Poll: Motivationfor pvp?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did the lore ever motivate you to kill the other faction?

Or did you just like killing other players or maybe just prefer the challenge of pvp? or hated the whole premise?

Would you engage in pvp if you were fighting for peace? i.e. peace with the other faction and you were eliminating people in both the other faction and yours who wanted war or killing to promote it?
    Last edited by Mace; 2022-08-29 at 08:48 AM.

There have absolutely been lore reasons for myself to attack the other faction, but it hasn't been the only factor.
    It's been a mixture of many different things: Fun, Rivalry, Progress (Honor Points) and of course Lore reasons, especially if you have leveled as a Horde (I am mainly Alliance though).

I would almost say that Lore has played a part in the reasoning why Horde players tend to be more actively pvping compared to Alliance. Talking about Vanilla, Alliance only start to get somewhat confronted with the Horde in the Ashenvale and then to a much greater extent in Hillsbrad Foothills and STV. Meanwhile, the Horde fights off the Alliance (NPC's) already in their starter zones and begins "seeing" them in the next tier of leveling zones (Barrens and Silverpine Forrest).

As Alliance I absolutely had War Mode on for all of BfA and murdered every last Horde I could.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just like killing people. My wife and I are gankers and we don't give a fuuuuuuck, flag off warmode if you don't want to fight~

We play Alliance and Horde and it doesn't matter; red = dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Or did you just like killing other players or maybe just prefer the challenge of pvp? or hated the whole premise?

Would you engage in pvp if you were fighting for peace? i.e. peace with the other faction and you were eliminating people in both the other faction and yours who wanted war or killing to promote it?
    Lore has motivated me to do it in Vanilla, Wrath, Cata, MoP, and BFA. Else, not really. I normally play 50/50 in Warmode.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both factions suck ass lore wise, and that is a sufficient lore reason to eliminate the members of both. It's literally mercy killing. Too bad WoW has no valid Independent "faction".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Whether i liked the lore of a given expac or not, i never cared about it pvp-wise. I pvp for fun, and don't really need a lore excuse.

That said, i also don't think the faction conflict lore needs pvp gameplay to justify it, and vice versa. Let us pvp however and have the stories reflected in quests and events. And only write faction conflict stories when you have good ideas how to make it work, don't needlessly repeat it every second expac.

I think you have given this alot more thinking than it should

most ppl attack cus of fun or they dislike other faction or for pvp
    I don't think people think that deeply about attacking other faction xD

Nah. I play PvP when i like PvP. Lore only applies to lore characters for me not players.
    As a nightelve i kinda have a bit of hatred towards undead. And honestly as any horde race that is not orc i hate orcs. They basically founded and the systemically forced evry ally into a world war again and again.

But actually wanted to play PvP because of faction pride or revenge? Nah. PvP ingame has (for me) absolutly no connection to lore whatsover and is completly removed from the rest of the game.

And warmode is shit. So much fun getting repeatedly ganked by a 40 man squad. I don't have it activ most of the time and if i do i ignore PVP completly. Someoneattacks me. I let him kill me. It is faster to get back to questing this way.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflight10 View Post
    I think you have given this alot more thinking than it should

most ppl attack cus of fun or they dislike other faction or for pvp
    I don't think people think that deeply about attacking other faction xD
    Evidently not.. personally, if it weren't for lore reason, i'd never have attacked other players.. and even with lore reasons, I am still given the other player the benefit of the doubt - maybe he wants peace, - they're people too.

I would engage with pvp more if I were fighting peopel who were sabotaging peace - and iw as working with a faction that wanted to establish connections and peace betwen thehorde racs and alliance races.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Both factions suck ass lore wise, and that is a sufficient lore reason to eliminate the members of both. It's literally mercy killing. Too bad WoW has no valid Independent "faction".
    nor a reason within each faction to work towards peace and in doing so fight those driectly opposing it /sabotaging it for example.

I was a part of the Kor'Kron Legion, an RP-PvP guild. During MoP, on the Moon-Guard server, we had a huge RP-PvP campaigns. Screenshot below is from a campaign to capture the Thandol-Span. an attempt to capture the Thandol-Span. You certainly don't see anything like that anymore. There were a few zergs during the first few weeks of BFA when warmode came out, but that was it.

Reasons ranked:

1 Curiosity; using abilities to influence their characters influences their behaviour, like a cat would play with a mouse. (or like a boy would play with sandcastles or any other thing that can be used as a toy) Except here you're both cats, and neither can actually get hurt.
    2 Challenge: They have the same options as i (assuming no balancing issues for the sake of convenience), making the fights that much more interesting. Also PvE always feels like fighting some boring predictable puppet, whereas another player is, or can be, unpredictable. Moreso if he /she is dumb or overly trained.
    3 Lore: For the Horde! For the Alliance! Hah-ha watch as your beefbulk rots away before the withering might of my gnomish warlock, whose very existence is the closest thing to a taunt that shal ever work in pvp. What's that? Nooo! Don't run from me little gnome, my dear pet ravager fluffyballs only wants to hug you! Watch as i launch your allies into every direction off the bridge in AV!
    4 I like the game, the game is about killing things, ergo i like killing things in the game. (mind you: This does not have much to do with actually killing things, replacing the text "dead" with "Knocked out" in example would not change anything for me; the functional part is to take them out of order)
    Last edited by loras; 2022-08-29 at 05:39 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the decade I've killed as many Alliance players as I can. Sometimes being 1 on 1, me jumping them, me being jumped by them, me having a roaming gank squad, or fighting and dying to a roaming gank squad. Reasons were many, but ultimately the most important reason was that I just wanted to kill another player. Sometimes I wanted a challenge, sometimes I wanted to be a dink, sometimes I was bored, and sometimes they simply targeted me or were running faster than me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely.

I used to cheer Alliance when they invaded Orgrimmar to kill Garrosh or Sylvanas
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Without the lore there is no motive or reason to kill other players, save someone who just like to pvp, but then, its the same to any other game.

WoW lore about factions and the rivalry is what made things more unique with a big escale.

But now, meh lore and the factions are dead, i have no desire or motivation to do pvp and pve related to then, at all.

I tried PVP back in old times, when I was new and was trying all kinds of content to find my niche. I realized pretty quickly, that Wow's implementation of PVP wasn't for me. I was playing other PVP games back then, such as Quake, Half-Life and CS. Lack of 1vs1 balance was making it very unfair and even toxic. Toxic - is when players exploit their unfair advantage to "troll" others. And I also realized, that I didn't want to sacrifice my PVE business. I won't tell you story about OP Paladins and gimped Shamans. But after all that disaster I decided to switch to PVE servers and avoid any PVP. This is real reason, why I hate so much, when PVP is forced on me instead of providing voluntary choice. There are things, that should never be done. They're taboo. For example FFA PVP zones. But Blizzard do the same mistakes again, again and again.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Kirin Tor in me has always held me to go no further than needed. After Theramore I became a bit more...unwilling to sit idly by at those stages.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I was a part of the Kor'Kron Legion, an RP-PvP guild. During MoP, on the Moon-Guard server, we had a huge RP-PvP campaigns. Screenshot below is from a campaign to capture the Thandol-Span. an attempt to capture the Thandol-Span. You certainly don't see anything like that anymore. There were a few zergs during the first few weeks of BFA when warmode came out, but that was it.

Sucks. In AD I had running battles in that long bridge in Nazmir that had a pvp WQ during the assault that lasted for HOURS. Not a zerg like this (and tbh I don't see the point of a zerg, there is no gameplay to it) but multiple groups with people joining and leaving. Same in Drustvar with the Horde besieging the town. And large back and forth battles in Nazjatar were very common

The exact opposite, we came together to fight the big bad evil for 10+ years now.

i just like to pvp i don't really care about factions.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.