Poll: Do you like Dragonriding?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me like opinions are mixed. really looking forward to seeing more feedback on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy it, takes some to get used to but it is okay, benefit in speed for the extra you need.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

It's fun. Feels natural and makes flying feel fast but still a part of the world because of gravity.
    I have concerns for others who aren't used to that constant motion and I don't like that there isn't an "air brake" of sorts that lets us slow down and pause while we check for where we want to land.
    Works on a controller mostly fine. Could use some tuning but the consoleport addon works with this new build.
    I thought I'd be annoyed with wanting to afk fly a bit, but if I'm already there is it really a problem? I don't quite get the 'minigame' critique over it; I read statements like that as 'I want to disconnect from the game' which seems anti MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    Then use your feet and ground mounts.
    I'd rather go with not buying DF, thanks.

I'm nervous because from what I've seen, it seems like it won't have the smooth mount and camera control that GW2's griffon riding had, nor the smooth transitions between animations, which was a huge part of why I love Griffon riding in GW2. Also doesn't look like Dragonflight will have extremely vertical zones to fly through like GW2 did.

I've maxed it out on beta and it is hands down the best movement system the game has ever seen imo. Once you unlock the final talents (it's not timegated either you just need to find the glyphs in the world once per account to unlock it for every character) you can easily mantain permanent 930% speed with little effort, zooming all over the place. Need to be AFK? Fly onto a mountaintop or a nook, hope nobody flies by and kills you. If that's too spook for you just play without War Mode.

In waking shores with three Vigor, 15s mid-air rechsrge and 30s ground recharge it feels slow and often unavailable. That gets cut down to six Vigor, 5 second recharge mid air and 20 or even 15s ground recharge I can't remember which.

With the 5s mid-air recharge and the right angle you actually gain Vigor while spamming the climb ability it's insanely fun, so you can all enjoy your 410% flying while I'll fly circles around you at 930% speed (and potentially knock you off your mount to pvp you because that's a thing too)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Dragonriding is probably the #1 reason I'm not getting DF (though not the only reason by any stretch).

I don't want my movement to be a minigame. I just want it to get me from A to B so I can play the ACTUAL game there.

If I ever give DF a chance, it'll be after regular flying is enabled.
    Good news that you'll get from A to B to "play the actual game" at twice the speed with virtually no effort once dragonriding is maxed out

10+ Year Old Account
    I have beta access (and alpha before it) and I like Dragon Riding, even if my accounts have most concentrated on other stuff so as to not spoil too much of the experience.

It's going to take some people more time than others to get used to the system. And it;s not necessarily the people who have no experience with the system. I think people who have experience with similar systems in other games may try to play DR as they would in the other games, and it is nto quite the same thing.

The other big thing to keep in mind is that DR gets FAR better and more usuable and more fun as you unlock the sigils/points that you put into your DR skill tree. Especially early on going from 3 to 4 available "energy" is a huge upgrade and really noticable in how much more and how much further you can get.

Most of the basic stuff in the game seems designed around spending 1 energy or 3 energy. Fishing nodes seem about 1 energy spent "hop" apart. You can do most things and reasonably build up the energy again to hop to the next spot. Anything that feels bad cause you can't do it, is just something you have to grow your DR skill in to learn.

Another thing that will have people clash on this subject is that you get thrown into a new area where you do not know the lay of the land AND you get this new, quite fast mode of transportation. The 2 combined will occasionally lead people to end up in spots where they have no energy left to go up, and are stuck on a mountain side cause they didn;t realize this was not the correct path to take to get from A to B, and that you need a far more advanced DR set up to be able to do what they were trying to do. This is something that is REALLY frustrating when it happens. I had it happen in my first day or 2. But you learn the way the landscape works and you learn your limitations with the DR and at that point you won;t get stuck on mountain sides anymore.

Last thing I'll add is this: On beta, even after all this time, there's still occasions where the flight has things happen where you go "why the hell did that happen?". Pretty much all fo these are due to stalling at low speed and/or a bad angle of flight and/or trying to turn at high speed and suddenly losing speed. With more time and more "energy" to spend on DR, these issues will be less, because you are less and less trying to make every energy count to the max, and instead of waiting for that extra bit where you end up stalling, you just spend the energy and speed up and not have the issue at all.

Funny thing is, if you want to get better at Dragon Riding, I can HIGHLY recommend you try and do the Dragon Racing stops in every zone. They will teach you how to move with your Dragon far better because it stresses your abilities to perform certain actions and do certain things and the best part is that if you fail, you automatically get back to the start point and get full energy again. This means that trying something new and learning how to do things does not come with the penalty of the aformentioned Mountain Side Breather.

Some people will never like DR, mostly based on prejudices of what it should be or of what they do not have with the system, but I think anyone that gives the system the chance to become natural to them and who works even a little on building it up, will find it fun and useful. I certainly do, and I have done barely anything to build up my Dragon Riding on Beta (was a little further on Alpha before it was wiped).

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    Good news that you'll get from A to B to "play the actual game" at twice the speed with virtually no effort once dragonriding is maxed out
    With "virtually" and "once it's maxed out" being the operative phrases there.

I have no intention of paying for a game only to EVENTUALLY not piss me off. I have plenty of stuff to play and fill my free time with. I don't need to reward design like that with my purchase. So I won't.

I have no intention of paying for a game only to EVENTUALLY not piss me off. I have plenty of stuff to play and fill my free time with. I don't need to reward design like that with my purchase. So I won't.
    There's literally no timegating. You unlock dragonriding, you can max out the entire tree before you do a single quest. It's faster, instantly unlocked to max out through a (imo) fun hunt for glyphs checking out mountaintops etc and it's not gated behind Pathfinder.

I'm sorry but any complaints other than using the autorun on old flying to go get a drink is simply void, dragonriding is more engaging, over twice as fast and not gated at all.

Inb4 you refuse to level a character because you don't have the talent tree fully unlocked at lvl 1 like what.

Edit: Like I'm not trying to be mean or anything here but if your reason for not picking up DF is that old school flying isn't available at start, something only Cata had where every other exp had it gated behind time or level, and instead something much more efficient is available from the start... I mean you do you but that's a weird reason
    Last edited by Gigantique; 2022-10-01 at 10:41 PM.

Dragonriding is cool, but it would be great to have the option to use regular flying in Dragon Isles too. Sometimes you just want to autofly not have to micromanage the flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    I've maxed it out on beta and it is hands down the best movement system the game has ever seen imo. Once you unlock the final talents (it's not timegated either you just need to find the glyphs in the world once per account to unlock it for every character) you can easily mantain permanent 930% speed with little effort, zooming all over the place. Need to be AFK? Fly onto a mountaintop or a nook, hope nobody flies by and kills you. If that's too spook for you just play without War Mode.
    I'll check mountain tops and nooks when I can't find people elsewhere, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Dragonriding is cool, but it would be great to have the option to use regular flying in Dragon Isles too. Sometimes you just want to autofly not have to micromanage the flying.
    Then use flight paths?

Don't care for it from my time on beta, but that's without any of the glyphs/perks.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't feel great. I would have preferred if we got regular flying with the new features added on top. They're taking away a lot of what makes flying fun and I don't think they're making up for it enough.
    How would that work? And what "a lot of fun?" There is none of fun in current flying.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I have beta access (and alpha before it) and I like Dragon Riding, even if my accounts have most concentrated on other stuff so as to not spoil too much of the experience.

It's going to take some people more time than others to get used to the system. And it;s not necessarily the people who have no experience with the system. I think people who have experience with similar systems in other games may try to play DR as they would in the other games, and it is nto quite the same thing.

The other big thing to keep in mind is that DR gets FAR better and more usuable and more fun as you unlock the sigils/points that you put into your DR skill tree. Especially early on going from 3 to 4 available "energy" is a huge upgrade and really noticable in how much more and how much further you can get.

Most of the basic stuff in the game seems designed around spending 1 energy or 3 energy. Fishing nodes seem about 1 energy spent "hop" apart. You can do most things and reasonably build up the energy again to hop to the next spot. Anything that feels bad cause you can't do it, is just something you have to grow your DR skill in to learn.

Another thing that will have people clash on this subject is that you get thrown into a new area where you do not know the lay of the land AND you get this new, quite fast mode of transportation. The 2 combined will occasionally lead people to end up in spots where they have no energy left to go up, and are stuck on a mountain side cause they didn;t realize this was not the correct path to take to get from A to B, and that you need a far more advanced DR set up to be able to do what they were trying to do. This is something that is REALLY frustrating when it happens. I had it happen in my first day or 2. But you learn the way the landscape works and you learn your limitations with the DR and at that point you won;t get stuck on mountain sides anymore.

Last thing I'll add is this: On beta, even after all this time, there's still occasions where the flight has things happen where you go "why the hell did that happen?". Pretty much all fo these are due to stalling at low speed and/or a bad angle of flight and/or trying to turn at high speed and suddenly losing speed. With more time and more "energy" to spend on DR, these issues will be less, because you are less and less trying to make every energy count to the max, and instead of waiting for that extra bit where you end up stalling, you just spend the energy and speed up and not have the issue at all.

Funny thing is, if you want to get better at Dragon Riding, I can HIGHLY recommend you try and do the Dragon Racing stops in every zone. They will teach you how to move with your Dragon far better because it stresses your abilities to perform certain actions and do certain things and the best part is that if you fail, you automatically get back to the start point and get full energy again. This means that trying something new and learning how to do things does not come with the penalty of the aformentioned Mountain Side Breather.

Some people will never like DR, mostly based on prejudices of what it should be or of what they do not have with the system, but I think anyone that gives the system the chance to become natural to them and who works even a little on building it up, will find it fun and useful. I certainly do, and I have done barely anything to build up my Dragon Riding on Beta (was a little further on Alpha before it was wiped).
    I appreciate you sharing your experience! You seem to know what you're talking about which is why I ask you this: Care to explain to me/others what Dragonflight expansion has to offer for end game content? I remember in BFA you had to farm azerite or whatever it was called.. Once I ding max level, what to do other than farming dungeons for gear. Anything specific you gotta do, like is there something that must be done before next reset?

Thanks in advance!
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

Would have been fun for a WQ but quickly anoying to travel. I prefer regular flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    I appreciate you sharing your experience! You seem to know what you're talking about which is why I ask you this: Care to explain to me/others what Dragonflight expansion has to offer for end game content? I remember in BFA you had to farm azerite or whatever it was called.. Once I ding max level, what to do other than farming dungeons for gear. Anything specific you gotta do, like is there something that must be done before next reset?

Thanks in advance!
    Not who you quoted but as of right now there's nothing really. You have the Great Vault like in SL and that's it. No borrowed systems or bars you have to fill or quotas to reach every Mon/Tue before reset day. There are plenty of optional stuff for reps etc but nothing mandatory on the level of Legion>SL.

I'm very much looking forward to just logging on and doing the things I actually enjoy in the game asap.

It feels great, after doing the 22 min 48 glyph collection, you end up really feeling engaged when just flying a short distance. keeping the unlimited momentum.
    and best of all, you get places faster than a 320 mount. (dragonflying is avg 900%+ speed)

With a full talent tree you basically have unlimited dives and lift offs, you'll regenerate vigor faster than you can spend it.

My only annoyance, is that i cant dismount using my normal attacks, i'm so used to dismounting by pressing fireball, and with the new actionbar thats not happening.

Furthermore coming from a DH, and leveling an evoker, the amount of times i've double jumped to glide, ending up sending my dragon into a 4 sec liftoff, me trying to dismount, ending in a dc, is just annoying af. When you just wanna do small 50-100y flights.

But i feel like i can get over that, if it means having more fun than autorunning across the continent.
    Last edited by Kaykay; 2022-10-02 at 11:37 AM.

Insanely fun, I can understand why someone still wants to just press autorun and fly in direction x to go afk/tab out for a while so I still think normal flying should be available immediately as well... but to me I will never use a normal flying mount again.

Travel/movement mechanics have been under-utilized as gameplay for 16+ years now, dragonriding flips that on it's head and it's great.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that a you/expectation problem completely?

Dragonriding is probably the #1 reason I'm not getting DF (though not the only reason by any stretch).

I don't want my movement to be a minigame. I just want it to get me from A to B so I can play the ACTUAL game there.

If I ever give DF a chance, it'll be after regular flying is enabled.
    Sounds to me like blizz is adding something that they think people are excited about, but its kind of shit lawl