10+ Year Old Account

Flashing Bios Msi B550

Hello, i've been assembling new parts in my pc. I have a Msi Tomahawk B550 mb that i'm going to use a Ryzen 5600 cpu in. From my understanding this means i will have to update the bios. So i watched the video on doing the bios update. The problem is that i have already assembled the pc. In the video he did the Bios update with nothing installed on the board. I removed everything easy to take off like ram and storage drive.

I do not want to remove the cpu. I had a bit of trouble starting the screws, and don't want to go thru thermal pasting and all that again.

Should I be okay updating bios using bios flash back, with the cpu installed? Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Hello, i've been assembling new parts in my pc. I have a Msi Tomahawk B550 mb that i'm going to use a Ryzen 5600 cpu in. From my understanding this means i will have to update the bios. So i watched the video on doing the bios update. The problem is that i have already assembled the pc. In the video he did the Bios update with nothing installed on the board. I removed everything easy to take off like ram and storage drive.

I do not want to remove the cpu. I had a bit of trouble starting the screws, and don't want to go thru thermal pasting and all that again.

Should I be okay updating bios using bios flash back, with the cpu installed? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Could you boot into bios before removing stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    I never tried to turn it on. Thought i would have to update the bios before the chip will work in the motherboard. I was wiring the computer when i watched the bios flashing video.

- - - Updated - - -

I've gone ahead and disassembled it. Got the cpu out no problems. Paste was messy, but i should be okay now.

You can update the BIOS using BIOS flashback with everything installed, I've flashed my bios a half dozen times on my MSI B550 board without disassembling anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

10+ Year Old Account
    The bios firmware is just stored on a chip on the board usually flash memory, I've never heard of any reason why you should ever need to disassemble a PC to flash the bios.
    Speciation Is Gradual

As other people have said, you shouldn't have to remove anything at all to install a new bios.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the comments. I've flashed the bios. Currently re assembling the pc. Its good to know i won't have to take it apart again if the bios didn't take. Everything looked like it happened like it was supposed to.

I'll update when turn everything on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    You can update the BIOS using BIOS flashback with everything installed, I've flashed my bios a half dozen times on my MSI B550 board without disassembling anything.
    Thats good to know, thanks for your comment.

Thanks for the comments. I've flashed the bios. Currently re assembling the pc. Its good to know i won't have to take it apart again if the bios didn't take. Everything looked like it happened like it was supposed to.

I'll update when turn everything on.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats good to know, thanks for your comment.
    Once you get a BIOS which works well for you, I'd highly recommend grabbing a cheap USB, setting it up for BIOS Flashback with that good BIOS, and sticky-taping it to the back of your computer or something. Just so if you update the BIOS and things go to shit, you won't be scrambling for another computer to set up a BIOS flashback USB on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Thanks for the comments. I've flashed the bios. Currently re assembling the pc. Its good to know i won't have to take it apart again if the bios didn't take.
    That would mean you'd have to disassemble it each time a BIOS update comes up, would be quite cumbersome. No, you can update BIOS on a working rig without the need to disassemble anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    That would mean you'd have to disassemble it each time a BIOS update comes up, would be quite cumbersome. No, you can update BIOS on a working rig without the need to disassemble anything at all.
    There is a difference between what hes talking about and simply normally updating your EFI/BIOS. The former is doing it WITHOUT booting into the EFI shell. Sometimes, board manufacturers have weird requirements for their no-CPU/no-install EFI/BIOS flashing methods. The latter is just booting into the (already working) EFI shell and updating manually. THAT should enver require a dissassembly.

However, it appears that at least with MSI, this is not a concern, as it will work even if stuff is installed.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, i've been assembling new parts in my pc. I have a Msi Tomahawk B550 mb that i'm going to use a Ryzen 5600 cpu in.
    Its also worth noting that depending on when you bought the board and where you bought it from, it quite likely it was already updated. Usually within a month or two of a new CPU family release, existing stock is updated. Usually theyll denote it with a sticker on the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    So maybe I didn't need to update the bios, but I did. Everything is working fine now. I ended up disassembling the pc and using m-flash, re assembling it and it's all good. Thanks for all your replies.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2022-10-10 at 06:10 AM.