Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The ability to see other ppl has no real bearing in WoW, layering is required as the game doesnt handle alot of ppl in the same area very well, layering is the best thing WoW has implemented so you can freely quest without wasting time waiting for spawns or quest objectives, players much prefer smooth gameplay rather than a lag fest because you can see many players.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Even with current tech the game struggles with 50 or more ppl, remember the shadowlands pre event in icecrown the game couldnt handle it and it was just a lag fest, so you are wrong that 200 ppl in one layer wouldnt cause lag, layering does fix lag because it spreads out the playerbase, the lag is cause when too much information has to be passed around too many players at the same time.
    It is an apple to orange comparison between vanilla/classic servers. If you had a classic server with the same population limits as 2005 vanilla but running on modern 2022 hardware server specs, I am pretty sure there would not be the same lag as 2005. Of course there is no way to know for sure because that kind of server does not literally exist. Of course there is still going to be lag once you pass some threshold in players even on that theoretical server regardless. But the 200 player number is just something I threw out as a benchmark.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    This is so untrue. If this was true then world boss zones on Tuesday wouldn’t have been laggy well into 9.1, especially the ardenweald boss.

    The lag is better from 2005 to now but it’s not invulnerable to lag. It still happens.
    See above. Same reply. Comparing retail to a classic server with 2005 vanilla population caps on modern 2022 hardware is an apples to oranges comparison.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    It is an apple to orange comparison between vanilla/classic servers. If you had a classic server with the same population limits as 2005 vanilla but running on modern 2022 hardware server specs, I am pretty sure there would not be the same lag as 2005. Of course there is no way to know for sure because that kind of server does not literally exist. Of course there is still going to be lag once you pass some threshold in players even on that theoretical server regardless. But the 200 player number is just something I threw out as a benchmark.
    According to who? You? Random forum poster #927-D?

    Layering was developed before Classic was even introduced because they knew that traditional Vanilla era server populations would not provide a satisfactory experience for potential players, even on the new hardware. Had layering never been introduced the only possible solution to the population influx would be hundreds more servers than they launched with. Hundreds of servers which would have, undoubtedly, become ghost towns months after the population boom died down... forcing Blizzard to eventually consolidate and displace players at an even more rapid pace than they are now. Why on earth would Blizzard shoot themselves in the foot when there are technical solutions which achieve the same effect without the hugely negative side effect of having to merge and consolidate realms at some point in the future?

    You are wrong, plain and simple. You do not know better than Blizzard's own server engineers and getting on a forum and writing weird fanfiction about the way you think they should have handled Classic helps approximately nobody.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    According to who? You? Random forum poster #927-D?

    Layering was developed before Classic was even introduced because they knew that traditional Vanilla era server populations would not provide a satisfactory experience for potential players, even on the new hardware. Had layering never been introduced the only possible solution to the population influx would be hundreds more servers than they launched with. Hundreds of servers which would have, undoubtedly, become ghost towns months after the population boom died down... forcing Blizzard to eventually consolidate and displace players at an even more rapid pace than they are now. Why on earth would Blizzard shoot themselves in the foot when there are technical solutions which achieve the same effect without the hugely negative side effect of having to merge and consolidate realms at some point in the future?

    You are wrong, plain and simple. You do not know better than Blizzard's own server engineers and getting on a forum and writing weird fanfiction about the way you think they should have handled Classic helps approximately nobody.
    But you aren't disagreeing with me because you just reiterated what I already said which is that layering did not solve any of the issues people are complaining about. And it cannot change people's behaviors and, therefore, is primarily a benefit for Blizzard in not having to create so many servers, which leads them to put more people on individual servers which only makes the same problems they claim to be wanting to fix even worse.

    Also none of that has anything to do with the fact that it is modern hardware that is the biggest determining factor in performance, not layering. To the point that on a classic server with vanilla pop caps and modern hardware, lag would not likely happen as often when large numbers of people are in one area. Hardware evolution is what is driving all of these performance increases, not layering by itself.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    But you aren't disagreeing with me because you just reiterated what I already said which is that layering did not solve any of the issues people are complaining about. And it cannot change people's behaviors and, therefore, is primarily a benefit for Blizzard in not having to create so many servers, which leads them to put more people on individual servers which only makes the same problems they claim to be wanting to fix even worse.

    Also none of that has anything to do with the fact that it is modern hardware that is the biggest determining factor in performance, not layering. To the point that on a classic server with vanilla pop caps and modern hardware, lag would not likely happen as often when large numbers of people are in one area. Hardware evolution is what is driving all of these performance increases, not layering by itself.
    Hey genius. If this issue could be solved by "modern hardware" they wouldn't have developed layering in the first place. You do not know better than Blizzard's own server engineers.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    It is an apple to orange comparison between vanilla/classic servers. If you had a classic server with the same population limits as 2005 vanilla but running on modern 2022 hardware server specs, I am pretty sure there would not be the same lag as 2005. Of course there is no way to know for sure because that kind of server does not literally exist. Of course there is still going to be lag once you pass some threshold in players even on that theoretical server regardless. But the 200 player number is just something I threw out as a benchmark.

    - - - Updated - - -



    See above. Same reply. Comparing retail to a classic server with 2005 vanilla population caps on modern 2022 hardware is an apples to oranges comparison.
    Except I’m not… I literally gave an example of this expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How the fuck is this trolling?

    Discussing moderation is against the rules. Infracted.

  6. #166
    layering exists because the game cannot handle high ammounts of people in the same zone without crashing or lagging as we saw back in vanilla classic with the pvp events that some streamers did

    its necessary nowadays for stability

  7. #167
    Stood in the Fire MoFalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    US of Freaking A
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    We all have a freedom for opinion, how much hours do you play this game daily basis? You might not like it but i play quite a bit and done most content ingame.
    I seen people come and go, i sure can have an opinion when i experienced a game with and without layering.
    Doesn't make me wrong...... Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •