Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beuargh View Post
    you can change all the affixes you want. if the player decided he's going to play DPS, that's what he's gonna do.
    True but what if more responsibility was shifted over to the DPS instead of being on the tank or healer? Let's say it's a DPS mechanic where they have sacrifice DPS uptime to do X?

Nothing the tank or healer can do will mitigate the mechanic. This way if there's a wipe, it can squarely be blamed on the DPS for "being stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by Beuargh View Post
    hence my question: what blizzard need to do to make OP play tank or healer?
    I mean what if playing tank or healer gives guarantees (non-tradable) loot at end of dungeon or provides a "bag of resources" that's the equivalent of 5k gold?

To be fair, I did think of a few negative reinforcement mechanisms but they would probably be abused too much so, I'll just say that I don't believe Blizzard can implement a negative reinforcement system to encourage a change in social behavior. They might be able to incentivize players into doing roles they are less likely to do but ultimately it would still need to be community driven.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    True but what if more responsibility was shifted over to the DPS instead of being on the tank or healer? Let's say it's a DPS mechanic where they have sacrifice DPS uptime to do X?

Nothing the tank or healer can do will mitigate the mechanic. This way if there's a wipe, it can squarely be blamed on the DPS for "being stupid".

I mean what if playing tank or healer gives guarantees (non-tradable) loot at end of dungeon or provides a "bag of resources" that's the equivalent of 5k gold?

To be fair, I did think of a few negative reinforcement mechanisms but they would probably be abused too much so, I'll just say that I don't believe Blizzard can implement a negative reinforcement system to encourage a change in social behavior. They might be able to incentivize players into doing roles they are less likely to do but ultimately it would still need to be community driven.
    I mean, even if you can square it on the DPS being stupid, it's not gonna make them play heal or tank, same with the guarantee loot and gold bags. I don't believe it would change anything. those DPS will see this and think "that's cool!! more people will play tank and my queue as DPS will be shorter!! great!!"

over the years I've seen A LOT of dps players being pointed out as stupid for screwing up the same thing over and over, it didn't make them concider playing tank or healer but more likely convinced them to not even try those roles.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Blizzard?

No, the question should be. What are YOU doing to solve the shortage of tanks and healers? Are you playing a tank or healer? are you making life for your tank and healer easy? or are you standing in everything and pulling extra shit? When your tank and healer make a mistake or "Underperform" are you being rude? or helpful?

Blizzard has nothing to do with the shortage of tanks/healers. Playing a tank and healer is actually fun, do you know what makes it not fun? the playerbase
    Main: Brew master
    Alts: Resto druid, holy priest, resto shaman
    Leveling(50s-60s): Prot paladin, prot Warrior, blood DK, vengeance DH, preservation evoker

I do think Blizz can make those roles better. Tanking is mindnumbing in raids, most of the time you only need to know when to taunt and where to stand. There should be more Healer specific mechanics too. And make it more obvious when DPS do something wrong, so it's not just seen as tank/healer failure. Improve hybrids' ability to off-tank or off-heal, so they are more involved in the process.

More deadly mechanics to normal and heroics that can kill mythic raider tank if they facetank mechanics or are not doing them. Also allow unlimited combat ress but that uses alot of mana and gives a stacking dmg done debuff for 3-5min.

Main idea is to teach players to do mechanics even on easier difficulties but also allow them to recover from some of the mistakes.

If you fail once it should not be a wipe, fail twice you should be allowed to try to salvage the situation. Fail 3rd time you deserve the corpse run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    I've been a long time WoW player until about 1.5 years ago. How does the new expansion, Dragonflight, solve the shortage of tanks and healers problems?

Also I know Mythic+ is a popular feature, but I absolutely hate it because it's so difficult to get tanks for a group. Is Mythic+ in DF the same as before? This also leads to the issue of tanks and healers shortage.
    Not really that hard tbh. I would say its a bit harder to have healer instead of tank right now Tanking now is more like dps that go berserk mode on in m+ on raids tanks can go afk most of time just to taunt and correct position. Healer need to care all the around and keep his own dps on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    More deadly mechanics to normal and heroics that can kill mythic raider tank if they facetank mechanics or are not doing them. Also allow unlimited combat ress but that uses alot of mana and gives a stacking dmg done debuff for 3-5min.

Main idea is to teach players to do mechanics even on easier difficulties but also allow them to recover from some of the mistakes.

If you fail once it should not be a wipe, fail twice you should be allowed to try to salvage the situation. Fail 3rd time you deserve the corpse run.
    how does that solve the tank/healer shortage? you really think that kind of stuff is gonna convice OP to play tank? lol....

it's not rocket science, either you find something to convert some DPS players into tank/healers or you wish new players falling from the sky are going tank or heal as a main role. good luck with that!!
    Last edited by Beuargh; 2023-04-14 at 07:46 PM.

Suggestion for raiding (that would harm M+ tank populations, but oh well)= Get rid of tank swapping mechanics. They aren't interesting, nor challenging to anyone above LFR; just an annoying excuse to force raids to take 2 tanks. Raids designed around 1/2/7 tank/heal/dps ratio would attract more participation.
    If there's no tractable way to increase the Tank/Healing populations, why not balance content around the natural population?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustov View Post
    Suggestion for raiding (that would harm M+ tank populations, but oh well)= Get rid of tank swapping mechanics. They aren't interesting, nor challenging to anyone above LFR; just an annoying excuse to force raids to take 2 tanks. Raids designed around 1/2/7 tank/heal/dps ratio would attract more participation.
    If there's no tractable way to increase the Tank/Healing populations, why not balance content around the natural population?
    Not sure you've thought this through. If every guild suddenly decided to drop all but one tank, we'd be facing a massive problem with tank players who want to raid. Who'd want to play tank if you can't get into any guild as a tank because every guild already has one?

That's already part of the problem with the tank shortage, it's much easier to find a guild as a DPS/healer than it is as a tank. And you want to make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustov View Post
    Sure, on those fights where that is the case. Other fights actually do need 2 tanks. Some even have room for 3.

WoW culture puts most of the pressure in M+ on the tank. No particular reason that it has to be that way, but that's how it goes most runs. As Preach recently said in interview with Blizz dungeon designer, "I shut off half my brain when I play dps. Something special needs doing? Tank will figure it out." Tank drives the bus; everyone else tends to ride along. Yes there are exceptions, but this has become the norm. And as long as tank gets stuck with the responsibility, most players will avoid the role since they would rather just pew-pew.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Not sure you've thought this through. If every guild suddenly decided to drop all but one tank, we'd be facing a massive problem with tank players who want to raid. Who'd want to play tank if you can't get into any guild as a tank because every guild already has one?

That's already part of the problem with the tank shortage, it's much easier to find a guild as a DPS/healer than it is as a tank. And you want to make it worse.
    Great point! It does seem weird that there is one tank/dps ratio for dungeons and another for raids. I mostly tank M+, but swap to DPS for raids because the guild I joined already had two raid tanks.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

To fix tank shortages, bring back 10 man raiding. More main spec tanks then, I know I will be one, and at least 1/4 of my raid team.

Not because 10 man is better (which I think it is) or easier or w/e. Purely because more teams = more tank spots.

1+ Year Old Account
    I'm not seeing a tank shortage in M+. I quite literally don't.

I did some tanking for several weeks myself, but then I noticed that after +15, I got declined a lot even as a tank with 2200 rio and 408 ilvl, while a lot of other groups in the group finder already had a tank.

Then I just switched to dps and really didn't see a drop in the speed at which I can get into a group. Sure I get more declines as dps, but I can apply to way more groups than as a tank.

And when I make the group, I never ever have to wait more than 3 minutes for a tank. I remember in SL I once waited for 20 min for a tank, that's when I decided to just tank myself.

So imo gone are the days when being a tank made you Jesus.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-04-18 at 10:03 AM.

I love to heal. Mained a Holy Priest through vanilla, BC and WotLK. Recently started playing DF again. And maybe it's just me getting older (46), but what the hell is going on in dungeons these days? Everything is a speedfest. Noone talks. Tanks running into packs of mobs. Either chaining packs all over the place, or even better, trying to wiggle their way through an invisible path only known to them, and then exploding when someone accidentally aggros.

It was like this during leveling, which I understand. Everyone is there for the XP. But now at level 70, it's even worse. Either noone talks and people just leave after a wipe, or people explode when someone makes a tiny mistake. It's baffling to be honest.

I gave up on healing, which is sad, cause I love it.
    I'm now playing a Hunter, which is cool. Hunters have a pet. Mine's a dino, and it's my friend. I often get it killed, yet he cares not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieJones View Post
    I love to heal. Mained a Holy Priest through vanilla, BC and WotLK. Recently started playing DF again. And maybe it's just me getting older (46), but what the hell is going on in dungeons these days? Everything is a speedfest. Noone talks. Tanks running into packs of mobs. Either chaining packs all over the place, or even better, trying to wiggle their way through an invisible path only known to them, and then exploding when someone accidentally aggros.

It was like this during leveling, which I understand. Everyone is there for the XP. But now at level 70, it's even worse. Either noone talks and people just leave after a wipe, or people explode when someone makes a tiny mistake. It's baffling to be honest.
    Depends on the level of content you are doing in relation to the gearing of the players. For instance, in anything under a +10 for "well-geared" players, I expect nothing less than chain-pulling / big pulls unless there's an affix preventing this.

The expectation on higher keys (+15 and above) is that players should know the general routing and have a good idea of what needs to be kicked/priority DPS targets.

Also we're at the season end right now so there's going to be less emphasis on learning and more on achieving X goal by 10.1 patch.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieJones View Post

I gave up on healing, which is sad, cause I love it.
    I'm now playing a Hunter, which is cool. Hunters have a pet. Mine's a dino, and it's my friend. I often get it killed, yet he cares not.
    End of patch experience mostly, everyone has already run them to death.

Unfortunately if you have a decent organized group healing is already back to being too easy so you end up dpsing 75% of the time.

I love the shortage of tanks.. It's such an easy role to play and you can stomp through dungeons. When TW hits I make a fortune, charging DPS 5K to get their 5/5 TW dungeons for their 402 piece. So far today I've made 200K.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I love the shortage of tanks.. It's such an easy role to play and you can stomp through dungeons. When TW hits I make a fortune, charging DPS 5K to get their 5/5 TW dungeons for their 402 piece. So far today I've made 200K.
    Wow token is like 230k, that's like less than minimum wage in the US lol

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    You want tanks or healers? Help them. Encourage them. Stop screaming if a pull doesn't go the way you want or if there is a wipe.
    Tanks can also stop acting like they are god gift to the ruin and that everything revolves around them. Tanks are just as toxic as anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Depends on the level of content you are doing in relation to the gearing of the players. For instance, in anything under a +10 for "well-geared" players, I expect nothing less than chain-pulling / big pulls unless there's an affix preventing this.

The expectation on higher keys (+15 and above) is that players should know the general routing and have a good idea of what needs to be kicked/priority DPS targets.

Also we're at the season end right now so there's going to be less emphasis on learning and more on achieving X goal by 10.1 patch.
    I WISH this were the case on higher keys. I skipped a week or two, so I got stuck with a RLP key. It was an utter disaster. Tank didn't interrupt anything and insisted on running giant pulls up the stairs and out of the boomkin solar beam, the rogue didn't interrupt or stun anything, and only the shadowpriest and myself (pres evoker) were interrupting with our 40 second cd interrupts. It was all I could do to keep us all from exploding from flamedance (thank goodness for tail swipe!) And no one used personals. When we didn't time it, they acted like it was all my fault. So yeah. I kind of keep to guild groups who know to interrupt and use defensives.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Tanks can also stop acting like they are god gift to the ruin and that everything revolves around them. Tanks are just as toxic as anyone else.
    But it does revolve around tanks. Tanks have to do everything starting with planning the route. Dpses do literally nothing that the tank doesn't also need to do. All affixes are tank or healer affixes. The one affix that affects dps is spiteful and the dpses end up facetanking them or stop to dps them when they need to move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Because TW is where it's at. You don't need a tank for TW. Of course tanking is easy for TW, you literally only need to be able to check the tanking box while you stay in dps...