The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Dragonflight: Origins of the Dragonspawn and Dragonkin?

So with the next expansion being all about dragons and their backstories... can anyone confirm if they have some lore regarding the origins of the Dragonkin and the Dragonspawn?

I've noticed they've updated the models for both.. so I'm suspecting characters like Overlord Wyrmthalak in Blackrock Spire, will also receive a model update?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is said in the Dracthyr starting zone that Neltharion created the Drakonid (those two-legged ones), and that the dracthyr were "upgrades" or something compared to them.

For Dragonspawn, there's no new lore as too their origin, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    So with the next expansion being all about dragons and their backstories... can anyone confirm if they have some lore regarding the origins of the Dragonkin and the Dragonspawn?

I've noticed they've updated the models for both.. so I'm suspecting characters like Overlord Wyrmthalak in Blackrock Spire, will also receive a model update?
    There is a quest about this in Waking Shores at the Ruby Life Shrine but it was bugged last time I checked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtwili View Post
    I think it is said in the Dracthyr starting zone that Neltharion created the Drakonid (those two-legged ones), and that the dracthyr were "upgrades" or something compared to them.

For Dragonspawn, there's no new lore as too their origin, so far.
    Interesting... as all dragonflights seem to use both the Drakonids and the Dragonspawn

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Drakonid specifically have been said by the developers to be humanoids who received the blessing of dragons, via contributions of their own essence, and so took on draconic qualities themselves. This process doesn't have to be voluntary, though; and humanoids have been turned into drakonid both by taking draconic essence forcibly, or having it thrust upon them. Traditionally, the ranks of drakonid are formerly mortal servants of the Dragonflights, and each regiment shares the color of its parent flight due to the essence having been shared with them. Dragonspawn and drakonid appear to share an origin, and while they have physiological differences this may be down to the mortal stock used to create drakonid vs. dragonspawn - they are created via the same means, though; the sharing of draconic essence with mortal beings. Drakonid may be created from this process using humanoids like trolls, humans, or elves whereas dragonspawn may come from the sharing of draconic essence with beings like centaur, tol'vir, or other quadrupedal beings.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Drakonid specifically have been said by the developers to be humanoids who received the blessing of dragons, via contributions of their own essence, and so took on draconic qualities themselves.
    When? Is't it from RPG?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    When? Is't it from RPG?
    The lore on drakonids is currently (meaning DF will most likely change it) a mess of various info dumps from all over.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    When? Is't it from RPG?
    No, from Loreology and the "Ask a CDev" tweets from 2014. Sean Copeland specifically said this about the Drakonid:
    Originally Posted by @Loreology
    "Dragonmen = Drakonids? To create dragonmen without Nefarian’s influence possible?" Metzen has ruled that they are separate races from the dragon race. They became dragonspawn and drakonid thanks to the dragons they served (via intentional alteration or via "unintended side effect of hanging out with dragons"). (Source)
    The additional information on the various subtypes of Drakonid and dragonkin is from World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume I, Issue II, which included a wealth of info on dragons - sadly that periodical is no longer available to view except for its contributions to lore resources like WoWPedia and WoWWiki.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-10-11 at 11:31 AM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

No, from Loreology and the "Ask a CDev" tweets from 2014. Sean Copeland specifically said this about the Drakonid:
    "Dragonmen = Drakonids? To create dragonmen without Nefarian’s influence possible?" Metzen has ruled that they are separate races from the dragon race. They became dragonspawn and drakonid thanks to the dragons they served (via intentional alteration or via "unintended side effect of hanging out with dragons"). (Source)
    The additional information on the various subtypes of Drakonid and dragonkin is from World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume I, Issue II, which included a wealth of info on dragons - sadly that periodical is no longer available to view except for its contributions to lore resources like WoWPedia and WoWWiki.
    Thank you
    /10 symbols

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how 'hanging out with dragons', aparently slowly transforms you into one.

I love how 'hanging out with dragons', aparently slowly transforms you into one.
    well it can happen with radicals, plague carriers, old people (although now I think on it even people who avoid the old still become old themselves. needs further research. please fund if you can) and suspected criminals so why not dragons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    well it can happen with radicals, plague carriers, old people (although now I think on it even people who avoid the old still become old themselves. needs further research. please fund if you can) and suspected criminals so why not dragons?
    Haha yeah but that is mentally.. not physically.

I'd love some more insight/explanation on these kinds.

THIS is the expansion to expand the lore on dragons, dragonkin etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Haha yeah but that is mentally.. not physically.

I'd love some more insight/explanation on these kinds.

THIS is the expansion to expand the lore on dragons, dragonkin etc...
    There is a new book coming out next year, called The Dragonflight Codex, which is likely to cover these topics more in-depth. I would assume it collates the older lore that has now become difficult to source alongside newer lore accompanying the Dragonflight expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a new book coming out next year, called The Dragonflight Codex, which is likely to cover these topics more in-depth. I would assume it collates the older lore that has now become difficult to source alongside newer lore accompanying the Dragonflight expansion.
    True!
    Plus we also have a few Warbringer-like shorts coming up in the next few weeks that MAY explain some things..

Given the trend of destroying or discrediting older lore, bold of you to assume it will be simply presented by the latest cash grab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

You will learn a completely new true origin story 2-4 expansions away, so just dont care.