Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Release Date for Dragonflight speculation thread?

Is there a release date speculation thread buried somewhere? Or can we start here? I need to schedule my PTO for launch, boss is tapping his feet waiting.
    Thanks.
    I AM JOSS

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a "leak" a little while ago that states the pre-patch for October 25th and the release of DragonFlight on Nov. 28th. We'll see, but seems plausible.

I thought that the Dragonflight speculation thread has already been released

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffernut View Post
    There was a "leak" a little while ago that states the pre-patch for October 25th and the release of DragonFlight on Nov. 28th. We'll see, but seems plausible.
    Hell no, too early. I assume it's december tbh.
    I'm still surprised that 2022 is their endgoal, while we all expected them to release it in 2023.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I'm still surprised that 2022 is their endgoal, while we all expected them to release it in 2023.
    Yeah but they were much much further than anyone expected

Targeted testing is making things faster

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post

Yeah, but in the other hand if you look at it in terms of "how many PTR/beta builds remain until release" even a late december release feels short given the current state of spec trees. It's just a data point and maybe that class/spec is an outlier but sub rogues are a bit too broken atm for serious pvp testing (shadowstep doesn't work, multiple talents are broken or not implemented).

The latest announced rogue talents changes are not all implemented yet, they did warn us it would happen but it does means that their window of time to implement changes and have them in the next build is probably pretty tight (they probably freeze the next build early in the week to make sure they have time to fix any showstopper issue that would render the build untestable).
    I'm also assuming that PTR and beta builds are in sync (and why wouldn't they be? It's likely a lot easier to have both be the exact same build, just with dragonflight access disabled on the PTR through server side configuration files)

So if it means that it may take up to two weeks for player feedback motivated changes to appear in a build, those few remaining weeks (how many those may be depending on when they release) seem even shorter.

So I really doubt the "end of November" release notion. It may very well what their plans were at the time it leaked but leaks just reflect plans at a frozen point in time, and plans change.

And anyway i think it's safe to expect that class balance will be a clown show on release day. They are making sweeping changes that will not have enough time to be properly tested, like the pvp CC duration reduction. There will be a lot of hot fixes after release.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-09-22 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Yeah, but in the other hand if you look at it in terms of "how many PTR/beta builds remain until release" even a late december release feels short given the current state of spec trees. It's just a data point and maybe that class/spec is an outlier but sub rogues are a bit too broken atm for serious pvp testing (shadowstep doesn't work, multiple talents are broken or not implemented).

The latest announced rogue talents changes are not all implemented yet, they did warn us it would happen but it does means that their window of time to implement changes and have them in the next build is probably pretty tight (they probably freeze the next build early in the week to make sure they have time to fix any showstopper issue that would render the build untestable).
    I'm also assuming that PTR and beta builds are in sync (and why wouldn't they be? It's likely a lot easier to have both be the exact same build, just with dragonflight access disabled on the PTR through server side configuration files)

So if it means that it may take up to two weeks for player feedback motivated changes to appear in a build, those few remaining weeks (how many those may be depending on when they release) seem even shorter.

So I really doubt the "end of November" release notion. It may very well what their plans were at the time it leaked but leaks just reflect plans at a frozen point in time, and plans change.

And anyway i think it's safe to expect that class balance will be a clown show on release day. They are making sweeping changes that will not have enough time to be properly tested, like the pvp CC duration reduction. There will be a lot of hot fixes after release.
    Classes have never ever been "finished" before an expansion release. Because every persons opinion on finished is different according to what they like and want in their class. And they have just posted in a blue post that they are transitioning over to tuning and bug fixing so class design is not gonna happen anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Arkura View Post
    Classes have never ever been "finished" before an expansion release. Because every persons opinion on finished is different according to what they like and want in their class. And they have just posted in a blue post that they are transitioning over to tuning and bug fixing so class design is not gonna happen anymore
    True, but then there's also absurd balance issues that are objectively wrong. Like i don't think it's really subjective to say "kyrian sub rogues shouldn't one shot everybody" and yet it happened at SL release. And I'm saying this as a sub rogue who gleefully took advantage of the fact.

That's the kind of issue I'm expecting when I say it'll be a clown show. The new talent system offers tons of possible permutations and it seems unlikely that there will be enough testing coverage to be confident that there won't be a few absurdly overpowered combinations that will only be discovered after release.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-09-27 at 10:36 AM.

Quite a few things are not at all ready. E.g. the profession system is very much dependent on the crafting order auctions to work fully and that system is not yet implemented. The UI itself is not ready (or at least not hooked properly to the NPCs) and this is the kind of system that is guaranteed to not work well until a lot of testing goes through (even the much more minor Auction House changes took a fair while until they'd work properly). The beta is fairly unstable but that is probably just the Dragonriding bug. Beyond that I can tell you I've spend many hours testing the profession system and reporting bugs and there were many bugs (from an entire specialization being improperly hooked and inaccessible to a profession not even able to gain knowledge). And with Blizzard pretty much saying we are only getting normal ilvl gear from professions without doing dungeons/raids and with raids having higher ilvl loot, I really don't see the point on making the crazy time and gold investment professions require. So maybe they need to rethink a few aspects of profession progression.

They can probably make it in time but expect some things to not work properly for release.

- - - Updated - - -

There are different levels of unfinished though. E.g. BfA was on a league of its own at being a mess. I think almost every spec is at least functional right now. In some I think their design is faulty but every expansion that had heavy class redesigns (MoP and Legion) also showed that the devs were committed to iterate heavily in patches

If its going to release in 2022, there aren't really that many other options. December is risky, if there's any major issues they might not have enough time to fix them before the holidays. Earlier is unlikely to be manageable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Snowball's chance in hell it releases late November leak or not.

I am playing beta, you have many abilities not even working properly or AT ALL currently. This is even besides the dragonriding DCs and what not.

And they are only starting raid testing too. At very very best I can see this be ready late December.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Snowball's chance in hell it releases late November leak or not.

I am playing beta, you have many abilities not even working properly or AT ALL currently. This is even besides the dragonriding DCs and what not.

And they are only starting raid testing too. At very very best I can see this be ready late December.
    We need 3 months of testing 6-7 bosses and class balancing/bug fixing. Its still september you know. I cant say for sure but what I can say is that an expansion will never release late december, thats just never gonna happen. So its either late november, early to mid december at the most or a delay. And I dont see another delay happening tbh. Then they should have seen it already that they couldnt make it in time.

Its still september you know.
    If the game releases end of November, it would mean there are 8 beta builds until release, and 6 or less until the prepatch (if we assume the later they'll release the prepatch would be 2 weeks before)

That's not a whole lot of fixing/player testing cycles.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need 3 months of testing 6-7 bosses and class balancing/bug fixing. Its still september you know. I cant say for sure but what I can say is that an expansion will never release late december, thats just never gonna happen. So its either late november, early to mid december at the most or a delay. And I dont see another delay happening tbh. Then they should have seen it already that they couldnt make it in time.
    Bruh, you have core abilities in Warlock tree literally not working at all, as in not implemented right now in Beta or bugged to hell. Even Evoker has some glaring bugs now (Catalyze/Burnout/Deep Breath and so on) and it came first. Your spells occasionally can do nothing at all, most notably Deep Breath suspending you in air for 5 seconds and doing nothing.

You have dungeons that almost unplayable unless you know specifically how to avoid bugs like Nokhud Offensive. You can perma brick Academy dungeon during the game part by popping a wrong spell.

Dragonfying into the ground at incorrect angle has chance to DC you right now.

You can perma brick your UI by changing UI elements and what not.

And you tell me they gonna ship this in 2 months from now flat? Even before hell knows what issues they will uncover during raid testing?

kkbruh.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-09-27 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Bruh, you have core abilities in Warlock tree literally not working at all, as in not implemented right now in Beta or bugged to hell. Even Evoker has some glaring bugs now (Catalyze/Burnout/Deep Breath and so on) and it came first. Your spells occasionally can do nothing at all, most notably Deep Breath suspending you in air for 5 seconds and doing nothing.

You have dungeons that almost unplayable unless you know specifically how to avoid bugs like Nokhud Offensive. You can perma brick Academy dungeon during the game part by popping a wrong spell.

Dragonfying into the ground at incorrect angle has chance to DC you right now.

And you tell me they gonna ship this in 2 months from now flat? Even before hell knows what issues they will uncover during raid testing?

kkbruh.
    These honestly do not sound like issues that are impossible to fix in 2 months. I'd go as far as saying that on their internal builds, those might already be fixed already.
    If bugfixing is the only thing left, it is pretty close to finish. And let's not forget that pre-patch usually gives a FUCKTON more feedback for bugs and issues, since everyone HAS to play it, unlike with beta

What makes you think youre right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Quite a few things are not at all ready. E.g. the profession system is very much dependent on the crafting order auctions to work fully and that system is not yet implemented. The UI itself is not ready (or at least not hooked properly to the NPCs) and this is the kind of system that is guaranteed to not work well until a lot of testing goes through (even the much more minor Auction House changes took a fair while until they'd work properly). The beta is fairly unstable but that is probably just the Dragonriding bug. Beyond that I can tell you I've spend many hours testing the profession system and reporting bugs and there were many bugs (from an entire specialization being improperly hooked and inaccessible to a profession not even able to gain knowledge). And with Blizzard pretty much saying we are only getting normal ilvl gear from professions without doing dungeons/raids and with raids having higher ilvl loot, I really don't see the point on making the crazy time and gold investment professions require. So maybe they need to rethink a few aspects of profession progression.

They can probably make it in time but expect some things to not work properly for release.

- - - Updated - - -

There are different levels of unfinished though. E.g. BfA was on a league of its own at being a mess. I think almost every spec is at least functional right now. In some I think their design is faulty but every expansion that had heavy class redesigns (MoP and Legion) also showed that the devs were committed to iterate heavily in patches
    I don't understand the complaints with the professions
    "We can't get higher gear so why bother"
    Because of the gold
    Mythic raiders will pay for a crafter to make their gear with perfect stats and over time use the items from the raid to upgrade them via recrafting.

It's an investment to get to that point but that's how it goes. The system is designed around the people that use professions for profit not around Mythic Marvin who wants a way to use his alt for side gear. "My Mythic piece is the lowest quality oh noooo." OK boost your professions and get the knowledge points then recraft

I don't understand the complaints with the professions
    "We can't get higher gear so why bother"
    Because of the gold
    Mythic raiders will pay for a crafter to make their gear with perfect stats and over time use the items from the raid to upgrade them via recrafting.

It's an investment to get to that point but that's how it goes. The system is designed around the people that use professions for profit not around Mythic Marvin who wants a way to use his alt for side gear. "My Mythic piece is the lowest quality oh noooo." OK boost your professions and get the knowledge points then recraft
    But Mythic raiders will not pay crafters to get them gear when four raid bosses drop HIGHER ilvl gear. Also the main point was that this was advertised as a progression track.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But Mythic raiders will not pay crafters to get them gear when four raid bosses drop HIGHER ilvl gear.
    They most definitely will if they can get them that gear quicker.