Poll: Was Hillary Right?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Was Hillary Clinton Right About the Deplorables?

6 year anniversary, Hillary's words seem prophetic. Was she right?
    Hillary Clinton warned us that the "basket of deplorables" were a threat to American democracy. She was simply offering a reasonable analysis based on the available evidence — and she paid an enormous political price for daring to tell that truth in public.

"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case — and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think well he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment.

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? [Laughter/applause]. The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people, now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric. Now some of those folks, they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of the head of a major political party promising to pardon the lynch mob he sent after his own Vice President.

More or less, yes. It felt unwarranted at the time, but time has shown her to be more or less correct.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Half may have been low balling it but otherwise pretty spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    More or less, yes. It felt unwarranted at the time, but time has shown her to be more or less correct.
    The GOP is not the party of Donald Trump. Its the party of Jesse Helms and has been for the part 50 years.

And I can think of relatively few people more deplorable than Jesse Helms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well DUH! YES!

Hillary Clinton is a brilliant woman, not a perfect woman not unlike any human being, but she has a Legacy of being an interesting woman in interesting times. As for her deplorable comment, she was right and then some and if I thought she was wrong it's only because it's stands as an understatement.

I am not exactly sure how the same people who called for her blood over fucking email's on a open server are hand waiving Trump fucking stealing classified top secret documents. Unless it just a choice, which I accept they accept.

But to completely go over a cliff for this Narcissist, White Supremacists, Con Man, piece of shit, who has never loved or done anything for anybody but himself. Biden is also far from perfect but at this Point there is NOBODY who is as fucked up or lead as many people fucked up as the January 6th specifically than these people.

And before anybody goes on about riots in wake of the George Floyd murder, none of that was identified by any one group and they sure as shit weren't carrying Hillary, Bernie or Biden Flags.

These motherfuckers committed an insurrection in Trumps name carrying HIS FLAG!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well DUH! YES!

Hillary Clinton is a brilliant woman, not a perfect woman not unlike any human being, but she has a Legacy of being an interesting woman in interesting times. As for her deplorable comment, she was right and then some and if I thought she was wrong it's only because it's stands as an understatement.

I am not exactly sure how the same people who called for her blood over fucking email's on a open server are hand waiving Trump fucking stealing classified top secret documents. Unless it just a choice, which I accept they accept.

But to completely go over a cliff for this Narcissist, White Supremacists, Con Man, piece of shit, who has never loved or done anything for anybody but himself. Biden is also far from perfect but at this Point there is NOBODY who is as fucked up or lead as many people fucked up as the January 6th specifically than these people.

And before anybody goes on about riots in wake of the George Floyd murder, none of that was identified by any one group and they sure as shit weren't carrying Hillary, Bernie or Biden Flags.

These motherfuckers committed an insurrection in Trumps name carrying HIS FLAG!
    cause you cant shame the shameless, and if they didn't have double standards, the GOP wouldn't have standards at all.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Thing is it didn't feel unwarranted even at the time.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the most informative thing about that moment, particularly in hindsight, is that Hillary's full quote was "you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables", and I want to emphasize that first bit. Half of his supporters in the basket. And all those supporters fucking tripped over themselves to lambast Clinton, because every one of them assumed they were in the "deplorable half". None of them were saying "well I'm not deplorable, so don't lump me in with those other guys", they all took it personally.

It's one of the grandest examples of telling on themselves that we've ever seen.

If this had been a courtroom, it was the equivalent of the prosecution accusing the defendant of murdering his wife in the bath, and the defendant angrily retorting that he killed her in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Thing is it didn't feel unwarranted even at the time.
    I can at least say that today, without it sounding like hyperbole, that all current Trump-supporters are at the very least semi-fascists.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

She underestimated by 100%, but otherwise, yes.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's important to keep in mind why this topic is coming up now. The MAGA crowd took a definite hit with the Trump confidential document revelations. Their #1 strategy when these things happen has been deflection (ex. gun control discussion after mass shootings->blame videogames). It's the same case here, trying to deflect with a strawman argument that the left is saying ALL conservatives are radicals or deplorables. They've never said that, but the MAGA crowd has used it in recent rallies claiming that the left says that all conservatives are traitors, terrorists, deplorables, radicals, etc. in an attempt to deflect from Mar-a-Lago.

However, to some degree I think it has worked. I think the left has said and has been specific about saying the problem is a certain % subset of conservatives that are on the radical end. Not all conservatives want book bans, isolationism, authoritarianism, overturning legitimate elections, making violent threats against opposition, etc. That is the radical portion of today's GOP that the left is referring to as deplorables. Unfortunately the political GOP leadership has embraced that segment of the party. So they are part of it too. But the majority of conservatives in the public are just normal people who's party has been hijacked by a radical minority, and some successful fear mongering through social media.

Don’t drink the kool-aid

7+ Year Old Account
    Let's just say that your political opponents are Nazis.

What then is the solution? Even if Democrats win elections I still don't think there's anything they could do that would satisfy leftist progressives... I think the reality of the situation here is just that it will take time to convince conservatives that liberal principles are more universal and therefore superior, and that these values optimize the rate of progress for everyone.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-09-03 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Let's just say that your political opponents are Nazis.

What then is the solution? Even if Democrats win elections I still don't think there's anything they could do that would satisfy leftist progressives... I think the reality of the situation here is just that it will take time to convince conservatives that liberal principles are more universal and therefore superior, and that these values optimize the rate of progress for everyone.
    How much time do you think we need to convince people that wanted to overthrow democracy and put Trump in as dictator? last polling I saw was that 70% ish of republicans believed that Trump is the real president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hillary was very much correct, back then. It was rather evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I think the most informative thing about that moment, particularly in hindsight, is that Hillary's full quote was "you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables", and I want to emphasize that first bit. Half of his supporters in the basket. And all those supporters fucking tripped over themselves to lambast Clinton, because every one of them assumed they were in the "deplorable half". None of them were saying "well I'm not deplorable, so don't lump me in with those other guys", they all took it personally.

It's one of the grandest examples of telling on themselves that we've ever seen.

If this had been a courtroom, it was the equivalent of the prosecution accusing the defendant of murdering his wife in the bath, and the defendant angrily retorting that he killed her in the garage.
    Yeah. It sure was an interesting reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Yeah. It sure was an interesting reaction.
    Not really THAT interesting.

I mean, you aim an accusation at half of any group and most everyone in that group is going to take offense. Not to mention that - socially speaking - saying, "Well I'm not..." is usually taken as proof that you actually are.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, it felt pretty warranted at the time. They were never really making a secret of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Not really THAT interesting.

I mean, you aim an accusation at half of any group and most everyone in that group is going to take offense. Not to mention that - socially speaking - saying, "Well I'm not..." is usually taken as proof that you actually are.
    I now wish Hillary would come out and apologize "Half of Trump's supporters are not deplorable".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I now wish Hillary would come out and apologize "Half of Trump's supporters are not deplorable".
    Nah, did anyone actually ever think "half" in earnest anyway? Pretty sure we all thought that it was close to "all" but Hillary wanted to remain politically generous about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    "And the other half are fascists.". That would be the tweet from Hillary I'd love to see right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.