Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Probably took a full quarter for accounting to get finance to agree
    Or, more likely, it wasn't all that important to their bottom line. (Contrary to every 200+ page thread which equates the WoW token to the end of the world.)

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Or, more likely, it wasn't all that important to their bottom line. (Contrary to every 200+ page thread which equates the WoW token to the end of the world.)
    In part as the portfolio was enlarged, individual items merited less time in presentation so you had to be more succint with which ratios and numbers you'd present. The move to MAU is if I understand correctly, industry wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    A decent number of WoW players is opposed to everything about this game because they only care and only really play their instanced content. THey don't care about the world (they are annoyed they have to interact with it), they don't care about the story. ANything that diverts resources away from raids or these days, dungeons, is wasted effort to them. Heck anything that provides progression to anyone but them is wasted as well. .
    But housing isn't about progression...at all.

I kind of always wished that Khadgar decided to pull our garrison out of the AU and turned it into our own Dalaran-like floating island in the main universe. Even if this next expansion he was just like "Oh by the way...", it wouldn't be too out of character and would give a lot of opportunity for the property to be flexible in size, location, theme, and purpose. Since its a floating island it can follow us through the expansions too. Just make it more of a cosmetic thing or even let it focus on providing items from older expansions.

I definitely agree that garrisons absolutely isolated players and destroyed community interaction, but the devs continue to introduce items that further this exact problem. AH, transmog, respec, mailbox, bank, gbank, anvils, repairing and portals are widely available to players and remove the need of a major city. Anywhere can be a garrison now so they need to make new reasons for players to be in the major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidling View Post
    I kind of always wished that Khadgar decided to pull our garrison out of the AU and turned it into our own Dalaran-like floating island in the main universe. Even if this next expansion he was just like "Oh by the way...", it wouldn't be too out of character and would give a lot of opportunity for the property to be flexible in size, location, theme, and purpose. Since its a floating island it can follow us through the expansions too. Just make it more of a cosmetic thing or even let it focus on providing items from older expansions.

I definitely agree that garrisons absolutely isolated players and destroyed community interaction, but the devs continue to introduce items that further this exact problem. AH, transmog, respec, mailbox, bank, gbank, anvils, repairing and portals are widely available to players and remove the need of a major city. Anywhere can be a garrison now so they need to make new reasons for players to be in the major cities.
    I think part of the problem with housing is exactly that, how irrelevant the world outside the current expac is. In WoW the use of a house outside current content would be much more limited. Getting a house in e.g. Feralas would mean that even with a HS at your house you will still need to use another HS cooldown to get to current content. Forget about popping in and out when you want as you can in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    Okay, so, back in the WoD beta, there were supposed to be the two cities (Karabor and Bladespire). They got scrapped and we got Ashran instead. Folks complained about this.

And a few patches in the Garrisons proper came along. The original plan was that the garrisons weren't supposed to have access to Trade chat, forcing you back to the cities. This changed during the beta around the same time as the Ashran pushback came through. Which, well, in turn resulted in the WoD situation where there was no reason to leave the garrison.

Do note at the time it was early Ashran which was... Garrison buildings slapped around an island. Early Ashran was not good. So the pushback was understandable

I mean, you got it there. Stack the Jailer's action figure form up in the corner. Doing your house up like a comfy nice place. Put floating lamps in place to create a jumping puzzle. Creating a shrine to your favourite minor character. Basement sacrificial circle to resummon Ragnaros. Getting rare items from raids and achievements (Like, say, the few decorations we have for the garrison like the Gul'dan v Khadgar statue for AotC) you can put around your house to show off. Have somewhere you can just go to and unwind after your dailies to just, wind back and unwind. Give yourself an excuse to head back into the world to hunt down more recipies.

Bragging rights and a place that's uniquely Yours to tie you into the world more
    Sounds nice - but won't work. I believe while everybody is summoning Ragnaros in thier basement - they don't have the incentive to go out to explore the game. This literally gives the illusion of that you are alone in WoW. And if something is keeping WoW alive, is the sense of people are playing it.

We also had Trophies in garrisons - nobody gave anything about it. WoW is not the game for that - achivements is the trophy.

I think that a fully packed AH in Orgrimmar is more important, than any other feature. And I think housing works against it.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-04 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Can't be echoed more. The developers had a fountain of possibilities but fell short when they stumbled. It was very niche, very directed to a select group, very forced upon as well, "WAY TO GO CUPCAKE!" and they tried to sell the idea that Wildstar was to be - a bit like how people trying to sell Classic - meant to be "hard again".
    I'm going to go with "sold" classic. There's almost no one who would claim that classic is "hard" anymore, considering that even the showstopper bosses were downed within a few hours.

To be honest, though, I liked the "WAY TO GO CUPCAKE" humor that Wildstar had. If the game had taken the hardcore a bit more tongue in cheek rather than on the nose, then it would have been a much better game. I remember attuning myself for the first raid and those dungeons (Bosses -and- trash) were designed by sadists.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    To be honest, though, I liked the "WAY TO GO CUPCAKE" humor that Wildstar had. If the game had taken the hardcore a bit more tongue in cheek rather than on the nose, then it would have been a much better game. I remember attuning myself for the first raid and those dungeons (Bosses -and- trash) were designed by sadists.
    Limit Max, who came from WS after getting bored of WoW in MoP, has said a few times that WildStar would probably have been a much more popular game if had been released today instead of when it was. I never played it but the more that I read into it the more I think he's probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Limit Max, who came from WS after getting bored of WoW in MoP, has said a few times that WildStar would probably have been a much more popular game if had been released today instead of when it was. I never played it but the more that I read into it the more I think he's probably right.
    Honestly I'd agree with that. If they released it now with the -original- crafting and item design, I think people would eat it up for no other reason than it's a smack in the face to Blizzard's continual decline in quality (and removal of) humor.

Wildstar had the first enbie species, fer crissakes. AND its humor was never really sexual, just cartoon hyperviolence for laughs. Cassians were so damn uptight they couldn't have sex without a surgical removal of the sticks up their asses---that was funny as hell.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    What exactly do you want with a house in WoW? You want to put the jailers head on the wall? Show off pets in a cage? What is that you missing out on?

Sell me the idea.
    Me personaly, if we get a house. I want a place to decorate to reflect my progress in the game. A place i can showcase my collection. Many people, me included like collecting transmogs. But you can truly only ever use/show 1-2 weapons at the same time, 1 shoulder etc. So why not have a house with a armory to display your loot. have a wall where you can hang your favourite swords and another for maces etc. Have armor stands you can put armor on and stuff like this. This already exist in the game. The rogue orderhall had armor stands where tier sets were displayed as you unlocked them. So the technology already exist. They just need to fine tune in and make you able to display any piece

Do i want the jailer's head on my wall? No, not really, but his weapon or some other jailer trophy, sure. Mounted heads would be for animals etc and not Humanoids. Maybe a bust, that changed color based on difficulty. Something indicating you killed a certain boss

I don't need any of this, but these are some of the things i want if they ever do a housing system

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Me personaly, if we get a house. I want a place to decorate to reflect my progress in the game. A place i can showcase my collection. Many people, me included like collecting transmogs. But you can truly only ever use/show 1-2 weapons at the same time, 1 shoulder etc. So why not have a house with a armory to display your loot. have a wall where you can hang your favourite swords and another for maces etc. Have armor stands you can put armor on and stuff like this. This already exist in the game. The rogue orderhall had armor stands where tier sets were displayed as you unlocked them. So the technology already exist. They just need to fine tune in and make you able to display any piece

Do i want the jailer's head on my wall? No, not really, but his weapon or some other jailer trophy, sure. Mounted heads would be for animals etc and not Humanoids. Maybe a bust, that changed color based on difficulty. Something indicating you killed a certain boss

I don't need any of this, but these are some of the things i want if they ever do a housing system
    Do you think WoW trophies you can see - will replace the achievement earned?

I mean - achievements in WoW is pretty serious cultural aspect - and Blizzard got away nicely with it.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-04 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Yeah your 100% right, a billion dollar company needs to be coddled and pampered, they could fold at any moment.

Its laughable to even consider that thought.

There is pretty much only 1 reason why we don't have player housing; someone, somewhere, ran some numbers and decided it wasn't worth the cost, that's how business's work.

Why wasn't it worth the cost, well that's debatable, but probably related somehow to the player base.

But what is 100% for certain is that a billion dollar company can certainly find the resources to do something it really wants to do.
    Again, you keep saying this nonsese while continue to ignore "the budget" THey do not have the infinte resources you think they have no matter how much you part at over and over again.
    They have to adhere to the budget and there is no room to do player housing with out almost eating the entire budget. But hey, you want to continue with the stawman's so you aren't going to try to get that concept.

10+ Year Old Account

I mean - achievements in WoW is pretty serious cultural aspect - and Blizzard got away nicely with it.
    They don't have to replace them but some people might like the ability to display their feats instead of just showing the achievement panel?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Why does it have to replace them? We can have both

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Why does it have to replace them? We can have both
    They don't have to replace them but some people might like the ability to display their feats instead of just showing the achievement panel?
    OK - so answering the reply you gave me - you wanted to have trophies on the wall(you even rejected my funny idea of having the jailor heads on the wall). And I replied to you that we have achievement points.

Why do we need them trophies then(housing needs to do more than just that)? I think the price being paid here is too high.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-04 at 10:08 AM.

OK - so answering the reply you gave me - you wanted to have trophies on the wall(you even rejected my funny idea of having the jailor heads on the wall). And I replied to you that we have achievement points.

Why do we need them trophies then(housing needs to do more than just that)? I think the price being paid here is too high.
    I merely said what i wanted in a house tho. Not what everyone wants/needs and/or should be there

One of my all time favourite mods in skyrim is the Legacy of the Dragonborn. Which adds a museom to skyrim. One you fill up yourself. And filling those display stands and walls with items. I really enjoy it. So having that posibility in wow would give me several hundreds of hours of stuff to do. Now obviously it will never be like that in wow, as there are too many items and too many recolors etc. But just having a wall where you could display a selection of swords, axes etc. Would be better than nothing

Blizzard admitted that Garrison basically never reached the level of actual housing but is more of a stepping stone. And yes, housing does make sense in an MMORPG, especially when all your competitors have it already, haha.
    Just because all your friends decide to jump off a cliff, that makes it make sense?
    Housing in wow will always be instanced, so nobody will ever see it. And outside RP realms, what do you think people will use it for? Invite others over for teatime?
    Have the garrison assaults? It will be a nice flashy thing for a week or two and then dead on arrival.

But since i'm obvs not the target for housing, sell it. Show me how needed and invalueable housing is to wow and how wow possible cant survive going forward without it.
    Go

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Just because all your friends decide to jump off a cliff, that makes it make sense?
    Bit brutal example for something that it so simple?

Housing in wow will always be instanced, so nobody will ever see it.
    Garrison would like to say hello, you know, the personal phased area which you can invite players and they'll see your version instead of their own?

And outside RP realms, what do you think people will use it for? Invite others over for teatime?
    Ask ALL the other bloody MMORPGs with housing, the majority don't even support RP realms (AA, and FFXIV for example). What do they do? They make a place for themselves, they style it how they want, they decorate, they use features within, and they stay with friends to chat and socialize.

Have the garrison assaults?
    Obviously not? Even Blizzard admits that the Garrison isn't really housing. Housing shouldn't be connected as much as the Garrison was to the point where it is forced.

It will be a nice flashy thing for a week or two and then dead on arrival.
    For you, maybe, for others, not? And if it is dead for you, then gloriously you don't have to care about it in the first place for you shouldn't be seeing it unless you seek it out, meanwhile, for others, it'll change a whole aspect of the game.

But since i'm obvs not the target for housing, sell it. Show me how needed and invalueable housing is to wow and how wow possible cant survive going forward without it.
    Go
    Man, I can't sell it to you because you don't even know what it should be doing. WoW should be doing fine with or without housing. Housing shouldn't be connected to the world but the world should be able to draw in for the housing (Professions, achievements, vendors, art assets, development, deployment, and progression of the engine). The main problem opposing people have to housing is that they desperately want it to be something to do with the content to the point they expect it to be another Garrison, which was a flop and shrugged off as a failed attempt at housing.

Housing isn't needed for the game to go forward, housing is wanted by players to make more of the world they call home. Mythic raiding wasn't needed for the game to go forward, and neither were M+, or Pet Battles, but things develop, that is what progression is about and now another group of people would like something directed at them instead since the other minorities are being spoon-fed.

Some people want to see the RP grow in MMORPG.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-10-04 at 03:00 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Considering where those competitors are...*looks below* it wasn't much of a drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Considering where those competitors are...*looks below* it wasn't much of a drop.
    World of Warcraft sadly isn't towering over its competitors anymore, though I do not believe it is dwarfed by them either.