Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    If the AMD GPU is priced relatively fairly and FSR 2.0 works well enough that does sound like a good deal for a bunch of people.

    A lot of the market is still stuck with a 1060 or near enough card, to me this indicates that there's untapped potential for lower range cards that Nvidia has ignored in favor of pushing forever higher specs and prices even for their lower end.
    Which AMD has gone along with, FWIW. There's no well performing mainstream card below 300$, really (some 6600s are in the 280$ range).

    What we're seeing is the outcome of the Pandemic.

    During the Pandemic, nVidia saw people paying well above MSRP for cards and figured that if people were paying those prices and they were still selling out, they might as well just raise the prices.

    This is a serious bonehead move, IMO. Even though i have a 3080FE, i might have sprung on a 4080 and given the 3080 to my wife.... if it was priced in the realm of sanity. It should have been the same price as the 3080 or maybe 50$ more, and the "higher end" 4080 should have landed at the 900$ price point and been called 3080 SUPER or something (if they didn't want to burn the Ti branding, as previously the SUPER moniker mostly meant "more/better VRAM/bandwidth". They should have been a lot closer on GPU cores/etc as well - the 4080 12GB is WAY too cut down to be seriously ALSO be called a "4080". Or they should have just called it what it is and sold it as a 3070Ti.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i'm genuinely interested to see what AMD brings to market, considering that they pioneered the S.A.M. technology which Nvidia and Intel scrambled to have as a feature on the 30 series cards a year later and was so badly rushed it actually punished people for using resizable BAR instead of the AMD version of the feature providing actual benefits to the user..
    What? So, AMD is winning, because they have S.A.M. and lower performance anyways than nVidia? Meanwhile AMD is not scrambling to get DLSS and ray tracing performance which actually give results? That's the problem right there then - AMD is wasting resources for fuck all results. Thank you for explaining.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  3. #43
    Banned rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    What? So, AMD is winning, because they have S.A.M. and lower performance anyways than nVidia? Meanwhile AMD is not scrambling to get DLSS and ray tracing performance which actually give results? That's the problem right there then - AMD is wasting resources for fuck all results. Thank you for explaining.
    thank you for missing the entire point, good job, way to prove you're only here to troll and bait.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I don't really understand your point, 40-series is too expensive for the majority and DLSS 3.0 is limited to them.
    DLSS 2.4 is not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    thank you for missing the entire point, good job, way to prove you're only here to troll and bait.
    What it proves is that I don't care about cheap inferior products in IT. Android, windows, amd, linux on desktop, steam deck - bleh.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  5. #45
    Personally, I'd wait.

    As far as the AMD vs Nvidia thing, need benchmarks to decide, but AMD hasn't won in a long time I can remember. Brand loyalty is great and all, but put out a better product, and within a relatively short timeframe, most will be on board.

    All things being equal performance/price-wise, I'd go Nvidia because I have this perception that their drivers for old and obscure games are better. I'm not sure if that is true. However, old and obscure games are super important for me as a PC gamer, and I'm not concerned with brute force to make up for any software deficiency, but I certainly don't want them to crash. If one only has a few specific games they play, then back to benchmarks for just those games.

    As a long time PC builder, when deciding on a GPU, I will base that decision on price/performance, not brand loyalty(in theory). That said, I almost always bought EVGA.....so in reality, I'll probably be moving from EVGA to an ASUS GPU or a FE. I was always a big fan of XFX as well, so if I ever leave team green, I might look back into them for gpu. I am saying no to brand loyalty, but yes to good products.

    The cut down 12gb 4080 though, imo, is absolutely not it. Sad to me these GPU prices are making me think that prebuilt, streaming, mobile, and even console will be the future, it seems artificial(even though it may not be) that these cards price has increased so much. I would love to see some real competition, but have not seen it so far. Real competition could do wonders here, honestly just like it did with CPUs.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-09-21 at 09:09 PM.

  6. #46
    Banned rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    DLSS 2.4 is not.

    - - - Updated - - -



    What it proves is that I don't care about cheap inferior products in IT. Android, windows, amd, linux on desktop, steam deck - bleh.
    you keep reinforcing the point that you're clueless and just here to troll, stop, you're not helping yourself here.

  7. #47
    Buy the dip, 3080ti is going to be a huge boost and way cheaper. Then ride it out until the 5x or 6x series launches in a few years. I don't really see you needing anything more potent for a while. Even if you're playing at 4k.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    it seems artificial(even though it may not be) that these cards price has increased so much.
    It absolutely is. nVidia saw people paying well over previous MSRP during the pandemic and they were still selling out, so they figured they could just raise the prices because obviously people will pay it.

    I would love to see some real competition, but have not seen it so far. Real competition could do wonders here, honestly just like it did with CPUs.
    that would require AMD to be producing something that actually competes though.

    Ive got no particular bias against AMDs GPUs... but they simply dont perform. The 6900XT kept up in basic rasterization with the 3080... but the moment you add any RT or FSR/DLSS techniques the performance tanks (compared to an equivalent nVidia card; performance is likely still "fine")

    Unless AMD can offer some VERY compelling uplifts to their non-rasterization game, nVidia will continue to be the "better" product.

    Especially since AMD doesn't seem to be very interested in undercutting nVidia much on price, hapilly followig nVidia's lead to higher prices.

    If AMD really wants to kick some ass here they can offer a card with the performance of the lower-end 4080, and offer it for what the 3080 cost, and not 900 fucking dollars.

    Question is, will they bother when they can simply offer it for 850$.

    Answer is most assuredly "no"

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Which AMD has gone along with, FWIW. There's no well performing mainstream card below 300$, really (some 6600s are in the 280$ range).

    What we're seeing is the outcome of the Pandemic.

    During the Pandemic, nVidia saw people paying well above MSRP for cards and figured that if people were paying those prices and they were still selling out, they might as well just raise the prices.

    This is a serious bonehead move, IMO. Even though i have a 3080FE, i might have sprung on a 4080 and given the 3080 to my wife.... if it was priced in the realm of sanity. It should have been the same price as the 3080 or maybe 50$ more, and the "higher end" 4080 should have landed at the 900$ price point and been called 3080 SUPER or something (if they didn't want to burn the Ti branding, as previously the SUPER moniker mostly meant "more/better VRAM/bandwidth". They should have been a lot closer on GPU cores/etc as well - the 4080 12GB is WAY too cut down to be seriously ALSO be called a "4080". Or they should have just called it what it is and sold it as a 3070Ti.
    Yeah, I'm not really expecting AMD to fill in the gap, just hoping somewhat against hope that they'll do it. Not because I'd buy those cards but because they might inject some sense into the market and slow down this price ballooning. At this rate the 50xx gen will launch at close to 1K USD for "mid-range" cards which is a joke of a concept, especially when consoles are far less hit by this price increase.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  10. #50


    This guy has good analysis of the bs nvidia is trying to pull with those performance graphs. The "4080" 12gb is more like a 3080ti/3090 in rasterization for 900 bucks.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2022-09-23 at 04:39 AM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    What? So, AMD is winning, because they have S.A.M. and lower performance anyways than nVidia? Meanwhile AMD is not scrambling to get DLSS and ray tracing performance which actually give results? That's the problem right there then - AMD is wasting resources for fuck all results. Thank you for explaining.
    Outside of raytacing, AMD is on par and trades blows with Nvidia in 2k/4k, the 68/6900xts are amazing cards. Most people don't use raytracing, so there's really no need to only go with nvidia, especially given the price disparity....and the shenanigans they're trying to pull with the 40 series.


    That is unless you need CUDA or something.
    Last edited by swisscheese; 2022-09-23 at 05:04 AM.

  12. #52
    I will wait.
    The 4000 series is a big jump.

    Surprising, this is a bad news for Nvidia.
    It is holding tons of 3090 chips.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Saw an i7 PC with 3080 for $1200.
    That is crazy.

    Just a year ago, that 3080 alone is $2000.
    I get the i7 CPU, motherboard, memory, hard drive for free and got 800 cash back !

    Shouldn't the inflation causes the PC and GPU price to go higher? Not lower?

  13. #53
    New nvidia generation is looking like a scam
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

    End of quote. Repeat the line.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Outside of raytacing, AMD is on par and trades blows with Nvidia in 2k/4k, the 68/6900xts are amazing cards. Most people don't use raytracing, so there's really no need to only go with nvidia, especially given the price disparity....and the shenanigans they're trying to pull with the 40 series.


    That is unless you need CUDA or something.
    The flaw in your argument is that while you are correct that most people do not use RT, thats because MOST people are buying cards in the 200-300$ range if they can help it.

    The people spending out on a 6900XT are LITERALLY the audience for RT (enthusiasts with a decent budget). And it sucks at it compared to its equivalent nVidia cards.

    This is not to defend nVidia here, their pricing is absolutely absurd for the 4000 series.

    But saying "RT doesn't matter" when we're discussing cards in the price range where it absolutely DOES matter is silly. In the range where it doesn't matter (people spending ~1000$ on their entire PC and therefore buying 250-350$ GPUs) then yeah, it doesn't matter. But entusiasts are going to use it, and enthusiasts are the only people spending out on 700+$ GPUs.

    Also, there's no such thing as 2K (if there was, it would be 1080p, as its the horizontal dimension where the 'rounding' occurs) outside of cinematic resolutions used for films/theaters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •