Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Over 9000! Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    9,079

    Would you wanna see a return of raids of Capital Faction Cities?

    You can clearly see WPVP back at WOTLK Classic servers, people are storming Orgrimmar/Ironforge/Stormwind/Thunder Bluff like the good old days. 40v40 hell sometimes even 80v80 battle straight up in the capital. While you are shopping, others are defending their territory. A real outdoor adventure.

    A thing that hasn't really been seen on retail since... MoP? WoD? Do you think that the faction attacks on capitals should return?
    Should faction leaders drop weekly pvp gear or conquest? Should Blizzard motivate the players to return capital open world PVP?

    Would you like to see a return of faction raids on capitals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  2. #2
    The Patient Puxycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    346
    Only the name of war remains in World of Warcraft now.
    A very cool signature text.

  3. #3
    Nah, warmode needs to die. The only place where pvp should be "legal" should be instances (bgs/Arena) and (cross-faction)-duels.

  4. #4
    Nah, not at all. And if it does, keep it to the dying "warmode" format. I didn't enjoy it back then and I certainly won't enjoy it now but if its opt in like warmode? have fun... Personally though? Keep that PVP stuff to instances, just like dungeons and raids.

  5. #5
    I mean this kind of stuff was fun when servers were localized. But feels unrewarding with xrealm and sharding.

  6. #6
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,962
    In a way, yes, in another way, no. As a roleplayer, fuck that, as a PvP, I do miss fucking over people..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  7. #7
    Nope, usually it's just reused content, and those dungeons are especially guilty of wows most terrible habbit, getting rid of iconic characters in the most unnecesary ways (started with Illidan/Kaelthas and Vashj, former "protagonists" from war3 lore, everybody "goes insane" and wants to take over the world, for no good reason.)

    Maybe if it was a "defense of.." it'd make sense, but sacking the city is getting old. We've done it in 2 raids and 21 months of visions in BFA.

  8. #8
    Over 9000! Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    Nah, warmode needs to die. The only place where pvp should be "legal" should be instances (bgs/Arena) and (cross-faction)-duels.
    Yeah no. Remove anything that once made WoW and make it into a basic MMORPG like any other. That is your take on this. Horrible view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  9. #9
    WM is a niche. WPvP is terrible, it's unbalanced and ridiculous, and to top off the irony it's best when people get together in ways that create pseudo-instanced PvP (like SSvTM of old etc.).

    Leave it in by all means, but it really doesn't deserve development resources anymore.

  10. #10
    Epic! Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,536
    A big motivation to do faction city raids was the bear mount that was a reward for killing all faction leaders. I think something similar could be used to reward something once per expansion. The really good players get it early on and the rest of us stragglers will usually get it later when gear is more forgiving.
    It would have to require a raid sized group though, as just having a bunch of stealthers sneak in would kind of defeat the purpose.

    Only issue would be flying, meaning the respective cities would need to disable flying on Warmode around the cities somehow or install anti-aircraft artillery. Or if we didn't have cross realm zoning at least have a detection system for the cities creating a temporary no fly zone when a certain number of enemies approach.

    But yeah I liked city raids back in my day and I think it could be fun on Warmode. But I also kind of liked the random weekly quests for PVP as well and this could ve incorporated similar to the badge quests for raids in Wotlk.

    But one can dream.

  11. #11
    Over 9000! Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    A big motivation to do faction city raids was the bear mount that was a reward for killing all faction leaders. I think something similar could be used to reward something once per expansion. The really good players get it early on and the rest of us stragglers will usually get it later when gear is more forgiving.
    It would have to require a raid sized group though, as just having a bunch of stealthers sneak in would kind of defeat the purpose.

    Only issue would be flying, meaning the respective cities would need to disable flying on Warmode around the cities somehow or install anti-aircraft artillery. Or if we didn't have cross realm zoning at least have a detection system for the cities creating a temporary no fly zone when a certain number of enemies approach.

    But yeah I liked city raids back in my day and I think it could be fun on Warmode. But I also kind of liked the random weekly quests for PVP as well and this could ve incorporated similar to the badge quests for raids in Wotlk.

    But one can dream.
    Just add a season mount to faction bosses or conquest points for loot. A weekly or monthly quest could do the trick. Motivating people to atleast do the faction bosses.
    I don't see the point not to, what are the point of faction bosses? I remember as kid how proud i was seeing Varian getting attacked and how we had to defend it or attack thrall back, that was so epic. I find it so odd how many on this website are so boomery that they just keep saying it breaks the game more then helps. Anything that is outside the raiding circle almost everyone on here seems to dislike.

    In-game i have a whole different view of opinions and most miss the wpvp in this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    You can clearly see WPVP back at WOTLK Classic servers, people are storming Orgrimmar/Ironforge/Stormwind/Thunder Bluff like the good old days. 40v40 hell sometimes even 80v80 battle straight up in the capital. While you are shopping, others are defending their territory. A real outdoor adventure.

    A thing that hasn't really been seen on retail since... MoP? WoD? Do you think that the faction attacks on capitals should return?
    Should faction leaders drop weekly pvp gear or conquest? Should Blizzard motivate the players to return capital open world PVP?

    Would you like to see a return of faction raids on capitals?


    Honestly I think they should make BGs around faction bosses. Like how Wiinterspring was, every hour a new battle defend one side then next hour attack one side.

    Its not exactly what you are talking about but this would be EPIC

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    You can clearly see WPVP back at WOTLK Classic servers, people are storming Orgrimmar/Ironforge/Stormwind/Thunder Bluff like the good old days. 40v40 hell sometimes even 80v80 battle straight up in the capital. While you are shopping, others are defending their territory. A real outdoor adventure.

    A thing that hasn't really been seen on retail since... MoP? WoD? Do you think that the faction attacks on capitals should return?
    Should faction leaders drop weekly pvp gear or conquest? Should Blizzard motivate the players to return capital open world PVP?

    Would you like to see a return of faction raids on capitals?
    Oh my god yes!
    Honestly just award like a vicious saddle for it or something, they give those away for the randomest of things anyhoo.
    Killed all faction bosses this expansion? There you go, a mount for you.

    Don't make it seasonal though, that would get annoying.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  14. #14
    Over 9000! Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    9,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
    Honestly I think they should make BGs around faction bosses. Like how Wiinterspring was, every hour a new battle defend one side then next hour attack one side.

    Its not exactly what you are talking about but this would be EPIC
    I like this idea but why not make faction bosses like World Events? "WORLD CALL "KILL THRALL" WITHIN 10 DAYS" kinda deal? You get a massive star on a capital city or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  15. #15
    Might sound good on paper but it just doesn't work in reality.
    Just look at what happened in BfA with the PvP objectives, especially Nazjatar where it was each shard completely dominated by a faction that just kept pulling in numbers into the shard with no real battle in any of them.

  16. #16
    Not really.

    Was never really fond of them, and only did them once for the achievement and to try it out. Not really the type of gameplay i enjoy.

  17. #17
    Legendary! Seezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    DEEEEZ NuUuUuuTssss
    Posts
    6,008
    Hell yeah. I love bustin cheeks in Stormwind. So glad we have dat shit on classic
    Last edited by Seezer; 2022-09-25 at 10:18 PM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

  18. #18
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,315
    Capitol defense is the only PVP that I've ever really liked. That said I doubt it would work today with everyone hastily seeking a realm that they can enjoy "safe" PVP on, i.e. faction splits that practically insure a win in most kinds of open world PVP.

    And that, if we are being honest, which many never are, is why PVP is not especially a pillar of WoW's popularity and never has been. People seem to truly loathe the idea of totally fair open world PVP and do everything possible to avoid it. It was an afterthought at launch and despite many, many attempts to clean it up, it's pretty much an afterthought now. Fans of PVP have mostly moved on to other games.
    Two rules for living: "Don't go around hurting each other. Try to understand things." — William Least Heat-Moon (Blue Highways)

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I like this idea but why not make faction bosses like World Events? "WORLD CALL "KILL THRALL" WITHIN 10 DAYS" kinda deal? You get a massive star on a capital city or something.
    This idea is dead on arrival.

    - Nobody will bother defending. You can't even reward defending because you cannot define a win-state for a defense in the open world.
    - Even in an ideal world where everyone and their mother is doing WPvP people would just do this in off-hours because whatever reward you can cook up cannot offset the potential hours of wiping constantly.
    - The bosses themselves do literally fucking nothing so if people don't defend this is more boring the current world bosses.
    - Some faction leaders are easier to kill than others, worst offender is Grommash Hold in Orgrimmar. If you manage to give rewards to defenders there is no way Alliance is killing the boss there (or, as said above, they can only do so in off-hours which would be bad for many casuals).

    Overall this idea is just Ashran, but worse in every way.
    Ashran is literally THIS but with side objectives.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    This idea is dead on arrival.

    - Nobody will bother defending. You can't even reward defending because you cannot define a win-state for a defense in the open world.
    Put a timer on it like "Reinforcements arrive in X" and when it is up the defenders win and the zone gets flooded with guards.

    - Even in an ideal world where everyone and their mother is doing WPvP people would just do this in off-hours because whatever reward you can cook up cannot offset the potential hours of wiping constantly.
    Make it a scheduled activity.

    - The bosses themselves do literally fucking nothing so if people don't defend this is more boring the current world bosses.
    Make the bosses do something.

    - Some faction leaders are easier to kill than others, worst offender is Grommash Hold in Orgrimmar. If you manage to give rewards to defenders there is no way Alliance is killing the boss there (or, as said above, they can only do so in off-hours which would be bad for many casuals).
    Make the bosses more balanced.

    Honestly, before you act like an idea has some kind of insurmountable, unsolvable game design problems, you should at least put six seconds of thought into it. It's embarrassing.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •