Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No, I don't think so.

But I think guilds should be cross-faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

I would like to see the next faction conflict be set up as more a tournament style --- in a time of peace, they decided to do some type of war games to keep themselves sharp and show who is the stronger of the two.

Would be an interesting take on it, still allow people to fight the other side, but not re-tread the same ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Judging how advanced a society is by its ability to kill and commit violence seems counterintuitive to say the least.
    Military matters have always driven research and technology. Unfortunate but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Military matters have always driven research and technology. Unfortunate but true.
    Yeah, I know. And it's all we know really. I'm trying to think outside the box of a society (in this case, Tauren), pursuing progress for other reasons that don't involve violence. I have a glimmer of an idea that connects the hooved races, but...working on it.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not remove them but some change would be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    NO!, stop the crappy lovecraft BS.
    We dont want Gnomes and other stupid races in Horde cities.

My solution:
    Make lovecraft servers where Alliance and Horde players can go on flowerpicking quests together so that we dont get these discussions anymore.
    And make Warcraft server where we have factions fighting each other and the bigger threat at the same time.
    I advise you to look up Lovecraft before you toss that name around so cavalierly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why don't just scrap the game itself? lol guys

its like saying "is i time to scrap the force from the jedi?"

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I advise you to look up Lovecraft before you toss that name around so cavalierly.
    Little does he know that the later stages of BfA was more or less World of Lovecraft...

Factions should stay, but should be disconnected from races. And PvE content.
    Basically you choose to join a faction, disregarding race.
    Every faction conflict is only between these two institutions if somethings comes up.
    If you want to praticipate -> PvP
    Open World quests are the same for everyone, except maybe a few main story quests where you have to get help from your faction and you could also add PvP quetlines with lore.

Basically it should be an aestethic choice. I play horde. But i am SICK of orcs and Orgrimmar.

Can't be done just like that. But i could transition into ot over 2-3 expansions or after a timeskip.

Most other factions are friendly with both major faction.

Also this could give us more variety in the races themselves. DIfferent aligned humans. Orcs that think about something else than killing everything. Tauren who are a bit more aggressive. Humans who do not like the strict nature of stormwind. Nightelves who don't care about nature. Bloodelves who do etc. pp.

Tentacles...a fashion trend easily forgotten.
    Or so we thought.

I think a third "independent" faction as a choice at 10th level should be viable.

The Horde? Yes. As with all barbarian throngs, it's too unstable and vicious to be kept around.

The Alliance? No. Why would it? It's an alliance of civilized states, all these civilized states benefit from being allied to one another. Just think of how close some of these allies are as well, with Stormwind and Ironforge literally linked by a subterranean transport network that spans the continent.

It would be logical if the Horde collapsed. It would be illogical if the Alliance collapsed.

Sort of. I think the inherent problems with Alliance/Horde include pvp and wpvp being imbalanced since people are playing around factions rather than availability, players being disconnected from each other, and the story ending up being repetitive and divisive. I don't think factions should go away, but I do think the feature should be reevaluated, which does mean putting an end to Alliance and Horde too, which is also a risk.

Similar to how people earlier in this thread suggested factions by ideology or choosing a faction like Light or Void, I'm curious about this direction. Like lets say we have seasonal factions, with a Worgen vs Forsaken themed faction, with Night Elf and Tauren players being able to choose the Worgen faction together, or Human and Blood Elf players choosing the Forsaken side, with incentives to join a less balanced faction, creating wpvp events based on these factions, and also having an end to make way for another pvp faction. This is just a mere idea to address PVP, player connectivity, and story issues that Horde vs Alliance currently pose. Best case scenario, wpvp has a foundation, worst case scenario we'll get a New World style faction imbalance situation.

Why do we still need a faction? Tauren have a different worldview than orcs. Shamanistic in the roots of the two races, but the orcs have always represented themselves as aggressors in the conflicts of the latter complements, not only destroying the other race, but bringing with them the destruction of the earth and nature.
    The night elves also had to solve their problems themselves, they could not rely on their allies other than the worgen.
    Each race should have sovereignty, with national borders, etc. and on top of that, make logically acceptable commercial and other agreements.
    With this, developers should focus on races, not factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The Horde? Yes. As with all barbarian throngs, it's too unstable and vicious to be kept around.

The Alliance? No. Why would it? It's an alliance of civilized states, all these civilized states benefit from being allied to one another. Just think of how close some of these allies are as well, with Stormwind and Ironforge literally linked by a subterranean transport network that spans the continent.

It would be logical if the Horde collapsed. It would be illogical if the Alliance collapsed.
    Weird thing to say when the Nightborne are literally highly civilised night elves. You'll be hard pressed to find a race more civilised than the blood elves in the Alliance as well, other than their void-corrupted cousins and maybe the space goats. Heck, goblins are basically modern day humans minus the stature and skin colour. Whether modern day humans are actually civilised can be up for debate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Little does he know that the later stages of BfA was more or less World of Lovecraft...
    corruption would have been hella fun if they had used them the whole expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo94 View Post
    Did you play the RTS games before that? Mid WoTLK still puts you in classic territory, but again, for me, basically all my perception of what Warcraft is, comes from the first 3 RTS games.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah ok, and I understand that what you're saying is that narratively in the whole scope of the entire franchise, most of the stories arent about Alliance/horde fighting, they're about other things like the legion, lich king, etc etc.

But my point is that all things stories/themes are not equal. As I said, you could probably do this for any franchise, if you read the books, or analyse the stories, you find greater meaning in them or different meaning all together, but to the casual player/viewer, or casual fan who consumes the content without thinking too deep, the themes mean a lot different.

I played WC1, 2, and 3, 1 and 3 being the most played. I literally remember the first ever mission I did on WC1, orcs vs humans. In WC3 I completed the story multiple times but yet I dont remember half of it in detail anymore. I did complete it though, and loved it, and I did the frozen throne too multiple times. But I spent a ton of time doing skirmishes and custom games. And the point being, the WC3 story can be about XYZ, but to a lot of Warcraft fans, you can write a story about XYZ, but its still about the different factions, humans, orcs, night elves, undead etc etc. Because that is like the base line theme of the entire franchise. You can build stories ontop of that, or outside those themes, but to lots of old school WC fans, you cant just remove that. I hope that makes sense. Again, I totally get MOST of the stories/conflicts are not just orcs kill humans, humans kill orcs, and this pillar might not be huge in your mind when you really boil down the entire franchise, but to a lot of people it is, because its not really relevant how big it is under a focused eye, it only matters how it is in peoples minds.

I guarantee you if I ask my 10 buddies to describe Warcraft, they'll start by saying its like the alliance guys vs the horde and then theres also other enemies like the legion and stuff. Even if thats a super crude description of the game, I just know they will, because we're very alike and all grew up through our childhood years playing the RTS in the same way, and because I know first hand what they dont like about the modern xpacs.

How would I change it, I mean thats a very very large question but I can give you a few examples. The second they announced Warfronts, I remember saying in a call, watch them fuck that up, that feature has such awesome potential but watch they'll find a way to make it boring and suck. It ended up being this AFK fest, no skill, where half the time you're cutting trees or mining, then this mindless push to win the game. I did like 2 and then quit, it sucked that bad, complete waste of my time tbh.

They could have made it anywhere from 1-4 players per team, a mini RTS game inside WoW, where you can play against the opposite faction/side AI or against players, where unlike the original RTS games where you have to build your altar to spawn a hero, your hero starts like 30s in, giving you 30s to commence basic choices of how you want to fight, then, you spawn in as your own character. Create mob packs that drop buffs or consumables similar to how you had to level in the RTS, and create menu's that you can pop up from anywhere in the world to do the RTS stuff, eg, spend more gold on more peons, tell your peons what split you want between gold/lumber, use your resources to purchase different buildings that can then spawn different units. Essentially have a bit of fucking ambition and try to make something unique and use your wealth of experience in the RTS genre to make something slightly different. You have the experience, you know half the players love the RTS games/played them, and you can literally continue to make new 'warfront battle locations' with new rewards, different factions, all over the world, for expansion after expansion.

In my opinion, that could have become another staple of the game along with M+, arena, BG, raids. Literally become a commander and partake in strategy style battles. Its similar to BG's but different of course. It could become rated, competitive, an esport, anything. It would sure take some balancing, but I dont see why it would be that much harder to make than what they made which sucked!

Player bases for me isnt something im interested in so it would be unfair for me to comment, I get people want them but I really cant comment on that as Ive never enjoyed base building in any game. World PvP zones yes like wintergrasp, more of that stuff with better rewards, titles, mounts, stuff that genuinely makes it worthwhile to do every now and then.

Theres so much they can do and honestly, If I sat here today im sure I could reel off a ton of ideas of stuff I think would be cool, but yeah, not everything will work, but many things would, and havent been done. Again, for me, that warfront rts style thing would have been a game changer if done properly/well.

Im not interested in this small subplots like aldor vs scryer etc, they're something I quest through with my brain half switched off. Id prefer to see them telling more stories through these RTS style battleground things as I said.

Spaceships and shadowlands - the problem I was describing is that my friends criticism of WoW is that its become too focused at times on content that dosent feel like classic warcraft. We both know that the legion has spaceships and theres all this cosmos stuff, but spending an entire expansion in afterlife land really disconnects you from the warcraft feel, I agree with him personally. The SL zones were super fucking cool as always with wow zones, like revendreth, but it literally feels like I could be playing any other MMO at that point.

Not really because once you're in shadowlands you're bombarded with only shadowlands themes, it feels like the horde/alliance barely exists at that point.
    I played Warcraft 3, all campaigns and then some mods and etc. So dont wave the “you are not a true fan” at me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Why don't just scrap the game itself? lol guys

its like saying "is i time to scrap the force from the jedi?"
    Wrong analogy. Faction conflict never “worked” in WoW. Every time Blizz focus on it they fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Weird thing to say when the Nightborne are literally highly civilised night elves. You'll be hard pressed to find a race more civilised than the blood elves in the Alliance as well, other than their void-corrupted cousins and maybe the space goats. Heck, goblins are basically modern day humans minus the stature and skin colour. Whether modern day humans are actually civilised can be up for debate though.
    "Maybe" the Draenei? I'd say that a literal sci-fi, futuristic themed civilizations with actual spaceships is more advanced than a generic high fantasy elven kingdom.

The elves are the small minority of the Horde. The bulk of the Horde is comprised of barbarians living in filthy huts.

This has always been the aesthetic of the Horde. The name itself, "Horde", was used by Rome, the pinnacle of ancient civilization, to refer to the savages and barbarians beyond their borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    "Maybe" the Draenei? I'd say that a literal sci-fi, futuristic themed civilizations with actual spaceships is more advanced than a generic high fantasy elven kingdom.

The elves are the small minority of the Horde. The bulk of the Horde is comprised of barbarians living in filthy huts.

This has always been the aesthetic of the Horde. The name itself, "Horde", was used by Rome, the pinnacle of ancient civilization, to refer to the savages and barbarians beyond their borders.
    Technologically speaking yes, definitely, the eredar-derived races are miles ahead of anyone save the titanforged. Their political system shown on Argus references ancient Greek/early Roman society though, which one may argue is a step behind the centralised monarchy of elven and human kingdoms.

There is ONE race among the Horde that live in huts - the Darkspear trolls. Zandalari PCs even have a /silly that pokes fun of that fact. Orgrimmar looks nothing like a hut, the Undercity is Scourge (or Nerubian) architecture, Zuldazar is a 'city of gold' built around titan relics, etc.

Also worth noting that the orcish Horde in the Warcraft franchise is likely inspired by the Mongols, with the RTS orcs having a Mongol+Japanese flavour to them. The 13th century Mongols were no less advanced than 13th century Europeans - they're quite likely to have introduced gunpowder to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    I played Warcraft 3, all campaigns and then some mods and etc. So dont wave the “you are not a true fan” at me.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong analogy. Faction conflict never “worked” in WoW. Every time Blizz focus on it they fuck up.
    Ok interesting. I wasnt waving the true fan thing at you at all, you're extremely defensive and emotional about that topic so I have no doubt that you're a real fan of the franchise. What I was simply trying to understand is what and when did you play the different Warcraft games because that might explain why we have a difference of opinion, which we clearly do.

I view the game largely as faction tension with other major stories tacked on, eg lich king. You obviously view it the other way around and thats fine.

Also to reply to your wrong analogy thing, I think its absolutely the right analogy. The whole light/dark side thing was a complete disaster in the most recent trilogy, and the prequels were extremely hit and miss, the only truly successful light/dark side movies in the global SW communities eyes are the original trilogy. The best SW movie of the past few years for me is actually Rogue One, which has nothing to do with the force. So yeah, you can easily make an analogy that the faction conflict worked in previous games, but as you said, never in WoW. Equally I can say that the dark/light side force thing worked in the prequels, but never really since. Its absolutely a correct analogy and the more you continue to view this faction war through your own lens, the less you are going to be able to understand that many people like me, and the guy you replied to, view the faction war as much a pillar of Warcraft as the force is to the star wars franchise, regardless or not of whether they fuck it up over and over which is true of both franchises.
    Last edited by Hambo94; 2022-09-14 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    NO!, stop the crappy lovecraft BS.
    We dont want Gnomes and other stupid races in Horde cities.

My solution:
    Make lovecraft servers where Alliance and Horde players can go on flowerpicking quests together so that we dont get these discussions anymore.
    And make Warcraft server where we have factions fighting each other and the bigger threat at the same time.
    Doesn't really matter what you think. Factions ARE getting removed. You are getting cross faction guilds, its 100% confirmed by Ion.
    And really? Thank fucking fuck for that... Try playing alliance for a month and you'll be the number one champion to champion this cause, trust me.