Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Cataclysm Classic goes against the original intended reason for Classic

EDIT: folks, the thread is 10 pages long, maybe you could read past the OP? It's been an active, exciting, fun thread! There's lots of great discussion and even better, plenty of people who have accused myself and others of not being actual, original Cata players. I'd like to go ahead and squash that now (for me at least) with this bit I just wrote in a comment on page 10:

You'd think these people could take one look at my join date to MMO-C, a website that's historically been 98% WoW and figure out that I've at least been in the game since WotLK - I can say I happily joined in mid-TBC, Jan 2008. Then I lurked on MMO-C for some time in 2009 before finally creating an account. People don't like considering the fact that the expansion that STARTED with the highest number of subs (i.e. really those were Wrath holdover, assuming Cata was going to be just as good, because at that point WoW had never had a bad expansion before, crazy thought) actually then lost a substantial amount of subs and, shock, God forbid some of those people are here among us RIGHT. NOW.
    Anyway, back to your originally scheduled original post:

The original reason most ever asked for "classic/Vanilla" realms, was because we lost the old zones and, at least in the case of early Wrath and prior, less LFD/LFR implementation/ no LFR.

Unless they do something substantial, I really personally don't see the reason for Cata Classic, though I guess ultimately it can be a way for people to live/relive Cataclysm, if they so please, but let's be real, Cata was the start of the overall downfall.

I can't help but say I'd love a second chance to play MoP during the expansion, as there was a lot of fun during it, but I missed most of it.

How are you all hoping Blizzard treats Cata "in a classic way"?
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2022-10-06 at 03:05 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The reason for Classic is that people wanna play older versions of WoW which dont exist anymore. Mostly because new versions of WoW suck.
    And since you cant just install Cata and play it you need either Blizzard or some private server team to set up a Cata server.

Yes, the old world was better than the new Cata version but who cares? Everybody has every class at 70 anyway. Whats important is the endgame content.

Also you would like a MoP Classic but Cata is a no-no? Pretty selfish and entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Yes, the old world was better than the new Cata version
    how could anyone say this unironicaly?i mean sure,an argument could be made for a few,but in most cases the changed ones were way better for multiple reasons,layout,design,graphics,story flow,quest structure

for example,how is old tanaris better than new one? or silverpine,hillsbrand,i have a ton of nostalgia for old hillsbrand,but i know for a fact the revamp changed it for the far better

The reason for Classic is that people wanna play older versions of WoW which dont exist anymore.
    This.

Yes, the old world was better than the new Cata version but who cares?
    I do

Everybody has every class at 70 anyway. Whats important is the endgame content.
    Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    how could anyone say this unironicaly?
    You answered your own question.

the changed ones were way better for multiple reasons,layout,design,graphics,story flow,quest structure
    Not everyone gives a shit about that.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Not everyone gives a shit about that.
    so...just the nostalgia?lol

I think you could make cataclysm a lot more classic by just implementing something similar to retail's chromie time where you can transition to an older version of a zone so as to not actually just full on delete the old world this time around and by continuing to not have things like LFD/LFR. As for the actual raids and pvp in cataclysm overall it was pretty good with the sore spot being Dragon Soul being both too easy and being out too long. With proper pacing overall Cata would be pretty good with those changes to keep it more in line with what classic is about.

I would also rather just be playing MoP or Wotlk so its awkward that cata is right between them but its not a bad expansion by any means. I think they could continue on with this train of thought through mists of pandaria but I think the line is probably drawn there. They'll have to do something pretty big after that point because I'm pretty sure nobody is really trying to relive what they did to us in WoD
    Last edited by Erolian; 2022-09-19 at 01:01 AM.

so...just the nostalgia?lol
    Nostalgia?

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
    I had to go Google it, yep that sounds about right. People want it the way it was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. And you know the thing with nostalgia is that because they like it the way it was it becomes a matter of opinion of whether or not it (the changes) is "better".
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

The reason for Classic is that people wanna play older versions of WoW which dont exist anymore...

....And since you cant just install Cata and play it you need either Blizzard or some private server team to set up a Cata server.

This. This is the purpose of Classic. Because...duh.

Thanks for telling us the reason you thought the purpose of Classic was, OP.

Traditionally, going back and playing old games has always been possible in gaming. The market for "retro"gaming is huge. To re-play the classics you played growing up, if you will.

With MMO's, that's unfortunately not been previously possible due to how the world and game are persistently changing. Classic WoW, and private servers, were a way to re-play the game as it was back then.

About every 3 years or so, I replay the Metal Gear Solid series. I'll totally start fresh in GTA IV or V and play through it all over again. It's awesome.. If I pop in Goldeneye, or Doom, or Metal Gear Solid, or any Mario classic, I get to play the game exactly as it was back then. This is why the #NoChanges crowd have been so adamant about changes. Once you change the game too much, you're no longer playing the game as it was back then.

With all that said, I liked Cata. For me, it was the last decent expansion. I would love to re-play it again as it was back in 2010. I can't wait to experience the dungeons, T11 ,reforging, Firelands, the Molten Front, etc..., again. There's more to the game than just a re-vamped world. The state the game was in during the Cataclysm era is wildly different than today.
    Last edited by ablib; 2022-09-19 at 01:28 AM.

Don't be a retail Andy to people that want Cata. They hated Classic and wanted to prevent it. You might not like Cata, but let it roll for those that want to do it. If it fails it fails. If it works out it works out. Really not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    If I pop in Goldeneye

I kind of want to play it now
    My Collection

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The original reason most ever asked for "classic/Vanilla" realms, was because we lost the old zones and, at least in the case of early Wrath and prior, less LFD/LFR implementation/ no LFR.

Unless they do something substantial, I really personally don't see the reason for Cata Classic, though I guess ultimately it can be a way for people to live/relive Cataclysm, if they so please, but let's be real, Cata was the start of the overall downfall.

I can't help but say I'd love a second chance to play MoP during the expansion, as there was a lot of fun during it, but I missed most of it.

here's my viewpoint on things, 'classic' through to 'WOTLK' is the first 'era' of WoW, it was the golden age of the game and it will soon be available in its entirety to anyone who wants to play it again, however cataclysm is the true end point of the 'classic' era, it was the last time there was any proper skill trees, it was the last time there was any proper social interaction, it was the last time there was actual proper raiding as such (yes i'm aware that 4.3 brought the first incarnation of LFR but it was there purely as an experiment to test if it worked and if there was a market for it), it was also the last time that crafting really meant anything in the game outside of artificial bullshit blizz tried to tack onto an already obsolete system, so if they end on cataclysm, i think that would be the perfect cap off point.

Wrath was the start of the overall downfall. Wrath destroyed everything that made classic classic, it's recognizably retail WoW.

Cataclysm was just more of Wrath, with a brief attempt to return to slow paced dungeons at the start that they had to backtrack on.

how could anyone say this unironicaly?i mean sure,an argument could be made for a few,but in most cases the changed ones were way better for multiple reasons,layout,design,graphics,story flow,quest structure

for example,how is old tanaris better than new one? or silverpine,hillsbrand,i have a ton of nostalgia for old hillsbrand,but i know for a fact the revamp changed it for the far better
    it ruined alot of nice zones (darkshore, thousand needles etc), not to mentioned the new quests took away some of the old questing gear, making them unobtainable (like the purple pirate cloth chest from dustwallow marsh)

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alternative WoW after the Lich King falls.

That´s what I´d hope for.

does it?
    original reason to release classic was to get money, cata will be released to get money... seems the reason is still the same

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makaloff View Post
    it ruined alot of nice zones (darkshore, thousand needles etc), not to mentioned the new quests took away some of the old questing gear, making them unobtainable (like the purple pirate cloth chest from dustwallow marsh)
    im not saying some zones are not worse (though i would struggle to find one that wasnt improved imo), but thousand needles?! it is "meh" now, but it was AWFUL before cata...

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really.

The intended reason behind Classic as project, is to experience a version of WoW, that no longer is playable. The prime target of this was Vanilla, but as we are about to get Classic Wrath, it is obvious that there is a good reason to do Classic for nearly every WoW expansion, if there is an interest in it.

Because Classic gives you the chance to experience something rather unique, the life-span of an expansion as it is current. Doing raids as they come out, doing content in the gear designed for it and playing classes widely different for how they got changed over time.

That is worth trying in my opinion and why i think that there is a very good reason to do something like Classic Cata, and maybe even Classsic WoD. There are good things in nearly every expansion and i would gladly dive into any classic expansion to experience that.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Of course its against. Not only it was the moment the map changed, its also when WoW started it downfall. Makes no sense to go beyond Wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Alternative WoW after the Lich King falls.

That´s what I´d hope for.
    That would be cool. Game went downhill in story and everything else after Wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    here's my viewpoint on things, 'classic' through to 'WOTLK' is the first 'era' of WoW, it was the golden age of the game and it will soon be available in its entirety to anyone who wants to play it again, however cataclysm is the true end point of the 'classic' era, it was the last time there was any proper skill trees, it was the last time there was any proper social interaction, it was the last time there was actual proper raiding as such (yes i'm aware that 4.3 brought the first incarnation of LFR but it was there purely as an experiment to test if it worked and if there was a market for it), it was also the last time that crafting really meant anything in the game outside of artificial bullshit blizz tried to tack onto an already obsolete system, so if they end on cataclysm, i think that would be the perfect cap off point.
    Brilliant said. You explained in a perfect way.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post

That would be cool. Game went downhill in story and everything else after Wrath.
    While i will defend the right for Classic Cata to be a thing, i would any day choose a "rewrite" of the story after Wrath any time over original Cata.

It could be really fun and make some of the characters lost in the revamp of Azeroth be able to get their redemption in the story.

But then again, if it is a rewrite by the current WoW story people, im not sure it will end up much better really.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Cata being called the downfall while having the highest sub numbers of all time and even at its lowest point towered over classic and Tbc.

Now cry about ´´ but but but waaaaaah cata lost player waaaaaaah´´

Also I say it again and again, woltk and cata are more similiar then woltk and vanilla. If you hate cata game design, and like woltk, you are not having a objective opinion you are just a lowly hypocrite

LOL, the vast majority of us that love Classic, could give 2 shits about the old world and leveling. It is still about Endgame to us and 1-60 means nothing, especially now that we have WOTLK. If they ever do introduce the LFD tool that is like it was in original WOTLK then we will care even less because we will do what we have all done and Dungeon Q to max level. I have not once leveled a character via questing since LFD was released and good riddance, I despise questing and leveling in general. I don't know what the old zones look like nor do I know what the new ones look like since I have not touched leveling a character in the world since TBC. Hell the closest thing i have gotten to leveling or questing was to run around and skin, herb, or mine to level a profession.
    Last edited by schwank05; 2022-09-19 at 01:14 PM.