Page 1 of 44
... LastLast

How is Dragonflight solving shortage of tanks and healers problem?

I've been a long time WoW player until about 1.5 years ago. How does the new expansion, Dragonflight, solve the shortage of tanks and healers problems?

Also I know Mythic+ is a popular feature, but I absolutely hate it because it's so difficult to get tanks for a group. Is Mythic+ in DF the same as before? This also leads to the issue of tanks and healers shortage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    I've been a long time WoW player until about 1.5 years ago. How does the new expansion, Dragonflight, solve the shortage of tanks and healers problems?

Also I know Mythic+ is a popular feature, but I absolutely hate it because it's so difficult to get tanks for a group. Is Mythic+ in DF the same as before? This also leads to the issue of tanks and healers shortage.
    Well, it is adding another healer? Everything else is in the player's hands. Can't solve tanking if players don't wanna tank, can't solve healers if players don't wanna heal. The solution isn't making more tanks or healers. I know some of the problems is the approach between the community and the roles they need to fulfill.

Edit: I did forget to add that we can do cross-faction invitations to Mythic+ groups, just not queues.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-10-01 at 09:00 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Instanced content is open to both factions that will help in small ways. Beyond that while we have 5 person content it won't change too much.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It's not gonna change much. The issue is mostly that there aren't as many people that WANT to tank, particularly in PUGs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Instanced content is open to both factions that will help in small ways.
    Yeah, expanding the pool can make group finding more efficient.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Instanced content is open to both factions that will help in small ways. Beyond that while we have 5 person content it won't change too much.
    6 person content could be an option. 4 dps 1 healer 1 tank

As someone who only tanks and only does mythic plus i have never had a problem building groups ( assuming your playing the top performing specs ) with the FOTM specs. When i dps which is rare mind you i never had a problem getting into a group fairly fast as a Windwalker with a fairly high IO. Also you did not specify how long is to long, 5 mins? 10 mins? 20? Also you did not say if the key your doing is a dogshit key or not etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Well, it is adding another healer?
    It's a new healer with a high barrier to entry. Most people sticking to their mains aren't gaining access to a new heal spec that might entice them to try out healing. If Rogue or Mage had gotten a heal spec then there would be a much bigger increase in healers as the barrier of entry would be lower, since people wouldn't have to walk away from their mains that they have an emotional investment in and prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post
    Could do flex mode dungeons where you can have a party between 4 and 6 players.

it doesnt, bcs it cant...that is 100% player driven problem

then play a tank/healer yourself...
    you dont want to? well neither does shitloads of people, hence the shortage, its not a game issue its people issue...

5+ Year Old Account
    yeah or a an AI tank which you have to keep alive somehow

The community is toxic. That's why tanks don't want to PuG your M+ keys.

Nothing Blizzard is going to do will fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The community is toxic. That's why tanks don't want to PuG your M+ keys.

Nothing Blizzard is going to do will fix that.
    The dungeon bag can be a thing again, aka some unique mounts that you can only get if you are a healer/tank, transmog etc, that would push me a little to tolerate pugs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's a new healer with a high barrier to entry. Most people sticking to their mains aren't gaining access to a new heal spec that might entice them to try out healing. If Rogue or Mage had gotten a heal spec then there would be a much bigger increase in healers as the barrier of entry would be lower, since people wouldn't have to walk away from their mains that they have an emotional investment in and prefer.
    Doubt it, as it again would be a new healer, as well, doubt giving more healer options will give us more healers unless all classes get one and then we'll just have people picking it for faster groups without being able to do it. As well, I do not believe Rogue should have a healing spec, but a Tank, mage I don't mind but in the end, pure DPS picks their own, if they need healers or tanks, maybe they should invest in healers or tanks, or find a community to cooperate with.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account

It's in Blizzard's best interest to preserve the unique concept of a mid-range healer shown within the Preservation Evoker spec. If they can make that model successful, and fun to play, I could see more players giving healing a try. I believe that if Blizzard folds and makes Preservation just another 40yd healing spec, you're simply not going to get more players trying out the healing role.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, or, a DPS could learn to heal/tank.

Yes, that's actually an interesting aspect. We are so focused on the 3-1-1 formula, because it always was like that, but the problem you describe is as old as WoW. It never was good, so perhaps it's time to change it indeed? 1-1-4 sounds super reasonable at least to try it out for a season or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    It's in Blizzard's best interest to preserve the unique concept of a mid-range healer shown within the Preservation Evoker spec. If they can make that model successful, and fun to play, I could see more players giving healing a try. I believe that if Blizzard folds and makes Preservation just another 40yd healing spec, you're simply not going to get more players trying out the healing role.
    I would heal more if Shockadin was fixed to be a thing again, right now, not fun.

True, or, a DPS could learn to heal/tank.
    When I play a DPS, I want to DPS, not to heal or tank. For many classes the option to tank or heal doesn't even exist. It's the solution then to just stop playing that char?
    Doesn't make sense.

Doubt it, as it again would be a new healer, as well, doubt giving more healer options will give us more healers unless all classes get one and then we'll just have people picking it for faster groups without being able to do it. As well, I do not believe Rogue should have a healing spec, but a Tank, mage I don't mind but in the end, pure DPS picks their own, if they need healers or tanks, maybe they should invest in healers or tanks, or find a community to cooperate with.
    GW2 gave healing specs to classes that previously didn't have them (Druid for Ranger, Spectre for Thieves, and Scourge for Necromancer) and it turned out to be a more effective way of increasing the number of healers than adding new healer classes (Revenant). If you add a new healer class it doesn't matter because most people stick with their mains and don't want to switch. If you add a new healer spec to prexisting classes then people who are already playing thief now have an easy opportunity to try out healing. And we're talking about GW2 here, where gearing up alt classes are extremely easy compared to WoW, and even then people still stick with their mains. That is why giving new roles to preexisting classes that can't heal or tank is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Yes, that's actually an interesting aspect. We are so focused on the 3-1-1 formula, because it always was like that, but the problem you describe is as old as WoW. It never was good, so perhaps it's time to change it indeed? 1-1-4 sounds super reasonable at least to try it out for a season or two.
    3-1-1 is more than fine, the problem is in my experience, gameplay losing a lot of potential tanks and healers due to some people's approach to them, I know, as I've seen potential tanks/healers being chased away from ever wanting to do it by toxic people. The lack of tank and healer roles is all down to the players, if we miss it, we gotta supply it - for Blizzard's role, it is down to making healers and tanks feel different enough from each other to make it interesting to play, but also more or less make it worth their while tanking for people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    GW2 gave healing specs to classes that previously didn't have them (Druid for Ranger, Spectre for Thieves, and Scourge for Necromancer) and it turned out to be a more effective way of increasing the number of healers than adding new healer classes (Revenant). If you add a new healer class it doesn't matter because most people stick with their mains and don't want to switch. If you add a new healer spec to prexisting classes then people who are already playing thief now have an easy opportunity to try out healing. And we're talking about GW2 here, where gearing up alt classes are extremely easy compared to WoW, and even then people still stick with their mains. That is why giving new roles to preexisting classes that can't heal or tank is important.
    Yes, I know, and yet you still find people missing healers, or people claiming they are good for healer but aren't willing to set themselves into things. We should've give everything every role, then we might as well just start boiling down on things instead.

Also in general, tanking requires so much more preparation and skill than DPS and heal in m+, it's unreal.
    In many seasons you need to learn new routes through the dungeons, you need to pull the exact right amount and always pull as much as possible, but never too much. You dying or failing usually means failing the key.
    As a tank you can't just jump in and play m+, you need to know exactly whats going on right from the start.

As a dps or heal you just follow ans concentrate on damage and healing, nobody will ever know if this is your first time in that dungeon.