant. As if she were in two places at once.
    Merithra of the Dream says: You knew her before you became Aspects. What was she truly like?
    Alexstrasza says: We were sisters. The only two of our brood to survive. Inseparable ever since birth.
    Alexstrasza says: Some believed that as the smallest among us, she was also the weakest. They were wrong.
    Alexstrasza says: Ysera was strong in a way most could not understand. But hers was a strength on which Azeroth depended.
    Merithra of the Dream says: I do not know if I possess such strength. Or if I can fulfill the task that lies ahead of me.
    Alexstrasza says: Neither did she. None of the Aspects did. But we rose to the challenge, as you will. Have faith in yourself Merithra.
    Merithra of the Dream says: Thank you, Alexstrasza. I will do my best to live up to my mother's legacy.
    So what's the deal?

Is it a Giant Sword/Shadowlands thing where the reasoning is "this plotline was the brainchild of Afrasiabi and it would be workplace abuse to force employees to work on a project by a sexual predator" type of thing, so they're just abandoning/rewriting the whole plot?

It's bizarre to me that, considering how well the whole Wrathion concept worked out, that they would bring in a young background character front and center to succeed a legacy Blizzard asset that's been retired and start a whole new chapter, only to do a sharp 180 and say "nevermind, we're resurrecting Ysera and have her pick up where she left off."

Again, like Shadowlands; there's YEARS of amazing "what if" plotpoints where fans here and elsewhere have speculated about how the story was meant to go (i.e. The Jailer's original model, The chained Primus, Korthia "The City of Secrets", Thros, Devos, Kraxxus, Garrosh as a boss in Nathria, Sylvanas' intentions, the new Arbiter, etc) before the Troubles™ befell Blizzard, and they all made so much sense.... but then they were ALL discarded because Blizzard revealed bit by bit what really happened in the Shadowlands expansion story... and it was so completely nonsensical!

And now this? Merithra, a character introduced in vanilla at long last getting a model update and being brought to the forefront and getting camera time and plot and development and about to stand side-by-side with Wrathion as the new young leader of their flight... only to be be told "lol j/k" because mommy's back from the dead and in charge again?

What the heck?

To me it just feels like Blizzard didn't want to follow through on her character arc. So they are just gonna bring back Ysera because it is "less work".

It just feels bad to set something up then abandon it the moment it becomes relevant again for some cheap fan service.

Can you link the part where ysera comes back for anyone who doesnt know what happens?

It seems stupid to me too, lets let young leader step up and NOPE MOMMA COMIN BACK FUCK OFF LITTLE GIRL

Its silly, and i dont really care for ysera coming back, it cheapens everything that happened, like her whole arc could have just not happened. Her dying only to come back, why not just make malf die then and there instead. ugh.

I hope its not some petty political bullshit going on, if shadowlands story was destroyed because one of the writers was a pervert thats stupid. let the story stand aside from the writer, just because a pervert contributed it doesnt mean it needs to be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    No, not really. Med'an has been all but excised from canon and relegated to a non-appearing role in WoW's deepest background lore, and will likely never be seen in-game. Merithra has just been upstaged by her mother Ysera - she's still quite present in the lore and is a more or less active character. Not a great outcome for Merithra, but a far cry from Med'an's (fully deserved and warranted) treatment.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

wait is it actualy confirmed she is coming back or is it just something datamined that didnt even reach the alpha yet?
    bcs if the later this seems to be a bit premature

Where does it say that Ysera is in charge again?

I don't see why they need to do a resurrection story with Ysera. I think it is unnecessary. I can't say it has never been done in this IP before.. just other characters that were resurrected didn't look as appealing? (I can think of 2 that made it out ok tho..) Do I want this to become an ongoing and popular thing? Not really. Who else would be resurrected next?Arthas? To me it feels like it cheapens the death.. when some characters were tied up very nicely. Ysera happens to be one of them with a good cinematic.

I do remember seeing Merithra in Legion. I don't see the harm further building on upon her. If they just want an excuse to give Mal significance, I am sure he is capable of doing something else. (Maybe they will be finally nice enough to open more races for playable druid? He can be heavily themed in it. Since someone on the team did advertise all races will be able to be every class.) More so if they are doing something with Emerald Dream..? I'm not entirely sure, I read posts about this. I really don't know if that is confirmed with this upcoming expansion..or where they are taking that particular part. I just hope they don't spend as much time focusing on Ysera, green dragonflight and Night Elves.

I am more interested in the other aspects, Alexstrasza, Wraithon, Nozdormu and Kalecgos.

5+ Year Old Account
    So why did Malfurion have to die? Honestly, I am really starting to cba because the inconsistency of this narrative wants me to. Recently, all I do is just sit and try to understand most of this crap and end up laughing because it doesn’t make any damn sense. It just makes your mind go insane. Not to mention the recent Warcraft chronology that was invented, which looks like some random numbers in a lottery.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2022-08-21 at 08:03 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    wait is it actualy confirmed she is coming back or is it just something datamined that didnt even reach the alpha yet?
    bcs if the later this seems to be a bit premature
    also I swore that in Shadowlands when the Winter Queen intervened to save Ysera who was still in her wildseed that she said that Ysera was bound to Ardenweald forever. I mean yeah they can go and ignore that but it definitely happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    So why did Malfurion have to die? Honestly, I am really starting to cba because the inconsistency of this narrative wants me to. Recently, all I do is just sit and try to understand most of this crap and end up laughing because it doesn’t make any damn sense. It just makes your mind go insane. Not to mention the recent Warcraft chronology that was invented, which looks like some random numbers in a lottery.
    Malfurion isn't dead... unless you've read/seen something in the alpha I haven't?
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2022-08-21 at 08:04 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Malfurion isn't dead... unless you've read/seen something in the alpha I haven't?
    Did they change the scenario then? Because from the recently released dialogues he was supposed to die in order for Ysera to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Did they change the scenario then? Because from the recently released dialogues he was supposed to die in order for Ysera to come back.
    they didnt "release it" it was datamined, and as A LOT of things datamined in wows history it might never even reach actual testing, let alone live game...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    also I swore that in Shadowlands when the Winter Queen intervened to save Ysera who was still in her wildseed that she said that Ysera was bound to Ardenweald forever. I mean yeah they can go and ignore that but it definitely happened.
    they definitely could, but this seems all based around datamining something that might never even reach the game... so as i said, premature

Wow, talk about blowing things out of proportions...

We don't know any specific if Ysera actually comes back and we don't know what role she will assume if she does. We don't know what will happen to Merithria if Ysera comes back, we don't know anything. What you want us to discuss here, hypothetical plots that might or might not turn out this or that way?

Sure, it would suck if they abandoned Merithria after all this set up, but we don't know if that's what's going to happen so I suggest you wait few months with this thread, ok?

And to be so dramatic as to compare it to Medan, the biggest lore fuck up in WoWs history? Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post

It really seemed like it was time for her to come into her own, a'la Wrathion, and become a new prominant character.

So what's the deal?

Is it a Giant Sword/Shadowlands thing where the reasoning is "this plotline was the brainchild of Afrasiabi and it would be workplace abuse to force employees to work on a project by a sexual predator" type of thing, so they're just abandoning/rewriting the whole plot?

It's bizarre to me that, considering how well the whole Wrathion concept worked out, that they would bring in a young background character front and center to succeed a legacy Blizzard asset that's been retired and start a whole new chapter, only to do a sharp 180 and say "nevermind, we're resurrecting Ysera and have her pick up where she left off."

Again, like Shadowlands; there's YEARS of amazing "what if" plotpoints where fans here and elsewhere have speculated about how the story was meant to go (i.e. The Jailer's original model, The chained Primus, Korthia "The City of Secrets", Thros, Devos, Kraxxus, Garrosh as a boss in Nathria, Sylvanas' intentions, the new Arbiter, etc) before the Troubles™ befell Blizzard, and they all made so much sense.... but then they were ALL discarded because Blizzard revealed bit by bit what really happened in the Shadowlands expansion story... and it was so completely nonsensical!

And now this? Merithra, a character introduced in vanilla at long last getting a model update and being brought to the forefront and getting camera time and plot and development and about to stand side-by-side with Wrathion as the new young leader of their flight... only to be be told "lol j/k" because mommy's back from the dead and in charge again?

What the heck?
    Also we're going to lose Malfurion over this.
    Which is yet another kick in the face for the night elves.
    Also it makes much of what happened in Ardenweald completely pointless.

So it just seems like another bizarre lose-lose-lose kinda deal like Blizzard had with i.e. Sylvanas and various others in SL.

Can't help but make it seem like there is an unstated and likely impure motive behind such decisions.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Can you link the part where ysera comes back for anyone who doesnt know what happens?

It seems stupid to me too, lets let young leader step up and NOPE MOMMA COMIN BACK FUCK OFF LITTLE GIRL

Its silly, and i dont really care for ysera coming back, it cheapens everything that happened, like her whole arc could have just not happened. Her dying only to come back, why not just make malf die then and there instead. ugh.

I hope its not some petty political bullshit going on, if shadowlands story was destroyed because one of the writers was a pervert thats stupid. let the story stand aside from the writer, just because a pervert contributed it doesnt mean it needs to be destroyed.
    They will sacrifice Malfurion to resurrect Ysera.

It's one thing for datamined alpha stuff to not make into live, and another for a huge plot point to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post

So what's the deal?

What the heck?
    The section you bolded in no way implies Ysera is the lead of the green dragon flight in DF. If anything it implies merithra correctly took the role and struggles to fulfill it.

People really need to wait until the game launches before jumping to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    The section you bolded in no way implies Ysera is the lead of the green dragon flight in DF. If anything it implies merithra correctly took the role and struggles to fulfill it.

People really need to wait until the game launches before jumping to conclusions.
    They sacrifice Malfurion to bring Ysera back because they need her only so she can give her position to her daughter? What?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it?

Meri is still on the playing field, Med'an wasn't at all. We don't know if Ysera is coming back, we just know of the price if so, there is nothing on Alpha about the trade going through.

The Green Dragonflight has no aspect at the moment, Ysera isn't an aspect because she's dead, and Merithra isn't an aspect because she's not been granted it yet.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Guys, stop asking people to "wait". If no one is going to complain about the whole affair going on alpha atm, they're obviously going to think everyone is ok with it and keep it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Guys, stop asking people to "wait". If no one is going to complain about the whole affair going on alpha atm, they're obviously going to think everyone is ok with it and keep it in.
    Precisely. There's also no context that would make that awful story that was leaked be good. So lets been real.