Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Has wow outgrown a player economy?

If you removed the ability to trade items in anyway between players barring bop loot from group contents would anything in wow be lost?

If you do away with consumables and item enchants it feels like at least to me that nothing would really be lost.

It is rather rare that people buy gear beyond a way to sling shot alts ...

What do you think. With the multiple modes of difficulty and deterministic loot is the player economy a detriment or positive to the player experience.

Personally I have always thought any game is better without player trading systems, but I know I am probably in the minority on that. Nothing has really changed though, so I would disagree with the idea of it outgrowing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    If you removed the ability to trade items in anyway between players barring bop loot from group contents would anything in wow be lost?

If you do away with consumables and item enchants it feels like at least to me that nothing would really be lost.

What do you think. With the multiple modes of difficulty and deterministic loot is the player economy a detriment or positive to the player experience.
    Wtf did I just read?

My first thought is regarding chants/pots/flasks is when content is built assuming everyone has them... then they serve no purpose. It would be odd not to have trading, though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The player economy was perfect. They literally just destroyed it in the last patch, not sure why but it is now officially garbo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    The player economy was perfect. They literally just destroyed it in the last patch, not sure why but it is now officially garbo.
    Nice joke, it's been ruined for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    Nice joke, it's been ruined for ages.
    I mean, OP is talking about something totally different. I am referring to the AH. Before this last patch I could still make a good amount of gold clearing my WoD garrisons and buying Sumptuous Fur when it was at its cheapest. Now, that fur sells for 1 silver... worthless and that is just one example out of thousands of items Blizz nuked the value of.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    My first thought is regarding chants/pots/flasks is when content is built assuming everyone has them... then they serve no purpose. It would be odd not to have trading, though.
    I think they serve a purpose, but only if there is actual choice. I hope the enchants I've seen in dragonflight lean more to "this is optimal in X but this is optimal in Y and this is just more fun."
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Spoken like the true gold farmer who likes to just ruin economies.. thanks.. #%$$!... your kind is not welcome here..

I mean, OP is talking about something totally different. I am referring to the AH. Before this last patch I could still make a good amount of gold clearing my WoD garrisons and buying Sumptuous Fur when it was at its cheapest. Now, that fur sells for 1 silver... worthless and that is just one example out of thousands of items Blizz nuked the value of.
    This is exactly why the economy has been ruined for ages.

Ever since the game started printing out gold and mats out of thin air in WoD, shits been worthless. It sounds like it just caught up to your realm.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This is exactly why the economy has been ruined for ages.

Ever since the game started printing out gold and mats out of thin air in WoD, shits been worthless. It sounds like it just caught up to your realm.
    I mean if the point of the economy is simply to move gold around for passive items raiders to buy then I would argue it isnt really accomplishing anything.

Wonder when WoD Classic will come for the raid loggers to go live there.

I mean if the point of the economy is simply to move gold around for passive items raiders to buy then I would argue it isnt really accomplishing anything.
    What does raiding have to do with the economy? I haven't raided since Cata, yet I have millions of gold, and a healthy economy is important to me.

Economy: "An economy is a measure of production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services".

We'll eventually get back to an equilibrium. It's going to take time, but the economy will settle and you'll be able to find niches that are profitable again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    We'll eventually get back to an equilibrium. It's going to take time, but the economy will settle and you'll be able to find niches that are profitable again.
    Its been years. No, that wont be happening. So long as you can buy gold, their can be no real player econemy.
    Last edited by Toppy; 2022-08-30 at 03:43 PM.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I would argue that WoW is experiencing it's first "Financial crisis". Everyone knows how the old system worked, either stuff was cheap on your realm, but it sold fast, or it was expensive but hard to sell. Noone feels sure about the new system, so everyone is in a "sell sell sell!" mentality hoping to get rid of their stock before prices go down even further.
    This in a time before the new expansion launches (Which is the busiest time economically)
    Things will take time to right themselves, months in most cases. Some items will also end up at new price points, there are already nice new avenues of income on the connected market you didn't have before.

As for the OP, I disagree, a working economy facilitates player interaction, be that goods, services or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Its been years. No, that wont be happening. So long as you can buy gold, their can be no real player econemy.
    The first gold selling sites popped up in Vanilla, we have money selling in real life (illegal things go here so I'm not going to name any)
    The important part in both examples is, money isn't created when someone buys it, it simply trades hands, you didn't buy the token gold from Blizzard, you bought it form a guy that had to earn it.
    The economy obscures these things a bit necessarily, but what you in effect did was hire a guy to farm gold for you.
    Last edited by Sialina; 2022-08-30 at 04:04 PM.

If you're talking about the token, that doesn't have a negative effect on the economy. Gold (money) isn't spun out of thin air. Someone had to earn it. It just trades hands. If anything, the token helps the economy by moving stagnant money around, potentially removing it from the economy, whereas it would have otherwise been doing nothing (if everyone put all their money under the mattress, doing nothing with it, that's bad for economies).

If you're talking about illegal gold selling, that absolutely does have an effect on the economy. Gold from these sites is typically harvested from compromised accounts. If a person's account was compromised, and their 1 million gold goes missing, the 1 million gold is sold to other players (and is rarely taken back). Blizzard then re-deposits the 1 million back into the compromised account via a restore. Now the 1 million is 2 million in the economy...which is printing money out of thin air. Which is bad.
    Last edited by ablib; 2022-08-30 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Fuck yes a player economy is important to the game! It would harm the game big time, there is more to the game than just running instances/raids/PvP. People actively do trades, some even play for doing trade, and you want to remove one of the biggest functions in the game? The ability to share, trade, sell, buy, and gift? It isn't that rare that people buy gear. I sell daily out of crafted gear, player to player, or through the auction house.

- - - Updated - - -

So, WoW has never had a real player economy in the first place. Gotcha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    What does raiding have to do with the economy? I haven't raided since Cata, yet I have millions of gold, and a healthy economy is important to me.

Economy: "An economy is a measure of production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services".
    Its more a case of it not adding anything to the gameplay. Every consumable barring potions are passive. Gear is only bought for alts or a very small portion of mythic players for progression.

I would argue the economy gets in the way of gameplay more then helping it.