Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Witcher 4 unreal engine 5 facial animations concept

Pretty cool ngl
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

No effing thanks. The work is amazing no doubt. But I like my video games being fantasy, escapes from reality.

That said, if they can get rid of the "dead eyes" that a lot of modern video games have even with great lip syncing and body movements I'm all for it. WoW player character models have more alive eyes than the Witcher 3 outside of cutscenes which is kind of ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

tldr: Uncanny Valley, but I'd rather have the stylized faces of Witcher 2 and 3 than "realistic" faces that don't look like the characters we know nor like real people.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2022-08-23 at 10:37 AM.

From the same developers who did Cyberpunk and Gwent? Gonna wait for reviews, probably will be a terrible game.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    From the same developers who did Cyberpunk and Gwent? Gonna wait for reviews, probably will be a terrible game.
    Thats also where I stand too. It's probably going to be a good game but damn it. I don't trust any of them anymore to make a good game at release.

But on note of the topic, I also don't need this level of facial animation. I need great gameplay then story then graphics and I'm sure a number of other things that haven't come to mind well before any amazing facial animations. It's awesome tech but it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of what this game "needs".
    Last edited by quras; 2022-08-24 at 02:01 PM.

Looks nice, but better graphics/animation really doesn't sell anything to me these days.

nothing in the past decade has wow'ed me more than the jumps from SNES to N64 and then PS2 to PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    nothing in the past decade has wow'ed me more than the jumps from SNES to N64 and then PS2 to PS3.
    VR didn't wow you, really? I remember our workplace got Oculus CV1 in 2016 (or was it DK2 in 2015, can't recall now) and every coworker went "wow". I bought one too and it ruined every racing/space/flying sim without VR support - it literally transformed games from 2D to 3D - that's a pretty big jump, idk.
    Last edited by ldev; 2022-08-23 at 08:25 PM.

All I want from CDPR is next gen Witcher 3 update.

If and only if that is phenomenal, then maybe I care about their new stuff.

I'll give an example very similar. Mass Effect Andromeda came out then Anthem. Because those games either launched bad or stayed bad, I lost a lot of faith in Bioware. Then the Mass Effect Legendary Edition came out, it was great, remasters of old games, and really made me remember why I loved Mass Effect in the first place. Now I'm super hyped about Mass Effect 4.

Me caring about Witcher 4 is missing a step. I need them to do something good first, before I can freely give them my hype again. Development studios are only as good as their last game. I love the Witcher lore at least as much as most, but they have to earn back my trust. Otherwise, I'm the idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    VR didn't wow you, really? I remember our workplace got Oculus CV1 in 2016 (or was it DK2 in 2015, can't recall now) and every coworker went "wow". I bought one too and it ruined every racing/space/flying sim without VR support - it literally transformed games from 2D to 3D - that's a pretty big jump, idk.
    I've personally been pretty outspoken on this argument myself. I prefer pancake gaming. For me, I bought Oculus(first one, 600 bucks iirc) and then I bought the prescription glasses inserts because the thing doesn't work well with glasses(imo) and I can't see without mine, then I bought PSVR and the move.

I bet I played a total of like 10 hours across it all. I showed it off more than I played. It has collected pure dust since the initial excitement and demoing.

My problems are many. Few good games out for either system when I bought, for example, or deficiencies in current technology not really letting them be optimal yet.

However, mainly, for me it's all about the inconvenience of having to use a headset.

As long as you have to put a facemask on to do VR, sweaty, uncomfortable, fog up my glasses. That means I have to "get ready" to play.

However, gaming to a lot of people is the opposite of something I have to prepare for. The more convenient the better, and to me, VR is inconvenient. Heck, I like the Virtual Boy better because at least I could put it on a stand and not have to strap it to my head, and the starfox like game, boxing game, and mario tennis wasn't bad.

edit: I haven't been able to play Alyx yet.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-08-23 at 08:45 PM.

I think it looks good but I'm kind of over tech demos. I'm not going to get hyped up over any of that shit anymore, sorry.

Re: VR I also hit the inconvenience wall. I still play Beat Saber regularly as my morning workout, but I do that on the Quest 2 where I just have to toss it on and I'm ready to go. For anything more serious I have to whip out my Valve Index which is a chore and a half. I frequently have to recalibrate my room, make sure my wires are still hooked up properly, check my base stations...

There are a lot of great games worth playing in VR I just think the tech needs time.

MetaHuman certainly has the capability to look amazing - in CDPRs case, will be interesting to see how it works in the case of nonhuman characters. Will they try and get MH to do what they need, or work around it?

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    I think it looks good but I'm kind of over tech demos. I'm not going to get hyped up over any of that shit anymore, sorry.

Re: VR I also hit the inconvenience wall. I still play Beat Saber regularly as my morning workout, but I do that on the Quest 2 where I just have to toss it on and I'm ready to go. For anything more serious I have to whip out my Valve Index which is a chore and a half. I frequently have to recalibrate my room, make sure my wires are still hooked up properly, check my base stations...

There are a lot of great games worth playing in VR I just think the tech needs time.
    If you're recalibrating your room regularly, the issue isn't SteamVR as a platform - likely your basestations are shifting due to insecure mounting. Agreed on the wires, which is the primary reason I stuck with Vive Pro and went wireless. The Quest 2 is a great alternative, but has limited processing power by itself and suffers from issues with the host app when running from PC. Honestly? If you make it more convenient to use - have it on hand, ready to go - it'll get used more.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    tldr: Uncanny Valley, but I'd rather have the stylized faces of Witcher 2 and 3 than "realistic" faces that don't look like the characters we know nor like real people.
    Yeah, had the same feeling, not quite enough to fool and make me believe it is real, but close enough to unnerve me rather than impress me.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-08-24 at 07:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

It's a fan video where he moved some sliders in ur metahuman. Geralt looks horrible lol he's got tiny rat eyes and proportions are off.

Not a fan of the aesthetic. I guess I prefer the stylized faces you see in a Yakuza game or nu-Final Fantasy. Starcraft 2's faces also looked good.

5+ Year Old Account
    Witcher 4? When? I love this game! I played all the parts, but the third was the best. I literally can’t wait. They need to fix those animations a bit. Gerald's eyes look like they were Asian, but I guess it’s all still in the work, so it’s fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know why but i instantly feel uneasy watching that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drench View Post
    It's a fan video where he moved some sliders in ur metahuman. Geralt looks horrible lol he's got tiny rat eyes and proportions are off.
    Exactly, it is a fanmade video and not something done by CDPR...but seeing so many people getting baited by the title is kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Don't know why but i instantly feel uneasy watching that
    I felt same way when I saw L.A. Noire first mocap footage. It's a video game, but fucking faces moved like real ones. Nothing looked like that before in a video game and it disturbed me a bit. Like, some primal fear. Got used to it, UE5 metahumans are whatever now.

I'd rather watch Resident Evil 2 Remake's photorealistic burger than this

Pretty darn impressive. I still remember looking at the HL2 face rigging demos and going "it looks so real!"

And honestly comparing side by side the overall believability of the expressions...feels about the same? Uncanny valley is such a difficult thing to pin down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.