Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I don't really think I am able to explain it to you as you come across rather sheltered.

Amassing poor immigrants in a community makes that community go to shit... I believe those who want immigration should bare the blunt of it. Much as I believe warmongers should be drafted.

- - - Updated - - -

How isn't it solving it? Those at the border want to crack down on illegal immigration to preserve their communities and livelihood. Those away from it want integration.

The obvious answer is to express ship those who want immigration with immigrants... wouldn't you say?
    Okay, so you're just a bigot. Poor immigrants built this country and continue to work hard here. Something something Labor Shortage...

Anybody who sees immigration as an attack on their communities and livelihood...are not real. Tell me more about how the immigrant took your job on the Meat Processing Facility.

- - - Updated - - -

Also people want immigration everywhere and people don't want immigration everywhere. The idea that there are places that want them and some that don't is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Okay, so you're just a bigot. Poor immigrants built this country and continue to work hard here. Something something Labor Shortage...

Anybody who sees immigration as an attack on their communities and livelihood...are not real. Tell me more about how the immigrant took your job on the Meat Processing Facility.

- - - Updated - - -

Also people want immigration everywhere and people don't want immigration everywhere. The idea that there are places that want them and some that don't is idiotic.
    Slaves built a lot of empires to yet we don't relish slavery.

Also is it a labor shortage or a wage crisis... pick one both can't exist at the same time.

Slaves built a lot of empires to yet we don't relish slavery.

Also is it a labor shortage or a wage crisis... pick one both can't exist at the same time.
    I'll pick both.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think I am able to explain it to you as you come across rather sheltered.
    I.e. you're not able to explain it in such a way that doesn't require buying into bigoted beliefs is a baseline. I'm aware.

That aside, I can guarantee you that I've had vastly more interaction with immigrant communities than you. "Sheltered" my ass.

Amassing poor immigrants in a community makes that community go to shit.
    Amassing poor immigrants in a community when there are no mechanisms in place to address poverty and limited avenues for integration, you mean. And you'll find that those in favor of immigration are generally also in favor of establishing those mechanisms and avenues.

And here's the thing, sweetheart; 'those who want immigration' already do bear the brunt of it. It isn't Republican states or Republican counties paying for the federal tax burden.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure it can.

The number of people willing or able to tolerate the shit wages on offer in many sectors has declined, which combined with immigration restrictions causing a short supply of laborers for seasonal work in other sectors means there is both a labor shortage and a wage crisis.

And you think you have the clout to go around calling other people sheltered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    By help and support do you mean busing them off to the poorer districts to get them back out of sight and mind?

Lifting people out of poverty is a noble goal but it isn't all that noble to just ship them off and make them someone else's problem. Everyone involved is an asshole.
    Why would I entertain this obvious lie? You're just straight-up lying about the facts.

Amassing poor immigrants in a community makes that community go to shit...
    Speaking as someone who entered the country as a poor immigrant, your opinion is beyond laughable.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also if anyone doesn't believe that history repeats itself, all this discussion around this event has lead me to learn about another snippet of American History you don't learn about a whole lot: The Reverse Freedom Rides

TL;DR: 1960s Post Segregation Southern States tricked/coerced a bunch of Black Americans onto buses and shipped them to wealthy northern states. Some of the locations in questions were in front of the houses of prominent political rivals (Sound familiar?) and the area around Martha's Vineyard. In fact, the exact same military base that they're using to help process these migrants was used for the exact same purpose back then as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amassing poor immigrants in a community makes that community go to shit... I believe those who want immigration should bare the blunt of it. Much as I believe warmongers should be drafted.
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That's what America's supposed promise has been for a very long time.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2022-09-20 at 03:31 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why would I entertain this obvious lie? You're just straight-up lying about the facts.
    Perhaps I find it entertaining?

Watching people be dicks to dicks while one side has to pretend they are not dicks is amusing to me.

Perhaps I find it entertaining?

Watching people be dicks to dicks while one side has to pretend they are not dicks is amusing to me.
    Why are you so desperately trying to "both sides" this when it's literally only "one side" doing this?

Wanna talk about housing policy in cities for the homeless? That's a separate conversation from this and one worth having. But it's not really relevant to this specific discussion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why are you so desperately trying to "both sides" this when it's literally only "one side" doing this?

Wanna talk about housing policy in cities for the homeless? That's a separate conversation from this and one worth having. But it's not really relevant to this specific discussion thread.
    I'm not both siding it I'm actively mocking those pro immigration for reacting negatively for having to deal with a influx of immigrants for a day...

I will try to be more blindingly obvious in the future.

I'm not both siding it I'm actively mocking those pro immigration for reacting negatively for having to deal with a influx of immigrants for a day...
    Literally not what's happening.

The governors are being criticized for weaponizing asylum seekers. For lying to them and providing them fake information about job and housing prospects where they were being shipped to. For not warning the cities receiving these asylum seekers they were coming so they could prepare to receive and process them.

To those sent to Martha's Vineyard specifically, the community did not react negatively to this. Quite the contrary, they came together to help provide and support the folks left on their doorstep while the Republican governor worked to get them temporary shelter on a military base so they could be provided with basic services (a bit necessary) while they're arranging travel to their ultimate destinations with friends/family while they await their court dates.

When they departed it was smiles and hugs. Nobody was mad. Nobody reacted negatively towards the asylum seekers, just towards the Republican governors weaponizing literal vulnerable human beings as political tools.

At this point you'd have to join us in reality first, and you don't seem to have done that quite yet.

Literally not what's happening.

The governors are being criticized for weaponizing asylum seekers. For lying to them and providing them fake information about job and housing prospects where they were being shipped to. For not warning the cities receiving these asylum seekers they were coming so they could prepare to receive and process them.

To those sent to Martha's Vineyard specifically, the community did not react negatively to this. Quite the contrary, they came together to help provide and support the folks left on their doorstep while the Republican governor worked to get them temporary shelter on a military base so they could be provided with basic services (a bit necessary) while they're arranging travel to their ultimate destinations with friends/family while they await their court dates.

When they departed it was smiles and hugs. Nobody was mad. Nobody reacted negatively towards the asylum seekers, just towards the Republican governors weaponizing literal vulnerable human beings as political tools.

At this point you'd have to join us in reality first, and you don't seem to have done that quite yet.
    I am not really sure how to react to a person reading off a press release while at the same time asking me to join them in reality to be honest.

https://news.yahoo.com/migrants-sent...231157224.html

To my point above -

Before they boarded planes bound for Martha’s Vineyard, a group of about 50 migrants in San Antonio, Texas, were handed a trifold brochure titled “Massachusetts Refugee Benefits.”

A front cover included a photograph of a Massachusetts Department of Transportation highway sign reading “Massachusetts Welcomes You” above an illustration of the state.

On the back, printed in English and Spanish was the name and phone number and website for the Massachusetts Office for Refugees and Immigrants, a state agency that aids resettlement agencies and works with community groups to provide assistance to newly arrived refugees.

But the agency had nothing to do with the flier. The flier was mocked up to look like a government document, falsely suggesting that the group of mostly Venzeulan people seeking asylum in the US would be eligible for cash assistance, housing, food, job training, job interviews and other benefits.

These brochures are not ours and not sure who prints or distributes them, at this point,” office chief of staff Falah Hashem told The Independent.
    Who actually did? Not exactly certain right now. But it sure looks like the governor's office in Florida had something to do with it.

Is impersonating another states agencies against the law?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not really sure how to react to a person reading off a press release while at the same time asking me to join them in reality to be honest.
    You watch any of the videos? You read any of the reporting from media on the ground there? Any interviews with asylum seekers? With local residents or aide workers? Comments from the governor? Comments from the immigrants' lawyers?

Or are you committed to living in your fantasy reality to justify your "both sidesing"?

10+ Year Old Account

Gee, people get upset when you just dump other people in your backyard unannounced. Shocking, but to MV's credit, they gave those people food and shelter and then helped them go to a facility that can serve them better.

Why is there an issue with that?
    Putin khuliyo

To my point above -

Who actually did? Not exactly certain right now. But it sure looks like the governor's office in Florida had something to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

You watch any of the videos? You read any of the reporting from media on the ground there? Any interviews with asylum seekers? With local residents or aide workers? Comments from the governor? Comments from the immigrants' lawyers?

Or are you committed to living in your fantasy reality to justify your "both sidesing"?
    I've not tried to make this a both sides thing so that's weird enough. Played it more as an everyone wins arguement but that's a circular topic if I've ever seen one.

Again... you are asking me if I read the the press kit?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Gee, people get upset when you just dump other people in your backyard unannounced. Shocking, but to MV's credit, they gave those people food and shelter and then helped them go to a facility that can serve them better.

Why is there an issue with that?
    There isn't.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

To my point above -

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh they are clearly 100% carrying water for the racists and fascist at thus point.
    - Lars

Again... you are asking me if I read the the press kit?
    What fuckin press kit/release are you talking about?

I'm asking if you watched any of the videos.

I'm asking if you read any of the media coverage - which is not a "press kit/release" - from journalists on the ground there speaking with locals and the asylum seekers.

I'm asking if you've paid literally any attention to have an informed opinion on this topic, because so far it seems like you haven't paid attention and consequently have a grossly uninformed opinion.

What fuckin press kit/release are you talking about?

I'm asking if you watched any of the videos.

I'm asking if you read any of the media coverage - which is not a "press kit/release" - from journalists on the ground there speaking with locals and the asylum seekers.

I'm asking if you've paid literally any attention to have an informed opinion on this topic, because so far it seems like you haven't paid attention and consequently have a grossly uninformed opinion.
    It sounds like everyone is happy so what are you trying to drive home here..?

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2022-09-20 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Except they aren't reacting negatively to having to deal with that influx of immigrants.

You're lying about that, to push a bullshit agenda rooted in personal prejudices.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like everyone is happy so what are you trying to drive home here..?
    Everyone is not "happy". DeSantis engaged in kidnapping and human trafficking in an attempt to push a bigoted political agenda, and it's blowing up in his face.

Nobody in places like Martha's Vinyard are upset that migrants are showing up. They're upset that DeSantis would engage in such corruptly illegal action, brag about it on the national stage, to try and score political points, rather than engaging in good-faith efforts to actually handle these actual human people with any modicum of empathy and decency. They're not upset at the migrants. They're upset at the criminals who dumped them and have done everything they can to ruin their lives.

Way to just flat-out lie about what's happening. Repeatedly and unashamedly.