Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    The roll eyes emote didn't let you know I was being sarcastic??
    You could do nothing to help them but I find it very hilarious you think you could.
    Only argument you have is "but muh, google", like it even has a correlation?
    google handle much much more users than blizzard. the correct type of architecture to handle a lot of users is to balance the load on multiple servers in particular thanks to database clustering. if they've added more servers and cannot properly use those servers to increase capacity, with the kind of userbase they have, then they're doing something wrong. I don't know if they tried to ask for help on stackoverflow, if not maybe they shall try that.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    google handle much much more users than blizzard. the correct type of architecture to handle a lot of users is to balance the load on multiple servers in particular thanks to database clustering. if they've added more servers and cannot properly use those servers to increase capacity, with the kind of userbase they have, then they're doing something wrong. I don't know if they tried to ask for help on stackoverflow, if not maybe they shall try that.
    So here is a prime example off you letting us know you're an armchair dev who show you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, google and blizzard doesn't exactly do the same things. But lets pretend they did.
    Your version off more "servers" would end up in more realms. Which they are doing but they and we all know its a bad solution, long term.
    They can't just add more servers to keep expanding the megaservers, that technology does not exist. They have reached that cap.

    Here is another fitting quote, to show you really don't know what you're talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if one account equals one connection then there is no real limitations.
    Do you really think it's that simple? Just a login? That the entire thing that happens? You also log straight into the server itself dont you?

    A blue post about the same topic.
    "Realm capacity is dictated by the total number of connections that the service itself can handle. Every time a player connects to a realm, that connection interacts with numerous services, systems, and adds to the total load on the persistent database that the entire game relies upon to fetch data related to players, spells, quests, creatures, Auctions, etc. When that total number of connections to a realm’s DB and services reaches a certain number, the service will degrade or fail on multiple levels, leading to symptoms like severe Auction House lag or outages, Chat performance degradation, or lag when attempting to loot items. Never in wow’s history had the capacity of realms been as high as they are now, and even with our modern capacity we can still sometimes experience performance degradation when the realms are full and DB load is at its peak."

    But sure, you keep believing you know better AND that blizzard should call you for free help in solving this issue... please...

  3. #43
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    So here is a prime example off you letting us know you're an armchair dev who show you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, google and blizzard doesn't exactly do the same things. But lets pretend they did.
    Your version off more "servers" would end up in more realms. Which they are doing but they and we all know its a bad solution, long term.
    They can't just add more servers to keep expanding the megaservers, that technology does not exist. They have reached that cap.

    Here is another fitting quote, to show you really don't know what you're talking about

    Do you really think it's that simple? Just a login? That the entire thing that happens? You also log straight into the server itself dont you?

    A blue post about the same topic.
    "Realm capacity is dictated by the total number of connections that the service itself can handle. Every time a player connects to a realm, that connection interacts with numerous services, systems, and adds to the total load on the persistent database that the entire game relies upon to fetch data related to players, spells, quests, creatures, Auctions, etc. When that total number of connections to a realm’s DB and services reaches a certain number, the service will degrade or fail on multiple levels, leading to symptoms like severe Auction House lag or outages, Chat performance degradation, or lag when attempting to loot items. Never in wow’s history had the capacity of realms been as high as they are now, and even with our modern capacity we can still sometimes experience performance degradation when the realms are full and DB load is at its peak."

    But sure, you keep believing you know better AND that blizzard should call you for free help in solving this issue... please...
    I never talked about more realms. I said that they can handle the load with existing technology. an architecture shall be designed to tend toward simplicity. do not say that large structures are doing things the most efficient way just because they're large. on the opposite, it's because they're large that it's hard to build a simple system. it's hard to build a simple system. large structures often rely on overly complex architecture and they produce a lot of bloatware and tend to reinvent the wheel very often. look at the current state of web browsing and backend technology used. frameworks everywhere, and it became trendy apparently to generate as many lines of codes as you could.
    you believe what blizzard say and I'll sum everything up by: I just don't believe them...
    Last edited by Cæli; 2022-09-09 at 04:24 AM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I never talked about more realms. I said that they can handle the load with existing technology. an architecture shall be designed to tend toward simplicity. do not say that large structures are doing things the most efficient way just because they're large. on the opposite, it's because they're large that it's hard to build a simple system. it's hard to build a simple system. large structures often rely on overly complex architecture and they produce a lot of bloatware and tend to reinvent the wheel very often. look at the current state of web browsing and backend technology used. frameworks everywhere, and it became trendy apparently to generate as many lines of codes as you could.
    you believe what blizzard say and I'll sum everything up by: I just don't believe them...
    To even accomplish what you think they can do would require basically rebuilding and reprogramming their server architecture and code from the ground up,

    Like might as well make WoW2 at that point and it still probably wouldn't be enough. You are vastly underestimating the strain the servers are under (and not just the game servers mind you, its all interconnected with account and login servers too) and vastly overestimating the capability of the cloud.

    And you're forgetting diminishing returns, at some point the amount of effort, time and money required isn't worth it. These queues will go away in a few months, just like they do with every expansion.

    You remind me of the folks I deal with at work when I tell them repairing a fiber cut takes hours. They refuse to believe it can't go any faster, just like you refuse to believe that Blizzard has done all they can.

    I mean do you play any other MMOs at all? This is... it happens at every MMO launch. Like clockwork. Server and login issues. Have you stopped to consider that there's something inherent to the nature of this genre wherein the servers can only handle so many players?

    For that matter even google and amazon's servers have an upper limit. Didn't Amazon have an MMO with massive queue times despite their so-called amazing server tech? Makes you think doesn't it.

  5. #45
    People transfer to realms that are 5 times bigger then others and somehow think there will be no extreme queues?

  6. #46
    Brewmaster Skylarking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Centrelink
    Posts
    1,281
    Most people wouldn't complain about moving off mega servers if we had rdf, just saying blizz

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    "Mega servers" are the 1 or 2 two servers everyone tries to pile on because in a month 99% of the realms will be dead as seen by classic and tbc classic, making doing literally anything impossible.

    It's either don't play now and have a good server later or play now and don't play later. This would all be solved with dungeon finder and cross realm but classic idiots would kill themselves cuz "muh identity" or whatever garbage they spew.
    dont cut yourself on that edge kid.

    are you still believing blizzard that "some people didnt wanted lfd"?
    Everybody and their mom wanted lfd.
    even back then people wanted "changes".
    yes, some scumbags from pservers like esfand and tips went full tryhard "nochange" but most people wanted it.
    also: more people raidloged for tbc than retail, go figure what that means.
    hint: more people play classic than retail.

  8. #48
    I play on Gehenas EU, one of the megaservers with issue and i can tell you the real problem isnt the queues, those were kinda expected.

    The issue is that even with long queues once you enter the server just isnt responsive. Anything that has to do with databases like AH, items in your inventory, looting a mob etc has been completly screwed.

    Just for you to have a notion, if i try so split a stack of something in 2 in my inventory at peak time i might aswell go for a coffee while it finished.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I never talked about more realms. I said that they can handle the load with existing technology. an architecture shall be designed to tend toward simplicity. do not say that large structures are doing things the most efficient way just because they're large. on the opposite, it's because they're large that it's hard to build a simple system. it's hard to build a simple system. large structures often rely on overly complex architecture and they produce a lot of bloatware and tend to reinvent the wheel very often. look at the current state of web browsing and backend technology used. frameworks everywhere, and it became trendy apparently to generate as many lines of codes as you could.
    you believe what blizzard say and I'll sum everything up by: I just don't believe them...
    Yes, you know exactly NOTHING about this topic and you show it time and time again. Quite impressive actually.
    Comparing a simple web query to gaming. What a clueless person you are.
    You are wrong in everything you say

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    I play on Gehenas EU, one of the megaservers with issue and i can tell you the real problem isnt the queues, those were kinda expected.

    The issue is that even with long queues once you enter the server just isnt responsive. Anything that has to do with databases like AH, items in your inventory, looting a mob etc has been completly screwed.

    Just for you to have a notion, if i try so split a stack of something in 2 in my inventory at peak time i might aswell go for a coffee while it finished.
    Its cascading errors, just as they describe in the post itself...
    Did none of you bother to actually read it?? They explained it perfectly fine.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Friend played on Westfall up till quitting in july, sure its healthy if you played Alliance, was not so much if you played horde. (They need to post the faction balance, some people might be in a nasty surprise thinking they are transferring to a healthy server to find out its only for the opposite faction).
    Why the fuck would anyone going Horde pick a PvE realm titled "Westfall" lmfao

  11. #51
    Blizzard should give realms random 7digit numbers instead of names and a lot less people would cling to their server like ivy to a wall.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinured View Post
    are you still believing blizzard that "some people didnt wanted lfd"?
    Everybody and their mom wanted lfd.
    even back then people wanted "changes".
    yes, some scumbags from pservers like esfand and tips went full tryhard "nochange" but most people wanted it.
    also: more people raidloged for tbc than retail, go figure what that means.
    hint: more people play classic than retail.
    Blizzard disagrees with you and has the data to back up their position that people didn't want lfd. . What proof do you have that everyone wanted lfd?

  13. #53
    They should be offering, up front, free transfers back when the the server you move to dies. In fact I think you should get a server transfer every month for free with your sub. It’s a 100% automated process, limit the gold you can move, and let people move 1 character a month.

  14. #54
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Blizzard disagrees with you and has the data to back up their position that people didn't want lfd. . What proof do you have that everyone wanted lfd?
    What data? I was never asked, and my friends were not asked, majority I play with were never asked and all want LFD. They might have data, but not all of it.

  15. #55
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    google handle much much more users than blizzard. the correct type of architecture to handle a lot of users is to balance the load on multiple servers in particular thanks to database clustering. if they've added more servers and cannot properly use those servers to increase capacity, with the kind of userbase they have, then they're doing something wrong. I don't know if they tried to ask for help on stackoverflow, if not maybe they shall try that.
    Blizzard doesn't host their own servers anymore, at least not all of them. If you trace the TCP connections, it points back to Google Cloud and AWS for retail sharded zones.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't actively play classic so I haven't performed a TCP connection trace on any classic servers/instances.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Blizzard should give realms random 7digit numbers instead of names and a lot less people would cling to their server like ivy to a wall.
    Realms on retail are basically that, your server is just where you instance from with modifiers being warmode and group leaders.

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Yes, you know exactly NOTHING about this topic and you show it time and time again. Quite impressive actually.
    Comparing a simple web query to gaming. What a clueless person you are.
    You are wrong in everything you say
    an online game has a lot in common with web services. to be able to say that I know "nothing", you need to know what you're talking about, so that you can identify if what I say is right or wrong. are you just parroting or do you have actual technical insight to share? I'm curious to see.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    To even accomplish what you think they can do would require basically rebuilding and reprogramming their server architecture and code from the ground up,

    Like might as well make WoW2 at that point and it still probably wouldn't be enough. You are vastly underestimating the strain the servers are under (and not just the game servers mind you, its all interconnected with account and login servers too) and vastly overestimating the capability of the cloud.

    And you're forgetting diminishing returns, at some point the amount of effort, time and money required isn't worth it. These queues will go away in a few months, just like they do with every expansion.

    You remind me of the folks I deal with at work when I tell them repairing a fiber cut takes hours. They refuse to believe it can't go any faster, just like you refuse to believe that Blizzard has done all they can.

    I mean do you play any other MMOs at all? This is... it happens at every MMO launch. Like clockwork. Server and login issues. Have you stopped to consider that there's something inherent to the nature of this genre wherein the servers can only handle so many players?

    For that matter even google and amazon's servers have an upper limit. Didn't Amazon have an MMO with massive queue times despite their so-called amazing server tech? Makes you think doesn't it.
    not being able to rewrite their server code isn't the same thing as saying "there is no technology solution for this". your examples probably are real because of budget decisions, because they probably determined that it's not worth it for them, that doesn't mean there is no technology solution for this.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    What data? I was never asked, and my friends were not asked, majority I play with were never asked and all want LFD. They might have data, but not all of it.
    You made the claim that everyone wanted LFD. I am asking you to back that up with data. Blizzard has data to show people don't want it. WHere is your data disputing that? YOu and your couple of buddies wanting it does not = everyone.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You made the claim that everyone wanted LFD. I am asking you to back that up with data. Blizzard has data to show people don't want it. WHere is your data disputing that? YOu and your couple of buddies wanting it does not = everyone.
    just going off the odds how all these other polls went, I'd say Blizzards is lying through their teeth or had a very very very small group of people they asked (their buddy and the one next to them at the time).

    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ts-rdf/1249839

    *in-before they were all rigged and blizzard would never lie to it's player base...
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-09-10 at 02:09 PM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    just going off the odds how all these other polls went, I'd say Blizzards is lying through their teeth or had a very very very small group of people they asked (their buddy and the one next to them at the time).

    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ts-rdf/1249839

    *in-before they were all rigged and blizzard would never lie to it's player base...
    They can't get good classic engagement metrics if everyone can just use LFG when they could spend the time for no reason, padding blizz stats.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    an online game has a lot in common with web services. to be able to say that I know "nothing", you need to know what you're talking about, so that you can identify if what I say is right or wrong. are you just parroting or do you have actual technical insight to share? I'm curious to see.

    - - - Updated - - -



    not being able to rewrite their server code isn't the same thing as saying "there is no technology solution for this". your examples probably are real because of budget decisions, because they probably determined that it's not worth it for them, that doesn't mean there is no technology solution for this.
    You are wrong in exactly everything in your understanding of these topics. You compare apples and oranges and want me to point out what you dont understand lol.
    You're also under the assumption blizzard is lying and you know better with the only argument "but look at google", again, trying to compare apples and oranges.
    Why does pretty much every online game have some form of cap on concurrent players? Or have queues for login? Because the tech exists but they dont want to use that? For "reasons"? jesus christ dude...

  20. #60
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    You are wrong in exactly everything in your understanding of these topics. You compare apples and oranges and want me to point out what you dont understand lol.
    You're also under the assumption blizzard is lying and you know better with the only argument "but look at google", again, trying to compare apples and oranges.
    Why does pretty much every online game have some form of cap on concurrent players? Or have queues for login? Because the tech exists but they dont want to use that? For "reasons"? jesus christ dude...
    because they decided it's not worth it for them, and we're talking about wow which doesn't have dozens of millions of players. but don't change the question. I've asked you to show me some technical insights showing that you know what you're talking about, not parroting what blizzard said and want you to think. so I'm waiting for you to show me that you're competent on the subject.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •