Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Will you play SV spec in WOTLK?.

It's very competitive with MM, MM only becomes better with bis gear in the end game with ICC/ToC.

Ulduar, Naxx etc, SV is very strong and the gameplay is fun.

~Saul Goodman, the best lawyer that money can buy.

Any reason you won't post on your main instead of spamming accounts?

Literally nothing interesting about pre-legion survival

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    out of curiosity, what made it uninteresting?

anyhow to not go offtopic and to answer the topic: i have 2 hunters so i will play MM on one and play surv on the other, i enjoy both speccs alot so far. Wish retail hunter had the nice flow the class had back in Wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by saul gooodmann View Post
    It's very competitive with MM, MM only becomes better with bis gear in the end game with ICC/ToC.

Ulduar, Naxx etc, SV is very strong and the gameplay is fun.

~Saul Goodman, the best lawyer that money can buy.
    Not sure if classic WoLK is still true to when WoLK was out. Back then what you want to play is SV and aim for crt and then switch to MM once you have at least 50% armour pen. Not sure if they have still ArP as a stat though.

if blizz didn't kill my interest by completely destroying the spirit of the game with overly monetized crap, i would. survival only became bad to play in my mind after wod. legion and beyond was just a mish mash of crap with no real game plan. especially after legion when it loses the only game plan of the mongoose bite window.

Never was a fan of Survival before its melee-rework in Legion.

That said, i wasn't planning on playing Wotlk-classic anyway, Dragonflight is right around the corner and that has my interest for the near future.

Rip 40/21/0 bm

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    if blizz didn't kill my interest by completely destroying the spirit of the game with overly monetized crap, i would. survival only became bad to play in my mind after wod. legion and beyond was just a mish mash of crap with no real game plan. especially after legion when it loses the only game plan of the mongoose bite window.
    i mean they intentionally made survival bad in WoD to prepare it for the meele rework and by the looks of it survival aint looking bright in DF either for that matter

I loooved the focus-based Cata/MoP SV, very fast-paced, mobile, with good utility, maybe lacking somewhat in single target department, but very fun proc-based rotation, not dependent on stupid pet pathing that plagued BM...

the Legion changes pissed be off, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I loooved the focus-based Cata/MoP SV, very fast-paced, mobile, with good utility, maybe lacking somewhat in single target department, but very fun proc-based rotation, not dependent on stupid pet pathing that plagued BM...

the Legion changes pissed be off, big time.
    BuT Mm AnD sUrV wAs ThE sAmE hurrdidurr

Quote Originally Posted by Makaloff View Post
    i mean they intentionally made survival bad in WoD to prepare it for the meele rework and by the looks of it survival aint looking bright in DF either for that matter
    if you mean bad numbers wise, i can agree with you. but wod survival was my favorite style of ranged surv.

I will be playing SV exclusively in WotLK classic.

I played it most of the expac back then, too, as well as a bit of MM here and there. But this time around I know I have to enjoy it while I still can.

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Damn, crazy how ranged SV had 10x the attention and hype melee SV ever had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sponge5307 View Post
    Not sure if classic WoLK is still true to when WoLK was out. Back then what you want to play is SV and aim for crt and then switch to MM once you have at least 50% armour pen. Not sure if they have still ArP as a stat though.
    It's true that MM pulls ahead when you have enough armour penetration but it's also important to realise it's not like SV is totally unviable in ICC. It's still a very capable spec that saw a lot of play at the time. It's just not as good as MM at that point.

BM, on the other hand, is pretty much very bad the entire expac. It got nerfed excessively hard in 3.0.8 and remained underpowered for the entire expansion.

if you mean bad numbers wise, i can agree with you. but wod survival was my favorite style of ranged surv.
    aye it was number wise i meant. I didnt play much during wod so missed out how hunters were like at that point in time but i can imagine they were tons of fun to play, especielly MM with HFC tier set.

aye it was number wise i meant. I didnt play much during wod so missed out how hunters were like at that point in time but i can imagine they were tons of fun to play, especielly MM with HFC tier set.
    Also SV was pretty good at the start of WoD. It was heavily gutted in 6.2 which lasted a year so that's the part most people remember.

SV in WoD was basically the same spec as SV in MoP but somewhat (excessively) pruned. There was no more Hunter's Mark and Serpent Sting was a passive that was applied by Arcane Shot. These were OK changes but they also removed Rapid Fire and Kill Shot from the spec and didn't give any replacement. IIRC they also removed the ability to force a Lock and Load proc with freezing trap and added bad luck protection to Black Arrow. It also got a new talent row (at the time Exotic Munitions, Focusing Shot, and Lone Wolf) but otherwise it was mostly the same gameplay as MoP. That's what made it good; they didn't have enough time to ruin it yet. In fact that describes many specs from the time; still coasting off their heights from MoP.

WoD was prob my most active and geared expansion having mythic HFC on farm (god MM was fun then) but IIRC I still swapped to survival for pvp.

SoO Surv was still best surv imo, but SL was the last straw for me, can't enjoy MM anymore and surv is fun but not... "hunter" to me, so hunter main no more since 2005 :/

it played very similarly to it did in mop and wod but multistrike being the main stat then is what made it my favorite. when you're applying tons of dots and the dots can effectively have dots, the playstyle felt like death by a thousand cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bepples View Post
    I will be playing SV exclusively in WotLK classic.

I played it most of the expac back then, too, as well as a bit of MM here and there. But this time around I know I have to enjoy it while I still can.

Damn, crazy how ranged SV had 10x the attention and hype melee SV ever had.

- - - Updated - - -

It's true that MM pulls ahead when you have enough armour penetration but it's also important to realise it's not like SV is totally unviable in ICC. It's still a very capable spec that saw a lot of play at the time. It's just not as good as MM at that point.

BM, on the other hand, is pretty much very bad the entire expac. It got nerfed excessively hard in 3.0.8 and remained underpowered for the entire expansion.
    Yup I raided with SV till Mid ICC when I have enough ArP. Both specs I was always within the top 3 dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bepples View Post
    Also SV was pretty good at the start of WoD. It was heavily gutted in 6.2 which lasted a year so that's the part most people remember.

SV in WoD was basically the same spec as SV in MoP but somewhat (excessively) pruned. There was no more Hunter's Mark and Serpent Sting was a passive that was applied by Arcane Shot. These were OK changes but they also removed Rapid Fire and Kill Shot from the spec and didn't give any replacement. IIRC they also removed the ability to force a Lock and Load proc with freezing trap and added bad luck protection to Black Arrow. It also got a new talent row (at the time Exotic Munitions, Focusing Shot, and Lone Wolf) but otherwise it was mostly the same gameplay as MoP. That's what made it good; they didn't have enough time to ruin it yet. In fact that describes many specs from the time; still coasting off their heights from MoP.
    ah i see, always interesting to get a insight how the specc was pre legion days. i just wish blizzard could have continued to iterate on it instead of reworking it into...whatever "modern" survival is supposed to be. Kinda crazy how many speccs got ruined with legion and yet people seem to praise the expansion like it was some sort of messiah.

- - - Updated - - -

it played very similarly to it did in mop and wod but multistrike being the main stat then is what made it my favorite. when you're applying tons of dots and the dots can effectively have dots, the playstyle felt like death by a thousand cuts.
    ah i see, so a hunters version of affliction warlock pretty much

ah i see, so a hunters version of affliction warlock pretty much
    with mobility.