Page 1 of 3
LastLast

ASUS Z790 ROG motherboard

Image of one of the ASUS Z790 ROG motherboards has been leaked: The Maximus Hero. Can't wait to see what else they got. This one might be above $600.

There is a countdown to the announcement for September 27.
    https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/Intel-Raptor-Lake-Z790-H770-B760/

I know ASUS ROG are the top of their mobos, but what's best? ROG Maximus, or ROG Strix?

Last edited by Medievaldragon; 2022-09-25 at 10:28 AM.

Intel, yawn.

That said, ROG pulls out all the stops as usual, the board looks amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

love those SSD cooling pads. PCIe 5.0 lane

ROG branding is used for the upper part of their motherboard lineup. Strix boards are usually basic designs with added features, they're usually not worth their money. Maximus boards are their Intel extreme overclocking boards, Hero being the usual ATX base version. You cant usually tell pretty much anything about the board by the screenshot, this is no exception.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Intel, yawn.
    Fanboi, yawn. You do realize 13th Gen is benching ahead of Zen 4 (cant say “Ryzen 7000” since they will be using a mix of Zen 2, 3 and 4 cores across the range, because of course they will) at stock, right? Not enough to make AMD a bad purchase or anything, but definitely ahead in each price category. Particularly the 13600K vs 7600X, where the two chips are close in price but the 13600K beats it soundly.

As for ASUS’ hierarchy, ROG is their top line (Prime > TUF> ROG), with Strix being the lower end option within ROG (Strix > Crosshair > Maximus). Usually. Sometimes they add suffixes (like “Hero”) to further differentiate, but that isnt always consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
    love those SSD cooling pads. PCIe 5.0 lane
    They look nice but PCIe 4 or 5 storage is lipstick on a pig for 99% of people buying these boards. 5.0 in particular is like a pig covered an inch thick in lipstick. Professionals arent buying extreme OC motherboards, theyre buying Pro boards, and those are pretty much the only people who see any benefit from anything above 3.0 for storage, though this will start to change some with Direct Access/SAM, but that will really only need 4.0 to see full benefits (it really only needs marginally more than 3.0 4x). 5.0 is basically worthless overspend for a consumer or gamer (not that you have a choice in a lot of cases, manufacturers are just putting them on there and charging more) - even a 4090 doesnt saturate a 16x 4.0 slot (still has ~30% or more headroom remaining). For storage, even with DA/SAM, the bottleneck to access isnt the drive or its read/write speeds, but decompressing the files or simply OS overhead (see LTTs videos about their networking setup and how Windows chokes file transfer speeds, its a constant complaint of theirs).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Fanboi, yawn. You do realize 13th Gen is benching ahead of Zen 4 (cant say “Ryzen 7000” since they will be using a mix of Zen 2, 3 and 4 cores across the range, because of course they will) at stock, right? Not enough to make AMD a bad purchase or anything, but definitely ahead in each price category. Particularly the 13600K vs 7600X, where the two chips are close in price but the 13600K beats it soundly.

As for ASUS’ hierarchy, ROG is their top line (Prime > TUF> ROG), with Strix being the lower end option within ROG (Strix > Crosshair > Maximus). Usually. Sometimes they add suffixes (like “Hero”) to further differentiate, but that isnt always consistent.
    I see. Recently, someone told me ROG is the top, and TUF the lowest. But I had no idea there were variants within the ROG line as well. That's where I got confused. I been mostly into EVGA.

My last upgrade in 2014 was ASUS, instead. But boy, did I miss the mark back then. Z190 Pro Gaming. Not bad, but not great either.
    Last edited by Medievaldragon; 2022-09-25 at 11:05 PM.

looks like something overdesigned to look cool while costing an absolute fortune compared to a different board for a fraction of the price but 90% of the performance.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I see. Recently, someone told me ROG is the top, and TUF the lowest. But I had no idea there were variants within the ROG line as well. That's where I got confused. I been mostly into EVGA.

My last upgrade in 2014 was ASUS, instead. But boy, did I miss the mark back then. Z190 Pro Gaming. Not bad, but not great either.
    Ive always had good luck with ASUS. My personal rigs have been Strix mITX boards for the last several iterations. But thats largely because there is less choice in ITX boards, and ASRock and Gigabyte’s boards just didnt have feature parity, particularly I/O. My current HTPC is built around an H510 Prime and its very good for how little i paid for it.

10+ Year Old Account

ASUS GPU branding is as follows (lowest to highest tier):

ASUS Dual mini
    ASUS Dual OC
    ASUS TUF gaming
    ASUS ROG Strix

there are other brands of GPU cards that ASUS produce for niche needs such as micro GPUs and water cooled/Noctua collab etc.

they stopped segregating between 'ROG' branding and 'STRIX' branding as separate tiers and merged them into a single tier which is their highest tier of product in that stack.

ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus variants:

XI Hero
    XI Extreme
    Xi Formula
    XI Code
    XI Gene
    XI Apex
    XI Strix

Seriously? How do you know what to get here in that sub-hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Intel, yawn.

That said, ROG pulls out all the stops as usual, the board looks amazing

At least Intel is not boring from an Enthusiast standpoint. But whatever.

XI Hero
    XI Extreme
    Xi Formula
    XI Code
    XI Gene
    XI Apex
    XI Strix

Same as any other manufacturer, you need to look at the feature set. Code, Extreme and Formula are versions of the Hero with added features, Strix is a version of Prime boards with added features (mostly RGB). Gene is a mATX board similar to Hero. Apex is a full feature set extreme overclocking board.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

XI Hero
    XI Extreme
    Xi Formula
    XI Code
    XI Gene
    XI Apex
    XI Strix

Look at the features on the board. In 99% of cases, if youre just gaming and are not going to be building a custom water cooling loop and overclockong 6.x ghz, you dont need ANY of these boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngmonster The God View Post
    At least Intel is not boring from an Enthusiast standpoint. But whatever.
    i don't know what rock you have been living under, but Intel is literally the poster boy for anti enthusiast, AMD has been and continues to be all ab out enthusiast level products and features, Intel actively punishes people who try to use them and goes so far as to tell motherboard manufacturers to disable features unless people pay a premium to unlock them, are you living in mirror world where the opposite happens or something?, because Intel at every turn has done everything in its power to prevent enthusiast tinkering and overclocking AT A HARDWARE LEVEL nevermind the software locks they have in place to prevent people alongside that, stop being a fanboi and sucking on that engorged phallus long enough to catch a breath and see reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the features on the board. In 99% of cases, if youre just gaming and are not going to be building a custom water cooling loop and overclockong 6.x ghz, you dont need ANY of these boards.
    but it's all shiny and pretty and big tech says i need all these new things because they are all new and UPGRADES, /s.

Mine would be for:

Gaming
    OBS while Gaming
    Video Editing + Rendering for YouTube
    Image Editing

Yes. I want to overclock. My i5-6600K is overclocked on air. It's been stable for years.
    For the I7-13700K, I would go with water cooling.
    Last edited by Medievaldragon; 2022-09-27 at 02:46 AM.

Mine would be for:

Gaming
    OBS while Gaming
    Video Editing + Rendering for YouTube
    Image Editing

Yes. I want to overclock. My i5-6600K is overclocked on air. It's been stable for years.
    For the I7-13700K, I would go with water cooling.
    ASUS mobos has been some pretty bad value ever since the Z170-A so I'd look at other brands.

Pricing for 13th gen Newegg Leak Prices

Looks like the msrp for the 13900k is $589, 13700k is $409, and 13600k is $319 with the F skus being $25 less.

Interesting to see the 13600k is $319 and the a770 is $329, and that would be a mid range cpu and pcu combo.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2022-09-27 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Pricing for 13th gen
    Yea that's pretty good pricing, and that's expected. Mobo pricing is going to be more impactful though.

The ASUS Z790 ROG Maximus and other mobos have been unveiled today. The Maximus will have 3 variants: Extreme, Apex and Hero.

ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme
    Size EATX
    Memory 4 x DDR5 up to 7200 (OC)
    PCIe 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 (@x16 or x8/x8)
    1 x PCIe 4.0 x4
    Storage 1 x 22110 (PCIe 5.0)
    1 x 2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4)
    1 x 2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA)
    2 x DIMM.2 22110 (PCIe 4.0 x4)
    Networking 1 x Marvell® 10Gb
    1 x Intel® 2.5Gb
    Intel® WiFi 6E
    Audio Realtek ALC 4082
    ESS ES9218 Quad-DAC
    Thunderbolt™ 4 2 x USB Type-C® ports
    Rear I/O 3.2 Gen 2x2: 1 x USB Type-C®
    3.2 Gen 2: 7 x USB Type-A, 1 x USB Type-C®
    Front I/O 1 x Thunderbolt™ 4 connector (supports USB Type-C®)
    3.2 Gen 2x2: 1 x USB Type-C® with Quick Charge 4+ (60W)
    3.2 Gen 1: 4 x USB Type-A
    2.0: 4 x USB Type-A
    Aura Onboard: 3 x Addressable Gen 2 headers, 1 x Aura RGB header
    ROG Fan Controller: 6 x Gen 2 addressable headers
    Cooling Onboard: 8 x fan headers
    ROG Fan Controller: 6 x headers, 2 x sensor

ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
    Size ATX
    Memory 4 x DDR5 up to 7200 (OC)
    PCIe 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 (@x16 or x8/x8)
    1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x4, x4/x4)
    Storage 1 x M.2 22110 (PCIe 4.0 x4)
    1 x M.2 2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4)
    1 x M.2 2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA mode)
    Networking 1 x Intel® 2.5Gb
    Intel® WiFi 6E
    Audio ROG SupremeFX ALC4082 CODEC
    ESS® ES9218 Quad-DAC
    Thunderbolt™ 4 2 x USB Type-C® ports
    Rear I/O 3.2 Gen 2: 5 x USB Type-A, 1 x USB Type-C®
    Front I/O 3.2 Gen 2x2: 1 x USB Type-C® with Quick Charge 4+ (60W)
    2.0: 4 x USB Type-A
    Aura 3 x Addressable Gen 2 headers
    1 x Aura RGB header
    Cooling 8 x fan headers
    ROG Hyper M.2 Card 1 x M.2 22110 (PCIe 5.0 x4)
    1 x M.2 22110 (PCIe 4.0 x4)
    Last edited by Medievaldragon; 2022-09-27 at 09:27 PM.

All of which are massive overkill unless you're going to try to overclock past 6ghz and using exotic cooling.

To just get a high 5ghz stable all core OC you shouldn't need more than the ROG Strix if you're going to stick with ASUS. You could likely get buy just fine on a TUF. Also, ignore Thunderball. I dont think the guy has ever been right about anything hes posted that im aware of. ASUS' value vis-a-vis other manufacturers isnt any different than it always was. Every company has boards that are a good value and boards that arent.

Edit:

Honestly, looking at the differences between z790 and z690....

You could likey save yourself a bit of coin and just get a z690. There's no compelling feature differences for your use case. The only difference appears to be max Chipset PCIe lanes, which you are not likely to ever use all of anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Pricing for 13th gen Newegg Leak Prices

Looks like the msrp for the 13900k is $589, 13700k is $409, and 13600k is $319 with the F skus being $25 less.

Interesting to see the 13600k is $319 and the a770 is $329, and that would be a mid range cpu and pcu combo.
    Just watched the GN review of the 7600X … 13600K at this price basically just made the 7600X DoA. It already barely beats the 12600K (at stock) in most tasks, only pulling ahead in productivity tasks that are heavily multithreaded… but the 13600K has 4 more cores than the 12th gen chip and clocks higher. And the motherboard and RAM costs for Intel are WAY lower (given that you can use 600 series boards without missing much of anything and DDR4). If Intels claims of 15% better IPC are true (and early benches logged show that they are), the 13600K will be ~10-15% faster single core and absolutely bury it in multicore.

Which is not to say that the Zen 4 chips are bad or underpowered or anything. they are very powerful and building a system with one isnt going to get you bad framerates or anything. Just that the 13600K in particular seems like its going to eat AMDs lunch.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-09-27 at 09:29 PM.