Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Layering in my opinion does NOT belong inside a MMORPG. It's already in the name: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
    Yesterday there were 12 layers on classic server, 12.

How is this acceptable? I am glad everyone can level straight forward now with no issues of other players but isn't this the whole point of a MMORPG.
    I wanna see people everywhere i go and if the realm is split into 12 other realms then there is no way you even see 10% of your actual Realm population.

How are people supporting this nonsense feature in WoW? This only makes your realm appear more dead then it actually is.

And this is a real issue not only in classic but also retail.
    Yes, layering needs to go, together with sharding. Queues are 100x better than this shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Layering in my opinion does NOT belong inside a MMORPG. It's already in the name: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
    Yesterday there were 12 layers on classic server, 12.

How is this acceptable? I am glad everyone can level straight forward now with no issues of other players but isn't this the whole point of a MMORPG.
    I wanna see people everywhere i go and if the realm is split into 12 other realms then there is no way you even see 10% of your actual Realm population.

How are people supporting this nonsense feature in WoW? This only makes your realm appear more dead then it actually is.

And this is a real issue not only in classic but also retail.
    Maybe because people don't want thousands of people flooding a zone? Maybe people want some breathing space? Did you make a Pandaren on the release of MoP? Have you seen how swarmed a zone can get? Sharding/layers are fine, WM/Non-WM is fine. You still have your MMORPG experience.

Wrath Classic Death Knight starting zone (for that stupid mount) was horrible (just like it was in Wrath) when trying to complete your quests around a hundred or more people.

What is it with the amount of threads lately where it is the minor and sometimes helpful things that are demanded gone?
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-09-10 at 04:26 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Not even sure what these assumptions are.

Game is at its worst state when people like you come back to the game, leave us few 2-3mil that actually enjoy the game play it with our layering.
    People like me come back? Where did you assume that? Wanna bet i done more in this game then you and been here longer then you have? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Yes, layering needs to go, together with sharding. Queues are 100x better than this shit
    Now you just gave me WoD Garrison flashback where the sharding broke and you were A LOT of people in the same Garrison, or stuck in the air queued up for landing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Maybe because people don't want thousands of people flooding a zone? Maybe people want some breathing space? Did you make a Pandaren on the release of MoP? Have you seen how swarmed a zone can get? Sharding/layers are fine, WM/Non-WM is fine. You still have your MMORPG experience.

Wrath Classic Death Knight starting zone (for that stupid mount) was horrible (just like it was in Wrath) when trying to complete your quests around a hundred or more people.

What is it with the amount of threads lately where it is the minor and sometimes helpful things that are demanded gone?
    Hey people blame that WoW feels dead, i wonder why when 1 server has 12 layers. Sorry but with the health of the game, splitting up your userbase is far from a logical thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you just gave me WoD Garrison flashback where the sharding broke and you were A LOT of people in the same Garrison, or stuck in the air queued up for landing.
    WoD Garrison was nothing compared to the MoP plane start mission.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD Garrison was nothing compared to the MoP plane start mission.
    That mission was nothing compared to the WoD bugging Garrison - maybe I just got through it better than WoD where your character could be stuck in another player's Garrison for hours, even when logging out and in.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey people blame that WoW feels dead, i wonder why when 1 server has 12 layers. Sorry but with the health of the game, splitting up your userbase is far from a logical thing to do.
    I don't get that complaint, maybe I'm lucky? I see people in all zones in current content. Of course, I'd love a cap on sharding permitted but sharding should NOT go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    That mission was nothing compared to the WoD bugging Garrison - maybe I just got through it better than WoD where your character could be stuck in another player's Garrison for hours, even when logging out and in.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get that complaint, maybe I'm lucky? I see people in all zones in current content. Of course, I'd love a cap on sharding permitted but sharding should NOT go away.
    Maybe i am too used to remember WoW from 2004-2012 era, where you would see over 100 pple hang in towns like Goldshire instead of just 10 people.
    Each their own preference, i still go by that overpopulated beats underpopulated areas. Especially in a MMORPG. if i want straight forward questing/mob killing then i would play a singleplayer game. but that's me.

EDIT: Also might be different which faction side you were on. I remember having to shoot down 10 orcs but there were over 500 planes flying around shooting down the 50 mobs that walked around the area. So getting the tag took forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe i am too used to remember WoW from 2004-2012 era, where you would see over 100 pple hang in towns like Goldshire instead of just 10 people.
    I still see zones with 50+ people, and well, where I played in the past and play now, no one touches Goldshire. One server it was lolshire because all PvPers where there and spamming, and another server, it is sadly ERPshire.

Each their own preference, i still go by that overpopulated beats underpopulated areas.
    In the past, overpopulation fucked over your game due to nodes not sharing, high toxicity for being faster at getting nodes/quest mobs, etc. Underpopulated sadly meant difficult to get people to help with a group quest, which is why the sharding was added.

Especially in a MMORPG. if i want straight forward questing/mob killing then i would play a singleplayer game. but that's me.
    People want to be able to play the game as they wish nowadays, either gathering, killing, interacting, exploring, etc.

EDIT: Also might be different which faction side you were on. I remember having to shoot down 10 orcs but there were over 500 planes flying around shooting down the 50 mobs that walked around the area. So getting the tag took forever.
    From Vanilla to TBC - Alliance (Because Paladin) - Hardly experienced the opposing faction due to normal server on US.
    From TBC to Wrath (ICC release) - Horde (Because of Elvish Paladins) - Moved to EU servers, played on RPpvp server with massive zones full of conflict depending on the time of the day.
    Wrath (ICC Release) to Legion - Horde (Because of Elvish Paladins) - Moved to RP server due to the previous server dying under the hostile attitude of raiders and PvPers.
    From Legion to Now - Alliance (Because Outlaw Rogue) - Enjoying the server and there's life around (BFA was a hit for me with Warmode) but zones were feeling more dead, hence the sharding so that more players were moved together to populate the zones.

As stated, I believe we need layering/sharding but there needs to be a cap on how much, 12 is too much, but none is too little, as it would make zones dead on some servers.

People like me come back? Where did you assume that? Wanna bet i done more in this game then you and been here longer then you have? lol
    Sure, lets play the brag game.

Started in closed US beta, early-mid 2004, then open EU beta in December 2004 first day for EU release in February 2005. Pretty sure i already won but we can continue this.

Here i will help you, i stopped raiding seriously after WoTlk, Top 25 world Halion was the last big thing i did, casual AoTC trash since then, but still better than you.

This was fun 10+ years ago when social media wasn't that commonplace and a big novelty of WoW was just hanging out with people you knew (or not).

Nowadays most players just want to play a game, queueing simulator for a npc isn't... that interesting.

What a load of shite. Overcroweded servers with login issues aren't fun at all. Besides that, the very concept of having multiple servers already undermines the non-existent foundation of your argument.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

There are plenty of MMORPGs that do not have layering.
    WoW mostly plays like a lobby MMO that uses group finder for most activities.

The games you want to play do exist and there are many of them; do your research and find a nice community to play with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    There are plenty of MMORPGs that do not have layering.
    And they've not had the issue with too many people in the zones most of them.

WoW mostly plays like a lobby MMO that uses group finder for most activities.
    That is a YOU problem. If anyone gets a feeling of it being a lobby game, then it is because they choose to play like so.

The games you want to play do exist and there are many of them; do your research and find a nice community to play with.
    But the person wishes to play World of Warcraft, so that game doesn't exist outside of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Agreed. Turn off layering and sharding. I much more prefer 5 hour queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    Layering and cross realm ruined the game. Change my mind.
    You're right.

Yea, pretty sure people prefer less populated realms with massively higher queues as an alternative.

Makes perfect sense.

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    Layering and cross realm ruined the game. Change my mind.
    Don't need to change your mind. It is a free world, and you are permitted to be wrong.

Welcome to a MMORPG. this is also stuff that made WoW. These kinda events will stay for you for life.
    Removing all those little stuff just gives us a stale simple minded MMORPG, that is one of WoW biggest issues, so much streamlined so anyone can play without any bothersome.
    no they won't. they only become memorable if you are emotionally invested in the game AND you don't know of existing solutions. both of those things were true 20 years ago, but today it's harder to get invested in any one game as there is so much competition and technical solutions exist and are widely known. so they just become annoyances and frustrations, a little bit of it is ofcourse fine and even good, but it can very easily tip too far and become a very big negative experience.

stuff like large scale wpvp or organic emerging gameplay can become memorable but the same is true there: if there are too many people it tips into a negative experience.

you can argue that layers are bad and that server mergers, connections or transfers once the initial wave of players dies off are a better solution, but honestly that's just arguing semantics. both having too many and too few people are simply big and hard to solve problems.

Welcome to a MMORPG. this is also stuff that made WoW. These kinda events will stay for you for life.
    Removing all those little stuff just gives us a stale simple minded MMORPG, that is one of WoW biggest issues, so much streamlined so anyone can play without any bothersome.
    Sorry, but a game being quite literally unplayable (If you can't do shit because too many people taking nodes or your quest mob is dead or worse the ones you have to hand in the quest to is dead, or if you can't click the quest givers or vendors. Then yes the game at that point is unplayable.) is the absolute worst thing any game can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    You're right.
    Not really. I've read your thread so I can see why you'd think that though.