Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Turning mobile phones into handheld consoles is genius

    I was not so much into mobile gaming until recently, I realized that most games there have incorporated a touchscreen cycle with arrows to the left, I was not sure how to use this but then I realized that their intention was to hold it like a handheld console or controller. This technology is really genius and now there is no game that can't be played on mobile phones, this is a serious challenge for pc or other console games because mobile phones is the no1 platform. I ended up with a handheld console out of nowhere.

    The most impressive thing about it though is that it solves the biggest drawback of controllers and that is chatting or typing, typing on your mobile with two hands is extremely smooth and fast.

    Consoles should really learn from this and incorporate this touchscreen typing on modern controllers which should be possible, most mmos should really migrate to mobile phones now.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-09-11 at 09:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Dear Lord, i hope you're never put in charge of anything in the video game industry.

    The only reason mobile gaming is No.1 is because the games are mostly free, small, grindy distractions that provide the opportunity for microtransactions. I personally think that the less console and PC gaming platforms learn from mobile gaming, the better.

  3. #3
    Smartphonea are fine for casual play, up to a half an hour at most... they're just uncomfortable to play on longer than that. Ergonomically designed they ain't...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalock View Post
    Dear Lord, i hope you're never put in charge of anything in the video game industry.

    The only reason mobile gaming is No.1 is because the games are mostly free, small, grindy distractions that provide the opportunity for microtransactions. I personally think that the less console and PC gaming platforms learn from mobile gaming, the better.
    well dont forget the other big thing about mobile gaming...the fact that most people these days have a damned mobile phone. Read a statistic that there are towns where electricity in homes aren't common but smartphones are! Think about that these are folks who can't own a PC or a console outside of like a Switch maybe but they have cell phones that they charge in their car or at a cyber cafe...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    well dont forget the other big thing about mobile gaming...the fact that most people these days have a damned mobile phone. Read a statistic that there are towns where electricity in homes aren't common but smartphones are! Think about that these are folks who can't own a PC or a console outside of like a Switch maybe but they have cell phones that they charge in their car or at a cyber cafe...
    Yeah, these people aren't really the target audience though, i can't imagine them being very high on the list of big microtransaction spenders. These types of people see phones as the utility that they once were.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalock View Post
    Dear Lord, i hope you're never put in charge of anything in the video game industry.

    The only reason mobile gaming is No.1 is because the games are mostly free, small, grindy distractions that provide the opportunity for microtransactions. I personally think that the less console and PC gaming platforms learn from mobile gaming, the better.
    the touchscreen typing chat though would be great for a console controller, having it in the middle to type when you need to.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalock View Post
    Yeah, these people aren't really the target audience though, i can't imagine them being very high on the list of big microtransaction spenders. These types of people see phones as the utility that they once were.
    you'd be surprised mean yeah 1 whale probably gives more than that combined but a couple thousand people throwing in a few bucks every so often adds up

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalock View Post
    I personally think that the less console and PC gaming platforms learn from mobile gaming, the better.
    That's shortsighted. I don't see mobile games supplanting consoles and PC titles any time soon, but I also don't see us being very far off from a smartphone basically just being a Switch (assuming we aren't there already). I'm sure there are already controllers that you can connect to/pair with your phone to use with games that support that sort of thing...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That's shortsighted. I don't see mobile games supplanting consoles and PC titles any time soon, but I also don't see us being very far off from a smartphone basically just being a Switch (assuming we aren't there already). I'm sure there are already controllers that you can connect to/pair with your phone to use with games that support that sort of thing...
    Yeah, the Razor Kishi is one such device, basically makes your phone a switch.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Yeah, the Razor Kishi is one such device, basically makes your phone a switch.
    Well, there you go. Guess we are there already. Isn't the Switch still one of the best selling systems? Seems like a no-brainer that the gaming industry will continue to go in that direction.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Yeah, the Razor Kishi is one such device, basically makes your phone a switch.
    Mobile gaming is the future, whether MMOC luddites like it or not.

    PCs are practically a dying breed, it's all consoles and mobile nowadays and it will grow further because they are massively more popular. And no amount of screeching will change that fact.

    I guess some people here need to count their blessings seeing how Samsung/Apple and the likes did not yet figure out they practically already are making Switch, but I think they will soon enough.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Smartphonea are fine for casual play, up to a half an hour at most... they're just uncomfortable to play on longer than that. Ergonomically designed they ain't...
    This is a matter of what you are used to. Both my kids can game for hours on their phones. They prefer it in some respects to playing on a console, handheld or PC. All of which they have the option of- they choose their phone most of the time.

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,848
    People knocking the appeal of mobile gaming like Switches and Steam Decks do not exist. Not my preferred method to play games but the market is massive. And if form factor is an issue there's tons of grips people use.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  14. #14
    I can't stand mobile gaming, but it's entirely because of the controls and how the games are set-up. They're intended to be be done in small time chunks so that's the game play loop and the ease of controls. They're fun, for like 10-15 minutes at a time, IMO. Yes you can repeat that time for however long you feel like it, but I lose interest after that because it's the same game play loop over and over.

    They're not intended to be used for long drawn out play sessions, and for some reason the only thing I can think is like a mission in Horizon Zero Dawn/ Forbidden West or Assassins Creed Valhalla where you're infiltrating a stronghold and it's intended to take longer than 15 minutes to do. Not to mention, I just don't think a mobile game with mobile controls could pull of the game play feel of those games.

    They have their place, I guess, but they'll never replace PC or console gaming for me.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2022-09-12 at 01:47 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I can't stand mobile gaming, but it's entirely because of the controls and how the games are set-up. They're intended to be be done in small time chunks so that's the game play loop and the ease of controls. They're fun, for like 10-15 minutes at a time, IMO. Yes you can repeat that time for however long you feel like it, but I lose interest after that because it's the same game play loop over and over.

    They're not intended to be used for long drawn out play sessions, and for some reason the only thing I can think is like a mission in Horizon Zero Dawn/ Forbidden West or Assassins Creed Valhalla where you're infiltrating a stronghold and it's intended to take longer than 15 minutes to do. Not to mention, I just don't think a mobile game with mobile controls could pull of the game play feel of those games.

    They have their place, I guess, but they'll never replace PC or console gaming for me.
    There are full-action games such as Genshin Impact, Apex Legends, and strategy & RPGs on mobile.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are full-action games such as Genshin Impact, Apex Legends, and strategy & RPGs on mobile.
    I didn't mean to imply those games aren't or couldn't ever be on mobile, just that playing them on mobile would feel weird because of the controls.

    I've seen people use emulators to play them on PC or those phone peripherals that give you like an actual controller type situation on your phone but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean using the actual mobile phone with no add-ons or emulators to play the game would not feel the same.

  17. #17
    Elemental Lord callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    8,523
    I am curious to know the age of people playing mobile games. I tend to see younger folks, <21 years old, using their mobile phones regularly as gaming devices but I hear of older folks using pc/consoles.

    *21 years of age is rough guestimate.

  18. #18
    WC3 Megathreader Lilithvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I was not so much into mobile gaming until recently, I realized that most games there have incorporated a touchscreen cycle with arrows to the left, I was not sure how to use this but then I realized that their intention was to hold it like a handheld console or controller. This technology is really genius and now there is no game that can't be played on mobile phones, this is a serious challenge for pc or other console games because mobile phones is the no1 platform. I ended up with a handheld console out of nowhere.

    The most impressive thing about it though is that it solves the biggest drawback of controllers and that is chatting or typing, typing on your mobile with two hands is extremely smooth and fast.

    Consoles should really learn from this and incorporate this touchscreen typing on modern controllers which should be possible, most mmos should really migrate to mobile phones now.
    Oh hey Jaylock, did the mods let you free again?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are full-action games such as Genshin Impact, Apex Legends, and strategy & RPGs on mobile.
    Waiting for WoW, Starcraft, and Overwatch on my phone

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I am curious to know the age of people playing mobile games. I tend to see younger folks, <21 years old, using their mobile phones regularly as gaming devices but I hear of older folks using pc/consoles.

    *21 years of age is rough guestimate.
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/22/mo...g-mints-money/

    As of 2019, a bit over 36. This has been steadily going up over time as younger folks get older and more older folks get smartphones and learn how to play Candy Crush or Angry Birds or whatever popular mobile game is.

    https://intenta.digital/gaming-indus...game-industry/

    It's lower for console gamers, actually, with that age being around 33.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I didn't mean to imply those games aren't or couldn't ever be on mobile, just that playing them on mobile would feel weird because of the controls.

    I've seen people use emulators to play them on PC or those phone peripherals that give you like an actual controller type situation on your phone but that's not what I'm talking about. I mean using the actual mobile phone with no add-ons or emulators to play the game would not feel the same.
    Ah, I see. Well, as I said above. It's a matter of being used to it. For people used to gaming in that way, they have no issue playing Apex Legends or Genshin Impact on their phone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •