Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    4 things.

1. Marvel and superhero fatigue. Contributes directly to audiences being bored of going to the cinema because all they see is SUPERHEROMAN or whatever. Hollywood coming out with one mediocrity or remake after the other also contributes to fatigue.

2. Development of tv's. Most of us got good tv's that can compete with the cinematic experience.

3. Covid ruined the social experience of going out to catch a movie. More people got accustomed to staying in their own homes to watch stuff.

4. Subscription based streaming services.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    and then you have the $40-50 in Gas it takes to get there
    Yeah, if you have to drive to a whole different city just to go to the movies then it’s not worth it regardless of the other costs. You’re spending more time in the car than the runtime of the movie at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    You just dialed it up to 11 on the clueless meter. If the admissions for theaters dies
    then there won't be any more more big movies with awe-inspiring vfx because
    streamers can't carry that kind of weight, now or for the foreseeable future.
    What on earth are you talking about? People would still be viewing movies, just at home. What does that have to do with streamers? I'd see a TON more movies if I could pay the ticket price and watch at home. I haven't gone to the theater since pre-COVID. But there are a ton of movies I'd watch right now if I could watch it at my bloody house, and I'd pay ticket price. Now you could argue people could buy 1 ticket and have 10 people watch or copy the movie but that's no different than pirating already.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Choice A-over priced ticket, over priced snacks, no ability to pause if need to use bathroom, forced to listen to the munching/groaning/rustling of others.

Choice B-purchase movie/eat what you want/pause when needed/only have to listen to SO or kids and you can tell them to shut the h**l up.

The choice is clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    And it was a terrible movie in general.
    All they did was try recreate scenes from the first one for nostalgic purposes.
    You sure you've seen it? Seems like your comments are just regurgitation of other Tom Cruise haters.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by will232 View Post
    Tbh i don't really know if cinemas are a thing now I haven't seen quality movies even marvel makes bad movies man
    I mean I don't see the evidence when the newest movie released just had the largest opening for any November movie ever:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/13/blac...ox-office.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    You just dialed it up to 11 on the clueless meter. If the admissions for theaters dies
    then there won't be any more more big movies with awe-inspiring vfx because
    streamers can't carry that kind of weight, now or for the foreseeable future.
    I'm guessing you mean that revenue would drop to the point they might not be able to afford the vfx? It could be an issue for sure. Anecdotal evidence suggests people would purchase and watch at home, but lots of factors there, that I don't have the data for. I am shocked though, that COVID didn't kill movie theaters.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    What can i say. Yes they are dead. Last month i really wanted go to the cinema. Aaaand there was literally nothin to watch. There were still Top Gun and some kids shit.

Quote Originally Posted by will232 View Post
    Tbh i don't really know if cinemas are a thing now I haven't seen quality movies even marvel makes bad movies man
    Tell me you're retarded, without telling me you're retarded...

Posts a statement as the title, then immediately contradict yourself in your first sentence. Fucking brilliant mate.

It all depends on where you are. We have like 20ish different movie theatres in my city, and all of them do well enough that they're still in business and always busy.

And while most of us enjoy Marvel movies, I don't think anyone thinks those are "quality" movies. They're entertaining, but that's about it.

Cinema as a way to see movies doesn't seem to be dying out anytime soon.
    Partly because of the quality of the viewing, but most importantly because it is a social event outside your home.
    Cinemas just aren't the only way to watch a movie today.
    I'll bet that newspapers, as in paper newspapers, will die out before movies in cinemas.

Personally I quite rarely go the cinema, but that is mainly because I find the majority of movies made today boring, but that is a me-problem, and I seem to be in the minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    I mean I don't see the evidence when the newest movie released just had the largest opening for any November movie ever:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/13/blac...ox-office.html
    The person you're talking to is talking about qualitative measures, not quantitative.

Justin Bieber sold more albums than U2, Frank Sinatra, David Bowie, Johnny Cash and Stevie Wonder combined, and his career has lasted only a fraction of theirs.

Now you know the difference between quantity and quality.

It's become way WAAAAAAAAY to expensive...
    It used to be a 10 euro per ticket. Snack another 5-15.
    Now? Tickets are 25-30 for good imax seats. Snacks another 20-30. Each.

So going on a movie date? Thats a MINIMUM 75 euro. And thats if you do nothing else. A mcdonalds or whatever on top? Above 100 bucks... Nah, not worth it anymore.
    We can go to a fine dining restaurant experience for the same cash. Much much better value for my money. And we still pirate the movie and watch it while it's still in the cinema.
    Last edited by tomten; 2022-11-14 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    4 things.

1. Marvel and superhero fatigue. Contributes directly to audiences being bored of going to the cinema because all they see is SUPERHEROMAN or whatever. Hollywood coming out with one mediocrity or remake after the other also contributes to fatigue.
    People keep saying stuff like this, and there's no evidence for it whatsoever.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...__resort#table

There's the box office returns for Marvel films. Ignoring re-releases, that's 30 films. It's just domestic, but we're mostly talking about NA cultural "fatigue" so I don't see that as a negative in this example, but the overall trend is gonna be similar with global revenue anyway.

Here's that data graphed over time, by lifetime revenue (I rounded to the nearest hundred million to toss this off quickly);

I notice now the title's still the vertical axis title, don't care enough to fix it. Point remains; movie-by-movie the figures are all over, but that red line's the overall trendline, and it's still going up. The big dip with Black Widow through Eternals is pretty much the pandemic dip, too. MoM and T:L&T both did just fine; there's no observable dip. They're slightly below the overall trendline because that's boosted up slightly by the Avengers films and the latest Spider-Man, which is a massive outlier for a non-team-up film (and a recent one).

There is no "fatigue". You may be "fatigued", but it's not a trend visible in the returns.

And yes; I didn't put the new Black Panther on there. Wouldn't be fair, since it literally just came out. But the opening was strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah, if you have to drive to a whole different city just to go to the movies then it’s not worth it regardless of the other costs. You’re spending more time in the car than the runtime of the movie at that point.
    I have to drive to a "City" which in my mind is anything over 2k population, to go anywhere. Live 30-45 mins from any population over that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    With top gun becoming one of the top grossing movies of all time, movie theaters are fine.
    because they don't count inflation and number of theaters etc
    put that in competition and u'll be surprised how many of 'top' movies aren't even close to top
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? People would still be viewing movies, just at home. What does that have to do with streamers? I'd see a TON more movies if I could pay the ticket price and watch at home. I haven't gone to the theater since pre-COVID. But there are a ton of movies I'd watch right now if I could watch it at my bloody house, and I'd pay ticket price. Now you could argue people could buy 1 ticket and have 10 people watch or copy the movie but that's no different than pirating already.
    The shortening of the period between becoming available for a first view in a theater or in a few cases at home on ppv had gotten appreciably shorter,. Basically cut it in half. Too much of the public will now wait the 45 days to see it for free where in days of yore they would not wait the 90+ days for that to happen. In fact in general ppv is no longer the factor it once was. You nay be willing to pay an at home premium but not enough of the public does to make that model profitable enough to base an industry on.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-11-15 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I have to drive to a "City" which in my mind is anything over 2k population, to go anywhere. Live 30-45 mins from any population over that.
    Well you said $40-50 for gas so even with some really shoddy MPG you’re saying you drive over 100 miles each way (well over an hour each way) to get to a movie theater which seems outlandish and totally not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Well you said $40-50 for gas so even with some really shoddy MPG you’re saying you drive over 100 miles each way (well over an hour each way) to get to a movie theater which seems outlandish and totally not worth it.
    Hell, I live across from a theatre and I can't even afford going with the price of everything else having gone up. That extra $10 I had at the end of the week has gone to milk and bread, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I was agreeing with you. 2 movies in the last year cracking the top 11 of all time is a definitive sign that cinemas are not dead
    The movies pulling these numbers are starting to be few and far between. You also can’t go off straight ticket sales as tickets tend to be a lot more expensive than the past. When adjusted for inflation neither are in the top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I was agreeing with you. 2 movies in the last year cracking the top 11 of all time is a definitive sign that cinemas are not dead
    Theaters can not survive on just big films. Without loads of smaller, less expensive films too many are in deep doo doo. Especially those with a crap ton of screens. Those tend to be in high cost areas and need every screen to be playing with the normal amount of different types of movies. Having the current blockbuster on 2/3rds of your screens in the long run doesn't bring in more total business.

If those large theaters fail it's game over unless and until someone else takes over. Smaller theaters had a different set of problems, theirs was to survive the worst of the pandemic with next to no business. After the audience started showing up again in their case they simply don't have a bunch of screens empty because they have far fewer screens.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-11-17 at 10:28 AM.

So is the proper use of apostrophes.