Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    No, lol. The difference is that FF's shop is in your web browser, not in-game and therefore not in your face.
    Nothing to do with the interface.

- - - Updated - - -

It's significantly cheaper to buy a phial of fantasia than a race change in WoW. Loops de damned, personally.

A lot of XIV's character services and cash shop in general is cheaper than WoW's

Character boosts - £18.50 on XIV vs £49 on WoW (62.25% cheaper but you're boosted to 10 levels below max versus max level)
    Race change - £5.75 on XIV vs £19 on WoW
    Name change: £5.75 on XIV vs £9 on WoW
    Server Transfer: £12 on XIV vs £19 on WoW.

Also miscellaneous items like mounts, transmogs etc are cheaper and are either better or similar quality to WoW's cash shop transmogs.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    Motherboard: X570 AORUS PRO
    Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360mm AIO
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 @ 3600 MHZ
    SSD: WD BLACK SN850X 1TB PCI-E 4.0 M.2
    GPU: Powercolor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Quote Originally Posted by AntenoraDK View Post
    A lot of XIV's character services and cash shop in general is cheaper than WoW's

Character boosts - £18.50 on XIV vs £49 on WoW (62.25% cheaper but you're boosted to 10 levels below max versus max level)

Also miscellaneous items like mounts, transmogs etc are cheaper and are either better or similar quality to WoW's cash shop transmogs.
    Well, once Dragonflight launches, it will both be 10 levels below max. We only get max lvl boosts in WoW once an expansion hit its end lull, as they start selling the boost of the next xpac (DF in this example) rather than the "current" one (would be SL, which was a lvl 50 boost)

10+ Year Old Account

I agree on the mount part, but the SHEAR AMOUNT of glamour/transmog gear on the FFXIV store compared to the WoW store is absurd.
    https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/

Everything on the left are purchasable items. Majority of them are cosmetic.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

This one is a better funny due to how WOW's classes and story work, to fully match it requires a few more purchases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    This one is a better funny due to how WOW's classes and story work, to fully match it requires a few more purchases.
    Yeah. FFXIV has story skips for each expansion (pricing is weird though, IIRC) and job skips (17 skips on the store, 1 for each job -2 for Reaper/Sage; $25 per job skip).
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Yeah. FFXIV has story skips for each expansion (pricing is weird though, IIRC) and job skips (17 skips on the store, 1 for each job -2 for Reaper/Sage; $25 per job skip).
    It cost 25$ to skip up to endwalker and 25$ to level afaik.

one is worthless without the other imho.
    Pretty much the same as in WoW.

It's funny though... can I pay in £ as well?

Because it's almost 50% cheaper than paying in $. and 25% cheaper than paying in € (which is also cheaper than $)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-09-26 at 11:44 PM.

No, lol. The difference is that FF's shop is in your web browser, not in-game and therefore not in your face.
    Nothing to do with the interface.
    So you're actually going to be that guy and stand by the idea that because the shop is more obscure it's better.

Ya'll gotta stop with this silly "muh game beat up ur game" stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's anime art style, that's all I need to know. I never played it and I already know there is going to be cat ear girls.

The shop is more tolerated in XIV because the game itself rewards you with good gear and mounts. Not sure how many recolored horses and bears you'll find in newly released content while the shop is saturated with cool mounts. XIV also updates its events every year with new questlines and rewards. So not really comparable to a game that hasn't updated any of its events in half a decade or more.

That said, the store is starting to get on my nerves, gradually. More and more unique stuff is pumped into it, so it is fast approaching WoW shop levels of terrible.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I doubt gear is that much of an issue for most players, so they will probably never change that because not enough players care and thus it's not even on the radar.
    Oh, I agree. But I'm saying, they could do loot a lot better than they currently are, using systems that already exist in the game... but they choose not to.

XIV's development team is *extremely* conservative. They do not make changes unless they feel the change is *completely* necessary, and even then they tend to be conservative with the changes. It's their biggest drawback, as it means things like "healers are a 1 button class" and other problems tend to stick around for a long time. Because even if they view it as a flaw, they don't consider it broken, so they won't put effort into fixing it.

Really, though, I think XIV is just way too fucking big of a project for the team to handle. I've actually been an advocate of them dumping Savage and Ultimate entirely, as it's very clear (they've even basically stated it) that they focus entirely on the "casual" experience and any "hardcore" content is there pretty much only because Yoshida or other upper level team members want it to be there.

I'm not a fan of trying to do a little of everything. Just like restaurants that don't keep their menu small and focused, it tends to result in a weaker product that you might otherwise be able to produce. I'd honestly enjoy the game more if they went fully into focusing on "casual" content like normals and extremes and changed class designs and abilties to suit (more class fantasy, less worry about needing all classes to be balanced on DPS meters that are against TOS anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    The shop is more tolerated in XIV because the game itself rewards you with good gear and mounts. Not sure how many recolored horses and bears you'll find in newly released content while the shop is saturated with cool mounts. XIV also updates its events every year with new questlines and rewards. So not really comparable to a game that hasn't updated any of its events in half a decade or more.

That said, the store is starting to get on my nerves, gradually. More and more unique stuff is pumped into it, so it is fast approaching WoW shop levels of terrible.
    Maybe once every few years you get an updated event that's meaningfully different from the one before. Maybe. Usually it's just a quickly thrown together excuse plot that consists of a few primitive cutscenes and some ad libbed dialogue that often hangs off the same skeleton the previous iteration used, and "different rewards" doesn't necessarily mean an improvement. I'm pretty sure they expect most players to just skim or outright skip the event narratives.

For example, Valentione's Day: 2020 rewarded players with a full set of dyeable gear with a fairly unique appearance that comes in three different base colors depending on which suitor you chose in the storyline. 2021 combined Valentione's Day AND Little Lady's Day and rewarded... a Moogle hat with a heart instead of the usual pompom, and a Moogle plushie housing item. 2022 rewarded chocobo barding and another housing item. Even if we excuse 2021 as a result of COVID (which is certainly why it was delayed and combined with the smaller Little Lady's Day event), 2022 has no reason to reward so much less than 2020 did.

You'll see this pattern repeatedly, for all of the holiday events. Every three or four years you'll get a cool outfit or a mount or something really notable, and everything in between is basically phoned in. The better rewards also generally coincide with a revamp of the basic quest structure or plot (2020 had you work for and promote one of three color-coded suitors, for example, making it far more involved than previous narratives, if only barely.)

That would still make it better than WoW's events **IF** you could also obtain rewards from previous years through the same event currency. But since XIV wants to gouge players for a few bucks, they get a Fuck Off / 10 in my book. It's not that WoW's events are good, it's that XIV just loses by default because they went with unadulterated greed over reason. It's a pretty bad look when even Activision-Blizzard looks reasonable next to you.
    Last edited by Grinning Serpent; 2022-09-27 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    If I had to gripe about something its to complexity of some of the classes rotations, soooo many buttons lol. Guess WoW has ruined me on easier to do rotation/priority button presses. Also it could just be that I'm getting older and remembering a lot of the combo presses for, (I think it was) Ninja and Samurai would get lost in the process for me. or the Summoners large list of button presses to do the proper rotation. Now the game is a great looking and fun game, but I think at this point it would be too late for me to come back due to the learning curve I remember from 3 or so years ago when I last played,

Again, this is just what I remember from the last time I played a good while ago lol.

Oh, and I wasn't a fan of the change to Summoner pets where you no longer had a pet that could tank mobs lol.
    I also wish that the combat was a bit easier. WoW I can play with one eye on the other monitor because the combat is so simple, with FFXIV I actually have to engage with it and I find it hard to play and relax at the same time which most days is the point of my gaming sessions.

I agree on the mount part, but the SHEAR AMOUNT of glamour/transmog gear on the FFXIV store compared to the WoW store is absurd.

Because wow is slowly adopting store glam, also some of the stuff in the mogstation its no longer obtainable in game as it came from past events

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    I also wish that the combat was a bit easier. WoW I can play with one eye on the other monitor because the combat is so simple, with FFXIV I actually have to engage with it and I find it hard to play and relax at the same time which most days is the point of my gaming sessions.
    Retail WoW? Classic WoW requires more attention-paying than XIV does, in large part because most classes have a rotation that's priority-based and there's usually more than two buttons competing for that GCD. I'll agree that retail WoW went a little too far in simplifying things.

Because wow is slowly adopting store glam, also some of the stuff in the mogstation its no longer obtainable in game as it came from past events

Also, personally idgaf about the store, the best glams are from mods, i dont care if people cant see them, so long as i can thats all that matters

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    Retail WoW? Classic WoW requires more attention-paying than XIV does, in large part because most classes have a rotation that's priority-based and there's usually more than two buttons competing for that GCD. I'll agree that retail WoW went a little too far in simplifying things.
    Spoiler: 
    1.3. Single Target Damage

Frost Mages are capable of doing huge amounts of single target damage, especially in short fights, due to the double use of Icy Veins IconIcy Veins and Summon Water Elemental IconSummon Water Elemental with Cold Snap IconCold Snap. Your main rotation will be to Icy Veins and Summon Water Elemental when possible, and casting Frostbolt IconFrostbolt. Use DPS cooldowns when it is required to deal a lot of damage (nuke) in a short period of time or when it is safe to use them without having to move a lot.

Frostbolt IconFrostbolt is your main source of single target damage. Minimize the time spent moving and maximize the time casting, to effectively increase your DPS. If you need to change positions, try Blink IconBlinking instead of walking, as this will almost always be faster than moving. While your Water Elemental is active, you can make it fire Waterbolt IconWaterbolts automatically, using the following macro:

/petattack
    /cast Frostbolt

Summon Water Elemental IconSummon Water Elemental is a DPS cooldown. The Water Elemental attacks enemies with Waterbolt IconWaterbolt and Freeze IconFreeze them with a ranged, controllable Frost Nova, which is useful for doing a "Shatter Combo". Find out more about the Shatter Combo below in the Ice Lance IconIce Lance TBC spell description. If summoned before Bloodlust IconBloodlust/Heroism IconHeroism, the Water Elemental will also get and benefit from the Haste bonus. In your Key Bindings section in game, you can also bind the Water Elemental's abilities to keys. This is particularly important, for if your Water Elemental stands in AoE damage effects and needs to move out of them. The Water Elemental needs a bit of attention, so it does not die right after being summoned, or you will lose DPS. The Water Elemental uses Mana to cast it's spells and can run out of Mana. Being in a Shadow Priest group can be useful to squeeze more DPS out of your Water Elemental.

Icy Veins IconIcy Veins is also a DPS cooldown. Use it as often as possible and try to use it in a phase of a boss fight that does not interrupt your casting with movement or anti-casting mechanics. For example using it right before a 10 second stun mechanic on a boss makes this cooldown 50% worse. A good macro to use Icy Veins with is:

/use 13
    /use Destruction Potion
    /cast Icy Veins
    /petattack
    /cast Frostbolt

It will use your trinket in the upper trinket slot (13, the lower trinket slot is 14), use a Destruction Potion Icon Destruction Potion, Cast Icy Veins IconIcy Veins, will make your Water Elemental attack (if summoned) and cast Frostbolt IconFrostbolt.

Ice Lance IconIce Lance is a low damage spell against targets that are not frozen. However, it does three times normal damage against frozen targets, making this an incredibly powerful ability. This can be used to your advantage. You can Freeze IconFreeze or Frost Nova IconFrost Nova an enemy, cast a Frostbolt IconFrostbolt immediately followed by an Ice Lance. Casting an instant cast spell right after a spell with cast time, so both hit a frozen target at the same time, is commonly referred to as "Shatter Combo", as both spells will benefit from the 50% increased crit chance of the Shatter IconShatter talent. This spell can also be cast while moving to prevent Winter's Chill IconWinter's Chill from dropping from an enemy target or to stack this debuff.

Cold Snap IconCold Snap is used to reset the cooldowns of all your Frost abilities, making you able to use Icy Veins IconIcy Veins and Summon Water Elemental IconSummon Water Elemental twice in a row. If you know a boss fight will be around 5 minutes in length, you can use your cooldowns once in the start, once more after 3 minutes and a third time with Cold Snap in the end. Get a feeling for your guild's boss kill times and take advantage of your knowledge.

Fire Blast IconFire Blast will be cast when you are moving and your target is not frozen to maximize the damage while you cannot cast Frostbolt IconFrostbolt. If your target is frozen, use Ice Lance IconIce Lance.

Remove Lesser Curse IconRemove Lesser Curse — While this is no damage spell, it is of high importance to decurse on some fights and doing so is part of being a good Mage.

Molten Armor IconMolten Armor — It is important to keep this buff up on you, as it gives you a higher Critical Strike chance with spells. Therefore it is part of your rotation.

Arcane Intellect IconArcane Intellect/Arcane Brilliance IconArcane Brilliance — It is important to keep this buff up on you and your group for a higher Critical Strike chance with spells and more Mana. Therefore it is part of your rotation.

Offensive Potion/Gem is not an ability per se, but the act of making a macro for your Potion and Mana Gem uses. For instance when using a Mana Potion, there is always a little offset between using the potion and casting your next damage spell, just from human reaction time. You can eliminate this offset and make a macro for Mana Gems and Mana Potions like this:

/use Super Mana Potion
    /petattack
    /cast Frostbolt

/use Mana Emerald
    /petattack
    /cast Frostbolt

These macros will not only use your Mana restoring cooldowns, but also make your Water Elemental attack and instantly cast a Frostbolt IconFrostbolt afterwards.

Wow, look at that rotation, i'll just summarize it for you, spam frostbolt, such deep and complex gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    So you're actually going to be that guy and stand by the idea that because the shop is more obscure it's better.

Ya'll gotta stop with this silly "muh game beat up ur game" stuff.
    Roll them to the back of the head buddy. Yes, it not being in-game is a big plus cause no one is forced to interact with it or think about it.
    Also, yes, i consider the FF shop much better. It may have more items, but they and the services are significantly cheaper. The sub is cheaper too.
    Do i think cash shops are good in sub games? Not one bit. The stuff you get in-game is much better looking than the stuff you can get in the shop in FF as well. So, there's that.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-09-27 at 03:28 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Roll them to the back of the head buddy. Yes, it not being in-game is a big plus cause no one is forced to interact with it or think about it.
    Also, yes, i consider the FF shop much better. It may have more items, but they and the services are significantly cheaper. The sub is cheaper too.
    Do i think cash shops are good in sub games? Not one bit. The stuff you get in-game is much better looking than the stuff you can get in the shop in FF as well. So, there's that.
    If a small button makes you think about the store then you were already thinking about the store, it's not a constantly blinking button so it can easily be ignored forever. Only time I ever touched it was to preorder Legion.

The sub for WOW might be higher but you get 50 character slots.

As for items being cheaper, most are. But some only seem cheaper because the full package is broken into pieces, then there are the retainers and the things they let you do.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Wow, look at that rotation, i'll just summarize it for you, spam frostbolt, such deep and complex gameplay
    No one really raids on Frost, though. It's generally Arcane early, and then you can still do Arcane later, or you switch to Fire to be optimal due to Fire having better gear scaling than Arcane.

Also: literally every single XIV class (except PLD currently, but it sounds like they're aiming to change this for 6.3) is "hit literally everything every 2 minutes, do your 1-2-3 and hit your oGCDs on cooldown in between." How is that more complex than *actual raiding specs* in classic?

Best part of this Final Fantasy 14 subforum is now how you just have burner accounts dishonestly shitting on the game while propping up Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    No one really raids on Frost, though. It's generally Arcane early, and then you can still do Arcane later, or you switch to Fire to be optimal due to Fire having better gear scaling than Arcane.

Also: literally every single XIV class (except PLD currently, but it sounds like they're aiming to change this for 6.3) is "hit literally everything every 2 minutes, do your 1-2-3 and hit your oGCDs on cooldown in between." How is that more complex than *actual raiding specs* in classic?
    I don't know, but you are the one who said classic is more complex.

I find FFXIV to be harder to play than classic for sure mostly due to the fact that it actually IS a strict sequence instead of a priority system. SAM is pretty strict because you will eventually drift out of damage windows and CDs won't line up anymore if you use "Meikyo Shisui" poorly.
    Same thing with "Ikishoten" or not using "Hagakure" properly and not taking into account how many GCDs you couldn't attack (depending on the encounter). Same thing with Higanbana. I can't just reapply it whenever with a click of a button, I need multiple GCDs to reapply the dot if I mess up and that in turn delays my DPS/Cooldown window which you then have to readjust to get back in line.

I mean... I cleared everything by scrolling my mousewheel for 5-10 minutes in BC in each boss figh. It's not even a meme... it was the best way to play my spec.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-09-27 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    Best part of this Final Fantasy 14 subforum is now how you just have burner accounts dishonestly shitting on the game while propping up Warcraft.
    That, and the few who aren't burner accounts are drink so much of the WoW Koolaid that it's pointless to talk to them. It's pretty much why I've not responded to serpent since then, since it feels like it's this in both cases.