Thread: Frostfire Bolt

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frostfire Bolt

I just recalled shooting some of those and i actually liked the animation

why were they removed really? it was cool, unique and pretty magey

since we're moving from the idea of each spec being restricted to it's school, can we get it back as a cosmetic at least?

that and the phoenix orbs for fire mages

thanks

I agree that the look was pretty cool, and they could just bring it (and many, many other spells) visuals back with glyphs.

Why it was removed? Well, I assume it's a design issue. If it does more damage than the pure spells, why have the pure spells ingame? And if it does less, why have the combination?
    It might have had some merit when elemental resistance was a thing ingame, but that's long gone by now.
    And lore wise it does not make much sense why a fire mage would want to shoot ice to extinguish his fire, or frost mage would want to thaw his enemy with fire.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanu View Post

since we're moving from the idea of each spec being restricted to it's school, can we get it back as a cosmetic at least?

thanks
    Well, it was replaced by Flurry in the rotation as a Brain Freeze proc spell. I guess so they can have a fully frost arsenal? And you can't get it back as a cosmetic, since it's a single hitting spell, while Flurry is a 3 parter. And what would Phoenix Orbs replace? Unless you want them to be a fully cosmetic spells addition, but then what is the point?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-08-28 at 08:48 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    And what would Phoenix Orbs replace? Unless you want them to be a fully cosmetic spells addition, but then what is the point?
    Phoenix Orbs wasn't a spell, it was a passive effect from the Felo'Melorn legendary, you'd have a floating orb around your characters head for each charge of Pheonix Flames that you currently had. It would be nice for that to come back as a Glyph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    And lore wise it does not make much sense why a fire mage would want to shoot ice to extinguish his fire, or frost mage would want to thaw his enemy with fire.
    Lorewise I'd assume there's a magical framework separating the two, with the idea being that if a foe has some form of protection against one form of magic, then the other would penetrate the defences. Alternatively, maybe the temperature shock increases the damage done by the opposite element.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Well, it was replaced by Flurry in the rotation as a Brain Freeze proc spell. I guess so they can have a fully frost arsenal? And you can't get it back as a cosmetic, since it's a single hitting spell, while Flurry is a 3 parter. And what would Phoenix Orbs replace? Unless you want them to be a fully cosmetic spells addition, but then what is the point?
    Make it a talent that alters the spell? give it a fire damage dot or something to make it different?
    Not too hard to do, put it on a choice node for players that loathe using fire spells as frost spec. Maybe on perpetual winter or something?

Agreed. frostfire bolt looked great. and this game needs many many many more cosmetic glyphs

Not to mention the sound effect for it was also amazing.

I think with the new talent system they definitely could bring it back in some shape or form.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

thanks
    Memory serves it was too fun so naturally, fun was detected and nerfed.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    Memory serves it was too fun so naturally, fun was detected and nerfed.
    It got replaced by flurry, and flurry does a whole lot more for your gameplay since ffb was just a glorified FoF proc that you fire and forget.

It was available to Fire as well. At one point it did more damage than Fireball but had no DoT, and you could glyph Fireball to match FFB's damage, and/or glyph FFB to have the same DoT as Fireball. Thus you could choose which one you liked the look of most, glyph it, and be good to go.

The only difference was that Flurry applies Winter's Chill. Since we're going back to classes over specialization, I wouldn't mind if flurry was replaced with Frostfire bolt again mechanically functioning 100% the same. Logically it would still fit thematically as it would be an instant cast proc spell that, using frost magic slows your target, coupled with fire magic that guarantees spells to crit. Just change the name from 'Winter's Chill' to 'Winter's Burn'

Just make it a glyph.

thanks
    Removed to give it to shaman
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

Actually blizzard has gone on record stating that a lot of cosmetic glyphs have been removed due to inconsistency in PvP, having a one to one mapping of abilities and visuals is easier for people to recognise.
    Personally I despise that reasoning and think it's a poor excuse to remove cool visual features. At the very least just disable them in rated PvP...

I actually miss the spell as well. I wish they could do something similar to the Warlocks green fire for Frost Mages. Give a quest that will change the look of frostbolt and certain other spells to the frostfire style.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love the sound of the frostfire bolt, like some weird whirling noise.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Flurry visually is so damned uninspiring. Would love to have FFB back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didacdick View Post
    Flurry visually is so damned uninspiring. Would love to have FFB back.
    Frostfire bolt is definitely back I guess, since Frostfire is the new name for mages who chose frost as hero talents.
    "If you want to play alongside High and Void elves, the Alliance is waiting for you"

Quote Originally Posted by elbleuet View Post
    definitely back
    Quote Originally Posted by elbleuet View Post
    I guess
    Make up your mind. Which one is it?