Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    What wrong opinion did you have about WoW in the past?

    When were you "wrong" and why did you change your mind?

    Me:

    "Classic WoW is going to be hard as hell"
    Back when classic wasnt out yet. Obviously wrong

    "LFR is one of the reasons why WoW sucks"
    I still remember MMO-C having this argument every week on frontpage.
    It was a very popular argument back in the day.
    I think i was wrong because i dont see myself raiding even if they remove LFR nowadays.

    "Transmog is one of the reason why WoW sucks"
    Oh boy...
    I was young and stupid, ok? I think every MMO needs a way to make you look like you want.

    Those are my big ones i guess.
    What are yours?
    Last edited by Roanda; 2022-09-16 at 10:00 PM.

  2. #2
    "Maybe the WoW community will one day be worth listening to."

    Instead we got the likes of Asmongold and Bellular programming toxic cynicism to the masses and insisting that if WoW just becomes a different version of {insert game here} that all of its problems magically disappear.

  3. #3
    "The writing team is incredible." And then we got BfA and Shadowlands.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    When were you "wrong" and why did you change your mind?

    Me:

    "Classic WoW is going to be hard as hell"
    Back when classic wasnt out yet. Obviously wrong

    "LFR is one of the reasons why WoW sucks"
    I still remember MMO-C having this argument every week on frontpage.
    It was a very popular argument back in the day.
    I think i was wrong because i dont see myself raiding even if they remove LFR nowadays.

    "Transmog is one of the reason why WoW sucks"
    Oh boy...
    I was young and stupid, ok? I think every MMO needs a way to make you look like you want.

    Those are my big ones i guess.
    What are yours?
    There is almost never one single reason as to why something "sucks". Therefore none of those absolute statements is ever going to be correct.

    That being said i still think Transmog and lfr is bad for wow in some context and good in others - but overall more bad then good.

  5. #5
    Brewmaster Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,460
    Gatekeeping.

    "Everyone need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I used to say this in Wrath. Then Cata hit. I hated the dungeons and raids. The steep curve from the puggability of Wrath which was very comfortable even though I missed the need for traps and sheeping in dungeons, to the unforgiving nightmare that was Cata dungeons that gave you no mercy. As a healer it was a nightmare. Your heals hit like a wet sock. Your group ran out of CC all the time and that particular place in Stonecore can go to hell. It wasn't the fun of TBC dungeons that returned, it was something else.
    In Cata I didn't give two shits if some newbie didn't know strat or didn't have the best gear. I helped that guy. Because Cata wasn't fun and I didn't want anyone to hear that nonsense from me.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Gatekeeping.

    "Everyone need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I used to say this in Wrath. Then Cata hit. I hated the dungeons and raids. The steep curve from the puggability of Wrath which was very comfortable even though I missed the need for traps and sheeping in dungeons, to the unforgiving nightmare that was Cata dungeons that gave you no mercy. As a healer it was a nightmare. Your heals hit like a wet sock. Your group ran out of CC all the time and that particular place in Stonecore can go to hell. It wasn't the fun of TBC dungeons that returned, it was something else.
    In Cata I didn't give two shits if some newbie didn't know strat or didn't have the best gear. I helped that guy. Because Cata wasn't fun and I didn't want anyone to hear that nonsense from me.
    So count you in for Classic Cata, got it.

  7. #7
    Brewmaster Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    So count you in for Classic Cata, got it.
    Fuck no. I'm waiting for MoP. Cata can burn in Deathwing's lava tentacle armpits.

  8. #8
    Stealthed Defender unbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Posts
    6,735
    "Blizz will never stoop to selling gold because of their extremely strong stance on the game economy."
    Yes, I've been playing off and on since the very beginning.

    "As WoW gets older, it will be easier to create content due to improvements in their tools and experience they gain, so we'll get even more content with each expansion."
    During Wrath, and they've been providing less ever since.

    "Cute April Fool's joke. How could anyone fall for that? No way Blizz will make Pandas into a race in the game."

  9. #9
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,368
    That despite being the most profitable game of all time, that Blizzard would continue pouring top tier talent into the game and making it a high quality experience.

  10. #10
    "I'm gonna enjoy the shit outta Shadowlands"

  11. #11
    The only big thing I can think of where I changed my mind is when I thought that loosening restrictions on transmog would be a good thing. Now with half the people running around basically naked I would have to say that was a wrong opinion. At this point they might as well just let us take the pants off too and be done with it. Freedom of choice is nice but some of the ridiculous costumes people come up with makes the game look like a joke. I have no problem with the silly plate bikinis and whatnot but hiding armor slots completely was probably a mistake to allow. But in the grand scheme of things transmog is not that important to me anyway so whatever.

  12. #12
    That it would die.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

  13. #13
    I thought that blizzard wouldn't be dumb enough to take out lfd in wotlk classic

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    "Maybe the WoW community will one day be worth listening to."

    Instead we got the likes of Asmongold and Bellular programming toxic cynicism to the masses and insisting that if WoW just becomes a different version of {insert game here} that all of its problems magically disappear.
    Funny, I don't recall seeing your name in any of the youtube searches offering better content. Put your money where your mouth is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also, I'm pretty sure their bank accounts couldn't care less about your "wRoNg" opinion.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Funny, I don't recall seeing your name in any of the youtube searches offering better content. Put your money where your mouth is. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also, I'm pretty sure their bank accounts couldn't care less about your "wRoNg" opinion.
    Wow. You mean... negativity on YouTube is... profitable?!?

    Look dude, I don't give a shit about becoming a YouTube billionaire (if I did, I wouldn't have 15k posts on this God forsaken forum) but I don't think expectation for stating an opinion in this thread should be, "Do you have a YouTube channel with millions of subscribers?"

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord Brewmaster Kolee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Peak of Serenity
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    That it would die.
    WoWisDead64 should be saying that.

    Remember it's a game. Have a beer buff. Chill.

  17. #17
    That people enjoy playing it.

    This place sure cured me of that in a hurry.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    "As WoW gets older, it will be easier to create content due to improvements in their tools and experience they gain, so we'll get even more content with each expansion."
    During Wrath, and they've been providing less ever since.
    this is just flat out wrong...wrath was extremly barebones and revamped naxx,legion and bfa had way more content,and if i recall right every expansion since had a patch that was larger than the last record

    just because you dont enjoy the content,doesnt mean there hasnt been more of it

  19. #19
    "Raids are major kind of content is Wow". Back in old TBC/WotLK days I was misled by MMO's false marketing. I had that common MMO's romanticism. I thought, that everybody raids in MMOs, so raids were super-important and "This would cost you raid tier" argument was valid. Only Cata's disaster opened my eyes. All of a sudden I realized, that only 1% of playerbase was hardcore, 9% semi-hardcore, 30% semi-casual and 60% of players were squirrel-kissers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    "As WoW gets older, it will be easier to create content due to improvements in their tools and experience they gain, so we'll get even more content with each expansion."
    During Wrath, and they've been providing less ever since.
    +1 Same here. My logic was: more content => more players => more money => more developers => more content. Problem is - companies want more profit. And more developers isn't good for profit. It's cheaper to have 1000 whales, who are ready to invest thousands of $$$ into 0 content, than millions of players, who play large complex game, that requires lots of development. Simply because it's the same money, but for 0 effort. Another problem - devs decided to limit themselves to MMO genre and MMO auditory is very limited, therefore "more content" can't bring "more players", so putting more effort into game is pointless.

  20. #20
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,194
    That they would limit the scenario creation tools, provide them to players with some art assets and scripting IDE so that player generated content could be added to the game after an approval process by Blizzard.

    That died when Ghostcrawler left. That was something he speculated they might do someday. That's how he got his start in the biz, making scenarios for Age of Empires. It's still a good idea but Blizzard is too tight-assed to think about it. User generated content has helped out other games. It could surely help this one if handled correctly.

    EDIT: One more: That they would eventually realize that throwing complete strangers together with few consequences is a bad thing and hire some people that truly understand how social gaming works. Fail on that one too. We now have a bunch of spreadsheet engineers in charge of the game and most of the relevant teams with all of the creativity and understanding of player psychology that that suggests.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-09-17 at 07:02 AM.
    Two rules for living: "Don't go around hurting each other. Try to understand things." — William Least Heat-Moon (Blue Highways)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •