Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Montana permanently blocks birth certificate changes for trans people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-...ople-rcna47337

Montana health officials on Friday made permanent a rule that blocks transgender people from changing their birth certificates even if they undergo gender-confirmation surgery.

The move by Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte’s administration comes just days before a court will hear arguments over the legality of a similar rule that’s been in effect on an emergency basis since May. The ACLU of Montana has asked state Judge Michael Moses to strike down the emergency rule.

Moses in April had temporarily blocked a 2021 Montana law that made it difficult for transgender people to change their birth certificate.
    Honestly, I can't believe anyone WILLINGLY lives in Montana.

So is this him metaphorically body slamming trans folks since he can't physically body slam them like he did when he assaulted a member of the press for asking him a question?

Gender issues arent allowed in off topic I think

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Gender issues arent allowed in off topic I think
    Yeah, bigots like you can't handle the heat.

Wild take. Should people be allowed to change their birth certificates at all? I understand the point of any legislation pushed by the Republican party is mostly to punch down at what they see as subversives but is their any real need for anyone to be able to amend their birth certificates?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Wild take. Should people be allowed to change their birth certificates at all? I understand the point of any legislation pushed by the Republican party is mostly to punch down at what they see as subversives but is their any real need for anyone to be able to amend their birth certificates?
    What possible reason would there be not to?

If you change your name here, you get a new birth certificate with the new name. You can also change sex designations. Because there isn't a reason not to other than outright bigotry.

15+ Year Old Account
    The following changes should make republicans happy with birthcerificate of newborn children at least:

Marries: Yes
    Faith: Evangelist
    Premature birth: Hell no, that is progressive
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What possible reason would there be not to?

If you change your name here, you get a new birth certificate with the new name. You can also change sex designations. Because there isn't a reason not to other than outright bigotry.
    If you were born with X name over here on TERF Island you can change your name using Deed Poll but it doesn't change the name on you or birth certificate and you haven't made the argument as to why it should aside from just interjecting"bigotry" with no qualification.

A birth certificate is a record of your state at birth,, if Canada has no interest in it being accurate than that's Canada's take I guess but it isn't a barrier in moving forward as a Trans person to have an accurate birth certificate.

I don't know. Changing your birth certificate seems strange to me, since I have no idea what it would actually accomplish. But laws (and the people who write them) that go out of their way to shit on people like this can get fucked.

Isn't your birth certificate used as a form of identification for some things? Not having it match your other forms of ID that you are allowed to change seems like it could cause problems.

The while birth certificate thing is fucking retarded anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-...ople-rcna47337

It used to be a pretty nice place, allowing for the latitude and remoteness. The landscape was still gorgeous a decade ago, with some of the best hiking and skiing on the planet. Not sure what happened to the population. Their politics used to be dominated what I'd describe as independent conservatives, with a healthy dose of conservationists and distrust for "out-of-staters" who didn't have Montana's best interests at heart. I remember eating excellent steak, while listening to locals complain about how Ted Turner had bought a ranch that he didn't really use. But nowadays, they've apparently turned into Trump-zombies who just love being told how to live by crazy centimillionaire executives from California.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    Isn't your birth certificate used as a form of identification for some things? Not having it match your other forms of ID that you are allowed to change seems like it could cause problems.
    This is why. If a birth certificate was not something that people needed to show every now and then as identification, it wouldn't be a big deal. But there are serious problems if you are asked to show multiple forms of ID, and they don't match.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I'm anti-big government"

also

"The government should micromanage every aspect of anyone's life who isn't a CIS male WASP“

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    This is why. If a birth certificate was not something that people needed to show every now and then as identification, it wouldn't be a big deal. But there are serious problems if you are asked to show multiple forms of ID, and they don't match.
    I was gonna say, has anyone ever been under any kind of scrutiny from a government official? If your BC doesn't match your other documents or you don't clearly document your name changes you have to do a fuckton of legwork to fix it for a police check, or you just straight up can't get one. If you can't get a police check, you're probably gonna have a fuckshow of a time getting a job.

I would probably make it illegal to change your name on your birth certificate for everyone just because of how much of a fucking pain in the ass for the admin staff it is when your documents don't line up. In the last department I worked, there was one acceptable excuse for birth certificate muckery: you were born in Afghanistan, so requesting the document of the Taliban might get your family there killed.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

The point of a birth certificate is to register an historical record. Correction only makes sense in the event that something recorded was actually wrong on the original documentation. This seems like a pretty reasonable piece of legislation if there's been a sudden influx of people wanting to alter their birth certificates for reasons of personal identification rather than legitimate correction.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post

Yeah who'd want to live in a hellhole like that?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Who'd wouldn't to live somewhere with a coast like this?

That's Somalia.

Cherry picking photos is a terrible argument.

Very obvious Venn diagram forming of poster responses.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    lol... That's some grade-A disingenuous bullshit right there.

Yes, if you want to live out in a cabin in the woods, I'm sure Montana is perfect for that.