Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That not because they couldn't. It's because they either didn't know what raiding was or didn't put in the effort. Believe me any moron could clear those raids, they were laughably easy
    True not everyone know about raiding, but saying anyone could clear them is just wrong. Black Temple and Sunwell had fights that broke up guilds, and not casual, but actual raiding guilds. The strict 40/25 man numbers was a huge problem as well, as fielding those numbers for average guilds was impossible even then. I didn't play during vanilla but i have read up on it. Most people didn't see past Molten Core. And in BC, which is when I played, SSC, TK, BT, and sunwell were not seen by many people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That not because they couldn't. It's because they either didn't know what raiding was or didn't put in the effort. Believe me any moron could clear those raids, they were laughably easy
    You also seem to forget that we didn't have the knowledge we have now then, even with the wonders of Thottbot. And internet connections weren't as good and people's PCs were often quite bad. So many times going into a raid with 40 people could seriously fuck up your playing experience with lag and FPS drops.
    Heck I played on a potato. The textures looked like shit and Orgrimmar gave me thousands of MS and made it feel like I was playing a PowerPoint presentation. I couldn't raid even if I wanted to. I mostly did city raids(a total lagfest) and outdoor content.
    So even though you might have been a good player who knew how to raid and had a good setup, if your raid mates didn't have an optimal setup you were doomed to fail.
    But the slow gameplay of Vanilla worked well with shitty setups and was therefore less punishing than it is today, allowing for easier raids, but it could still be unplayable at times even with your best efforts.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    MOP is going to be a shit expansion. Pandas? Like wtf!

Turns out to be a fantastic expansion. One of my fav
    Same, and the same with SL but opposite :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Wrong opinion (circa burning crusade): "maybe if I commit to PvE and get to endgame the game will finally actually be fun"

Reality: PvEers are obnoxious passive aggressive jerks who care more about optimizing the fun out of everything for the sake of getting a dopamine hit when they get a new item than about anything and anyone else

Correct opinion (consistently proving true for the past ten years): ganking and griefing those idiots is where the fun is at
    Sorry, you are just hitting the wrong guilds

To help you urther, this is the bigget red flag I always saw, and it basically always works:

The "elite" players of that guild seem to have no life and only talk on each among themselves, no sense of inclusion with others.

Avoid a guild with that type of raiders and then you are good. Also, not all good players are like this, I´ve got my share of good guilds with good people who were also very good players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    During WotLK I used to think PvP was all about skill, when it was mostly about comp and access to PvE gear.

Which is funny because, fast forward to WoD, I remember the marketing for it went along the lines of "Engage in epic PvP battles where skill is the deciding factor more than ever!". When in reality the victor in RBGs was decided by how many boomkins or warlocks with PvE trinkets were on your team.

Good times regardless, but that e-sports marketing can take a walk.
    Im pretty sure this wasnt wod. Cant rember any pve stuff in pvp, cause itemlevel of pvp got massive boost in pvp combat.

Cata 4.3 was all about dotcleaves with cunning trinket from dragonsoul, all casters had firelands leggy, a dk tc with gurthalak and a rogue with deathwing leggys.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Im pretty sure this wasnt wod. Cant rember any pve stuff in pvp, cause itemlevel of pvp got massive boost in pvp combat.
    I don't recall the specifics but during early WoD you could equip a piece of PvP gear that was 340 scaled up to 385 in PvP, or equip a 385 piece of mythic gear which gave similar stats. In most cases this wasn't worth it, but it definitely was for certain classes/trinkets combos that did insane amounts of damage in big RBG fights.

It wasn't until later in WoD that PvE gear was completely neutered and said trinkets were nerfed to be less effective in PvP combat.

Cata 4.3 was all about dotcleaves with cunning trinket from dragonsoul, all casters had firelands leggy, a dk tc with gurthalak and a rogue with deathwing leggys.
    I didn't participate much in Cata PvP, but I know PvE gear and Legendaries dominated just as much as they did in TBC and WotLK. Which is why PvP guilds never lasted very long, as the key to PvP success during those years was access to raid gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    that WoW Classic would never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Gatekeeping.

"Everyone need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I used to say this in Wrath. Then Cata hit. I hated the dungeons and raids. The steep curve from the puggability of Wrath which was very comfortable even though I missed the need for traps and sheeping in dungeons, to the unforgiving nightmare that was Cata dungeons that gave you no mercy. As a healer it was a nightmare. Your heals hit like a wet sock. Your group ran out of CC all the time and that particular place in Stonecore can go to hell. It wasn't the fun of TBC dungeons that returned, it was something else.
    In Cata I didn't give two shits if some newbie didn't know strat or didn't have the best gear. I helped that guy. Because Cata wasn't fun and I didn't want anyone to hear that nonsense from me.
    Man that's a shame, hard dungeons were some of the most fun I had in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    When were you "wrong" and why did you change your mind?

Me:

"Classic WoW is going to be hard as hell"
    Back when classic wasnt out yet. Obviously wrong

"LFR is one of the reasons why WoW sucks"
    I still remember MMO-C having this argument every week on frontpage.
    It was a very popular argument back in the day.
    I think i was wrong because i dont see myself raiding even if they remove LFR nowadays.

"Transmog is one of the reason why WoW sucks"
    Oh boy...
    I was young and stupid, ok? I think every MMO needs a way to make you look like you want.

Those are my big ones i guess.
    What are yours?
    I deeply regret ever calling several "tiers" of item levels within a raiding tier a good idea.

Don't try to accomodate for different difficulties, just slim it down to one tier of items per raid tier.
    And allow them to be upgradeable or something if the entitled screechers appear, with the amount of upgrade stuff increasing with difficulty level.

Oh and allow every one only a single kill per boss on any difficulty, so that harder bosses don't necessarily halt progression entirely.

Cosmetics like mounts and more are fine being limited to higher difficulties imo.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    "I'm gonna play this game forever!"

I used to think I really liked TBC, that TBC was the best xpac, that once TBC classic hit, I would sink into it like no tomorrow.

Fourteen quests into Hellfire Peninsula later...

You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Man that's a shame, hard dungeons were some of the most fun I had in WoW
    I wish I experienced the same but to be fair, it wasn't just the difficulty and bugs of Cata that turned me off to enjoy them. I really didn't like the art direction, music or gear design, and I found many of the NPC voices grating(same issue WoD had imo). And other people's bad internet connection and general server instability made some dungeons painful to complete when precision traps or timing was necessary.
    And I like hard content, just difficult to enjoy it when so many factors worked against you at the time. Cata just wasn't for me dungeon wise.
    But I loved Vashj'ir, the Worgen and Goblin starting experience, Vortex Pinnacle, Firelands and it's HC bosses, and transmog when it eventually arrived. The rest just didn't entice me sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    You may say I have a hot take opinion, but it's certainly not wrong.

This game has too many buttons.

If you only do PVE, likely never use interrupts, cc, or anything else other than dps abilities, you will probably feel like the game has too few buttons, actually.
    But if you do PVP, where you have to use everything in the spellbook PLUS team mate macros, it gets very uncomfortable.
    We tried this experiment in WoD. It was terrible, and the subsequent problems still haven't been fixed. It was also a contributing factor to classes being totally alien to how they used to play.

I'm sorry you apparently don't keybind things properly, but this attitude was one of the biggest things that ruined the game.

In Classic;

Arena would be huge. It wasn't. In fact it was a massive non-event for the majority. I honestly expected it to thrive with a real mix of player types.

It would be challenging based on my PS experiences. It wasn't. With Blizzard balancing everything around the last patch 1.12. it trivialized so much of the content, however, I do agree that the content was still not really challenging compared to retail level.

I'd create lots of great memories, I was actually logged off with world buffs for most of the game.

----

Legion was the turning point especially after WoD. Then BFA came along.

I thought creating a LFD tool and enhancing it would be cool but now in hind sight it destroyed dungeons.
    Even though a lot of people hated cata dungeons, it is exactly those dungeons I remember most and enjoy.
    Just like I still remember the old long dungeon crawls of blackfathom deeps, sunken temple and so forth.
    Now dungeons are just bite size chunks of content that you speed through and mostly forget.
    There are a few that are memorable since cata but for the most part they are forgettable.
    But as someone else said, those things were needed as time went on and the game evolved and the decline was inevitable.
    The game as it was originally designed was a natural extension of WC3 and having that entire world experience leading up to Wrath is a one time deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendrith View Post
    I think it's perfectly fine to have an opinion that this game has too many buttons... but if you're doing PvE and you never use your interrupts or defensives, that is bad.
    LFR is PvE too.
    As are dungeons that are not m+.
    Also technically levelling and outdoor content falls under PvE as well.
    Not too hard to do all that without that stuff (though honestly i do not know why you would).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

"I love the Warcraft universe and lore, they can do no wrong with this".

This lasted until late Legion, the final patch is where things started to get bad and in BFA I just lost interest completely. They had a great foundation and worked some magic into the game and it just took a nose dive real fast, weather that was the replacement of old writers or they just took a new direction. It fell apart rapidly.
    I can't even bring myself to bother reading quest text at this point.

I thought legion was rock bottom. It could in fact fall further.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I meet them every time I try to pug. People are horrible at the game. I'm doing +22-25s and they can't avoid avoidable damage, you die from the avoidable damage in these key levels.
    Which begs the question of how such bad players, with a presumably horrible r.io, managed to get their way into a 22+ key...

Leading up to legion: "World quests sound like ffxiv and GW2 zone quests, and AB will probably refine them to be even better!"

"Classic will not hold long term interest"

"It would be fun to be a WoW dev/tester"

That last one is probably my biggest oof.

BFA is the worst expansion
    The greater the light, the darker the shadow. And this light casts a shadow over all I see - the Prophet Velen, when asked what's next for Blizzard