Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    No. The Tauren are Horde through and through.
    Based on what? A personal oath from a dead leader to Thrall, who's no longer in charge.

    They've been either ignored or used as cannon fodder by the Horde the entirety of WoW, and their beliefs about nature have been repeatedly violated by the Forsaken and goblins. Their leader was imprisoned and threatened by his supposed allies.

    There's no real reason for them to be loyal, because the Horde definitely isn't loyal to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

  2. #62
    It was time like 4 expansions ago.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Perhaps that's how the story has devolved into. But there should be a line that they wouldn't want to cross.
    "For the Horde" becomes meaningless when it means Tauren are just the collective bitch, lower than goblins.
    I agree that Baine kind of ruined their reputation. They need a stronger leader. But, that doesn't mean they should be Kaldorei-aligned. The Horde's core are Orcs, Trolls and Tauren. The others are supplementary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Based on what? A personal oath from a dead leader to Thrall, who's no longer in charge.

    They've been either ignored or used as cannon fodder by the Horde the entirety of WoW, and their beliefs about nature have been repeatedly violated by the Forsaken and goblins. Their leader was imprisoned and threatened by his supposed allies.

    There's no real reason for them to be loyal, because the Horde definitely isn't loyal to them.
    The Forsaken should leave before Tauren do. The Horde is primarily a tribal faction.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    The Horde is primarily a tribal faction.
    Is... or was?

    Good chance that Blood Elves + Forsaken + Goblins + Nightborne together now outnumber the actual tribal parts of Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Is... or was?

    Good chance that Blood Elves + Forsaken + Goblins + Nightborne together now outnumber the actual tribal parts of Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren.
    In the case of trolls, the core concept is no longer so prevalent, there are far fewer Darkspear trolls than their Zandalar counterparts. And Zandalar is a kingdom, not a tribe.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    In the case of trolls, the core concept is no longer so prevalent, there are far fewer Darkspear trolls than their Zandalar counterparts. And Zandalar is a kingdom, not a tribe.
    Yes of course, I guess those need to be counted with the non-tribals, too.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    I agree that Baine kind of ruined their reputation. They need a stronger leader. But, that doesn't mean they should be Kaldorei-aligned. The Horde's core are Orcs, Trolls and Tauren. The others are supplementary.
    Currently. My rewrite replaces Tauren with Ogres. (Their history with Colossi, which will be the basis for their belief structure is a wip)

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Is... or was?

    Good chance that Blood Elves + Forsaken + Goblins + Nightborne together now outnumber the actual tribal parts of Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren.
    Yes, but they're not the core of it. Remember, Forsaken and Blood elves started out as neutral to the Horde. The Blood elves almost left it for the Alliance, the Forsaken betrayed them twice and the Goblins will sell their own kin for the right amount of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    In the case of trolls, the core concept is no longer so prevalent, there are far fewer Darkspear trolls than their Zandalar counterparts. And Zandalar is a kingdom, not a tribe.
    With primitive rituals.

  9. #69
    I don't think it's time to scrap them, however I do think allowing any race to be any faction could open some interesting opportunities

  10. #70
    Still haven't gotten a good answer why the Tauren should stay Horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    With primitive rituals.
    Yes, but you pointed to the tribal faction, not the primitive rituals. The two are not necessarily related.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by richardhuntr View Post
    I don't think it's time to scrap them, however I do think allowing any race to be any faction could open some interesting opportunities
    Yes, for example, a third faction. Of course, due to game technical reasons, dungeons, Raids, AH can be cross factions. This is what the developers are moving towards.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    Yes, but you pointed to the tribal faction, not the primitive rituals. The two are not necessarily related.
    You know what i meant. The less civillized faction.

  13. #73
    The word "civilized" can be pretty dodgy. Perhaps "refinement" would be better? Compare the stereotypical Sin'dorei with a stereotypical Troll.

  14. #74
    The writers and the developers obviously don't know what to do with the factions. Most of them haven't played the original Warcraft games, nor show to have any understanding on what the factions were meant to be or what should be adjusted in terms of gameplay to fix the massive population imbalance. At this point it's better to just drop the idea of faction division and just pool the players together... Which seems to be what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    The writers and the developers obviously don't know what to do with the factions. Most of them haven't played the original Warcraft games, nor show to have any understanding on what the factions were meant to be or what should be adjusted in terms of gameplay to fix the massive population imbalance. At this point it's better to just drop the idea of faction division and just pool the players together... Which seems to be what they are doing.
    Well people who played the original warcraft games would realize that the factions of Warcraft 3 do not exist in WoW because the Kaldorei, Blood Elves and Forsaken were all squeezed into the Alliance and Horde respectively when they used to be their own factions. And much of the tension and problems in the story created at both sides are largely because of that. So it has far less to do with the current writers not knowing the lore and far more to do with the creators of the game making poor decisions about faction composition back at release and in TBC. Ofc the Horde will lose its original identity when they keep stuffing it with races that have nothing in common with the original ones.

    If they had to have an Alliance elf, High Elves existed. The three I mention above could all have been their own factions. If Kaldorei had been a faction, they could have had an exclusive druid class (like paladin and shaman should have stayed exclusive to Alliance and Horde) and then tauren culture would not have had to be reshaped from nomadic shaman warriors to flower picking cow people.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-12 at 08:05 AM.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Still haven't gotten a good answer why the Tauren should stay Horde.
    They're original founding members of the current Durotar-based Horde (along with orcs and Darkspear trolls), and were literally saved from extinction by Thrall's New Horde during the events of Reign of Chaos. Not to mention they share the core concept of honour with the orcs (stated by Cairne and Baine multiple times throughout the history of wow). Sylvanas certainly didn't treat them well, but with her out of the picture and Thrall reinstated as the leader of the orcs I don't see the tauren leaving anytime soon.

  17. #77
    I am Murloc! Maljinwo's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    With primitive rituals.
    Imagine calling the Zandalari 'primitive'
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo94 View Post
    One bad expansion that barely anybody played because most people thought it was trash dosent crush decades worth of RTS and great WoW xpacs that have all cemented the idea that in the Warcraft universe there is horde, and there is alliance. [...]
    What makes warcraft, warcraft. Its the alliance, versus the horde.
    You claim to be a big WC RTS fan, yet you're harping about a conflict that took center stage in only one of the three RTS games. There was no Alliance in WC1. WC2 was Horde vs Alliance. WC3 had some Horde vs Alliance in the tutorial and then that was dropped to focus on all the other stories, with the orc campaign pointing out (in the two missions where they actually fought) that it was versus the "human expedition" (the game itself doesn't refer to Jaina's survivors as Alliance forces once in that campaign). Furthermore, the Alliance campaign doesn't once deal with the Horde, focusing on rebel orc offshoots in the two missions where orcs make any appearance.

    Now if you were to say orcs vs humans was a cornerstone of the RTS, I'd agree with you (even if the main orc vs human story in WC3 was tacked on to the end of the expansion). But while I think it works in an RTS perspective, where the player takes on some pre-selected commander persona or is completely absent from the narrative, it doesn't work as well in an MMO where we're playing the individual characters with their own goals and ambitions that have more frequently diverged from said factions (e.g. Covenants and Order Halls, though even Tirion's tournament or Vol'jin's anti-Zandalari assault attempted to pull characters away from faction conflict to deal with other threats). And that ongoing orc vs human conflict feels even further removed when the player base is largely not even of those races (the last census data that I could find put human/orc at about 20% of the character population). While I agree that keeping some of that old RTS flavor is good, Warcraft has only briefly been strictly an Alliance vs Horde situation, and we need not bind our characters to such institutions when exploring the game's mechanics or narrative arcs. After all, you're the one who claimed that the last expansion heavily tied to the faction identities was considered "trash" by most people.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Imagine calling the Zandalari 'primitive'
    I'm sorry, blowing dust to summon a voodoo death entity is not exactly the definition of an advanced civilization.

  20. #80
    I am Murloc! Maljinwo's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    I'm sorry, blowing dust to summon a voodoo death entity is not exactly the definition of an advanced civilization.
    In a world where the entity is real?

    I wouldn't call that primitive, it's just using magic
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •