Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why did Blizzard abandon Scenario's (3 man scenario's)

They were perfect for telling story of a specific zone or town. They were used for alot of places in MoP and it was pretty well received during it's lifespan.
    So why did they quit doing this? It required no tank/heal most of the times, you had fast queue's, the run itself was alot faster then dungeons and you could still get some rewards from it. They were perfectly made really.

So why not just re-introduce it for leveling and endgame?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There were actually rebranded and woven into the leveling experience. Sometimes you phase out into a short scenario while questing in SL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    There were actually rebranded and woven into the leveling experience. Sometimes you phase out into a short scenario while questing in SL
    it is not the same though, MoP scenario's had a whole different feeling to it. I just assumed those were more "special" quests but i never felt i did some scenario. Now thinking back it does remind me of them, but it is not what i ment.

Those are a once in a lifetime experience if you quest, they should be queue-able and farmable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    They were perfect for telling story of a specific zone or town. They were used for alot of places in MoP and it was pretty well received during it's lifespan.
    So why did they quit doing this? It required no tank/heal most of the times, you had fast queue's, the run itself was alot faster then dungeons and you could still get some rewards from it. They were perfectly made really.

It was their attempt to solve lack of healers/tanks, created by way too hardcore dungeons in Cata. It failed. Nobody liked it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    It was their attempt to solve lack of healers/tanks, created by way too hardcore dungeons in Cata. It failed. Nobody liked it.
    How did it fail? Everyone back in the days at MoP loved it.

"Everyone" you know may have loved it, but they were broadly unpopular. That may be due to being poorly rewarded, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post

Per usual, you make a claim that the consensus on something was one way when it wasn’t. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I'd say their reception was better than Torghast, but in general i'd say people generally ranged from neutral to hating it.

Effectively blizz keeps iterating on the idea. Like Torghast, islands, the shadowy realm thing in bfa, garrison invasions.

How did it fail? Everyone back in the days at MoP loved it.
    Scenarios were some of my favorite content ever added to the game, but I recognize that there was incessant bitching about them during MoP from the usual crowd. You know, the raiders and PvPers that felt they were "forced" to do something they didn't want to do so there can never be content for anyone else other than them. This attitude is reaching a new zenith with Dragonflight, wherein there is nothing new to keep you occupied other than raiding/m+/rated PvP. It's going to be the instance-oriented player's dream of never having to interact with the world of the game at all.

Though I enjoyed MoP, my memory of it is pretty foggy, so I can't remember much about scenarios. Was there any particular reason to do them instead of dungeons aside from queues being quite fast due to not necessarily requiring a tank or healer? I don't remember there being, which is probably why I don't remember scenarios that fondly, lol.

It's not as though the concept was completely abandoned, though. As said, instanced quests are more or less the spiritual successor to scenarios, and the bones of the concept have been found in stuff after MoP, too. Island Expeditions, for example. Torghast, too, although going solo for that was optional, three-manning it was possible.

Maybe Blizzard just decided that it was time to remove them, since they were useless, and Blizzard destroyed (or never provided) any reason for 99% of the playerbase to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Scenarios were some of my favorite content ever added to the game, but I recognize that there was incessant bitching about them during MoP from the usual crowd. You know, the raiders and PvPers that felt they were "forced" to do something they didn't want to do so there can never be content for anyone else other than them. This attitude is reaching a new zenith with Dragonflight, wherein there is nothing new to keep you occupied other than raiding/m+/rated PvP. It's going to be the instance-oriented player's dream of never having to interact with the world of the game at all.
    Urgh, why do they always cave to those....

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Though I enjoyed MoP, my memory of it is pretty foggy, so I can't remember much about scenarios. Was there any particular reason to do them instead of dungeons aside from queues being quite fast due to not necessarily requiring a tank or healer? I don't remember there being, which is probably why I don't remember scenarios that fondly, lol.
    If I remember correctly they gave a few charms that were used to acquire re-roll tokens and a smattering of Valor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    MoP Scenarios didn't create much broad appeal in the playerbase. Certain cross-sections of players liked them, but on the overall level, they weren't well received. Complaints ranged from being overturned, undertuned, not rewarding enough, or just not entertaining. I personally liked them, but you and I would seem to be in an effective minority that did. Some quests post-MoP leverage the Scenario design still, especially for climactic zone-closing quests, but they're relatively few and far between and remain part of the leveling experience. I think the tech could be refined to create some great content, but it seems unlikely.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I disliked them. It was more of an effect of vengeance which meant I was more of a liability as a tank, since I was not taking enough damage to deal as much damage as a dps. And healers were dead weight, moreso than tanks. Either way, I did the 100 for achi and then stopped.
    I think the appeal was mostly a fast source of VP with short queues. You could gain VP from raids, dungeons or these.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2022-09-07 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I disliked them. It was more of an effect of vengeance which meant I was more of a liability as a tank, since I was not taking enough damage to deal as much damage as a dps. And healers were dead weight, moreso than tanks. Either way, I did the 100 for achi and then stopped.
    I think the appeal was mostly a fast source of VP with short queues. You could gain VP from raids, dungeons or these.
    Yeah effectively the problem with all 'tank/healerless content' is that people who like tanking and healing don't end up liking it.

As far as I remember, it wasn't as "repeatable" as for example dungeons due to the lack of similar rewards, and usually more story scripted into them. Many players did them a few times to get stuff they wanted, moved on and never looked back. Though I could definitely see the appeal of small player group content without the need for tank / healer with scaling difficulty and rewards. Almost impossible to balance, though, to adjust for sometimes tanks and / or healers being in them as well.

People didn't like they and said they were a waste of time.

Thought they were great (and the people I played with) but noticed they had a decline when they took out the random mobs drops (greens and some times blues) and general vendor trash, people whined they felt the need to loot them.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Per usual, you make a claim that the consensus on something was one way when it wasn’t. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Sheesh, calm down. Sure he's a little hyperbolic here, but still generally correct. The rewards were lackluster and the repeatability was suuuuper low. They've iterated on similar, small group content over the years still trying to nail it. Ultimately, Blizzard must have seen data to suggest to move on. From my experience, albeit anecdotal, the 50-60 players I played regularly with largely didn't care for it.

I'm presuming, correct me if I'm wrong, that you think they were a success. You actually seem to claim direct opposition and almost propose just as ardently that they were a great addition to the game. Why do you think they only existed for half of one xpac?
    Last edited by SirReal; 2022-09-07 at 05:30 PM.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    If I remember correctly they gave a few charms that were used to acquire re-roll tokens and a smattering of Valor.
    I distinctly remember the heroic scenarios having a chance to drop pretty decent epic gear, but I can't remember how rare they were to get or if it was only for your first heroic scenario of the day