Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hellraiser 2022 (HULU)

They keep trying to resurrect this franchise. Hopefully with Clive Barker on board they can get it right. Female pinhead though... Nobody can top Doug and I guess he can't do the role forever. Just don't screw this chance up.

"The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Really enjoyed the first two hell raisers and the 3rd was watchable if not good, the 4th checked me out of the series so hopefully this will be closer to the first couple in quality.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

What's next, female Freddy Krueger? o.O

Will watch it regardless, I'm a sucker for all things Clive Barker.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-09-20 at 06:56 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Freedy would be a bit off that he’s one person where Pinhead makes a kind of sense given that the demon and the human are two separate aspects that fuse to make one whole and hopefully they will play into that and give some back story on the human part just like hell raiser 2-3 did.

Or I suppose they could go the comic route where it’s always one pin head through out all of history who just changes form based on the period.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

As long as she is more menacing that the guy they got to replace Doug in the "direct to video" Hellraisers (is direct to video a thing anymore now that we have streaming?)
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    As long as she is more menacing that the guy they got to replace Doug in the "direct to video" Hellraisers (is direct to video a thing anymore now that we have streaming?)
    The equivalent is direct to streaming
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it IS - but I think more a "replacement for." All the "direct to video" movies are now just ....direct to streaming. But at least the quality from the "Direct to Streaming" movies are more varied and you can actually get some good ones in there. The "Direct to video" movies are all....Bad B Grade at best (at least all the ones I've ever watched - not just Hellraiser ones lol).

I'm fine with Pinhead being a female. Multiple ways this could work in-universe and it certainly doesn't surprise me that Barker would be fine with a gender-swap (if you even want to call it that, I'm not sure I do.)

If this goes South it won't be the female vs male parts that do that - but whether the writing and plot are any good at all.

I have hope because I want it to be good! I'm a HUGE Hellraiser/Pinhead fan, one of my first beloved horror franchises I grew up with. But I have little faith because...well..remake history speaks for itself.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    This franchise has seen a lot of sequels and, personally, I feel like this is a franchise that can either not work in today's social climate... or it can work very well, if also done very well.

Personally the 2nd and 3rd ones are my favorite.

They keep trying to resurrect this franchise. Hopefully with Clive Barker on board they can get it right. Female pinhead though... Nobody can top Doug and I guess he can't do the role forever. Just don't screw this chance up.

It's closer to the source material this way.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/editori...raiser-reboot/

In the source material, Barker’s novella The Hellbound Heart, all of the Cenobites were extremely androgynous. Pinhead is described as having a girlish voice and each of the nails in his skull are topped with glistening jewels.

“Its voice, unlike that of its companion, was light and breathy-the voice of an excited girl. Every inch of its head had been tattooed with an intricate grid, and at every intersection of horizontal and vertical axes a jeweled pin driven through to the bone. Its tongue was similarly decorated.”
    Frank had difficulty guessing the speaker’s gender with any certainty. Its clothes, some of which were sewn to and through its skin, hid its private parts, and there was nothing in the dregs of its voice, or in its willfully disfigured features that offered the least clue. When it spoke, the hooks that transfixed the flaps of its eyes and were wed, by an intricate system of chains passed through flesh and bone alike, to similar hooks through the lower lip, were teased by the motion, exposing the glistening meat beneath.”
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Personally the 2nd and 3rd ones are my favorite.
    3 for sure, nothing beats Jadzia Dax beating the fuck out of demons and yelling obscenities.

If, they are following the comic books which were good, not great some stinkers, and this female Pinhead ends up being Kirsty from the first film. Where she ends up taking up the mantle of Pinhead to save her loved ones, and now we see her having to deal with this new situation and her role in Hell. Then I think we might have something, I'm not holding my breath though.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

I'm ok with changes like this as long as it makes sense and simply just not an idiot trying to make a political statement while having no creativity to be political on their own merit(like creating new characters)
    "Uh huh. So destroying southshore is meh, but camp cow is so important that you have to destroy a port city?" - Sunlily

FOR THE DARK ORDER!

Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    If, they are following the comic books which were good, not great some stinkers, and this female Pinhead ends up being Kirsty from the first film. Where she ends up taking up the mantle of Pinhead to save her loved ones, and now we see her having to deal with this new situation and her role in Hell. Then I think we might have something, I'm not holding my breath though.
    It's not a sequel...it's a reboot.

Hellraiser is an upcoming American supernatural horror film directed by David Bruckner, with a screenplay by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowski, from a screen story they co-wrote with David S. Goyer. Intended to serve as a new adaptation of the 1986 novella The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, which served as the basis for Barker's 1987 film Hellraiser, it is a reboot of the titular franchise and the eleventh installment overall.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen Guest View Post
    I'm ok with changes like this as long as it makes sense and simply just not an idiot trying to make a political statement while having no creativity to be political on their own merit(like creating new characters)
    As I previously psted...it's actually more accurate to the source material than the first movie.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Doug Bradley and I share the same birthday. I was wearing my Doug Bradley shirt on my birthday while in line at a horror film festival. The woman in front of me saw my shirt and yelped it was Doug Bradley's birthday. I smiled and said it was my birthday too. She laughed like a maniac, ran out of the line, and came back with Doug Bradley & two other people. I then took a photo with Doug Bradley wearing a shirt with his face on it on our shared birthday.

This trailer was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's not a sequel...it's a reboot.
    Going down in flames before it even takes off from the runway. Gotcha.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    Going down in flames before it even takes off from the runway. Gotcha.
    Better than picking up where the movies left off....

If you know Clive barkers work you'd know that pinhead is not male or female. Nice attempt at outrage though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    As I previously psted...it's actually more accurate to the source material than the first movie.
    So, here is a fun fact that I am certain no one is going to believe, but I am going to share anyway.

I used to work at the oldest comic book shop called Golden Age Collectables in Seattle (In the Pike Place Market). This was back in 90-93, and I was the staff manager at the time. The owners wife had started a store up the hall called "Collectors Books". It specialized first editions, mostly for fantasy, sci fi, and... horror. We sold a lot of first editions of Barker's work.

We had Clive Barker in for signings several times over the three years I worked there. Four if I am recalling correctly. And after each signing when he was in town, the owners would take him and the staff out for a really nice dinner at an upscale restaurant, and we'd sit around and get just have conversations with him and he'd do sketches with a sharpie marker (somewhere, I still have a cloth napkin with a doodle he did of an eyeball walking a dog). It was a very cool time in my life, as I got to hobnob and have dinner with people like Barker, Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett (when they released Good Omens), George Takei, as well as a good number of comic artists and writers. But, I digress.

This point you make here? This actually DID come up during one of those dinners during conversation. Someone had asked him about regrets with anything he'd done in Hollywood when it came to the source material vs. the film version. And he'd made mention of his regret not having pushed harder for a female lead as Pinhead, because it's how he wrote the character with a much stronger feminine presence. The studio had felt that the character being male would be more sinister, yada yada yada... though he was happy with how Doug Bradley had played the character, it wasn't how he had envisioned it. So this lends credence to the choice made here in casting. Honestly, I think it will be really interesting. There is a touch of paraphrasing here, because I was somewhat tangential to the conversation, and it was 30 years ago (Christ almighty >.<)

People will need to get past the idea of it being a gender-swap and appreciate that this is how the character was really supposed to be portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    So, here is a fun fact that I am certain no one is going to believe, but I am going to share anyway.

I used to work at the oldest comic book shop called Golden Age Collectables in Seattle (In the Pike Place Market). This was back in 90-93, and I was the staff manager at the time. The owners wife had started a store up the hall called "Collectors Books". It specialized first editions, mostly for fantasy, sci fi, and... horror. We sold a lot of first editions of Barker's work.

We had Clive Barker in for signings several times over the three years I worked there. Four if I am recalling correctly. And after each signing when he was in town, the owners would take him and the staff out for a really nice dinner at an upscale restaurant, and we'd sit around and get just have conversations with him and he'd do sketches with a sharpie marker (somewhere, I still have a cloth napkin with a doodle he did of an eyeball walking a dog). It was a very cool time in my life, as I got to hobnob and have dinner with people like Barker, Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett (when they released Good Omens), George Takei, as well as a good number of comic artists and writers. But, I digress.

This point you make here? This actually DID come up during one of those dinners during conversation. Someone had asked him about regrets with anything he'd done in Hollywood when it came to the source material vs. the film version. And he'd made mention of his regret not having pushed harder for a female lead as Pinhead, because it's how he wrote the character with a much stronger feminine presence. The studio had felt that the character being male would be more sinister, yada yada yada... though he was happy with how Doug Bradley had played the character, it wasn't how he had envisioned it. So this lends credence to the choice made here in casting. Honestly, I think it will be really interesting. There is a touch of paraphrasing here, because I was somewhat tangential to the conversation, and it was 30 years ago (Christ almighty >.<)

People will need to get past the idea of it being a gender-swap and appreciate that this is how the character was really supposed to be portrayed.
    I believe it.

Also, whenever I'm in Downtown Vancouver...I usually stop in to the Canadian Golden Age Collectables...which I have just found out is a sister store to the one in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    I believe it, see no reason not too. And I don't contest the idea of pinhead being female. However I do understand people's concerns. Because lately we see a lot of swapping of any kind really and often it becomes the focus and then the show is bad because of that focus.

So even if it's canon I understand the concern where it comes from. If the "change" is made for authentic reasons it will probably turn out well. But even if it is canon it isn't necessarily the reason to change it for whoever is running the show, they might have other reasons, then it'll probably turn out bad because priorities are somewhere else.
    Error 404 - Signature not found