Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cases for or against the Naga joining one of the factions in lore

I have seen many times people expressing the wish to see the Naga becoming a playable race, as well as many theories on when it should or it should have happened.

These opinions are based on the unique looks and designs of the Naga, of their architecture and of their unique culture and history amongst the races of Azeroth and how it would allow to explore further the seas and oceans of Azeroth.

But what are the cases and arguments in lore for the Naga to leave the queen they have served faithfully and even worshipped for so long, and to join either the Alliance or the Horde, or to become a neutral race whose individuals can choose to join one the factions ?

Which arguments and cases have you seen in these directions ? Which arguments would you use to justify it happening in the story ?

And which cases would you use to, on the contrary, justify them not having any redemption and staying enemies of the Alliance and Horde ?
    Last edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight; 2022-09-01 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The biggest case for playable Naga is that they're a fully-fleshed out race with their own unique aesthetic and a long-time connection to the ongoing Warcraft story. The biggest case against playable Naga is that they're a uniformly malevolent race corrupted into service by the Old Gods with a megalomaniacal agenda. In order to have playable Naga, you'd likely need a story that engineers a splinter-group of Naga who turn against Azshara and/or the Old Gods and seek atonement for their misdeeds from either the Horde or Alliance or both.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to play a Naga.
    While I think the Horde has a better chance of getting them (Blood elves and Nightborne) I wouldn't discard the chance of some Naga wishing to reconect with the Kaldorei

I'd keep them as neutral or playable on both factions.
    Besides, factions at this point are not what they used to be. I'd rather just get every new race playable on both
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Big problem from a gameplay standpoint is mounts.

You either have to invent some a 'more elf' form like dracthyr use, which i feel waters them down and makes them more dracthyr-like, or have to figure out whats to creatively pose their tail.

I know some people in the past have said "just have them ride side sadle" but given the wide variety of mounts, and their shapes, it'd require a ton of rather creative tail posing for each mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post

You either have to invent some a 'more elf' form like dracthyr use, which i feel waters them down and makes them more dracthyr-like, or have to figure out whats to creatively pose their tail.

I know some people in the past have said "just have them ride side sadle" but given the wide variety of mounts, and their shapes, it'd require a ton of rather creative tail posing for each mount.
    Alternatively, Jinyu or Ankoan fill the bipedal fish-people niche.

Nagas were allies of the Blood elves and would probably be of the Nightborne as well, sharing their magic addiction and Highborne ancestry.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

No its not. Sidesaddle excists.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Nagas were allies of the Blood elves and would probably be of the Nightborne as well, sharing their magic addiction and Highborne ancestry.
    Original highbornes with the well of eternity are not magic addicted, they depend on is magic, the whole empire, spells, buildings, defense systems build on that source, but they are not addicted to it. And the nagas? who know? I don't remember lore about them to be addicted or not, Illidan teach the new blood elfs how to drain power from demons, not Vashj.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    Original highbornes with the well of eternity are not magic addicted, they depend on is magic, the whole empire, spells, buildings, defense systems build on that source, but they are not addicted to it. And the nagas? who know? I don't remember lore about them to be addicted or not, Illidan teach the new blood elfs how to drain power from demons, not Vashj.
    Naga are addicted to magic, since their inception.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/A_D...(WC3_BloodElf)

IconSmall Vashj.gif Lady Vashj: I know this hunger, Kael. Like us, your people are addicted to magic!
    IconSmall Vashj.gif Lady Vashj: It flowed through your veins for over ten thousand years. And now, with the corruption of your land and the Sunwell that empowered you...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post

IconSmall Vashj.gif Lady Vashj: I know this hunger, Kael. Like us, your people are addicted to magic!
    IconSmall Vashj.gif Lady Vashj: It flowed through your veins for over ten thousand years. And now, with the corruption of your land and the Sunwell that empowered you...
    Not to mention that even as recent as BfA there were Naga in Nazmir who were abducting Krag'wa's children to fuel their addiction, according to the Naga Priestess Zaldraxia.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

But how, what source of magic they addicted to? High/blood elfs have the sunwell, Nightborne have a nightwell. The nagas have something like that? In WOTA books one time for empowering the portal the demons and Xavius cut the Well from every elf who not in the palace, They panicked, etc but there is no lore on addictive symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    But how, what source of magic they addicted to? High/blood elfs have the sunwell, Nightborne have a nightwell. The nagas have something like that? In WOTA books one time for empowering the portal the demons and Xavius cut the Well from every elf who not in the palace, They panicked, etc but there is no lore on addictive symptoms.
    The Naga are literally all those palace highborne and their descendants, who were never cut off from the well and were without a stable source once it was gone, grabbing whatever they can ever since, to sate their hunger.

And mild symptoms were present throughout all of them, which is why Malfurion went to get the connection back.

The Naga are literally all those palace highborne and their descendants, who were never cut off from the well and were without a stable source once it was gone, grabbing whatever they can ever since, to sate their hunger.
    Fair enough.

Naga are evil. It makes no sense them joining either faction. Their goal is literally world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    No its not. Sidesaddle excists.
    First of all sidesaddle with flight sounds truly rediculus.

Secondly not every mount's side is the same. And then you get mounts with seats with very little leg groom to cram a giant tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Naga are evil. It makes no sense them joining either faction. Their goal is literally world domination.
    They can be of good use, an evil, cunning species in wow, because the playable species are neutered. Nagas can use forms from combat (nightborne and night elf or multiple species, it doesn't really matter). Both factions are used in disguise for their own benefit. We don't really need a real ally for the factions. We need something new. Ofc gamplay reson, they will with "us", but in the lore and RP nagas only want to weaken the Horde and the Alliance.
    Or something like that.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all sidesaddle with flight sounds truly rediculus.

Secondly not every mount's side is the same. And then you get mounts with seats with very little leg groom to cram a giant tail.
    Tail can move and wrap.. they could animate it well enough to make it work for sure. Sidesaddle belongs to naga.

An elf form would't do naga justice.. they are naga after all.

With cross-faction content being the way forward and knowing that in the course of the next few years it's going to expand to guilds and all other content I would be surprised if we get faction specific races ever again.

It just makes no sense at this point to have faction specific additions such as new races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally for it.

Imagine a naga DH.
    heheh they are technically elves! and buddies with Illidan.

- - - Updated - - -

are we going to pretend like lore plays any role on races and story nowadays?

Their goal is literally world domination.
    Then the Horde is perfect for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/