Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I wish chromie time also let you quest in the old zones pre-cata

I wish that Blizzard could implement a way for chromie time to just allow you to experience the old Kalimdor/Eastern kingdoms once again pre-cataclysm (without playing classic)

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    I wish that Blizzard could implement a way for chromie time to just allow you to experience the old Kalimdor/Eastern kingdoms once again pre-cataclysm (without playing classic)
    Would be nice to be able to go around and experience the zones how they use to be. I miss old hillsbrad(lfm Foreman Bonds) and thousand needles. But I'm sure most people will say to just go level in classic if you want to see the old zones again. Which is a valid point.
    However with the somewhat recent addition of having a bronze dragonflight person is several zones(like silithus and vale) able to turn the zone back to a previous time, I would be all for them implementing something similar to see zones in their pre-cata forms.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah...literally I don't know what are they waiting for, maybe it can make some players come back too which didn't wanted to start over on classic

Same.
    Honestly they could just add a portal in the caverns of time for it.

Hell, add portals for all non-recurring event-locations.
    I've heard MoP makes a lot more sense with Wrathion questlines intact.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The problem with the old Vanilla zones is that they are not designed for modern WoW, as in your FoV, Fog, render distance etc is all much much higher than what was possible back then. This means that you can often see just how truly broken some of those zones are, especially cities. Both OG and Stormwind are good examples where you can suddenly see broken terrain and stuff (or the hilariously low res Stormwind Castle), which is the case in Wotlk Classic. So I'd say if they brought back these zones, it would have to be with quite a lot of refinements (not just those reasons I mentioned), so overall it's probably just not worth it.

Would be still cool tho.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Implementation effort notwithstanding, this is a really neat idea. The biggest hurdle I can think of off the cuff is do they disable flying in the Old Phase? Word on the street is the old world was not meant to be seen from certain directions. Reintroducing all those old quest givers and stuff too, but all those files are already installed for Classic so that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Implementation effort notwithstanding, this is a really neat idea. The biggest hurdle I can think of off the cuff is do they disable flying in the Old Phase? Word on the street is the old world was not meant to be seen from certain directions. Reintroducing all those old quest givers and stuff too, but all those files are already installed for Classic so that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker.
    It's like when you go to Chromie time and select 'cataclysm' that to me shouldn't even be an option as even if you don't select a chromie time, you're still in a cataclysm era world, what it should be is pre-cataclysm or prior to deathwing, all the old quests/chains/zones/npcs etc, yeah you could disable flying like the tech they use in Silvermoon City etc.

Probably can't be done, but the files are there as classic is a thing.

The original redesign was prompted by the need to add flying to the old world, and if you had tried to fly over the vanilla world it would have become clear that it was very much not seamless, so they HAD to do a redesign (of course they didn't need to make such radical changes but I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time).

Now, if you'll be happy without the ability to fly when in Chromie-time then they really ought to be able to let you have the original zone maps. Not to mention that PvPers would probably love it too.

They could do this pretty trivially, they have the maps and the data, just offer a bronze dragon that teleports you into the old map. And yes of course flight would need to be disabled too.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    They could do this pretty trivially, they have the maps and the data, just offer a bronze dragon that teleports you into the old map. And yes of course flight would need to be disabled too.
    It isn't that simple... it might be far easier with the rework for classic but a lot more changed under the hood then a simply copy paste would allow.

Honestly they should remake the old world every so many expansions to keep it caught up in the current narrative structure. Looking at how easy classic WoW is in this day and age shows that WoW was a once in a generation style of game and that once its figured out along with the tools to figure it out alot of that luster has faded away, we figured it out.

But also how much of a population is there today in the current game that would monetary sense to do such a thing? I am assuming its not just a flip of a switch ( looking at how the battle for undercity is playing out ) and would require actual time and investment to produce and there has to be a player number at a specific level to do it but is that number there? i have no idea and neither does anyone else on this forum
    Last edited by jeezusisacasual; 2022-09-30 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It isn't that simple... it might be far easier with the rework for classic but a lot more changed under the hood then a simply copy paste would allow.
    I remember when people said this for exporting the new character models (defined as: Bones that move with your character). Not even a few weeks later they were ported over to Wrath of the Lich King private servers without a SINGLE ISSUE. Any glitches were fixed within a few weeks at most. I'll never forget users on this forum saying that these models would never work because old clients just "couldn't support it"

So yes, I'm sure it is that simple

No sarcasm here, this really can't be an easy task for Blizzard to implement. Old world, old maps to be able to shift between Classic version and retail. And also what happens then with major cities if you would choose pre-cata world? To me, it seems asking abit too much of Blizzard.

Because basicly what you are asking for is (for lack of better world) have two different WOW "clients" baked into one game, where it would run simultaneously. Talking to a NPC that would instantly activate codes for designated WOW version whether its pre or post cata.
    Last edited by Restors; 2022-09-30 at 08:42 PM.

Yes, more content is always better
    MMO Champs :

That'd be awesome. Or just a portal to old azeroth on a separate world rather than a phase change. Without flying of course.

The old zones are fucking horrible in all aspects.
    Traversing is dogshit, quests are dogshit, layout is dogshit.

There is Classic for you to suffer these trash piles of zones.

The modern game does not need 2 versions of OG or SW for the 10 players who would actually be willing to stand around and level in the old world.
    Your nostalgia has been verified, play your fucking dead classic wow servers. Not even Classic people play on those, how the fuck do you think you can convince anyone that you would spend any amount of time leveling in pre-cata felwood.
    You cant cuz you wouldnt cuz you dont do it right now. So stay sit please.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    The old zones are fucking horrible in all aspects.
    Traversing is dogshit, quests are dogshit, layout is dogshit.

There is Classic for you to suffer these trash piles of zones.

The modern game does not need 2 versions of OG or SW for the 10 players who would actually be willing to stand around and level in the old world.
    Your nostalgia has been verified, play your fucking dead classic wow servers. Not even Classic people play on those, how the fuck do you think you can convince anyone that you would spend any amount of time leveling in pre-cata felwood.
    You cant cuz you wouldnt cuz you dont do it right now. So stay sit please.
    It doesn't matter if you like it or not, content shouldn't just vanish like the old world did. I probably wouldn't use many if any of them either, but the option to do so wouldn't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    No sarcasm here, this really can't be an easy task for Blizzard to implement. Old world, old maps to be able to shift between Classic version and retail. And also what happens then with major cities if you would choose pre-cata world? To me, it seems asking abit too much of Blizzard.

Because basicly what you are asking for is (for lack of better world) have two different WOW "clients" baked into one game, where it would run simultaneously. Talking to a NPC that would instantly activate codes for designated WOW version whether its pre or post cata.
    I don't see why it would be that complicated. Outland btw, you can't just fly there from any other area. It's just as seperated from Shadowlands as Pandaria is. As long as classic and retail can run on the same client Blizzard could simply have old and new Kalimdor/Eastern in the game and treat it as another Outland.

people asked for flex leveling zones and it happened where outland/northrend had a variety of scaling, also few other expansions
    Then people asked for more flexibility and blizz made the chromie thing

when will people like you stop asking for stuff ? 100% if blizz did that you will ask for more
    Last edited by dragonflight10; 2022-10-02 at 07:54 PM.

That woud be cool. They aready have the capabiity, right? You can talk to NPCs to revert many zones.

What I would like is for old toys (e.g. legendaries, artifacts) to continue working in their original zones only. Just for the memories.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"