10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Well, seeing as democrats generally don't want to see them put in cages, don't call them drug peddling rapists, or want to pass laws requiring them to carry around proof of citizenship "just in case," I can certainly understand why.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

This is what you call shooting yourself in the foot under Bush republicans were well on their way to get the bulk of Latino votes but they decided to use them as punching bags to rile up the white vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    This is what you call shooting yourself in the foot under Bush republicans were well on their way to get the bulk of Latino votes but they decided to use them as punching bags to rile up the white vote.
    That is why they are doing every voter suppression tactic they can find, til they get struck down in the courts.

10+ Year Old Account
    have yet to hear a democrat say "there will be taco trucks on every corner" as a "be afraid!!!" line in a speech
    meanwhile, the GOP cheered and elected that guy president

the GOP that claims to love small business owners
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    have yet to hear a democrat say "there will be taco trucks on every corner" as a "be afraid!!!" line in a speech
    meanwhile, the GOP cheered and elected that guy president

the GOP that claims to love small business owners
    I mean, thats my dream, not because I am afraid of Latinos, but because I fucking love tacos.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I mean Republicans ran a huge campaign against Latinos for the last 50ish years to drum up ignorant white voters. Of course Latinos would prefer Democrats. What I think Republicans didn't expect is how quickly the Latino population would start growing and voting, so now they're attempting to fix their mistake of painting Latinos as monsters by... attempting to stop them from voting.

You'd think the party that preaches about personal responsibility would take responsibility for their shitty actions, but we all know personal responsibility is the last thing Republicans want. They're just gonna lie, cheat, steal, and gerrymander their way out of as much responsibility as they can.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Latinos understandably prefer Democrats, but I'm not convinced that means Democrats are *good*. Just, a lot better than the alternative. It would probably be nice to be a PoC and not have your choice of voting ticket already decided for you because there's only one "not literally fucking racist" party available.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    Latinos understandably prefer Democrats, but I'm not convinced that means Democrats are *good*. Just, a lot better than the alternative. It would probably be nice to be a PoC and not have your choice of voting ticket already decided for you because there's only one "not literally fucking racist" party available.
    That's the problem with the American political system we only got two choices, minorities tend to lean more democrat because the opposition is running fascists, white supremacists, Qanon and all sorts of people who don't think they should exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    ya, hear it plenty from the republicans that say things like "you know the KKK started with the democrats but they don't want to talk about it" (ignoring the irony of how often they'll use the "it was so long ago" excuse to avoid talking about anything else that happened back then, or like where the KKK and other bigots hang out now)

the difference is, democrats, give POCs an actual seat at the table, so we affect policy, we dragged that party into being better than it was

Republicans have a member say "If you're a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal." and they don't bat an eye. its that's "if you're not one of us, you best get back where you came from" mindset that chases people off since I can assure you, any "young, African American or an immigrant" isn't gonna be asked their politics before some republican decides they want them gone.

would it be better with more parties, yes, but it would likely end out like the news media landscape
    a bunch of center-right groups, and one far right group that gets a plurality
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2022-10-01 at 04:37 AM.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    ya, hear it plenty from the republicans that say things like "you know the KKK started with the democrats but they don't want to talk about it" (ignoring the irony of how often they'll use the "it was so long ago" excuse to avoid talking about anything else that happened back then, or like where the KKK and other bigots hang out now)

the difference is, democrats, give POCs an actual seat at the table, so we affect policy, we dragged that party into being better than it was

Republicans have a member say "If you're a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal." and they don't bat an eye. its that's "if you're not one of us, you best get back where you came from" mindset that chases people off since I can assure you, any "young, African American or an immigrant" isn't gonna be asked their politics before some republican decides they want them gone.

would it be better with more parties, yes, but it would likely end out like the news media landscape
    a bunch of center-right groups, and one far right group that gets a plurality
    I see the future of the political landscape shaking out in a few ways:

1. The GOP ousts the crazies from their ranks, pulls themselves back towards the center, and maybe starts courting newer demograpics. Unfortunately for them, if the GOP's history since 2008 is any indicator, they are doing the exact opposite of this.

2. The GOP slides further and further into obscurity as their ever-dwindling demographics causes them to eventually vanish, and a new party emerges in opposition to the democrats. Hopefully one more progressive than they.

or 3. The GOP grasps at their strings of power with an unholy force, wrenching their way into a state of fascist rule where they control the votes and government, deposing any and all opposition and leading with a brutal minority of power backed by jack-booted thug supporters and twisted laws that enshrine their ill-gotten power in a way completely antithetical to American democracy. Many people seem to think this is a foregone conclusion; I do not. The GOP certainly wants it to be that way, and I'm sure they certainly want people to think that it's a foregone conclusion as well. I have no doubt that they're trying to do this, which is why it's so important to fight them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I see the future of the political landscape shaking out in a few ways:

1. The GOP ousts the crazies from their ranks, pulls themselves back towards the center, and maybe starts courting newer demograpics. Unfortunately for them, if the GOP's history since 2008 is any indicator, they are doing the exact opposite of this.

2. The GOP slides further and further into obscurity as their ever-dwindling demographics causes them to eventually vanish, and a new party emerges in opposition to the democrats. Hopefully one more progressive than they.

or 3. The GOP grasps at their strings of power with an unholy force, wrenching their way into a state of fascist rule where they control the votes and government, deposing any and all opposition and leading with a brutal minority of power backed by jack-booted thug supporters and twisted laws that enshrine their ill-gotten power in a way completely antithetical to American democracy. Many people seem to think this is a foregone conclusion; I do not. The GOP certainly wants it to be that way, and I'm sure they certainly want people to think that it's a foregone conclusion as well. I have no doubt that they're trying to do this, which is why it's so important to fight them.
    The only option they have is number 3 and the way I see it because of said crazies there is no way for them to not turn the country against them in doing so. I think abortion is the perfect example of this, it was already effectively banned but the crazies needed Roe to be overturned. For decades they have successfully been using the boil the frog approach but now that's out the window.