View Poll Results: Should BoP Items change to BoA/BtS ?

Voters
131. This poll is closed
  • Hell yeah

43 32.82%
  • Fuck no

61 46.56%
  • Maybe if they didn't screw it up

27 20.61%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Everything BOP should be BOA

This was a successful venture in a few other MMOs, and I feel like it could make a small QoL upgrade in WoW. Not everything you loot is usable by an alt; however, there are the occasional items that could be useful to hand off to alts, encouraging extended game play on those characters. How many times have new crafting mats continued to drop on your main that your alt still needs to farm? Or currency.

Wouldn't it be nice to make all currency account wide so all characters can add to and take from the same currency pool? What if you need Badges from Timewalking for an alt? Or maybe you want to let your main use every Darkmoon Faire ticket you have spread over a dozen characters? There is no harm in changing specific items from Soulbound to Bind on Account. You would actually log into that alt more often and not spend so much time staring at items that would have worked better on your Paladin or Hunter that just serve no purpose for a mage.

You have already taken the time to earn it. You should benefit from its existence. It's not like you will raid gear an alt in a day simply by switching to BoA since your loot table is already set to your current Class/Spec. There isn't a single downfall to this, and if nothing else, would keep people subbed longer to play alts since they could now use things which have been BoP since Wrath, and crafted items which are BoP could now be sold to the public, or even to alts. Worst case scenario, make it all BoA on that specific server. My Proudmoore characters could use anything from another Proudmoore character, but maybe my Medivh characters can only tap other Medivh characters. Maybe instead of BoA it becomes BtS (Binds to Server).

Of course it's a pipedream, but what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by OMGTwitchTV; 2022-09-20 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

there are literaly hundrets of small little QoL changes they could make that would be a small or even a large benefit,but...wow still doesnt have actual player housing,they dont even care about a major feature that would be extremly popular like transmog if not more

Nah.

I feel like there's a difference between alt friendliness and.... whatever this is.

Grinding the same quests on multiple characters is boring. You should be able to unlock some catch-up stuff with your main. But straight up getting raid gear for your healer priest by playing your warrior tank is just.... Too far in my opinion. Play the priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Nah.

I feel like there's a difference between alt friendliness and.... whatever this is.

Grinding the same quests on multiple characters is boring. You should be able to unlock some catch-up stuff with your main. But straight up getting raid gear for your healer priest by playing your warrior tank is just.... Too far in my opinion. Play the priest.
    I for one would prefer for my time to be respected. If I obtain priest loot on one character I would like to be to actually use it and not have to grind for it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    This was a successful venture in a few other MMOs, and I feel like it could make a small QoL upgrade in WoW. Not everything you loot is usable by an alt; however, there are the occasional items that could be useful to hand off to alts, encouraging extended game play on those characters. How many times have new crafting mats continued to drop on your main that your alt still needs to farm? Or currency.

Wouldn't it be nice to make all currency account wide so all characters can add to and take from the same currency pool? What if you need Badges from Timewalking for an alt? Or maybe you want to let your main use every Darkmoon Faire ticket you have spread over a dozen characters? There is no harm in changing specific items from Soulbound to Bind on Account. You would actually log into that alt more often and not spend so much time staring at items that would have worked better on your Paladin or Hunter that just serve no purpose for a mage.

You have already taken the time to earn it. You should benefit from its existence. It's not like you will raid gear an alt in a day simply by switching to BoA since your loot table is already set to your current Class/Spec. There isn't a single downfall to this, and if nothing else, would keep people subbed longer to play alts since they could now use things which have been BoP since Wrath, and crafted items which are BoP could now be sold to the public, or even to alts. Worst case scenario, make it all BoA on that specific server. My Proudmoore characters could use anything from another Proudmoore character, but maybe my Medivh characters can only tap other Medivh characters. Maybe instead of BoA it becomes BtS (Binds to Server).

Of course it's a pipedream, but what are your thoughts?
    Honestly this ties in with the silent "What are our accounts' characters to eachother?" question that most refuse to entertain.

Are they secret buddies? Alter egos? Then this makes sense.
    Are they nothing to eachother? Then current account-wide stuff doesn't make either.
    So it's something between those extremes, my personal headcanon is that they are sort of like goof pen pals or something of the like; they can never share adventures and are each very different, but politics cannot intrude upon their friendship, and they happily share what they don't need between one another.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    The thing is that once you are geared out and have nothing left to raid, there's not much left to do beside /dance on top of a mailbox.

Gearing up is the entire purpose of WoW, so being able to hand off BoP pieces of loot to alts would make you play those alts less, not more.

I think there's a little nuance but would work with some tweaks with most loot being personal

I see no issue if your warrior main gets an upgrade and you decide to throw your old gear to your DK alt and I kinda think an alt character option could do well for personal loot (you play your warrior and you set an option to get helaing priest gear for your alt)

Only problem is the split run situation but at this point making it easier is probably better than making it harder since the people who do split runs are gonna do split runs regardless.

Also makes running old raids a little more useful since you can then get a full set of leveling gear for your alts if you so choose

Where does this mindset stop? Should leveling one class to level 70 automatically make all your other characters level 70?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I for one would prefer for my time to be respected. If I obtain priest loot on one character I would like to be to actually use it and not have to grind for it twice.
    I would prefer not obtaining priest loot on my warrior at all.

I'm curious where each person draws their line though. Like obviously nobody thinks you should be able to swap races on the fly, or classes, but like, with shared progress like that, do you think character levels should be account bound? It just waters the game down in my opinion. Like I'd be perfectly happy permanently locked into a single specialization, so long as i could queue as a mostly viable damage dealer in all specs. Mounts, toys, and transmog being account wide is weird enough imho.

Why have other characters at all of you dont want to progress as them?

To be honest, i would pay Blizz the double amount of sub cost, when they make everything (reps, quest campaign, etc) accountwide. BoP being BoA is then just a nitty gritty, i don’t even care if it exists.

as some heavy altoholic (not 10 alts low equipped, but 3 alts m+20/mythic full competitive equipped) i would pay 30 bucks a month, if i could switch classes like specs. If i would not dislike FFIV and it’s style, i would play it, just for that reason.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-09-21 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Where does this mindset stop? Should leveling one class to level 70 automatically make all your other characters level 70?
    Why is this a bad thing? Levelling stopped being a fun gameplay loop in of itself over a decade ago. It's only speedbump you have to slog through until you reach level cap, where the fun game that people actually want to play begins.

Should more stuff be BoA/account-wide? Absolutely. Reps, cosmetics, etc. should all go over to account-wide unlocks where they haven't already.

Should EVERYTHING that's currently BoP be BoA? Absolutely NOT.

You don't want to live in a world where the best way to gear your character is to run 10 alts of the same class to funnel gear. That is toxic design we should never ever have.

yeah, i would pay another 5 bucks per month, to not grind that leveling shit for 12 classes every xpac, tbh.

and i say this as someone that liked alt leveling much… in the first 2-3 xpacs. but after 17 years of uninterrupted wow sub… not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You don't want to live in a world where the best way to gear your character is to run 10 alts of the same class to funnel gear. That is toxic design we should never ever have.
    Why would people player 10 alts of the same class?

Why would people player 10 alts of the same class?
    .....there is absolutely a subset of players that would do it and you absolutely know that

There are some things that should be shared like grindy reps or things that are player specific not class specific.
    Reputations should be account wide, they are tedious grinds that arent fun to repeat. Gearing though should be character specific imo.

The core gameplay is defeating enemies and acquiring gear, that should be character specific. the secondary grinds should be account bound and imo soulbound crafting material should be account bound

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Honestly this ties in with the silent "What are our accounts' characters to eachother?" question that most refuse to entertain.

Are they secret buddies? Alter egos? Then this makes sense.
    Are they nothing to eachother? Then current account-wide stuff doesn't make either.
    So it's something between those extremes, my personal headcanon is that they are sort of like goof pen pals or something of the like; they can never share adventures and are each very different, but politics cannot intrude upon their friendship, and they happily share what they don't need between one another.
    This is one of the few things The Old Republic does really well. You have a "Legacy" that represents your account and the character relationships within it can be defined. Large extended family? Sure. Cross-faction polycule? Why not! Loose association of murderous acquaintance? Go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    .....there is absolutely a subset of players that would do it and you absolutely know that
    And people raiding on a class that they enjoy raiding on to gear up their other classes that they don't enjoy raiding on is bad... how? GW2 let's you do it. I don't see a problem here.

This is a videogame you're supposed to be playing for entertainment. It shouldn't be a second job.

Quote Originally Posted by fatgunn View Post
    This is one of the few things The Old Republic does really well. You have a "Legacy" that represents your account and the character relationships within it can be defined. Large extended family? Sure. Cross-faction polycule? Why not! Loose association of murderous acquaintance? Go ahead.
    Sounds exactly like something WoW needs
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

And people raiding on a class that they enjoy raiding on to gear up their other classes that they don't enjoy raiding on is bad... how? GW2 let's you do it. I don't see a problem here.

This is a videogame you're supposed to be playing for entertainment. It shouldn't be a second job.
    "It shouldn't be a second job"

Yet advocates for a system that would require you to need a server full of max level characters with max vaults every week to increase the chances of getting x item.

God val's shit takes never cease to amaze.