Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account

Cool Is Dragonflight WoW's last chance?

I've more or less come to the realization for myself that Dragonflight needs to meet the mark that they've set in place for it. There can't be another repeat of cut content like WoD, botched story execution like BfA / SL, horrifying time-disrespecting gameplay elements like BfA / SL... More or less, I've come to one conclusion.

If Dragonflight fails and ends up being a bad expansion, I feel like it'll be either the last expansion or second to last expansion. Either that, or development resources will be thinned out to the point where Microsoft outsources WoW's development to multiple studios as a semi-maintained live service with weekly / monthly events, and that's it.

WoW cannot afford another screw-up. I will admit that I've pre-purchased Dragonflight, if only for the vague hope that it will be good, but the beta and the classes have me hopeful, alongside the moment to moment gameplay. I'm cautiously optimistic, but fully aware that this could go south very, very quickly. If this expansion ends up being bad, then I'm going to have to drop WoW in its entirety for my own sake.

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

According to a vocal part of the community :
    - Cataclysm was hated
    - MoP was considered childish and moronic
    - WoD non sense weak and cheap
    - Warcraft movie that was poorly received as well

And then came Legion that was hailed as hero and saviour of the franchise.

WoW is still generating large amounts of money, so I think we're safe with the franchise, they have a pretty good stack of second chances in stock.
    Last edited by Skildar; 2022-09-16 at 04:21 PM.

WOD was the end for me, but like a dumbass I let my hopes get up with LK classic, but didn't take into account the hacks in charge now wanting to put their personal shitty touches on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    WOD was the end for me, but like a dumbass I let my hopes get up with LK classic, but didn't take into account the hacks in charge now wanting to put their personal shitty touches on it.
    What shitty personal touches?
    The quest helper and dungeon thing are garbage, but sadly it is what a lot of the community wants, because they want classic not retail, and those 2 choices are literally the only bad decisions I can think of for wotlk classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    According to a vocal part of the community :
    - Cataclysm was hated
    - MoP was considered childish and moronic
    - WoD non sense weak and cheap
    - Warcraft movie that was poorly received as well

And then came Legion that was hailed as hero and saviour of the franchise.

WoW is still generating large amounts of money, so I think we're safe with the franchise, they have a pretty good stack of second chances in stock.
    uh...MoP is the best expansion the game has ever had.

Whiners talking about Kung-fu Panda didn't actually play the expac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

I think this is a personal question someone has to assess for themselves. Plenty of people are happy with the state of the game and looking forward to DF and beyond.

For me, SL really drained all excitement and good will I had for this game. So if DF is another dud then I can say, yes I think it will be time for me to move on from WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post

Pretty much. Also its no more of a valid criticism then saying Shadowlands was too dark/depressing. Which is typical Blizzard fashion they always do a 180 in response too. With MoP they tried to follow up with a metal/horde heavy expansion. Now in response to SL we are getting an upbeat, colorful expansion. I have no doubt 11.0 will be back to serious and edgy again.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    What shitty personal touches?
    The quest helper and dungeon thing are garbage, but sadly it is what a lot of the community wants, because they want classic not retail, and those 2 choices are literally the only bad decisions I can think of for wotlk classic
    all of it - I was hoping to play it just as it was, beside the server I had started some toons on turned into a lopsided faction (when they announced BC me and a friend started a few toons I only stayed for a short bit, he was sub up till July and the server faction went to shit, about 95% allies and 5% horde not even possible to get a 5 man together, hell due to the anti boosting crap can't even run each others alts though dungeons like we did the first time in LK, before I unsubbed you could see tanks and healers not even able to put together groups *granted world chat was quiet no boost\gold or any spam or any chat really) they just needed to release the dam thing as it was the first time and let it go on its own merits.

I been following on the forums and found a thread here where someone is trying to list them.
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-wrath/1318211

**between the deletion of RSV and Blizzards garbage scaling, anything retail is not even worth a look IMO.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-09-16 at 04:44 PM.

If it's good, I'll keep playing it. If it's not, I'll stop, and maybe check it out next patch.

It's as simple as that, and I have no delusions on anything regarding the future of WoW as a whole. There's no "this needs to be good or WoW is doomed!" from me, no hastily thought-out fanfiction about what's going to happen to WoW if I happen to not like Dragonflight. That's just... too many fucks to give. I'm just gonna play it.

For me it's already late, it looks so shallow on the content side.

I'll play it the first month for the novelty, then see what it has to offer.

11.0 is, because if we dont get a revamp of azeroth, the game will die

lol, the same conversation every single expansion. don't you guys get tired?

if you're done with it, just move on to other interests, stop lingering and being doomsayers, geez.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    lol, the same conversation every single expansion. don't you guys get tired?

if you're done with it, just move on to other interests, stop lingering and being doomsayers, geez.
    I think this is somewhat disingenuous. People from the outset in BfA and SL when the systems were released into alpha and beta stages were very outspoken about how they would turn WoW's reputation further downward (even if Legion was well received). There isn't a lot of that conversation in Dragonflight. People typically function on a 3 strike system.

For example - people who felt Cataclysm, MoP and WoD were bad, a 3-expansion length, have mostly (I don't want to say all) left the game altogether. It's not a coincidence that Blizzard stopped posting sub numbers around that time. 3 strikes, you're out.

Legion was well received. It renewed interest for some players that perhaps enjoyed 1 of those 3 expansions I listed. Though, BfA was fairly objectively regarded as a horrible expansion, as was SL. If we get a third bad expansion in a series, then it stands to reason that the third strike is what would kill the momentum in its entirety. Human bias is structured around 'three strikes' imho. It's a societal thing.

So, given the last time this happened, it caused such a horrible disruption - if it happened again, it might outright kill the game.

All speculation. Sure. But it's valid to worry about these sorts of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

As someone that started playing August 2005, quit retail in Legion, played classic from launch through TBC, and came back to retail in 9.2.5, I think wow is in a fantastic spot. I admit I have played zero BfA... not even the stuff for allied races, but mythic plus is a fantastic system, mythic raiding is solid, and there are fantastic story elements throughout the content.

I'm not a fan of systems like artifact power grinds but the Shadowlands covenant systems, at least by 9.2.5, seemed solid. Plenty of playstyle options and easy enough to run through once for swapping easily across all account characters.

The only part of the game I've played and not enjoyed was the final tier of Cata. The DW stuff seemed like a swing-and-miss.

Vanilla is what made the game
    TBC showed us the game potential and story tie-in
    Wrath put forth the foundation for both systems and story as it is in retail today
    Cata was a cool spin and throwback to vanilla
    MoP was fantastic and gave us daily quest grinds and gardening/farming!
    WoD was weak, but had some great systems (Challenge modes, mythic raiding difficulty)
    Legion was a reset that put us closer to wrath. AP farm was horrible but really developed the story-arc's within zones in Suramar, which is the essentially the covenant campaigns currently)
    BfA seemed visually stunning, but poorly developed
    Shadowlands was improperly handled early but felt appropriately tuned/adjusted by 9.2

What worries me about Dragonflight is there will be too little for player engagement. I think DF will be an expansion with high numbers the first 2-4 weeks of patch release followed by massive fall off similar to WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    If Dragonflight fails and ends up being a bad expansion, I feel like it'll be either the last expansion or second to last expansion. Either that, or development resources will be thinned out to the point where Microsoft outsources WoW's development to multiple studios as a semi-maintained live service with weekly / monthly events, and that's it.
    What do you guys think?
    There is mmorpgs with 100 times less players than wow that still produce new expansions. If Everquest manage to put out new expansions, I'm pretty sure wow can tank way more than one or two badly received expansions
    MMO Champs :

MoP was a garbage expansion to many, me included. Still my least favorite of all time. It actually amazes me how people seem to have forgotten how much it was hated when it was current, no different than Cata, WoD, BfA, and now SL.

On topic, no. As stated above, the majority of expansions were widely criticized, with several of them being predicted to be the so called last chance for WoW before it dies. Yet, it never dies. Nothing will change whether DF is good or not.

Every expansion is worth the box price and the game play the first 30 days brings. The gaming industry thinks nothing of throwing their money at shitty game developers that produce 5 hour campaigns for a higher box price.

Since the box alone pays for the expansion, WoW can go on forever.

No...Dragonflight is not WoW's last chance. One would have to have a very amateurish business sense to think it is.

The game's budget has been declining since WoD. As long as WoW has at least 500,000 subs they'll be able to keep the lights on and push out more shitty expansions. Given how the big 4 MMOs have stabilized and WoW is the biggest of them, I don't see WoW dipping below 500,000.

I'm not saying it isn't a great expansion just that at the time people were shitting on MoP

I think I've seen the case made that every expansion since MoP was WoW's "last chance"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wow is still likely Making tens of millions a year even in its slump, your delusional if you think it’s any where near it’s last chance with that kinda money to be had.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.