1. #1

    Dragonflight Date Release Trailer

    So I've watched the trailer a few times by now, and I think the artists definitely knocked it out of the park as usual. The world looks gorgeous.

    But the voiceover for the trailer is milquetoast bullshit. Who is speaking? Are they speaking to you or just reading lines?

    "The future will unfold as it was meant to." Hint for Murozond? Why not make this clear? Does this not contradict the Jailer's last words? What even does this mean??

    "The threat is greater than you know, young one." What threat?

    "We must join forces and strike now!" Against WHO?

    "All that matters is this moment..." Why? What is this destiny you speak of?

    The voiceover belongs in one of those millions of Asian Mobile MMO ads that pop up, not WoW. Whoever greenlighted this video must have thought it was good enough, but it's not.

    The Shadowlands video showed well-known characters, a voice over whom we knew, some actual terror, and the Jailer just sounded threatening. That was a hype video.

    Dragonflight's video is about soaring through the land. Visiting unknown places. Amazing visuals. Dragons! And it is saddled with a voice over that is throwing every terrible WoW aphorism against the wall hoping something sticks.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

  2. #2
    Merely a Setback FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    25,035
    ??? Bro is this your first ever trailer for anything?

    Talking vaguely about unnamed threats is literally just normal, its supposed to be like
    "Hey we gotta work together to beat the big bad... who is the big bad? well you will need ot play to find out!"

    Overall most of your complaints are that the trailer does not reveal the entire expansions story which like, is a good thing, far too many trailers reveal way too much of the movie or game, this one just says GO PLAY AND FIND OUT.

  3. #3
    Put closed captions on and you can see who is saying what.

  4. #4
    Blizzard specifically stated that this expanison (or at least its earlier stages) will steer away from world-shattering calamities. Kinda makes sense for the big bad and the other more serious aspects of the plot to remain concealed at this point, we're supposed to enjoy the scenery, witness Azeroth rebuild, THEN address whatever great threat that comes after max level/10.1/whatever. Spoiling the later phases of the expansion two months before release would be really bad marketing, and generally speaking DF is supposed to be sparse with all the terror.

  5. #5
    I mean, this is literally the launch date reveal trailer, something we've never had before.

    You are comparing it to, what, the CGI Launch Trailer?

  6. #6
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    So I've watched the trailer a few times by now, and I think the artists definitely knocked it out of the park as usual. The world looks gorgeous.

    But the voiceover for the trailer is milquetoast bullshit. Who is speaking? Are they speaking to you or just reading lines?

    "The future will unfold as it was meant to." Hint for Murozond? Why not make this clear? Does this not contradict the Jailer's last words? What even does this mean??

    "The threat is greater than you know, young one." What threat?

    "We must join forces and strike now!" Against WHO?

    "All that matters is this moment..." Why? What is this destiny you speak of?

    The voiceover belongs in one of those millions of Asian Mobile MMO ads that pop up, not WoW. Whoever greenlighted this video must have thought it was good enough, but it's not.

    The Shadowlands video showed well-known characters, a voice over whom we knew, some actual terror, and the Jailer just sounded threatening. That was a hype video.

    Dragonflight's video is about soaring through the land. Visiting unknown places. Amazing visuals. Dragons! And it is saddled with a voice over that is throwing every terrible WoW aphorism against the wall hoping something sticks.
    You are digging way too deep into a release date trailer, not the actual trailer.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Overall most of your complaints are that the trailer does not reveal the entire expansions story which like, is a good thing, far too many trailers reveal way too much of the movie or game, this one just says GO PLAY AND FIND OUT.
    I would have liked one scene setting up who is talking. Maybe a fade from the speaker to dragons flying.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Spoiling the later phases of the expansion two months before release would be really bad marketing, and generally speaking DF is supposed to be sparse with all the terror.
    I don't want the big bad spoiled. The entire voiceover has the appearance of weight, but the substance of fluff. Like the Jailer's last words.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    You are comparing it to, what, the CGI Launch Trailer?
    No. I'm comparing it to the Shadowlands trailer that came out during the big launch party. That one set up the tone of the early parts of the expac without being overly vague and aphoristic.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

  8. #8
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,532
    Given how embarassing the Eternity's End trailer was, I suspect that the people who made the stellar trailers from a decade ago are long gone.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    I would have liked one scene setting up who is talking. Maybe a fade from the speaker to dragons flying.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I don't want the big bad spoiled. The entire voiceover has the appearance of weight, but the substance of fluff. Like the Jailer's last words.

    - - - Updated - - -



    No. I'm comparing it to the Shadowlands trailer that came out during the big launch party. That one set up the tone of the early parts of the expac without being overly vague and aphoristic.
    That one?


    Or are you referring to that one, because I've got bad news for you, that's not even equivalent to the Launch Date Reveal Trailer.


  10. #10
    Field Marshal lllll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    That one?


    Or are you referring to that one, because I've got bad news for you, that's not even equivalent to the Launch Date Reveal Trailer.

    Maybe it's this one?


  11. #11
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    So I've watched the trailer a few times by now, and I think the artists definitely knocked it out of the park as usual. The world looks gorgeous.

    But the voiceover for the trailer is milquetoast bullshit. Who is speaking? Are they speaking to you or just reading lines?

    "The future will unfold as it was meant to." Hint for Murozond? Why not make this clear? Does this not contradict the Jailer's last words? What even does this mean??

    "The threat is greater than you know, young one." What threat?

    "We must join forces and strike now!" Against WHO?

    "All that matters is this moment..." Why? What is this destiny you speak of?

    The voiceover belongs in one of those millions of Asian Mobile MMO ads that pop up, not WoW. Whoever greenlighted this video must have thought it was good enough, but it's not.

    The Shadowlands video showed well-known characters, a voice over whom we knew, some actual terror, and the Jailer just sounded threatening. That was a hype video.

    Dragonflight's video is about soaring through the land. Visiting unknown places. Amazing visuals. Dragons! And it is saddled with a voice over that is throwing every terrible WoW aphorism against the wall hoping something sticks.
    I say the opposite. The voice was better than the artwork. I can admit the artwork is good, as in it is well made…. For fortnite. This new bright coloured shit is not WoW.

  12. #12
    It's a pretty underwhelming release trailer. I think they are worried about spoiling stuff, but it came at the quality of the trailer's expense.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll View Post
    Maybe it's this one?

    Sure, but that's the Launch Cinematic, released like a few days before the expansion came out.

    We are still to get that Trailer.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    The Shadowlands video showed well-known characters, a voice over whom we knew, some actual terror, and the Jailer just sounded threatening. That was a hype video.
    Suuuuuuuure.


  15. #15
    This was the trailer what was released with the release date for Shadowlands.

    As evidenced here: https://www.wowhead.com/news/world-o...trailer-318835
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    This was the trailer what was released with the release date for Shadowlands.
    No, it was story trailer released month before launch of Shadowlands. It contains only scenes from pre-patch/launch in-game cinematics.

    It was released right after annoucing DELAYED release date. Equivalent of last DF trailer presenting gameplay/world of expansion is what I show you in previous post, that also came 2 months before release date (before delay, of course).

  17. #17
    What kind of a reaction is that? All your questions will be answered, in the game, in two months time.

    Quote Originally Posted by InsightTimer37 View Post
    It's a pretty underwhelming release trailer. I think they are worried about spoiling stuff, but it came at the quality of the trailer's expense.
    I think it's pretty good for what it is. Very well animated too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •