3+ Year Old Account

Need Zone Ideas for K'aresh Project

Hey all! I’m currently working on a little “what-if” K’aresh fan expansion project. I made one previously a while back, but I'm giving it another go. I’ve actually got some fleshed out factions and stories, but I’m having trouble coming up with environments.

Thus far, I’ve got the Timeswept Dunes (a vast desert with canyons and oases) and the Starwrought Peaks (towering, snowy peaks with some areas being infested by the void). I was also thinking of a mushroom marsh-like zone kinda like Zangarmarsh.

What kinds of places would you want to see on K’aresh? I’m trying to be unique, but also trying to stick to the “WoW” fantasy feel that we’ve especially seen in the Dragon Isles.

In my own concepts, I've always been particularly attached to two zones—one is a dark, starswept desert with silvery sands and which served as the old headquarters for the Consortium, and another is a beautiful, lush Steppe-type place full of technologically-advanced ruins where you go out adventuring with Ethereal "archaeologists" (read: gentlemen thieves).

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    In my own concepts, I've always been particularly attached to two zones—one is a dark, starswept desert with silvery sands and which served as the old headquarters for the Consortium, and another is a beautiful, lush Steppe-type place full of technologically-advanced ruins where you go out adventuring with Ethereal "archaeologists" (read: gentlemen thieves).
    Definitely love both of these ideas! Unique and high fantasy for sure. The latter idea would be a great Renown faction to re-introduce a revamped archaeology through.

Quote Originally Posted by genegerbread View Post
    Definitely love both of these ideas! Unique and high fantasy for sure. The latter idea would be a great Renown faction to re-introduce a revamped archaeology through.
    I think dragonflight and archeology should have been a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

My vision was that, since K'aresh was destroyed, you are actually working with the remnants of the planet which have been contained in those biodomes. So you are asteroid hopping. These biodomes are much more advanced than the ones you encountered on Outland in Netherstorm. You could have waterfalls linking 2 biodomes, space platforms, maybe a mutant wasteland, lush forests in isolated bubbles, massive domes covering a whole zone. lots of different ideas to explore.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

A desert with twilight aesthetics, a large silvery moon and purple sky.

something like this pic I found on reddit googling desert night

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    My vision was that, since K'aresh was destroyed, you are actually working with the remnants of the planet which have been contained in those biodomes. So you are asteroid hopping. These biodomes are much more advanced than the ones you encountered on Outland in Netherstorm. You could have waterfalls linking 2 biodomes, space platforms, maybe a mutant wasteland, lush forests in isolated bubbles, massive domes covering a whole zone. lots of different ideas to explore.
    I like to headcanon they come from a Egypt 100k A.D. kind of planet. Chrome hover pyramids and biodomes where they grow food and live because the planet itself is a desecrated wasteland they transformed into a civilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    A desert with twilight aesthetics, a large silvery moon and purple sky.

something like this pic I found on reddit googling desert night
    Gotta echo the colors of this picture but add large purple domes on the horizon, vast gaps of Twisting Nether, cracked-off parts of planet mass, and searing energy waves coursing through as beasts of the void prowl the surface. A few barriers around ruined cities of the Ethereal people, leaving barren thousands of years of evolution beneath rubble and arcane constructs. Arcane gateways make inter-connecting routes among the remaining parts of K'aresh and some hidden networks shielded from their foes were from they operate, as they have gateways to Outland and Azeroth. Remember, there's not going to be much lush life on K'aresh as it was bathed in Shadow and Arcane energies.

They would most likely have many colonies around other worlds, and the Twisting Nether, just like we know, there are Void Ethereals watching us, and helping the Void Elves, and themselves.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-12-24 at 12:08 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Gotta echo the colors of this picture but add large purple domes on the horizon, vast gaps of Twisting Nether, cracked-off parts of planet mass, and searing energy waves coursing through as beasts of the void prowl the surface. A few barriers around ruined cities of the Ethereal people, leaving barren thousands of years of evolution beneath rubble and arcane constructs. Arcane gateways make inter-connecting routes among the remaining parts of K'aresh and some hidden networks shielded from their foes were from they operate, as they have gateways to Outland and Azeroth. Remember, there's not going to be much lush life on K'aresh as it was bathed in Shadow and Arcane energies.
    That was another zone I envisioned in my own concept—it'd be called The Locus, and would be where the Void first intruded on K'Aresh. It would be sort of a prettier version of Telogrus Rift, with the same kind of skybox but over a pretty desert with black sand instead of a barren rock. Those little starry splotches from Eredath would feature strongly, but would be much larger and would be so sprawling as to cover entire mountainsides and the like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Once again recalling the concept I made, I liked to envision the entire playable area as some kind of Eco-dome, with a massive shield that would be visible from the sides (but not from below, as to avoid generating fatigue in players from constantly seeing a purple dome cover the sky) along with massive, technologically-advanced pillars that look like giant buoys. From around the dome, you'd see a massive wasteland wholly consumed by the Void—not broken apart like Outland, but instead mutated beyond recognition, covered in sea-sized, star-pocked oceans of viscous liquid darkness from where the world was consumed. It would help to make it feel like K'Aresh really is a whole world, with the playable area only being a small part of it, as well as making the Void's corruption seem more absolute and not making it seem too understated.