Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTripleZero View Post
    No sword weighs as much as this thing. I should know, I own one of the first run of these from back in the day, and I also train with longswords.

Swords are light. This thing is heavy. It is completely unsuited for any kind of actual use. And no, a twohanded sword doesn't weigh anywhere close to 10kg. They're 4-5 on the far, far end. You simply can't swing something that weighs that much with any kind of effectiveness.
    This guy f*cks

10+ Year Old Account
    People in the comments acting all surprised about the pricing. This was invited behavior. Pandora's box has been opened and now there can be made business in reproducing old merchandise under the guise of it being nostalgic.

Looks cool as hell but just like back in the old days, I would never buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

No sword weighs as much as this thing. I should know, I own one of the first run of these from back in the day, and I also train with longswords.

Swords are light. This thing is heavy. It is completely unsuited for any kind of actual use. And no, a twohanded sword doesn't weigh anywhere close to 10kg. They're 4-5 on the far, far end. You simply can't swing something that weighs that much with any kind of effectiveness.
    But... It is meant to be unrealistic but then it isn't the most unrealistic weight of a sword we have seen if we compare it to the real world? I mean, we have in history seen a claymore reach 10 kg. This replica weight is double of a Zweihänder but then we are comparing a barebone Zweihänder, while the Frostmourne is a sword for display, with A LOT of extra on it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

$1500? OMEGALUL. Hard pass. Why not $300 like the Helm?

10+ Year Old Account
    b-but... but, Frostmourne... was... w-was reforged... into Blades of the F-Fallen... Prince... ?

Am I the only person who saw the title of the blue post and instantly thought Blizzard was shamelessly making it into a transmog or something on the WoW store

15+ Year Old Account
    Why 18 and older? Does this sword come with boobs?

for that price, you can grab frostmourne, gorehowl and another couple of epic WoW replicas @ epicswords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    for that price, you can grab frostmourne, gorehowl and another couple of epic WoW replicas @ epicswords.com
    But...but...Officially Licensed!? That means it's special.

Thanks for the link tho. Didn't know about that site.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    There is an actually used twohander in a museum here that was used in man-to-man combat weighing 6.6 kg (https://greaterancestors.com/grutte-piers-giant-sword/).
    Admittedly it belonged to a "giant" at 2.15 m, but it's nonsense that swords don't get that heavy, their usage and role just changes with weight.

Not sure how the name translates, but they were used during i.e. sieges and naval boarding to damage ships and wooden structures.
    I've held one in the past and indeed they're extremely unwieldy, but they're sort of meant to be.
    To add more to this, Frostmourne is 49inches in total length(125cm), which is within the average range for a longsword and is a heck of a lot shorter than the sword you've shown which is 84.6inches (2.15m).
    I own several longswords which range within cm of Frostmourne, my heaviest is 2.4lbs/1.08kilos. roughly 1/8th the weight of this thing.

It looks cool, but given the blade steel and other parts it is 100% a gaudy display piece and if I'm willing to accept it's merely a sword shaped object then it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus View Post
    Why 18 and older? Does this sword come with boobs?
    Because they don't want to be responsible when a 17 year-old "child" accidentally stabs his little brother to death with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    There is an actually used twohander in a museum here that was used in man-to-man combat weighing 6.6 kg (https://greaterancestors.com/grutte-piers-giant-sword/).
    Admittedly it belonged to a "giant" at 2.15 m, but it's nonsense that swords don't get that heavy, their usage and role just changes with weight.

Not sure how the name translates, but they were used during i.e. sieges and naval boarding to damage ships and wooden structures.
    I've held one in the past and indeed they're extremely unwieldy, but they're sort of meant to be.
    you guys really need to stop speaking in foreign weights and heights...
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    That's what happens when you don't give your blade proper maintenance! Look at all those chips and gouges in the blade, no surprise it broke!

Don't doubt some people will buy this, but I have a sneaking suspicion the market for such an item is going to be much lower than they expect. Not necessarily for the price (although legit sword replicas tend to be pricy, and inflation/economy woes are kicking a lot of people's butts), but excitement and desire for the IP just not being ideal. There's a reason it's being released right now during the hype for WotLK classic: outside this window, there isn't much hype for the IP.
    And to be quite honest you can get some very nice historically accurate replicas for well under $1,500.
    The Albion I own is absolutely gorgeous and was just shy of $1,000, Talhoffer Longsword.

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    You mean metric? The thing that everyone uses, apart from ppl in freedomland? Except from when you talk about guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    So 2k for the "set"... I mean I was tempted before I looked up the price. Would have been fine with 500+200 but this is just to much... For 1500 the mount should be included, can't be that damn expensive to make.

5+ Year Old Account
    A real sword? They could add an in-game sword. I bet many death knights would love it. Who would buy a real life sword. What for? I mean it looks good, probably weights a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    Yup just checked, You can get Corrupted Ashbringer, Frostmourne, Gorehowl & Doomhammer for $1416 and they come with included wall mounts so that saves you another @200.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

In case anyone was wondering, it isn't sharp. Curious if you even can ship sharp swords?

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    Ok, we'll stop using US measurements. Those are foreign to about 95% of the worlds population and thus most likely what you meant, after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    In case anyone was wondering, it isn't sharp. Curious if you even can ship sharp swords?
    Bigger issue is likely that this thing would stay sharp for very long anyway. It's not made for it, either, and would likely be a few times heavier if you made it from a material suitable for that.

I'll second that also as an owner of one of the originals. Not only is it obscenely heavy it's also horribly unbalanced, an attempt to swing this thing will likely end with you putting one of the spikes through your head.

Also, damn inflation hit this thing hard. I don't think it was even a fifth of the price when it first came out, and you didn't need to pay for the mount separately.

That thing was 500 bucks back in the day. Sold mine for 200 bucks 5 years ago, when I moved out and didn't want to carry it around with me anymore.

Still looks good but Blizz is definitely milking it.