Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I am at work and watching the stream.
    I am at work and I'm not watching the stream, neither is any of my 35 co-workers.

I first said one, I misspelled any
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-09-19 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I am at work and I'm not watching the stream, neither is one of my 35 co-workers.
    Tell the other 34 to turn it off then

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky with the weather. Cant be fun as a honorary guard (or spectators) for hours in either rain or baking heat.
    Pretty much best possible weather.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I am at work and I'm not watching the stream, neither is one of my 35 co-workers.
    u want the spoilers?

queen is still dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Haha, any of my co-workers, I meant

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    u want the spoilers?

queen is still dead
    Damn it, I thought she would rise imbued with dragonfire. Cursed are those lead coffins.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    u want the spoilers?

queen is still dead
    Hehe, wonder how many conspiracy theories that are already brewing in some Americans minds or already on shady internet forums that it’s all an elaborate hoax and that she’s presently a Jewish zombie queen about to take over the world(ie. US).
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really doubt that more than half the world's population will see it. Most of the western world is at work. Then there are parts of the world with very limited access to TV or internet.
    Seems like a patriotic exaggeration to me. No doubt billions will see it but not as much as the moonlanding, the inauguration of Obama and Live Aid combined.
    Considering smart devices exist, and the Commonwealth largely has the day off, it's not entirely that unrealistic to assume.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Considering smart devices exist, and the Commonwealth largely has the day off, it's not entirely that unrealistic to assume.
    The Commonwealth has a combined population of under two and a half billion even if you include countries that don't have a favorable attitude towards the British monarchy.

So no, the number of people tuning in approaching half the population of the planet is only a realistic assumption if you're including the people memeing about the capitalized 'Among Us' in the eulogy closed captions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diana's funeral in '97 drew a global audience of 2.5 billion and there's a fair argument that the Queen, and circumstances surrounding the Royal Family currently, has a significantly larger appeal.

Add to that the means and ways of being able to watch events has greatly increased in the 25 years since.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to say how many people watched globally, but over here, in a pretty much royals approving country, 1.7 million viewers watched it yesterday, also counted the ones who took a glimpse, that's under 10%. A women's football match gets double those figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Diana's funeral in '97 drew a global audience of 2.5 billion and there's a fair argument that the Queen, and circumstances surrounding the Royal Family currently, has a significantly larger appeal.

Add to that the means and ways of being able to watch events has greatly increased in the 25 years since.
    I believe the figure was for people who would watch at least a part of the funeral seeing that no doubt at least some footage would be played on news programs the world over it is not that much of a stretch to believe that 4billion estimate is somewhat accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I believe the figure was for people who would watch at least a part of the funeral seeing that no doubt at least some footage would be played on news programs the world over it is not that much of a stretch to believe that 4billion estimate is somewhat accurate.
    Plus, Commonwealth citizens are far more likely than most to tune in. And that's 2.5 billion people. We all lost our head of state.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-09-20 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Plus, Commonwealth citizens are far more likely than most to tune in. And that's 2.5 billion people. We all lost our head of state.
    But not all of those 2.5 billion have an affection for the royals. I mean the lion's share off those 2.5 billion are from India. While I'm not sure, I don't think most of them are positive of most things English.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-09-20 at 05:54 PM.

To add to the viewing figures debate I've just seen this - https://fullfact.org/news/Queen-fune...ewing-figures/ - from Fullfact.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's telling how many people simply watch things on media other than television. Sky News had a combination of 42 million views through its website, Youtube, Twitter and Tiktok streams.

That's significantly more than the BBC had on their terrestrial tv channels (20 million but doesn't count iPlayer viewing figures)

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    To add to the viewing figures debate I've just seen this - https://fullfact.org/news/Queen-fune...ewing-figures/ - from Fullfact.
    Hmm.. if the source is "a website which provides information on how to watch various popular TV programmes in different countries" that could explain why the numbers might be inflated.

And how do people even define the numbers 'watching the funeral'?

People watching the entire thing (in that case I doubt that the billion-number figure is accurate) as if it were an actual movie, people watching even a small part of it live, or anyone watching any part of if at any point in time?

Added: It also seems like a weird competition.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2022-09-21 at 09:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you guys watch that CNN interview with royal expert Hilary Fordwich? (First min)

---

I thought that was funny how she just rejected the royal/UK haters and then turned the tables on Don Lemon.

Also I heard that Megan Markle asked to talk to King Charles one-on-one while she was in the UK but then he just ignores her. Markle still needs to apologize for that shady interview she did with Oprah.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-09-24 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I thought that was funny how she just rejected the royal/UK haters and then turned the tables on Don Lemon.
    How did she turn the tables, exactly? Because all she did was engage in whataboutism and false equivalences (no, Miss Fordwich, slavery as practiced in Africa is not the same as chattel slavery as practiced by Europeans), to say nothing of omitting the *other* shit the British Empire owes reparations for. E.g. famines in Ireland and India.

Also I heard that Megan Markle asked to talk to King Charles one-on-one while she was in the UK but then he just ignores her. Markle still needs to apologize for that shady interview she did with Oprah.
    If you'd actually watched said interview rather than talking out your ass you'd understand that Markle is owed the apology, not Charles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    How did she turn the tables, exactly? Because all she did was engage in whataboutism and false equivalences (no, Miss Fordwich, slavery as practiced in Africa is not the same as chattel slavery as practiced by Europeans), to say nothing of omitting the *other* shit the British Empire owes reparations for. E.g. famines in Ireland and India.
    Bears pointing out that the UK, despite nominally banning slavery in the Magna Carta, maintained systems of effective slavery like indentured servitude, and had no restrictions on slavery in the broader Empire; the "ban" only applied in the UK itself. Which is why, for instance, British colonials were key to establishing the transatlantic slave trade in what would become the USA (not exclusively, of course, it was active throughout the Carribean with other European powers as well). Just by way of example.

The UK's actual proper ban on slavery was passed into law in 1833.

If you'd actually watched said interview rather than talking out your ass you'd understand that Markle is owed the apology, not Charles.
    He's her father-in-law. Skipping over that this is tabloid-level bullshit, if Charles did snub her request to talk, he's the one being an asshole, like you said. The only people who think Markle's been in the wrong about anything are racists who're still really upset that a black woman married into the British Royal Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only people who think Markle's been in the wrong about anything are racists who're still really upset that a black woman married into the British Royal Family.
    The whole Markle saga basically shows how racist the UK still is, you have a pedophile in the family and she takes all the bad headlines. I even saw a few fluff pieces for Andrew talking about how good he is with dogs or whatever had to resist the urge to puke.